Ray's the Steaks and Retro Ray's (Next Door) - Michael Landrum's Steakhouses in Courthouse - Closed

Went to RTS last night around 6:30 and got a seat in about 1 minute, was great being able to walk in and not worry about the reservation thing. I am sure I will try to go more with the new policy. Steak was good, but not the best that I had at RTS before, but still worth the visit.

I could have sworn that I overheard ML talking about DR, specifically the Fran O’Brien’s issue with another customer....Seemed a little mad about the subject so I did not mention it to him.

I could have sworn that I overheard ML talking about DR, specifically the Fran O’Brien’s issue with another customer....Seemed a little Jerked so I did not mention it to him.

Could've been me and Mr. P. :) Sorry I didn't have a chance to meet you. We were seated against the wall toward the back.

To encourage the renewed neighborhood feel at Ray's, and to cut a spring break for those whose appetites exceed their bank balances, we are now offering the following special:

$20 Bistro Dinner

Choice of:

Cup of Crab Bisque or Onion Soup/or Mixed Greens or Caesar Salad

Choice of:

Hangar Steak or Salmon (Diablo/Blackened/or Grilled)

Mashed Potatoes/Creamed Spinach

This offer is open to anyone, anytime (until further notice, but at least the next weeks) but Rockwellians can expect the usual second class treatment.

For those concerned about waits, so far the new system is working this way:

We are doing as much business, if not more, as before, but in a much more easy-going atmosphere.  However, waits are minimal--usually 20-30 minutes, sometimes 45, rarely up to an hour and 15 minutes (our average dining time is and always was a comfortable 75-80 minutes despite all the whining).  Those who arrive before 6:15 should be seated right away.  No promises, but that is the way it has been working so far.

I am going to post this in "Twenty Dollar Tuesdays" as well so that people who don't even bother with the Ray's thread, assuming that any new post is either a shrill attack or even shriller counter-attack, will hear about the deal as well.

Look forward to seeing you all soon.

I was sold, the wife and I just got back from Ray's and this is a great deal! We ordered the salmon and the steak, and both were good. We have been to Ray's about four times in the past, and I have never tried the Crab Bisque until tonight and it was outstanding. I am from Charleston, and this puts She Crab Soup to shame. There was at least a 1/2 lb of crab in my cup :) We also ordered tha wine special, and it was pretty damn good stuff.

Thanks Mike for offfering such a great deal. We were also able to get a table right away at 7pm, so that was a plus.

Due to an extended and on-going bout of idiocy, I did not realize how much we actually charge for salmon on the menu (15.95); so we are re-pricing the fish option of the deal to $18. Thanks to everyone for coming out, especially the mysterious late night visitor (visitation??).

To encourage the renewed neighborhood feel at Ray's, and to cut a spring break for those whose appetites exceed their bank balances, we are now offering the following special:

$20 Bistro Dinner

Choice of:

Cup of Crab Bisque or Onion Soup/or Mixed Greens or Caesar Salad

Choice of:

Hangar Steak or Salmon (Diablo/Blackened/or Grilled)

Mashed Potatoes/Creamed Spinach

This offer is open to anyone, anytime (until further notice, but at least the next weeks) but Rockwellians can expect the usual second class treatment.

For those concerned about waits, so far the new system is working this way:

We are doing as much business, if not more, as before, but in a much more easy-going atmosphere.  However, waits are minimal--usually 20-30 minutes, sometimes 45, rarely up to an hour and 15 minutes (our average dining time is and always was a comfortable 75-80 minutes despite all the whining).  Those who arrive before 6:15 should be seated right away.  No promises, but that is the way it has been working so far.

I am going to post this in "Twenty Dollar Tuesdays" as well so that people who don't even bother with the Ray's thread, assuming that any new post is either a shrill attack or even shriller counter-attack, will hear about the deal as well.

Look forward to seeing you all soon.

Due to an extended and on-going bout of idiocy, I did not realize how much we actually charge for salmon on the menu (15.95);  so we are re-pricing the fish option of the deal to $18.  Thanks to everyone for coming out, especially the mysterious late night visitor (visitation??).

Sure, now you tell us! Another filling & indulgant meal last night at RTS. Thank you, Michael!!!

My wife and I were also lured out by the bistro dinner last night. Showed up early, and there was no wait for a table. It felt like the early days of Ray's! I'll be honest... the reservation system did keep us away except for "occasions"; with the new system, I think we'll be in quite a bit more often. I'm hoping it's good for business Mr. L, 'cause I sure love it.

