Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

I don't make the effort to go to Ray's often enough. How much steak can you eat after all?

But the food is so damned good!

Scallops, hanger steaks (I have to try something else but how can I turn away my old favorite?), chocolate mousse. Two glasses of cava and we're out the door for an astonishly reasonable sum.

I have steak leftover for breakfast or lunch today.

We had a long chat with Michael--the gentleman needs a vacation. I hope that this upcoming break is brief, that Silver Spring opens soon and that if needs any help, he asks the community to help. Cause he is too valuable a resource to burnout and go away.

Now when can I go again before the closing?

Jennifer

A topical article in today's Food Section: Booking a Table? Be Patient, Flexible.

'In no particular order' my ass. <_< And to report that the restaurant is closing - as in perma-closing - without confirming it with someone directly? Oh, yeah, there's some responsible reporting.

I wish we could write the Post directly and tell them 'Hey, they're just taking a few weeks off to get Ray's The Classics up and running,' or 'What, the man can't take a vacation?', but sans input we'd just be speculating too. ;)

Of course there is a bias. The article also implies that it is bad that there were no available reservations. I think it just shows which places are popular, although the friendly factor is probably accurate.

Of course there is a bias.  The article also implies that it is bad that there were no available reservations.  I think it just shows which places are popular, although the friendly factor is probably accurate.

The Post helped create this monster. 2 million people read that it's a great steakhouse with extremely reasonable prices. For crying out loud! The place has 45 seats and 11 tables. 2 million into 45 doesn't go.

Reading the six posts above....when combined and edited slightly...would make a wonderful letter to the editor:

---

Regarding the article in today's Food Section: Booking a Table? Be Patient, Flexible. It almost seems like the Post is picking on Michael Landrum and Ray's the Steaks on purpose now. Why can't you just let it drop? It wasn't fair to put all that text under "Complaint": it's not really a complaint, it's just new information that people should have. And to put it first? And to report that the restaurant is closing - as in perma-closing - without confirming it with someone directly? Oh, yeah, there's some responsible reporting.

The article also implies that it is bad that there were no available reservations. I think it just shows which places are popular, although the friendly factor is probably accurate. The Post helped create any potential issues regarding availability of reservations at Ray's. 2 million people read that it's a great steakhouse with extremely reasonable prices. For crying out loud! The place has 45 seats and 11 tables. 2 million into 45 doesn't go.

Signed,

So um......does anybody know what's actually going on? Rephrase...does anybody who knows what is going on (Let's remember where we are, now... <_< ) want to spill it? It's been four days with plenty of speculation but no authoritative information! What's the deal??

From Tom's chat today:

"I'm closing because I have to find a way to bring the restaurant back to the neighborhood, where it belongs," owner Michael Landrum told me yesterday. "Even if it involves reformatting my operations."

The "closing" is most likely temporary; the good news is that his forthcoming restaurant in Silver Spring is getting closer to its due date."

ETA: The article discussed above wasn't in my print edition, apparently it is in others.

From Tom's chat today:

"I'm closing because I have to find a way to bring the restaurant back to the neighborhood, where it belongs," owner Michael Landrum told me yesterday. "Even if it involves reformatting my operations."

The "closing" is most likely temporary; the good news is that his forthcoming restaurant in Silver Spring is getting closer to its due date."

Also, keep in mind that the article discussed above does not appear in the print edition of the food section, only online.  So they should be able to easily amend it.

The article is on the back page of the Food Section in my copy.

[Maybe we can leave this thread alone until-and-unless Michael wishes to chime in. I don't want to lock it, but hopefully we'll give it a rest.

(Please don't reply to this by saying "Amen!" as that will just cause it to continue.)

Cheers,

Rocks.]

There's a silver lining to this possible cloud, and that is the fact that it is definitely not hard to walk in to Ray's and get a seat right now -- given rational expectations. My companion and I walked in to Ray's yesterday evening at 6 PM, waited about 10 minutes, and found ourselves with a seat with no problems.

I had the cajun ribeye, which was meaty and definitely not overseasoned -- the cajun-ness didn't make the steak unnecessarily spicy but instead gave it a gentle kick that didn't overpower the ribeye itself. My dining companion had the filet mignon with mushroom cream sauce, which I snagged a bite of and can say was very good. I didn't have enough to say more, but observational evidence (she tried to get all of the sauce up with the mashed potatoes after finishing the filet) suggests she enjoyed the dish.

