So random, but I was walking near Panda Cafe near the GW campus and their window had a neon sign advertising bubble tea. Naturally, I am curious, but could not bring myself to venture in yesterday. Has anyone else tried it yet there?

Eta: This question applies to the Jasmine Garden food stand at the Dulles Town Center too.

Edited by goodeats

Discovered Snow Bots the other day - "Bubble Tea and Snow Cream".  Was in a bit of a hurry so didn't take time to inquire what snow cream is.  The website isn't very useful answering such questions.  Bubble tea (black milk) was just what it should be, and the regular portion at a little over four bucks was a bathtub worth of sugar.  I can' think what volume the large must be.  Open since last November.

1701 Rockville Pike Suite B9

Discovered Snow Bots the other day - "Bubble Tea and Snow Cream".  Was in a bit of a hurry so didn't take time to inquire what snow cream is.  The website isn't very useful answering such questions.  Bubble tea (black milk) was just what it should be, and the regular portion at a little over four bucks was a bathtub worth of sugar.  I can' think what volume the large must be.  Open since last November.

1701 Rockville Pike Suite B9

I'll venture that snow cream is the same as fluff ice, based on its site picture. A good explanation of fluff ice can be found on the Fluff Ice California-chain site. In a short summary, it's sort of like shaved ice, but fluffier.

---

Kung Fu Tea (porcupine)

And in other bubble tea news, Kung Fu Tea is now open in Rockville, at 275 North Washington St.

Interesting menu.  Note that the bubbles (or other things, like jelly or beans) cost extra.  You can customize extensively, including getting your drink more sweet (not shown on the website, but on the menu at the store), or with more or less ice.

This was a darn good bubble tea, with a clean tea flavor despite lots of milk.  I can't really describe nuances beyond that.  It's just bubble tea, after all.

"You can . . . get your drink more sweet."  Because bubble tea ain't sweet enough . . . .  Actually, what's interesting, and on the menu, is that you can get it *less* sweet -- with 70%, 50%, 30% or none of the usual sugar.

Not sure whether I want to know what "Green Wow Milk" is.[/size]

My friends and I just visited Kung Fu Tea this past Monday and really enjoyed the selection.  In particular, one friend got milk tea and was very happy to have the 50% sugar option as she said milk teas are normally a bit too sweet for her taste.

Here in DC, I've been visiting the Bubble Tea Licious food truck when it is in the area and enjoying the Thai Tea bubble tea.

I'm on a map kick again.  Here's my map of places in the area that serve bubble tea.  It's heavily weighted to bubble tea shops and bakeries over sit-down restaurants.  Happy to add suggestions, except that I don't want to overwhelm the map with restaurants that serve poor or mediocre product (there's a lot).

Does anyone know of good bubble tea in the vicinity of Mass Ave and North Capitol Street? I've never been much of a fan or connoisseur, but for some reason I'm jonesing for some. Tomorrow is my birthday, and I have a very busy day at work, but I might be able to sneak out at lunch for a treat (before dinner avec toddler at Sergio's in Silver Spring!). I'm not too far from Chinatown but only want to schlep over there in this heat for something good. I think the Penn Quarter Teaism is too far unless I get really desperate and decide to Uber. Apparently the Bubble Tea Licious truck is sometimes at Union Station at lunch, but they'll be in Franklin Square on Thursdays in August. Any intel would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Happy birthday, Don! (I think yours is either today or the 12th.) :-)

Clearly, much has changed since folks last posted in this topic!

So, I love this stuff. And I regularly get tea at Sharetea, in Chinatown. It is very nice. 

Year before last, a friend was spending a lot of time at Georgetown hospital. When I would take her there for chemo, or visit her there when she was hospitalized, I would stop and get us tea at Kung Fu Tea on Wisconsin, which is apparently still pandemic closed?

I have been to some of the places in Eden Center, but don't get to VA much, especially these days. I have been to the place in Pentagon City, same issue. Also, this place in Georgetown, on M Street. I have forgotten its name, but boy was it BAD.

And that is all I know locally.

So... one of the pandemic things is that Sharetea requires you to preorder. And my favorite tea can't be made the way I like it when you preorder it. I like "Ice blended black milk tea with boba," NO SUGAR. They won't let me do no sugar online. Sometimes I can get it, if I ask in the special order section, but... can't be certain what you will get. So I get regular, not ice blended, black milk tea, and can get it no sugar. I also enjoy ice blended Thai tea with boba, no sugar, but again... Seems they don't do any ice blended teas with no sugar on preorder. 

And now, I am looking for 2 things here. First, are there any places that I should try that are in DC? I am generally in Petworth and SW, and places between. Post-pandemic, I will be happy to go to the burbs, but now, have not so many reasons. Second, if anyone know of a place that will let me get frozen tea the way I like it, I will find a way to get there!

I have been very impressed with Gong Cha's     bubble tea.  Tapioca balls are the right chewy firm texture.  Didn't even know they existed in the area until the one in Rossyln showed up (in part of the space formerly know as Ray's the Third/Hell Burger).  But looking at the web page, they're all over Maryland, Virginia, and the District.  I usually have gotten either oolong or green tea with boba, half ice, half sugar.