While the raves about the food are well deserved (and echoed here), I just wanted to point out one more little thing they do right: we were served red wine last night at cellar temp, not warm. So few places actually get this right that it seems worthy of mention.

And: three courses each and a bottle of wine, and we still got out of there under $80. The bistro deal rocks!

While the raves about the food are well deserved (and echoed here), I just wanted to point out one more little thing they do right:  we were served red wine last night at cellar temp, not warm.  So few places actually get this right that it seems worthy of mention.

You are absolutely right that this deserves to be mentioned. There are to few places that serve wine correctly.

My wife and I were also lured out by the bistro dinner last night.  Showed up early, and there was no wait for a table.  It felt like the early days of Ray's!  I'll be honest... the reservation system did keep us away except for "occasions"; with the new system, I think we'll be in quite a bit more often.  I'm hoping it's good for business Mr. L, 'cause I sure love it.

While the raves about the food are well deserved (and echoed here), I just wanted to point out one more little thing they do right:  we were served red wine last night at cellar temp, not warm.  So few places actually get this right that it seems worthy of mention.

And: three courses each and a bottle of wine, and we still got out of there under $80.  The bistro deal rocks!

I agree with the wine comment. Right now this is the best deal in town hands down. I think not haveing a reservation system will cause me to make more trips. However, I did find it kind of strange when I first arrived and the guy at the host station ask me for what date and time would I need a table for two???

I agree with the wine comment. Right now this is the best deal in town hands down. I think not haveing a reservation system will cause me to make more trips. However, I did find it kind of strange when I first arrived and the  guy at the host station ask me for what date and time would I need a table for two???

Our meds don't always work right.

Which could explain why you haven't answered my question.

Sorry. We seat Tue-Thu pretty much always through 10, often until 10:30. Fri-Sat pretty much always through 10:30, often until 11. Plus, we never turn anyone away as long as the grill has not been hit with wet cleaners yet. Hope that is late enough for you.

We have so many friends who are happy about what Ray's is doing -- the whole package, too, not specifically the special menu, although the price is definitely a happy thing! -- that in the next few weeks, I think we'll be eating there between once and twice a week! Yowza. I think tonight I will dream of key lime pie :)

As I was Grover-less this evening, I set out at 6:00pm for Ray's...other than the horrible traffic it was a totally uneventful trip to Arlington. One circuit through the parking lot to determine there was no parking, out on the street and et voila! a parking space less than 2 blocks away. Walked to RTS, entered through the throngs waiting at the front and found Michael and asked for a table for one. "Give me 10 minutes"...sat in front in the glider watching the traffic for about 5 minutes and was seated. Michael looks totally relaxed and very laid back. I think the Hawaiian shirt and Bermudas and flip-flops had something to do with it. I ordered the $20 bistro hanger steak. Dinner started with the spicy cashews and the extremely good bread, followed by a very smooth glass of California Cabernet. Out came the first course, the crab bisque. What can you say about this bisque? It's wonderful, creamy and packed full of very good crab meat. This was followed by the house salad which is somewhat pedestrian (what else would you expect for a house salad) but was rescued from mediocrity by the dressing which was just a tiny bit spicy and very good. Then came the piece d'resistance, the hanger steak was a perfect medium rare. It was accompanied by the creamed spinach and mashed potatoes. Unfortunately, the veggie portion of dinner was somewhat ignored in favor of the steak. I tried, I really tried, to save some for Grover but my taste buds overwhelmed my resolve. So there were no left-overs in the steak department. Accompanying the bill was the demi-tasse of hot chocolate. A great ending to a great meal. If you haven't been to RTS since the DR dinner, you are missing an excellent meal and a tremendous bargain. I almost felt like I had stolen dinner it was so inexpensive. Thank you Michael.

Tried Ray's tonight for the first time. Food was great, service was awesome! I had the hangar steak and caeser salad, husband had the bisque and filet.

We're originally from Texas, and grew up eating good, cheap beef in no-nonsense diners. Ray's reminded us of home (albeit just a little more expensive,and maybe--just maybe--better quality meat). What's always frustrated us about DC was the seeming inability to have a nice steak dinner without breaking the bank, along with seeming out of place in steakhouses frequested by the old money set. I'm glad Ray's is around to keep it real. I love that I saw children eating large chunks of beef off their parents plates. I never felt rushed, but we still managed to enjoy our meal in under an hour.