We started with a bowl of onion soup -- not your traditional french onion, but also very good. The broth was dotted with little bits of beef that were savory goodness. We also split a Caesar salad, which was, well, a basic caesar salad. I kind of wish I had ordered the bisque instead, but I felt like something green to start.

Oh yeah -- the creamed spinach last night was also very good, with a texture that was just the right balance between spinach and the cream. I personally didn't have the mashed potatoes but I am told they were very good.

No matter what the deal with Ray's future is, anyone so inclined should get over there posthaste. Put your name on the list and enjoy the nice weather outside, wait for Landrumm to call you in, and have a great meal. Its worth it.

K

The Post helped create this monster. 2 million people read that it's a great steakhouse with extremely reasonable prices. For crying out loud! The place has 45 seats and 11 tables. 2 million into 45 doesn't go.

I agree the poor guy is overwhelmed, by all this press. We have eaten at Ray's 4 times in the last year. It took me a while to get my fist reservation, so after the first meal I started making a reservation while I was there in person for my next trip. Never had any issues. Customers can be so demanding of a small place. You have to know what to expect from a small local spot like Ray's. The service is not going to 4 stars., but you are going to get a great steak, good wine selections at below market prices. I hope it all works out for this place!

After hearing so much about Ray's for so long I finally made my way there a couple nights ago. I arrived shortly after 6pm and was able to be seated with my girlfriend fairly promptly. Michael was very upfront and pleasant about needing the table back in one hour, and as a fairly reasonable person, I had no problems with that and obliged.

I can only describe the food as almost criminally indulgant..I saved some of the flavorful hanger steak to bring home with me (along with a slice of key lime pie)so I would be able to prolong the very worthwhile experience.

I have since been kicking myself for only just going to Ray's since I live less that a mile away. I definately plan on trying to get back a couple more times before the closing date, and will keep my fingers crossed that everything works out for the best.

I know that Ray's built its well deserved reputation as being unique, but are there any other similar independent steakhouses in the area that are worth going to?

I know that Ray's built its well deserved reputation as being unique, but are there any other similar independent steakhouses in the area that are worth going to?

There is nothing similar to Ray's on the planet, that we are aware of. For similarity, you would have to clone Landrum and that technology it not very well developed at this time.

My husband and I had a real nice meal at RTS tonight. He had the New England Clam Chowder and Cajun Rib-Eye. I had the Diablo Shrimp Scampi and House Special Steak (NY Steak with Brandy mushroom sauce and blue cheese). It was full and there were people waiting outside. Michael seemed pretty happy, so far as I could tell. And from my questioning, I gather they will be re-opening there, but with a different format/structure.

I brought a huge hunk of steak home <_<

My husband and I had a real nice meal at RTS tonight.  He had the New England Clam Chowder and Cajun Rib-Eye.  I had the Diablo Shrimp Scampi and House Special Steak (NY Steak with Brandy mushroom sauce and blue cheese).  It was full and there were people waiting outside.  Michael seemed pretty happy, so far as I could tell.  And from my questioning, I gather they will be re-opening there, but with a different format/structure.

I brought a huge hunk of steak home <_<

you weren't the only ones. There were at least four sets of Rockweilers there tonight. ;)

Having been way behind the eight ball, and only been to RTS once (tonight will be #2, so excited) I have only had the Hanger steak....and loved it! That said, I think I'd like to branch out and experiment a bit more with the delicious offerings.

I was thinking of going with a diablo steak tonight, is there any cut in particular that the diablo spicing works particularly well with? Any sauce recommendations?

Thanks

Having been way behind the eight ball, and only been to RTS once (tonight will be #2, so excited) I have only had the Hanger steak....and loved it!  That said, I think I'd like to branch out and experiment a bit more with the delicious offerings.

I was thinking of going with a diablo steak tonight, is there any cut in particular that the diablo spicing works particularly well with?  Any sauce recommendations? 

Thanks

Diablo ribeye!

Having been way behind the eight ball, and only been to RTS once (tonight will be #2, so excited) I have only had the Hanger steak....and loved it!  That said, I think I'd like to branch out and experiment a bit more with the delicious offerings.

I was thinking of going with a diablo steak tonight, is there any cut in particular that the diablo spicing works particularly well with?  Any sauce recommendations? 

Thanks

I'm a big fan of ordering my steak with the crumbled bleu cheese, but I don't know how well that would go with the diablo sauce. You could always request the diablo sauce on the side.

And yes, I was one of the rockweilers at Ray's last night. Showed up at 6 with no reservation, got a table, and was out in about an hour. Finished off the last of my wine on the glider on the front porch.

