Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

Really?  I think forcing a personal correlation is what makes it effective, like getting a hostage-taker to use the victim's name.

PS--You posts count is going backwards.

I was thinking of the "I'm special and going to get what I want" hysterical screamers and ranters looking for any chance to take offense, and can see the "Who the hell do you think you are talking about what happens in my house?" reaction.

Plus it takes away from the main thrust of the message which Barbara captured so clearly, if perhaps a little too bluntly for your stated purpose.

I was thinking of the "I'm special and going to get what I want" hysterical screamers and ranters looking for any chance to take offense, and can see the "Who the hell do you think you are talking about what happens in my house?" reaction.

Plus it takes away from the main thrust of the message which Barbara captured so clearly, if perhaps a little too bluntly for your stated purpose.

My goal is to present a realistic set of expectations so that the guest can make an informed, responsible decision--or can self-identify--before he is seated.

My goal is to present a realistic set of expectations so that the guest can make an informed, responsible decision--or can self-identify--before he is seated.

You are trying to get assholes--make that HUNGRY assholes--to make informed, responsible decisions? Rotsa Ruck.

I think you should just go ahead and give your plan a try. Can't hurt; might help. The only thing I would change is to first state clearly how your system/List works. Then just point to it when the whiners start in on you.

How about someone who does not agree with my approach, who thinks I am out of line? Is there something inherently offensive and wrong in my position? Is there harm in being honest and letting the individual choose? Does an offended individual have a right to more than just depriving me of his patronage and hard-earned money?

Edited to add: Just a quick note: However much criticism of Ray's is indeed valid, the assumption of motives of greed is made in ignorance. The baseless, personal accusation of greed made in this forum is as offensive as it is proudly ignorant.

How about someone who does not agree with my approach, who thinks I am out of line?  Is there something inherently offensive and wrong in my position?  Is there harm in being honest and letting the individual choose?  Does an offended individual have a right to more than just depriving me of his patronage and hard-earned money?

Your house, your rules. As long as they are applied to everyone equally, you can toss out offended individuals all day long. There is no law that says you have to take abuse from anyone just because you're running a business (even if it's a service oriented business). I've never felt restricted by your unwritten rules, I won't feel restricted if you write them down.

...we are back to screaming, hysterical threats at the door and waits of 45 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or more being normal even if you check in by 6:30 (6:00 on Saturday).

You could always refer them to The Cheesecake Factory. If they're screaming at you, I think they might have a coronary when they find out the wait over there often runs to the three hour mark. And then neither you nor any other restaurant would have to put up with their barbarism again.

"...please consider other dining options before being seated.

Michael Landrum

Owner"

So what do you all think?

I'd suggest perhaps "Our Guests" instead of "Sir or Madam" (a little more squishy/friendly), and "before asking to be seated" (potentially keeping them away from the host stand altogether).

The fact that you haven't resorted to the all-bases-covering list of slaps upside the head that adorns some menus/websites speaks to your patience, good grace, and desire to elevate the level of discourse.

Edited to add:

Since when does not wanting to get yelled at for having a wait for your tables equal an elitist attitude?

How about someone who does not agree with my approach, who thinks I am out of line?  Is there something inherently offensive and wrong in my position?  Is there harm in being honest and letting the individual choose?  Does an offended individual have a right to more than just depriving me of his patronage and hard-earned money?

Your approach is perfectly reasonable.

Certain overly sensitive people might take offense, but if they stop and give a moment's consideration to why you have had to resort to this, would likely understand what has pushed you to this point, and would probably approve of your desire to protect your staff from abuse. Those people who would continue to feel offended are likely to be the sort of people at whom this is aimed. If they decide to go elsewhere, that's probably the best possible outcome for everyone involved, except perhaps for whatever restaurant they end up in.

Post it.

I'm not a fan of walking into a restaurant and being handed a list of rules. It totally ruins the atmoshphere and the vibe for me. HOWEVER...

A brief note on the door reminding people to be civil isn't a bad thing. Personally, I don't think it will do much good other than making you and the staff feel better, which is certainly a good reason to have it. If having it makes it feel easier for you to throw assholes into the street by their necks, then go for it!

On the letter itself:

Had you considered adding a line apologizing that the wait is long? The letter does a good job explaining the situation, but the tone leans slightly towards "this is the way it is, so can it!" Just a thought to soften it a little.

