Snap, Crepes and Bubble Tea, Thomas Jefferson Street in Georgetown

I heard about Snap on washingtonpost.com's Going Out Gurus blog and was curious to see how the crepes and bubble tea tasted.

For those who may not know, bubble tea is a drink that originated in Taiwan. You have a choice of tea base (black or green) and you can add milk (or not) and various flavors (ex: mango, passion fruit, green apple, etc) and then the fun part - gummy bear like tapioca balls at the bottom that you slurp through an unusually large straw. Bubble tea's this great paradox of drinking and chewing your beverage at the same time. If you've never tried it before, start with the plain milk tea and work your way from there.

The store is located off Thomas Jefferson Street near the Barnes and Noble. It's a small, cute little storefront with a patio in the back to sit and relax in. (Oddly enough, it SHOULD have a restroom since it offers seating but the owner said there wasn't one and directed us to Barnes and Noble instead)

OK, I could go on about the menu and the decor but let's get down to it: the bubble tea bit ventworm nuts. Bit them and spat them out.

The drink was somewhat watery, no milky creaminess present. Worse yet, there wasn't much of a tea taste to the drink. There was a faint aftertaste and that was about it. The bubbles were overcooked, mushy and somewhat slimy. And worse yet, they were skimpy with the bubbles. Normally, you should have a layer of bubbles that are two to three bubbles high. We got one layer - that was ridiculous.

It wasn't a horrible drink - it wasn't undrinkable per se. It just wasn't done well at all. (I know there's a thread about complaining in restaurants but how would one handle this? Basically telling them their entire product line is not executed well? That would be really arrogant of me if I did that!)

As for the crepes, I've never been to France so I don't have a "golden standard" to compare them to. However, I've had some fantastic crepes in Greece (of all places) that burst at the seams with generous fillings in a well cooked thin crepe that was lightly freckled with brown spots (are crepes supposed to have a bit of brown?)

Where to go for a decent bubble tea? The one place in the area that does a good job is Ten Ren's Tea Time in College Park. They also serve a green tea noodle dish with pork and tofu that's sublime. Good dumplings, too.

Where to go for a decent bubble tea?  The one place in the area that does a good job is Ten Ren's Tea Time in College Park.  They also serve a green tea noodle dish with pork and tofu that's sublime.  Good dumplings, too.

There is also a Ten Ren's in Rockville that serves great bubble tea.

Forgot to add that the crepes were pedestrian. Edible but eh. Definitely not worth the $5 for the crepe.

They were pale and didn't have very much filling. In fact, it looked like a regular folded crepe with NO filling. We had all of 4(!!!) slices of banana in our dessert crepe. Aw, c'mon!!!!!! This was a bad as the one boba high layer of boba in our tea. Sheesh.

Filled and folded, the crepes were about 1/4" high. (In Greece, they're like over 1" high when filled and folded but as I said, never been to France so I don't know what a good, traditional crepe should be.)

Forgot to add that the crepes were pedestrian.  Edible but eh.  Definitely not worth the $5 for the crepe. 

They were pale and didn't have very much filling.  In fact, it looked like a regular folded crepe with NO filling.  We had all of 4(!!!) slices of banana in our dessert crepe.  Aw, c'mon!!!!!!  This was a bad as the one boba high layer of boba in our tea.  Sheesh.

Filled and folded, the crepes were about 1/4" high.  (In Greece, they're like over 1" high when filled and folded but as I said, never been to France so I don't know what a good, traditional crepe should be.)

I am with you regarding the crepes... When I asked about the paltry fillings the owner said that if there was more nutella it would be too sweet. I was starving and ate it. Should have had more nutella and banana! She has a crowd but I think it is the location.

Too sweet my @#$!. If you put enough bananas & almonds and fold the durn thing right, you'll get the right ratio of filling to crepe without huge pockets of Nutella.

I give the place 6-8 months tops. Not that I'm wishing ill will on them, it's just I can't imagine her having alot of repeat business with the products she's offering now. There's much to be desired. A bathroom for starters!