And, while both Michael and the staff were extraordinarly tight lipped about the fate of Ray's the Steaks (even under intense questioning), the body language suggests that the rumors of its demise are exaggerated.

you weren't the only ones.  There were at least four sets of Rockweilers there tonight.  ;)

Why am I not surprised? <_< . I wish I hadn't been too full to get dessert, but the demitasse of hot chocolate hit just the right spot.

I think the leftover meat is going to become a steak salad tonight. It was cooked to a perfect medium rare, and I don't want to overcook it by attempting to reheat it.

Why am I not surprised? <_< .  I wish I hadn't been too full to get dessert, but the demitasse of hot chocolate hit just the right spot.

I think the leftover meat is going to become a steak salad tonight.  It was cooked to a perfect medium rare, and I don't want to overcook it by attempting to reheat it.

My leftovers will be converted into steak and eggs with a potato pancake tomorrow morning.

Went to Ray's for my second time last night and was not at all let down by any aspect of the experience (possibly the bickering of the 3rd wheel in our dining party complaining about her absent boyfriend, but there is nothing Michael could do about that). Back to the night. While waiting for our table, we enjoyed a fantastic Malbec outside on the swing (I forget the name, but Michael highly recommended it, and it did not disappoint me at all, if anyone knows what I'm talking about please let me know). It was a great way to get things started.

Once seated we had quickly made up our minds and ordered. I decided to try the NY Strip Diablo style. As we were waiting for my non-steak eating girlfriend's field greens to arrive we were very pleasantly surprised when a small appetizer sampling consisting of a small shot (think the hot chocolate espresso style cup) of the wonderful crab bisque, a scallop, and a shrimp. Wow, apparently this was the "2nd Class" service for Rockwell members. I extremely surprised and impressed since I have only been a member of this site for a few days, but wow am I glad I registered and started to participate. I had tasted the scallops the last time I went to RTS since my girlfriend had ordered them, and I was very thrilled to taste the succulant, garlic, blackened morsels again.

Shortly thereafter the main event landed on our tables. It was the first time in my life I had ordered a steak rare, and I was very glad I did. Not only was the Diablo sauce exceptionally well balanced, it did not overpower the natural flavors of the meat, which I thought were fantastic. While it was an exceptional cut, and I loved the Diablo sauce, I think I feel a little bit stronger about the hanger cut....or perhaps that was because the hanger was my first experience at RTS.

Anyways, everyone loved their food. For those keeping score at home, my girlfriend had a large bowl of the bisque and the salad, and the 3rd member of our party had the petite filet. Needless to say everyone at our table was extremely pleased with the entire evening. From the moment we could smell grilled steaks in the air as we walked down Wilson until I couldn't resist and devoured my take home slice of key-lime pie before I went to bed, it was simply amazing.

My next trip to Ray's will prove to be very nerve wracking though. I plan to take my girlfriend's father there to let him know that I have bought an engagement ring and plan on proposing to his daughter in April.

My next trip to Ray's will prove to be very nerve wracking though.  I plan to take my girlfriend's father there to let him know that I have bought an engagement ring and plan on proposing to his daughter in April.

In other words, you are going to raise the stakes.

Get him drunk first,

Rocks.

Nice write-up and welcome to the neighborhood. I would delete that last paragraph though, don't want to ruin the surprise. <_<

haha, thanks! actually the only surprise for her will be when it happens. She took out the guesswork for the ring shopping and came with me to pick it out.

The stakes will definately be raised.

Just finished off the leftovers of my key lime pie from last night. The crust is by far my favorite part of the dessert.

Which topping/sauce would you recommend for a rare Ribeye at RTS? I've enjoyed the diablo and had sauteed mushrooms with my hanger steak, but I am trying to branch out and sample a bit of everything from now until the 26th.

Went to Ray's for my second time last night and was not at all let down by any aspect of the experience (possibly the bickering of the 3rd wheel in our dining party complaining about her absent boyfriend, but there is nothing Michael could do about that).

As I've gotten to know Michael, I find him to be a very creative sort. I'm sure if he put his mind to it, he could have figured something out. Of course, the potential exists that it wouldn't be very savory. <_<

Which topping/sauce would you recommend for a rare Ribeye at RTS?  I've enjoyed the diablo and had sauteed mushrooms with my hanger steak, but I am trying to branch out and sample a bit of everything from now until the 26th.

If you haven't had something "house-style" you should. Brandy cream sauce, mushrooms and bleu cheese (although next time I may ask them to go a little light on the cheese).