In the end, it comes down to Be Nice or Leave!

Good luck!

Unfortunately, you can't please everyone, no matter how hard your good intentions. As others have said, it is your restaurant, therefore you get to make the rules.

Anyone who has taken a few minutes to talk with you or just observe how happy your wait staff is or how much you seem to enjoy when your customers are having a great meal will recognize your true intentions. Most people that have either dined there before or see how small your restaurant is despite the great reviews should see that your efforts are about pleasing people and giving as many people the opportunity to enjoy as possible, not to maximize profits.

With that said, you do create a dilemna ... by having so much good food I tend to over eat. Once that takes place and my over stuffed stomach finds a way to still squeeze in that wonderful key lime pie, I then have the difficulty of trying to figure out how to get up so that others in waiting may come in and enjoy themselves.

Seriously though ... your phone message already indicates how small the restaurant is and that you are trying to do the best you can. Your menu has some verbage about the small operation. At this point, just ask people to be patient and polite and if they can't or won't, they may be asked to leave. There really isn't anything else you can do (legally).

Michael, I've been telling you for months, but you, cyberphobe, are too obtuse to understand, that a computer system can solve these problems for you. People don't care about notes and signs and placards and elegantly reasoned principles, they just wanna eat. Ray's is not the only good restaurant in the world -- why don't the others have your problems? What you need to do is hire some kid (I know one who can do it if he has the time) to devise some simple software, and then let it do its thing. It's hard to ignore the possibility that you get some sort of sexy charge out of screaming out what you consider to be irrefutable logic in fancy language, and then being ignored or opposed by the scrofulous masses. Get with it. Grow up. Go computer. Or just humbly accept success.

My guess is that a computer system won't help -- taking reservations got him yelled at and not taking reservations seems to be about to do the same. Others don't have his problems because they are larger places, or less attractive ones.

I think the only thing that would thin the herd is higher prices, and I, for one, certainly wouldn't welcome that change!

My guess is that a computer system won't help -- taking reservations got him yelled at and not taking reservations seems to be about to do the same. Others don't have his problems because they are larger places, or less attractive ones.

I think the only thing that would thin the herd is higher prices, and I, for one, certainly wouldn't welcome that change!

Maybe he should set up a "floating" restaurant. Every night it appears in a different location and is gone the next day. Or maybe he should board up the windows and put up a big "condemned" sign. That way only the right local, neighborhood people would come.

The old reservation system was a bit rough. Certainly something like OpenTable would make things easier for you, Michael. But they'd ALSO make things easier for the kind of people you want to avoid. I think based on your whole philosophy keeping with walk-ins rather than reservations is probably your best bet.

Or maybe get a trap door that you can toss your unsavory customers into to do battle with the Rancor would help.

I think the sign, if softened a bit to make it warmer, would get the sentiment across. I don't think it hurts to give it a try.

I was wondering if you (Michael) have thought about OpenTable.com?

Or, would that be a cost passed along to your customers?

edited to ask another question, what the heck!: What are the hours at Rays? We'll be taking my in-laws there in a couple weeks.

The old reservation system was a bit rough. Certainly something like OpenTable would make things easier for you, Michael. But they'd ALSO make things easier for the kind of people you want to avoid. I think based on your whole philosophy keeping with walk-ins rather than reservations is probably your best bet.

I'm happy to eat at the restaurant no matter what the rules are. My knowledge of Open Table is limited (I'm not in the business) but I believe you can block out periods of time for your own use (say, for walk ins) and use the system for the rest. I don't know how much good handwritten signs are going to do. I understand that you wanted to go back to being more of a neighborhood place, but that could take as long and be as successful as regaining virginity :)

Perhaps someone who uses Open Table at his/her restaurant can give more information, but I guess you have to pay to use it too.

Perhaps someone who uses Open Table at his/her restaurant can give more information, but I guess you have to pay to use it too.

Per hillvalley from the OpenTable thread:

"From the official OpenTable sales kit:

One-Time fees: Set-up and Activation is $1295 per restaurant which includes the computer console, configuration, installation and training.

Monthly fees: $199 for technical support & marketing

Cover fees: It's $1 per seated cover if they go through the OpenTable site...the party must cancel through the system or call the restaurant to cancel them out or else they are considered no shows. The restaurants are not charged cover fees if the reservation cancels prior to the reservation.