While it was frustrating to have to wait almost an hour for a table even though we arrived at 5:50, and we were rewarded for our patience. Next time we'll try to come on a weeknight instead of a Saturday (probably a mistake, yeah, but we really needed some beef!).

We're originally from Texas, and grew up eating good, cheap beef in no-nonsense diners.

How long has it been since you've dined in Texas? Perhaps I just don't know where to go, but I've taken numerous trips to Houston, Dallas, and Austin over the past few years, and have found the top-quality steak places there to be just as expensive as the ones here.

Enjoied a meal at Ray's this past Wednesday. When we inquired about the Bistro special the waitress looked at us like we belonged next door - no matter. The "Blue Devil" may just be my favorite preperation of steak ever (diablo marinate + blue cheese sauce topping = unbeatable).

Enjoied a meal at Ray's this past Wednesday.  When we inquired about the Bistro special the waitress looked at us like we belonged next door - no matter.  The "Blue Devil" may just be my favorite preperation of steak ever (diablo marinate + blue cheese sauce topping = unbeatable).

Really? When I last dined there the servers were mentioning it to customers without being prompted.

ABC 7 News is doing a web poll on their site this weekend - "What is the Best Steakhouse in the DC Area?"

The choices are District Chophouse, Capital Grille, Nick's Chophouse, and of course, Ray's the Steaks.

Winner to be announced on "Good Morning Washington" on Monday.

Vote early, vote often! click

Last night I experienced Rays for the first time. As only a recent convert back to the world of the carnivore after 16 years, I really do not know how to judge meat that well. I am discovering it is not worth eating bad stuff, and the good stuff is really special.

Rays is special in so many ways. I had a crazy week that culminated in my allergies being so bad that I cancelled a trip. Finding that I had managed to not eat all day on top of being fairly light headed from the lack of oxygen, I decided to try this place called Rays at 6 in lieu of happy hour or eating with friends later.

First, I arrived at 6 and there were already a fair number of tables occupied. I never eat as early as 6 so I was impressed that others do. Upon being seated, a small bowl of spicy cashews were placed in front of me. Wow, better than any chips & dips or bread I have had at restaurants. I can't wait to recreate them with pecans.

My server was very sweet and attentive considering I was struggling to form sentences due to lack of oxygen and food. The Bistro Special was perfect for me as a novice meat eater. The caeser salad was better than I expected as I normally ask for dressing on the side since I use very little. This time I did not ask for the side, and it was perfect. The dressing is mustard based and non-garlicy. Oh, and the salad is huge.

My main course arrived as I finished the salad. Can we say yum? I ordered the hanger steak with some mushrooms, not realizing the potatoes and spinach are served with each dish.

I post not to talk about the food as much as how for the first time in DC I felt like I was in a New York neighborhood restaurant. I can't explain it but all the hub bub about the reservation system and "rudeness" seems inapprorpriate if you think about how many restaurants in New York there are like Rays (maybe not focused on steak). Some of my favorite finds in New York are small restaurants that serve good food.

And what other restaurant sends you home with your leftover meat and a nice serving of each of the sides?

Alert

The Bistro Hanger Special will be offered for today and tomorrow and then be borne ceaselessy into the past with wild howls of execretion. However, the normal menu price is still only 19.95, that's right, 19.95. (A cup of bisque is only 3.50, so it's not like anyone is going to go broke if they want both). But wait, there's more...

In case anyone is concerned that I have lost my insanity, I am here to assure you that I am even MORE insane after a night of heroic drinking and singing "On Top of Spaghetti" at Palena (sorry Frank). Beginning tonight we will be offering the following Bistro Special, for lovers only, until interruptus:

Chateaubriand for Two $50

Soup or Salad (excluding the Bufallo Mozzarella and Pomodori di Giardino Salad, or the Mozzarella di Bufala and Garden Tomato Insalata, which one is right Sthitch? I get so confused.)

Chateaubriand for Two with Fresh Brocolli, Saute`ed Champignons and Red Onions Grille` and Choice of Sauce

Mashed Potatoes and Creamed Spinach

For those who do not know, Chateaubriand is the prime "head" of the tenderloin, at Ray's grilled whole--a feat that only I, in my madness, have ever even attempted--with a special technique which gives it a unique flavor profile, imparting the special succulence of roasting with the boldness and intensity of high-temperature charring. The meat itself is richer, and more intensely and deeply flavored than regular filet with a tender but satisfying texture or "tooth" and is an insanely whopping 20 ounce portion.