If you haven't had something "house-style" you should.  Brandy cream sauce, mushrooms and bleu cheese (although next time I may ask them to go a little light on the cheese).

When I was there the other night, I got the house steak, which is a NY strip prepared this way. It was wonderful, but I had a lot left over. The helpful waitress told me that when I came back in the future (this is what got me on the track of asking what the future of the place was), I could order any size NY strip with the house preparation. (On the menu, you will see that there are several different sizes listed in the area below where the house steak is listed.)

The salad with leftover steak was great, by the way.

Montgomery County really needs Ray's to open. Tonight I wanted a steak, but did not feel like driving. There is no place unless you count the chains in Bethesda.

Michael - Please help us out.

Thanks.

So the one-on-one dinner with my future father-in-law at Ray's will have to be postphoned. He suggested taking me to RTS tonight since I have been telling him how incredible it is pretty much non-stop for the last week. However, my girlfriend is also craving some of the delicious scallops and bisque that she has come to love and wants to join us (who can blame her though) when we try to go tonight. It's no sweat off my back to postphone "the talk" with her dad, and I'm sure that introducing her father to RTS will get me some good points in his book.

I can't wait to try the ribeye tonight.....mmm

Are people having luck, in these past few weeks, walking in and grabbing a table on a weeknight? I want to try to make it over one last time before they close...

Went Sunday night at 6 to try and get a table for two. Had to wait til 7, but it was a nice night for a walk anyways. Definitely worth the wait.

And to his eternal credit, while every other store and restaurant closed down because of the water main break, Michael stayed open.

Last night was fantastic! From the gracious hospitality, to the great service, and of course, the mouth-watering food. I had the filet for the first time with the house sauce, and it melted into bits of pure goodness inside of me...it was definately a winner for me, but I've yet to try anything edible at RTS that hasn't completely hit the spot and then some. As my girlfriend is just starting the process of leaving the darkside (sorry vegetarians) and eating meat, she ordered her favorites: the crab bisque and scallops. Unfortunately for me, she didn't share this time. Her father had a 20oz NY Strip and said that it was one of the best he could ever remember having. He was definately glad I had been pestering (er, promoting)just how good Ray's is to the point where he had to go. Add another convert to the list, but with the delicious steaks/wine combonation that Michael provides his customers, it's makes it easy.

Next time someone asks me where to go for seafood, I'm tellin' 'em Ray's The Steaks.

...no, seriously.  Crab bisque, shrimp diablo, blackened scallops?!  Some of the best seafood I've had in ages.

Agreed 100%. I can't think of any words that can do justice for the crab bisque. The shrimp and scallops are also terrific! They work as a lovely "warm-up" for the steaks, but I could also easily see myself gorging on them sans steak

Agreed 100%.  I can't think of any words that can do justice for the crab bisque. 

There's a reason the bisque, scallops, and shrimp are so good at Ray's The Steaks, and the reason is Michael Hartzer, former Chef de Cuisine at Citronelle.

Michael Landrum will tell you many things, but I don't think he'll ever say he has the cooking technique of Michael Hartzer. You're getting Michel Richard's former right-hand-man here for under $10 an appetizer. Hello... you could make a case for Hartzer being a top-ten cook in the city along with Ruta, Ziebold, Richard, Pangaud, Cam, Donna, and pick three others.

Actually, I think Landrum probably can cook steaks as well.

Cheers,

Rocks.

There's a reason the bisque, scallops, and shrimp are so good at Ray's The Steaks, and the reason is Michael Hartzer, former Chef de Cuisine at Citronelle.

Michael Landrum will tell you many things, but I don't think he'll ever say he has the cooking technique of Michael Hartzer.  You're getting Michel Richard's former right-hand-man here for under $10 an appetizer.  Hello... you could make a case for Hartzer being a top-ten cook in the city along with Ruta, Ziebold, Richard, Pangaud, Cam, Donna, and pick three others.

Cheers,

Rocks.

And Landrum will freely tell you that the crab bisque recipe was perfected by Hartzer.