If the reservation is made through a link on the restaurant's site, they are charged a $.25 per seated cover. Phone reservations made manually are not charged.

There are tons of other fees associated with the system depending on what you want/need...desktop software for the back office, remote access, card printers, the 1000 pt. club, etc."

My guess is that a computer system won't help
I hear Umpa Lumpa's singing in my ear...what do you do when the diner's a brat? Veruka wants a seat. If she can't have it, she is going to scream. Frankly, send her elsewhere. Whether you chisle her name in stone with a pick axe or use fingerprint ID technology she isn't happy waiting. Hosts at OpenTable restaurants get berated all the time. Trust me, it's not fun or easy taking it either!

Good luck with the sign, Michael, I suggest blowing it up to poster size & replacing your front box reviews with it...obviously they know "this neighborhood joint offers some of the best beef in town" (WP.com) already. :angry:

[This post in now way reflects my professional opinion! :) ]

Per hillvalley from the OpenTable thread:

"From the official OpenTable sales kit:

One-Time fees: Set-up and Activation is $1295 per restaurant which includes the computer console, configuration, installation and training.

Monthly fees: $199 for technical support & marketing

Cover fees: It's $1 per seated cover if they go through the OpenTable site...the party must cancel through the system or call the restaurant to cancel them out or else they are considered no shows. The restaurants are not charged cover fees if the reservation cancels prior to the reservation.

If the reservation is made through a link on the restaurant's site, they are charged a $.25 per seated cover. Phone reservations made manually are not charged.

There are tons of other fees associated with the system depending on what you want/need...desktop software for the back office, remote access, card printers, the 1000 pt. club, etc."

That sounds exorbitant to me. Your own system would be easy to set up and have no carrying costs. The startup cost would be the computer and the development of a relatively simple piece of software. The advantage of OpenTable from the point of view of the consumer is that if he (she) can't get the reservation he wants, he can simply switch restaurants. Ray's, with its unique qualities, doesn't need that service.

I like the secret passcode approach that you use at the Nano-Lab. Try that.

In all seriousness, putting up the sign is quixotic at best. The sign is for the few amount of assholes out there. Part of being an asshole is not knowing you are one. Trust me, I know. Maybe.

Those that read it won't care. Those that don't read it probably won't enjoy having it brought to their attention. However, if you do post it, it could make for some great street theater on those benches Friday and Saturday night! :)

I think you should post the sign, but you should change the text to "Those who are assholes do not get fruit cup."

Next to the sign, place a bowl of individually wrapped, mint-flavored chill pills that your (potential) guests can nibble on while contemplating what the deal is.

Either that, or stop serving demitasses of hot chocolate to your diners and instead serve demitasses of Kool Aid laced with ecstacy to those waiting for a table. This may bring along the most dramatic positive change to your clientele, but it could be problematic and unsustainable, however, what with the price of ecstacy these days.

You could always ask Congress to step in and issue $100 tax credits to every diner in America to serve as baksheesh for putting up with your revolting door policy and high prices.

Michael. My friend. I'm always there for you. I hope this helps. :)

I think you should post the sign, but  you should change the text to "Those who are assholes do not get fruit cup."

Next to the sign, place a bowl of individually wrapped, mint-flavored chill pills that your (potential) guests can nibble on while contemplating what the deal is.

Either that, or stop serving demitasses of hot chocolate to your diners and instead serve demitasses of Kool Aid laced with ecstacy to those waiting for a table.  This may bring along the most dramatic positive change to your clientele, but it could be problematic and unsustainable, however, what with the price of ecstacy these days. 

Michael.  My friend.  I'm always there for you.  I hope this helps.  :)

Not to mention its appetite suppressant quality. Getting them stoned would likely be better for the business case.

It makes me sad that this conversation has to even occur. The fact that Michael has to ask people to be nice when they come to his restaurant is a sad commentary on what our society has become.

As for the computers, I like that he doesn't use them. When you go to Ray's, you go with the understanding that you will get a simply prepared but excellent meal in an environment where food is the focus.

Just my two cents.

It makes me sad that this conversation has to even occur.  The fact that Michael has to ask people to be nice when they come to his restaurant is a sad commentary on what our society has become.

As for the computers, I like that he doesn't use them.  When you go to Ray's, you go with the understanding that you will get a simply prepared but excellent meal in an environment where food is the focus. 

