2004 Bussola Amarone

hmmboy

The '04 season in the Veneto IS THE GREATEST EVER FOR AMARONE (source: Romano Dal Forno who expects his '04 amarone to be his first 100 point wine ((96 amarone was 99 from Parker and '97 was 98)) along with his '03 recioto just released and also his greatest ever (again, his words). Little of the Dal Forno '04 will come to the states; most will go to Russia, China, India, Dubai, Japan, Europe-it will all see for inflated priced there as THE cult wine from Italy. Alternatively, the '04 TB Amarone from Bussola is also his greatest ever. Probably $150 or so, which is quite a bit less than $550+ for the Dal Forno. Absolute steal of the year will be the TB '04 Valpolicella which will blow away most lesser amarones at about $35.

Anyway, all of this is truly great wine. And, it all needs a year or two or more in the bottle.

Joe - you were right. I have had Bussola'a 2004 Amarone TB Vigneto Alto 3 times in the past 20 days (this is the cuvee that goes for the $150+ - the straight TB 1/2 of that and the BG 1/2 of that). I have returned to it to consume larger quantities - mostly to validate my previous impression. It is the greatest Amarone I have ever tasted. I have tasted many vintages of Quinterelli and Dal Forno ( but not their 2004s) and most of Bussolas wines - but this is the finest ever. Good call.

• Like 1

Thanks, I will definitely try it!!!

I had a magnum of Dal Forno '97 Amarone which I opened a year ago when I hosted an important dinner. To this day it is the greatest wine that I have ever had. I have another bottle of his '97 (both of which I bought from him) which I'll open in another year or so. His '96 was incredible, too. But, honestly, I've had his '98-'02 now and all of these pale to the '97.

I also like Sergio Zenato and know the '01 TB but not the Vigneto Alto. The TB was excellent amarone! At a much lower price point (around $65 from the Wine Library) try the '04 Tenuta Chicherri Amarone. Retails around $85 but this is an incredible wine with very limited distribution in the U. S. I just took delivery of a case two weeks ago and the one bottle we opened (one + hour of decanting) was a great wine, especially for the money.

I WILL try the TB Vigneto Alto '04. Thanks! Really appreciate the recommendation.

Sorry, it took me a while to respond.

All of Bussola's 04s are good. The Classico in the new very ugly label is a relative bargain. Mr Bussola's other wines are only a bargain if you compare them with Dal Forno and Quintarelli. Of course I mesyel prefer the latter two when I can get them and when I can afford them.

I have fallen hard for Amarone. What are the best sources locally to procure this stuff?

AT $65 and up per bottle, especially over $100 the $2 per bottle shipping price means virtually nothing. It's more about who has the lowest price and you trust. I've bought a lot of amarone from both the Wine Library and Grapes in CT. Grapes will negotiate on a case. Circle sometimes carries Sergio Zenato at a 20+% discount. (I'm waiting for the '04 Sergio Zenato) The WL still has 2004 Kurni which, while not an amarone, is a fantastic wine that is unknown in the U. S. It retails about $110, sells for $85 and was called by Parker (?) "If Romano Dal Forno was from Marche." Try Winezap and Wine-searcher while researching price for various amarones. Use wines that are "tre biccheri" for, say, 2004. This will be a list of 15 to 20 amarones and is usually dependable; a number of them on the list do not come into the U. S. or are hard to find here (i.e. Tenuta Chiccheri, Tenuta Sant Antonio) I hesitate to buy from the West Coast although I've had good experiences from both Wally's and Wade's Wines in the L. A. area. Advantage of the WL is that you order one day and it is literally delivered to your door the next with Fed Ex tracking numbers, etc. The Wine Chateau claims to be among the cheapest also but I have not bought from them yet. I haven't found the same "sophitication or knowledge from their phone agents that I have with the Wine Library.

Locally, Circle, MacArthur, Schneider's, C/W-the usual. If you're willing to buy by the case most will negotiate especially now. Arrowine is good in Arlington; lately, I've found Cecile's in McLean ("Wine.com") is willing to go out of their way and source wines while also knocking 20% or so off. I'm certain that Joe Riley on here would be an excellent source, too. The key to the best price is your willingness to make an investment of sorts and buy at least a six bottle case, if not a twelve bottle case..

Starting over on my search for Amarone. After having tasted a lot of better amarones in 2012 when doing an alpine tour, I really need to bulk this up in my cellar (which is hilarious, because my cellar is a closet).  Any updates on local sources? I'd suggest online sources, but I am in MD and I cannot have retailers ship to me, just wineries actual direct producers.