We celebrated a birthday last night with an early seating at Ray's, starting with one of each of the soups - my daughters loved the chowder and the bisque ( I never asked my husband about the onion soup), and I had the scallops, which were perfectly cooked. After convincing my 10 year old that she did not really want the 20-ounce new york strip medium rare, she settled for the petite filet, which she devoured (and it was her 4th meal of the day after a school lunch, an african feast post-lunch, and a pasta cooking class after school). My older daughter had the filet with brandy cream sauce, which she declared the best steak she has eaten (she did wonder what a steak would look like if ordered well done - I told her it would likely look like her "meat in a sarcophagus" experiment from 6th grade). The adults had another filet with horseradish cream, the house special, and a new york strip - it is a gift to the customers that Ray's always gets medium rare so perfect. Our only regret was that we did not order dessert as we already had a chocolate cake waiting (from Randolph's, so a good consolation prize) - my kids hope to return for the mousse. I also appreciated Michael's wise words to the girls about studying hard so they do not grow up to bus tables -but, if they have a successful restaurant AND bus a few tables, I could live with that.

I was delighted to get a brief tutorial from Michael one afternoon when I stopped by to pick up a quartet of uncooked ribeyes and he asked "Have you ever grilled a 2-inch steak before?" (He said they usually require a written test, but would make an exception in my case ... I must have looked hungy!) His instructions, tailored to my grill (versus the 900-degree behemoth at RTS), resulted in pure steak goodness. Almost as good as the RTS version! Thanks, Chef!

I was delighted to get a brief tutorial from Michael one afternoon when I stopped by to pick up a quartet of uncooked ribeyes and he asked "Have you every grilled a 2-inch steak before?" (He said they usually require a written test, but would make an exception in my case ... I must have looked hungy!) His instructions, tailored to my grill (versus the 900-degree behemoth at RTS), resulted in pure steak goodness. Almost as good as the RTS version! Thanks, Chef!

I got the same helpful treatment when I picked up a couple of cowboys (cue Brokeback Mountain theme music) last summer.

I was delighted to get a brief tutorial from Michael one afternoon when I stopped by to pick up a quartet of uncooked ribeyes and he asked "Have you ever grilled a 2-inch steak before?" (He said they usually require a written test, but would make an exception in my case ... I must have looked hungy!) His instructions, tailored to my grill (versus the 900-degree behemoth at RTS), resulted in pure steak goodness. Almost as good as the RTS version! Thanks, Chef!

Does anyone know if they also sell their Diablo seasoning "to go?" I would love to pick some up to get my fix of RTS flavor at home. I am having dreams of putting the seasoning on just about everything edible in my kitchen.

Does anyone know if they also sell their Diablo seasoning "to go?"  I would love to pick some up to get my fix of RTS flavor at home.  I am having dreams of putting the seasoning on just about everything edible in my kitchen.

Last time I picked up cowboys to go, I asked politely and was given diablo sauce on the side.

Some snibbets from a dinner at Ray's last night:

There were half a dozen other people from the Szechuan Boy dinner the night before also there.

Michael said if he told me what the mystery would be on Sunday there wouldn't be any mystery.

He said nobody knows, including him, how long the place will be closed.

He is not closing in order to concentrate on Silver Spring.

He is just overextended. On Tuesday, traditionally a slow night in restaurants, he served 135 meals at his 40 places. Too much.

When Escoffier asked him what would happen to his staff during the hiatus, he kind of winked and said, "Don't worry about them."

He said when the Arlington place reopens -- whevever -- much of the same menu will be available, and the prices may be, get this, lower.

He appeared cheerful, and he forgot to insult us. We received complimentary demitasse cups of crab bisque at the beginning and hot chocolate at the end.

And by the way, the food was as great as ever. I had the cajun ribeye. A blackened medium rare steak, tasty and tender. Grover, Claudia and my date (not a Rockwellian) went home with styrofoam boxes of leftover meat flushed out with extra potatoes and spinach.

When I pointed out all the great dinners we've been having lately, Escoffier said, "Well, we're foodies."

I'm confused...Did this happen to you when you visited Ray's?  As far as I know, what you describe has never occured at the restaurant.  Please share your experience.

In all the times I've gone to Ray's, I have never felt rushed, hurried or harried. Michael is a most gracious (albeit outspoken) host. While he may have strong opinions on a number of topics (as we all do), pushing your tush out the door before you've enjoyed every bite of food doesn't seem to be one.

I was also at Ray's last night and had a wonderful meal. My 6 yo daughter loved the bread, hot chocolate and the mash potatos. I had the scalops and the house steak and my ex mother in law had the hanger steak with a side salad. Wonderful Wonderful Wondeful. I took about half the steak home and this morning noticed that it was gone <_< My dear brother, who lives with me, may not be living in the house anymore!). He declared it the best leftover he has ever swiped in his life. Now that is high praise!

The service was wonderful! I hope the staff and Micheal enjoy a break and all my best wishes to them in their endeavers.