Just my two cents.

Ditto. Well said.

As for any signs, I'd say try to keep it simple if using one. Try and get it down to the essence of any message. "Please be kind," "Rude People Not Welcome," "I will wave my private parts at your Aunty if you are not civil," "Set a Good Example for Your Children," "Patience is Appreicated," yada yada yada....whatever works for you and the general message you'd like to convey.

Has anyone else noticed that DC area residents seem to have becoming somehow increasingly more rude over the last several years, or am I just realizing it more as I age?

Amazed that this much attention focused on this trivial issue. If you arrive and you can not sit within your acceptable time limits, move along. Believe it or not there are other places to eat, a shocker I know. With regards to people being rude, welcome to the world deal with it.

The other solution might be to take over the Fran O’Briens space. I hear it is vacant.

In the interest of disclosure. I eat there often I live in the area and generally go before 7:00 pm.

As for the computers, I like that he doesn't use them.  When you go to Ray's, you go with the understanding that you will get a simply prepared but excellent meal in an environment where food is the focus. 

I'm with Stephen on this one. I think that if HALF the restaurant was able to be booked with a reservation (to still allow for a significant number of walk-ins), and he used a simple computer system to manage this, everyone, including Michael, would be a lot happier.

It makes me sad that this conversation has to even occur.  The fact that Michael has to ask people to be nice when they come to his restaurant is a sad commentary on what our society has become.

Just my two cents.

The problem is that his restaurant is so small and his audience is so big. When he wrote earlier today that if (and I am bringing this up from memory) more steakhouses served better food at better prices, it would take the pressure off him, is exactly on the mark. He seems to be the only one to really care about serving well grilled, perfectly butchered meat at a reasonable price, compared to those who are trying to suck every dime out of the well-heeled, but manly, populace. He wants to be a "neighborhood" restaurant. This leaves out all of us who DON'T live in his neighborhood and have nothing comparable in our own. Do I hear a movement for Ray's to become a local CHAIN? :):angry::angry:

Maybe he should set up a "floating" restaurant. Every night it appears in a different location and is gone the next day.

But then he'd have to change his name to 'Nathan Detroit' :)

Kevin

"If you're lookin' for high-char I'll furnish the spot

Even when the grill is on it's never too hot."

Just remember, though, Mrs, McCloskie a good sport is not.

Wow, kudos to EVERYONE for picking up on the mega-obscure reference. Now let's enjoy our moment in the sun before Don comes by and deletes our off-topic one-liners, however hilarious they may be.

In the interest of topicality, here's my report on last night's visit to RTS:

Our three-top arrived at about 8.20, and we'd figured on at least an hour's wait. I was a bit worried that we might not be able to get in at all (given the stated waits at the 6.00 hour), but Michael cheerily took my name, and gave us a guesstimate of about 8.45. He took our cell phone number in case a table was to open up sooner. Best laid plans and all, my original figure ended up being closer to the mark. If we'd been a two-fer, I'm sure it would've been sooner. It's certainly worth the wait, but Michael did express chagrin that he hadn't been able to deliver on his original estimate. Short of standing behind a group of lingerers and intoning "GET OUT," ( :) ) I don't really see how much control he can hope to have over when a given table departs.

We started with the spicy cashews and a bit of bread, and then moved on to baby greens salads and a bowl of the crab bisque. The bisque was excellent as always, and much appreciated by all 3 members of the table. The +1 and I ended up benefitting from H's deep-rooted hatred of raw tomatoes... those babies were scrumptious.

I postponed trying out the scampi to make it a chateaubriand for 3 (when in Rome). Or 12, depending on how hungry a crowd you're travelling with. Despite our best efforts, we still ended up with a spare person's worth of take-home, with the +1 winning that particular game of Rocks-Parchment Paper-Fish Scissors. For dessert we had the dark chocolate mousse (mmmmm), and the white chocolate mousse (which was all the +1's, since neither H nor I like white chocolate).

Grace notes included the considerate presentation of our teetotallers' wine (San Pellegrino) in a marble wine cooler, the addition of some strawberries to accompany the mousse, the cups of hot chocolate, and Michael's generous sharing of his cashew preparation method.

And yes, we were good little eskimos and were out of their hair by the 90-minute mark. H has now added Ray's to her (very short) must-return list, so I expect to be back there to try the scampi soon. I can't wait! :angry:

We took my mom to RTS on Saturday night for mom's day .... we all had the bisque and the hanger steaks and they were great as always.