My previous standard for bubble team was Ten Ren in Rockville.  But I think Gong Cha is better.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:56 PM, rbh said:

I have been very impressed with Gong Cha's     bubble tea.  Tapioca balls are the right chewy firm texture. 

It appears that the NY Ave one is not open these days. Although from a conversation today, may be soon.

So I had to go to Montgomery Mall today - the power cable on my MacBook died suddenly and that was where I could get one today. Quite the expedition, as I was going from work, in SW, and the security is still nuts. There's a Kung Fu tea in the mall. But I have had that, and there was a Gong Cha on the way home. So I tried it. I got cold Earl Grey milk tea with boba, no sugar, 30% ice. It was quite good. I also brought home a cold Earl Grey, 30% sugar, 30% ice, no boba, for the boy. He enjoyed it. (He likes boba, but says that they fill him up so if he has them late in the day, dinner is disrupted. I don't get it.) (He usually gets fruit, non-milk teas, but I think he was feeling rather Captain Picard today. Also, something totally new, not on the menu at our regular place. That's certainly why I got it!)

I had a brief chat with a woman who was there talking to folks as they picked up food. She was somewhere up the food chain in management. This was clearly a reasonably new location, as the only sign was a banner in the window of another establishment. She was chatting folks up, seeing what they wanted, and pushing the app for ordering. I mentioned this was not on my usual path and that I was hoping for a DC location. She pointed to a large pile of boxes, told me it was all destined for the downtown location, once the security let up. So, hope.

No frozen tea - they only freeze fruity slushy things. But the boba was right. And the tea was tasty.

11 hours ago, saf said:

It appears that the NY Ave one is not open these days. Although from a conversation today, may be soon.

So I had to go to Montgomery Mall today - the power cable on my MacBook died suddenly and that was where I could get one today. Quite the expedition, as I was going from work, in SW, and the security is still nuts. There's a Kung Fu tea in the mall. But I have had that, and there was a Gong Cha on the way home. So I tried it. I got cold Earl Grey milk tea with boba, no sugar, 30% ice. It was quite good. I also brought home a cold Earl Grey, 30% sugar, 30% ice, no boba, for the boy. He enjoyed it. (He likes boba, but says that they fill him up so if he has them late in the day, dinner is disrupted. I don't get it.) (He usually gets fruit, non-milk teas, but I think he was feeling rather Captain Picard today. Also, something totally new, not on the menu at our regular place. That's certainly why I got it!)

I had a brief chat with a woman who was there talking to folks as they picked up food. She was somewhere up the food chain in management. This was clearly a reasonably new location, as the only sign was a banner in the window of another establishment. She was chatting folks up, seeing what they wanted, and pushing the app for ordering. I mentioned this was not on my usual path and that I was hoping for a DC location. She pointed to a large pile of boxes, told me it was all destined for the downtown location, once the security let up. So, hope.

No frozen tea - they only freeze fruity slushy things. But the boba was right. And the tea was tasty.

I live in Howard County where we are fortunate to have both a Kung Fu Tea and a Gong Cha for when the mood strikes. I think the difference is... Kung Fu Tea marinates their boba in honey, Gong Cha in brown sugar. We have had over brewed black tea at Gong Cha, but easily remedied by ordering ooh long. We are boring orderers (mine is milk tea with pearls, 30 or 50% sugar, light ice) so I haven't tried the more exciting parts of either menu.

• Like 2

Tried a new tea place today - DC Boba, 1403 Park Road NW. No website. Place was clean, very simple, appealing. The young woman behind the counter was lovely.

Got a frozen thai tea. It's quite tasty, but the boba is too soft. Will have to try it again to see if that is how it always is.

The boy wanted nothing today, but is truly curious about what "Sea Salt Egg Coffee" might be.

IMG_6866.jpeg

IMG_6865.jpeg

17 hours ago, saf said:

Tried a new tea place today - DC Boba, 1403 Park Road NW. No website. Place was clean, very simple, appealing. The young woman behind the counter was lovely.

Got a frozen thai tea. It's quite tasty, but the boba is too soft. Will have to try it again to see if that is how it always is.

The boy wanted nothing today, but is truly curious about what "Sea Salt Egg Coffee" might be.

I have never had it salted, but egg coffee in Vietnam is one of the most delicious things I have ever consumed in my life. (it is basically egg yolk and sweetened condensed milk whipped and poured on top of strong coffee, hot or ice.) If anyone started selling it near me, I would be in big trouble!

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 9.28.28 AM.png

Edited by ALB
added image
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ALB said:

I have never had it salted, but egg coffee in Vietnam is one of the most delicious things I have ever consumed in my life. (it is basically egg yolk and sweetened condensed milk whipped and poured on top of strong coffee, hot or ice.) If anyone started selling it near me, I would be in big trouble!

Hm. I expect he will have to try that. The folks there appear to be Vietnamese.