Too sweet my @#$!.  If you put enough bananas & almonds and fold the durn thing right, you'll get the right ratio of filling to crepe without huge pockets of Nutella.

I give the place 6-8 months tops.  Not that I'm wishing ill will on them, it's just I can't imagine her having alot of repeat business with the products she's offering now.  There's much to be desired.  A bathroom for starters!

oooh no bathroom. gross.

Yeah, she is taking advantage of two fads... it won't last

I really enjoyed sitting on the patio out back, reading the newspaper in the sun. Unfortunately, the savory crepe (turkey and ham) I had wasn't particularly great-- a few slices of deli ham and turkey with cheddar, it reminded me of something I would have turned out when I had one of those sandwich-pocket press doodads in college. The bubble tea was also very disappointing, for the reasons Gastro888 pointed out.

Interestingly, this place is credit only now (no cash). I talked to the owner about this while she was making my crepe. She said they did it for security reasons, since they are open late at night on weekends, on what is basically an alley.

I like the space, but was skeptical of the tea. I've had tons of bubble tea and was expecting something different. Their brewed green tea tasted like soap. I should have said something, but they were really busy. Still, I'll probably go back for that back patio: very charming.

I like the space, but was skeptical of the tea. I've had tons of bubble tea and was expecting something different. Their brewed green tea tasted like soap. I should have said something, but they were really busy. Still, I'll probably go back for that back patio: very charming.

Snap's bubble tea is the worst I've ever had. It tasted like milk powder and nothing else. Eeeeee-yuk.

Interesting story in today's post about Snap: Snap! Blap! Bop! go the speakers. Personally, I'm blaming the Gloria Estefan.
Despite her ruined stereo system, Uricoechea decided not to call the cops. "We have the possibility of expanding. I didn't want to get in trouble with the neighbors."
Expanding?! She has Georgetown residents irate enough to bash her outside loudspeakers to death in broad daylight. I'd say she's already in trouble with the neighbors.

snap in georgetown is now offering fish and chips!

the chips have been revamped and we are now serb=ving them with our own homemade sauces.

The feedback so far has been fabulous.

we recently began offering Okonomiyaki.

we are told that we are the only place where you can get okonomiyaki in the metro area.

we are trying to get the word out to the Japanese community. Westerners who have spent time in Japan also get excited to find we are serving this popular street food from Osaka.

someone even put us in wikipedia if you look up Okonomiyaki.

menu is at www.snapcrepes.com

I would highly suspect that someone associated with the restaurant put in the link in Wikipedia as it was an anonymous editor that did it and the only change was to put that link in. That's not even remotely the purpose of Wikipedia, so I had it removed (if anyone goes looking for it and wonders why they can't find it).

I thought I had okonomiyaki at the sushi place in Bradlee Center which I forget the name of. At the time I asked Escoffier about it as I wasn't familiar with the dish and he lived in the area and I thought he listed a couple places that had the dish. It could be that I'm thinking of a different dish though :-)

I would highly suspect that someone associated with the restaurant put in the link in Wikipedia as it was an anonymous editor that did it and the only change was to put that link in. That's not even remotely the purpose of Wikipedia, so I had it removed (if anyone goes looking for it and wonders why they can't find it).

I thought I had okonomiyaki at the sushi place in Bradlee Center which I forget the name of. At the time I asked Escoffier about it as I wasn't familiar with the dish and he lived in the area and I thought he listed a couple places that had the dish. It could be that I'm thinking of a different dish though :-)

Trezor: I will have to report you to Wikepedia. You are right: that is not the purpose of Wikepedia and that's why we were so surprised to find traffic on our website from Wikepedia. If someone is looking for Okominyaki in DC they will obviously not go to Wikepedia because they already know what it is! However, we were very proud to be listed there along with the comment.

We were obviously listed on there by a very satisfied client. I wouldn't be so stupid to mention it otherwise.

As I stated, I was (and am not) certain of who placed the link on Wikipedia. Typically on Wikipedia commercial links such as that are placed by the business or someone associated with the business. There is no harm done as I removed the link from the External Links section (which anyone can do) as it is not appropriate for Wikipedia, nor is it the intended use of Wikipedia.