We were there when they first opened since we had the baby with us and didn't want to damper the atmosphere later as the place got busy.

We saw the disclaimer notes by Michael on a document about the restaurant that was distributed to the table prior to Michael handing out the menus.

I have one suggestion that may help you weed out more of the element you are hoping to avoid ... post that document on the board outside your restaurant next to the menu you have displayed. Some people may be more put off if they have waited to get a seat and don't agree with your reasonable policies. Also, you free up the table faster if they leave before being seated instead of after they are seated.

... not that I can even imagine someone reading your rules and getting put off when they are so close to nirvana.

Question for the Chateaubriand for Two fans - is there a possible way to share this one when each person has very different doneness preferences. I'm a rare/medium rare person and my +1 is a medium well/well person. Not a reason to end our relationship, but is anyone else in a similar position and have experience with the exceedingly good Chateaubriand?

Question for the Chateaubriand for Two fans - is there a possible way to share this one when each person has very different doneness preferences. I'm a rare/medium rare person and my +1 is a medium well/well person. Not a reason to end our relationship, but is anyone else in a similar position and have experience with the exceedingly good Chateaubriand?

Rare vs. Medium is possible, just like with any roast--inside vs. outside carvings--although your partner may find an unbalanced preponderance of char on the palate. Medium Rare vs. Almost Medium Well is also possible, with a higher risk of a disagreeable amount of char. Many people at Ray's, however, are surprised to find that they love the meat one degree of doneness less than that to which they are otherwise accustomed, for example, when they sample a bit of someone else's steak.

My first meal with my fiance took place tonight at Ray's (we were too excited to eat after getting engaged last night and opted for a champagne meal instead) and it went fantastic as usual. I had the Buffalo Mozzerella salad for the first time and must say that I have been missing out for quite a while. The mozerella was delecious and proved to be perfectly balanced for my tastes with the dressing greens, and tomatoes. My fiance started with her usual bowl of the crab bisque and it didn't disappoint. I followed my salad with a 2nd glass of the new Malbec on the menu, which paired perfectly with the cajun ribeye. In terms of heat/spice/sweetness, the cajun seasoning was much more subtle than the diablo. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the diablo sauce, but tonight the subliminal seasoning hit the spot. Delicious. Luckily for me, my fiance was called by a best friend and had to leave the restaurant to spread the good news of our engagement and I finished her remaining bits and pieces of the Shrimp Scampi and scallops(with her permission). Wonderful!

Michael, a thousand thanks to your great hospitality, you do too much! (fyi, my fiance passed on the wine at dinner since she had been drinking a bit too much over the weekend at her sister's graduation...that whole topic is several years away, but good joking nonetheless!) Thank you!

Tonight I got to dine at Ray's for the second time this week ... what a great week this is turning out to be. We got there at 7 and Michael recommeded a glass of wine while I waited for the rest of my party ... I forget the name of the wine, but it was amazingly drinkable for a 2005. I think it was a Cabernet, but I may be off. We were there for almost 2 hrs (it is Michael's fault ... he had that posting about the Evo and the things it may do to you and we were hooked on it way past our meal).

I had the requisite crab bisque and went with the 12oz NY strip since I had the hanger on Saturday. I was there with a former boss who is trying to woo me to his current job ... he let me pick the restaurant and then picked up the check .... the only thing better than RTS and great wine is free RTS and great wine! He had the House special (NY Strip with mushroom sauce and blue cheese crumbles I believe) ... and he loved it. It was his first time out to RTS.

Needless to say, the evening was great and I can look for my officially negotiated offer by tomorrow.

Point to note .... either we are really good at negotiating or drinking the Evo sends people into mad fits of submission. I don't suggest repeating my evening unless you trust the company you are with since your brain may escape into euphoria and all logic goes on holiday.

The service tonight was interesting ... we were taking our time because of wine and a ton of exhaustive negotiations but we never felt rushed and because of the weather mixing with late arriving parties, the flow of the evening never seemed off.

Cheers again to Michael and his excellent staff!

Needless to say, the evening was great and I can look for my officially negotiated offer by tomorrow.

