Cafe de Paris, Calvert Street and Connecticut Avenue in Woodley Park - Closed

Earlier today, I noticed a blue awning over a large window next to the Afghan Grill on Calvert Street, just east of Connecticut Avenue, emblazoned with the words "Cafe de Paris". I wasn't able to stop to investigate. Any idea what this might be?

I wonder if it is related to Cafe de Paris in Columbia...? I doubt it.

I tried to go in this place a couple weeks ago, and it was closed. I had heard favorable reviews, but I don't think many people stopped in. They did not advertise well, nor was their signage in the line of sight for most pedestrians. It's a shame... looked very promising.

I tried to go in this place a couple weeks ago, and it was closed. I had heard favorable reviews, but I don't think many people stopped in. They did not advertise well, nor was their signage in the line of sight for most pedestrians. It's a shame... looked very promising.

You mean this place opened, drew no customers, and closed again before I even noticed it?

I just called, and the gentleman who answered said they're reopening in a couple of weeks under new management.

I just called, and the gentleman who answered said they're reopening in a couple of weeks under new management.

Any clue what type of restaurant this is? Is it a legit French cafe? For some reason I thought that space was a coffee, sandwich etc type shop above the sketchy pizza/sub shop. But maybe I'm thinking of the wrong location.

I wonder if it is related to Cafe de Paris in Columbia...? I doubt it.

I don't think so - the Columbia Cafe de Paris (which closed August 9, 2014) was originally based in Laurel - you should know this, Pool Boy! This place had been open for a short while, and "closed for renovations" before not reopening.

According to this post on Yelp, the owner, a Tunisian gentleman, decided to concentrate on his limo service.

One day, the east side of Connecticut Avenue in Woodley Park may amount to something, but the payola system - assuming it's still in place - will need to be eliminated first. The quality of restaurants on that strip of Connecticut Avenue is as bad as it is on any block in the area, and there's no way they could stay in business without duped tourists.

The quality of restaurants on that strip of Connecticut Avenue is as bad as it is on any block in the area, and there's no way they could stay in business without duped tourists.

To be fair, there are wretched restaurants on just about any block of Connecticut Avenue you care to name (I guess excepting the 800 block).  A crying shame, considering it's the commercial backbone of NW Washington.

• Like 1