So, last two days for the Hanger Special, first day for the Chateaubriand Special and for the next two days you can have either (or both).

New wine madness as well:

Evo by Guelbenzu (Ribera del Queiles) 2002, probably the most exciting wine I have ever tasted, one that defies description, that does for me things no wine has ever done before, unspeakable things--$42

Moulin du Duhart, the second from Duhart-Milon (Pauillac), nothing to do with the Lettres of The Dude-et, however, 2001--$51

Cote Rotie, Cuvee Terroirs, Rene Roustaing, 2002--(gasp)$91

And an insanely enjoyable Cote du Ventoux (Rhone) from the fruit bomb vintage of 2003, Jaboulet--$20 !!!

(The Condado de Haza is now an even lower $36).

On My Meat

You should feel a little guilty

With a fork, a knife in hand

Tucking into the Bistro Special

(a steal)

Not because of its value

(a steal)

But because slowly,

Surely,

It distracts you from the witty banter of your companions - except

They too have fallen wordless

From the succulence

Calling from their plate

Uniting brothers in crime

The Guelbenzu Evo (Cab, Merlot, Tempranillo) is brilliant with steak, even to this untrained palate, and if two or three of your party are contemplating glasses of red, you should consider springing for a bottle of this spicy elixir.

Recently prized from the family secrets of one of Landrum's foreign intrigues, the sherried mushroom cream sauce is a knockout. Sure, it's simple, but the mushroom flavor is so well-developed that I'd be tempted to have a cup as a soup, if I weren't certain that it carries one jillion calories per tablespoon.

On a personal note, the presence of other Rockwellians (Friendly and Charming™) turned a very nice dinner into a completely delightful evening. You guys Rock!

Tonight was the last iteration of the Bistro Special: crab bisque and ongelet for 20 smackeroos -- a bargain! I made my appearance at close to 5:30 and was immediately seated. The gentleman at the counter, not Michael, asked me if I was on "the list" -- apparently that's the euphemism for the now taboo reservations. I thought I'd be hanging around until the official opening time, 6. But there was an early bird private party in progress, and so the wheels were already turning. I was disappointed to learn that Simone, the beautiful Porguguese-speaking server (who always allowed me to trot out my rudimentary command of her language) had returned to Brazil. But those on hand, while lacking her linguistic skill, were equally charming and adept. I ordered the steak medium rare (is there another way?) and it arrived almost as soon as I'd finished the bisque. The aforementioned gentleman, plus Michael and the server, all stopped by to ask about my level of contentment. I told Michael that the excellence of the food was outshone only by the elegance of his attire. That remark may have bumped me up from third- to second-class service. After I had consumed about half the steak, I said to Michael that though the meat was rich and tasty on its own, I would like to try one of his dressings. He brought the brandy with mushrooms and the blue cheese. I would be hard pressed to say which was better, but they were completely different. Then it was time to choose a dessert -- key lime pie, chocolate mouse or strawberries and cream. This was too tough. I needed time to think. I decided on the mousse. But then I had to choose regular, white or dark. I didn't want to hold things up any more, and so I opted for the dark. It was a generous portion, accompanied by the demitasse of hot chocolate that Ray's veterans will reconize. Chocolate heaven! For some reason, Michael had comped the dessert, perhaps because of my tongue-in-cheek sartorial observation. Anyway, this feast came out to 22 bucks, plus tax and tip. Only a cardiologist could complain. On the way out, I bumped into MelGold, HillValley and a couple of other rockwellian inconnus. Thus endeth the era of the Bistro Special, a time that history will not soon forget.

My undisciplined fat ass & I are glad to see the Bistro Specials go by the wayside to be honest. The take home box alone weighs almost 5 pounds! Michael & his little neighborhood spot are too attractive at that price. :angry:

After ordering the beautiful Evo (which is wonderful with steak), we were quickly informed that it is not acceptable as a complement to the bisque. For those searching for a wine that holds its own against that rich, creamy goodness, ask Michael to pop open a bottle of the Cotes du Ventoux. Fruit forward, well-balanced and not all too dry. He didn't have to twist our arms for a second glass on the table!

I might never eat again, but it was worth it! Thanks Michael & ladies for an intriquingly Wicked Wednesday!