Dude, I have to find out that you may take the job by reading donrockwell.com? :angry: Maybe I shouldn't read this board first thing in the morning. :)

Dude, I have to find out that you may take the job by reading donrockwell.com? :angry: Maybe I shouldn't read this board first thing in the morning. :)

Pete ... you have been a great unofficial supervisor, but yes ... DR.com is the place for breaking news and information :angry:

4 of us followed up HH with Ray's on Friday. I don't think anything more need be said about the steaks, sides, soups, or dessert.

What was remarkable was the story Herr Landrum related to us about how close he came to closing up shop in the lean times. The restaurant business is not an easy one. Even the best food and drink, the best business plan, the best location, the best owner and workers are not guarantors of success. The landscape is littered with really good restaurants that went under, some through no fault of their own.

We were also given some hints of things to come at Ray's the Classics. :)

I believe it is supposed to be a lot of seafood .... if Michael Landrum and Michael Hartzer can do with seafood what Michael Landrum has done with steak and crab bisque .... oh my ... don't get me started.

I still have to focus at work to earn my living!

I believe it is supposed to be a lot of seafood .... if Michael Landrum and Michael Hartzer can do with seafood what Michael Landrum has done with steak and crab bisque .... oh my ... don't get me started.

I still have to focus at work to earn my living!

The way I am describing the menu for SS is: the same great steaks (and prices) as at Ray's The Steaks together with featured seafood specialties plus some non-steak specialty grill items. Outside of the core group of Ray's The Steaks classics, Hartzer has a free hand to create as he will, the only mandate is to maintain a 50% food cost overall. He will not be re-creating dishes or style from Citronelle, where he was Chef de Cuisine, but will be bringing into play from all of his vast knowledge, passion and experience.

As anyone who was at the second-to-last dr.com dinner for 50, where I was the waiter, knows, Hartzer is also a tremendous workhorse who can bust it out like no other.

Overall, I think that Ray's The Classics will defy any and all definitions--not even I am prepared for what will evolve there, I am simply trying to put together a place and a team that I can step back and marvel at--and will become, simply, it's own place.

Overall, I think that Ray's The Classics will defy any and all definitions--not even I am prepared for what will evolve there, I am simply trying to put together a place and a team that I can step back and marvel at--and will become, simply, it's own place.
So, WHEN IS IT GOING TO OPEN????

Note: I talk about a salad in this post... beware... it is no ordinary salad

So on the advice of a friend, I followed my walk this evening with a nice meal. I chose Ray's because I was craving meat and I recalled how good my first meal at Rays had been. Also, another friend told me they had a great steak salad which seemed like a good idea.

I arrived at 8 knowing there would be a wait. Time passes when you have calls to make and emails to read. It got a wee bit chilly for a late May evening and I moved inside. There one of the servers asked if I would like coffee or tea. It never would have occured to me to get a warm beverage so I am glad she offered.

Once seated, I ordered the bisque and steak salad. The bisque was amazing. Really, it tastes like the beach if that makes sense. (oh that bread is deadly delicious... cashews good too)

Oh and then my salad arrived. Um, that is not a normal salad. No that is a salad on steroids. It shouldn't be called a salad. It should be called a devilly delicious treat of a salad. First, the steak is really good. The mushrooms and onions along with the blue cheese on top of the salad make for an excellent combination.

The service is great. I can't wait to go back. Looking forward to scallops and scampi. :)

OH and how do people have room for dessert???????

beware... it is no ordinary salad

Um, that is not a normal salad. No that is a salad on steroids. It shouldn't be called a salad. It should be called a devilly delicious treat of a salad. First, the steak is really good. The mushrooms and onions along with the blue cheese on top of the salad make for an excellent combination.

The service is great. I can't wait to go back. Looking forward to scallops and scampi. :)

OH and how do people have room for dessert???????

This is not your average wimpy salad with 3 strips of scraps on top, no, this salad is a delicious beast that will mock those who think they can get away with eating a lighter meal. I walked out of Ray's in disbelief that I could not finish a salad...it may have won the battle, but the war is just beginning...

This is not your average wimpy salad with 3 strips of scraps on top, no, this salad is a delicious beast that will mock those who think they can get away with eating a lighter meal. I walked out of Ray's in disbelief that I could not finish a salad...it may have won the battle, but the war is just beginning...
I agree it is just not right, a salad shouldn't kick your butt. Nor is it normal for a salad to produce substantial leftovers that really go beyond the recommended portions for a single meal. Yum.