Eating at Home Depot

One of the joys of going to Home Depot has to be the food offered at each location. I think it shamelful that this important segment of the DC area dining scene is ignored! Well, dammit, no longer! :P

Silver Spring/Tech Park used to have two competing Lunch Trucks with tacos and pupusas before the Maryland department of health or department of consumer affairs began protecting our interests by running them off! There was nothing like a hot of the grill taco with a smear of onions & cilantro from one of the trucks or a pupusa from the other in terms of food bang for the buck (and it was litterally one buck!) Bring back the trucks!

The Tech Park Home Depot still has a pretty good food choice: deeep fried half smokes. Yes, a half smoke doesn't ahve enough fat in it already, deep fry it and have it on a box store dripping in grease from an automatic deep fryer (you drop the smoke in one one end and the finished crispy sausage pops out the other). They have 3 kinds of mustard and more kinds of hot sauces. Better than any street cart half smoke I have ventured to try in DC!

There is a Home Depot on Georgia where it intersects with Connecticut avenue in Aspen Hill. This one also has a cart offering half smokes. But these half smokes are steamed and devoid of flavor. Avoid!

We also frequent the Home Depot off Central Avenue (exit 15 from the Beltway, who know what the area is called!) due to its proximity to a Restaurant Depot. They have a truck offering North Carolina BBQ which tastes like frozen chopped BBQ and coleslaw from a carton. If starved and pressed for time, I would go there instead of the local Checkers or A&W.

Silver Spring/Tech Park used to have two competing Lunch Trucks with tacos and pupusas before the Maryland department of health or department of consumer affairs began protecting our interests by running them off! There was nothing like a hot of the grill taco with a smear of onions & cilantro from one of the trucks or a pupusa from the other in terms of food bang for the buck (and it was litterally one buck!) Bring back the trucks!
There are taco trucks close by at the DMV that are pretty good.

Nice thread. Unfortunately, the slam-dunk answer is the Home Depot off the Fairfax County Parkway at Lee Highway/West Ox. No comparison! Within footsteps is the Costco (best darn pepper-smothered sausage around), as well as Sakoontra (best Thai restaurant in Fairfax County) as well as Gigunito's Italian Sandwiches (right up there with the Italian Store).

Nice thread. Unfortunately, the slam-dunk answer is the Home Depot off the Fairfax County Parkway at Lee Highway/West Ox. No comparison! Within footsteps is the Costco (best darn pepper-smothered sausage around), as well as Sakoontra (best Thai restaurant in Fairfax County) as well as Gigunito's Italian Sandwiches (right up there with the Italian Store).
Doesn't count. I am only talking about the food sold on the Home Depot parking lot or on the street fronting it! :P

The guy inside the Italian sandwich kiosk outside the Seven Corners store was ranting to his customers about being shut down by Home Depot in mid-January, and asking them to call HD and complain. He said they wanted the space for stacking bags of cement.
While bags of cement may taste better than some of the food I have had Chez Depot, this is criminal! I will try to get there before the Sausages are gone! Save the Sausages!!! :P

This is a slight aside, but only slight. Robyn and I were at the Home Depot in Chicago (the one on North if you must know) and we saw a woman go up to the food window of the cart thing inside the store and ask for a bag of doritos with nacho cheese poured into the bag. We were hung over already but that made me want to wretch.

There are taco trucks close by at the DMV that are pretty good.

Those MVA taco trucks are practically indispensible as far as the mid-county HD's are concerned: Rockville/Gaithersburg's has a rather forgettable dog cart, and Germantown has nada unless you can derive sustenance from gnawing on Grace Vycor® butyl self-adhesive flashing. Which, despite my chosen nom de guerre, I can't.

Yet another reason to appreciate the Kentlands Lowe's, where I can at least dash around the corner for a curry puff from Hot Breads.