This rowdy girl is still slightly haunted by the final act, however. I might never look at Air Jordans the same way again! Where's Storch's camera phone when you need it?! :)

I have a brother. He was one boy to three girls growing up, but don't waste your pity, because he's the oldest and he could drive and drink and sneak girls in his window and nobody seemed to notice.

Anyway, one boy in the family somehow produces half a dozen more when the dessert's good, and so we all learned self-defense at the dinner table. Forks at the ready and grab a hefty portion when the good stuff passes because it won't emerge from the testosterone end of things. Not so much an issue with the girls, who passed on dessert and then snuck portions from the kitchen late at night, but the boys, well--the parents expected manners, but there's times even they threw up their hands.

So ladies--and you know who you are, you four kindly and comely lasses--can somebody please explain what the hell happened with the key lime pie tonight? Because all I saw was a glint of silver as the slice hit the table and then somehow half of it was gone. There was a pause, a small one, then another rush of silver and the plate was....empty?

The Guelbenzu Evo (Cab, Merlot, Tempranillo) is brilliant with steak, even to this untrained palate, and if two or three of your party are contemplating glasses of red, you should consider springing for a bottle of this spicy elixir.

We had this on Michael's recommendation last Saturday night. Drink this. Smile. Do I really need to report about what we thought of the hanger steaks?

I might never eat again, 

Cough, Cough, Bullshit, Cough, Cough. :)

Alert

Chateaubriand for Two with Fresh Brocolli, Saute`ed Champignons and Red Onions Grille` and Choice of Sauce

Wow. Why have I never had Chateaubriand before?! Un-friggin-believable, to the point of erasing all concerns from my mind (except the dimminishing portions on my plate). Usually I get a bit of a food high/buzz after eating at Ray's, but tonight's meal was so delecious that my glowing/ecstatic sensation of glutton glory was taken into a new league. I now know what I will ask for if I were to ever need to order a last meal.

If you imagined that getting a table at Ray's on a Tuesday would be a piece of cake, I'll have to puncture your delusions. Michael put us on the "List", so we were able to avoid the usual hour-long wait. I don't know how the place could be any busier. People were waiting for tables when we left at 9:30 or so. Michael, however, was the picture of serene joviality and dressed like he was dishing up fish tacos on a beach somewhere. Our waitress was also calm and very efficient. The place runs like a well-oiled machine.

We decided to do the Chateaubriand special ($50 for two !!!) as described by erickv above. Because Michael knew it was a special occasion, he also sent over a plate of the scallops and shrimp. We chose the crab bisque and each had a glass of Chardonnay. Then we ordered a bottle of the "Evo" to go with the steak. We could not BEGIN to eat all that food. Then, stuffed to the gills, Michael sent over a piece of Key Lime pie for us to share. We couldn't do that as much justice as it deserved. There's a large container in our refrigerator containing the remnants of the meal. Here I am some 14 hours later, and I can't imagine I'll ever be hungry again. :)

We didn't have anything that hasn't been described ad nauseum before, so I'll bring up something that doesn't seem to have been discussed here. Michael and his cooks have a very light hand with the salt, God Bless 'Em All. This is something I particularly appreciate. And, there are salt and pepper shakers on each table, in contrast to the popular trend to not make those available in some "fine dining" establishments, so you can add however much you want.

The bill: Just at $100 (without the tip). That, plus a perfect evening to walk to the subway says it all. I cannot wait for the new place in SS to open. :angry:

Thank you, Michael. You're a mensch!

If you imagined that getting a table at Ray's on a Tuesday would be a piece of cake, I'll have to puncture your delusions.  Michael put us on the "List", so we were able to avoid the usual hour-long wait.  I don't know how the place could be any busier.  People were waiting for tables when we left at 9:30 or so. 

If it's that bad on a Tuesday, is there any point in even attempting it on a Saturday? My in-laws are in town this weekend (my wife's birthday happens to fall on Mother's Day), and none of us wants to do Sunday brunch, so Saturday night is it. Since we wanted a great meal, but the in-laws are afraid of both high prices and most ethnic cuisine, Ray's is the perfect choice. But how much of a wait should we be expecting (we're flexible on arrival time)?

If it's that bad on a Tuesday, is there any point in even attempting it on a Saturday? My in-laws are in town this weekend (my wife's birthday happens to fall on Mother's Day), and none of us wants to do Sunday brunch, so Saturday night is it. Since we wanted a great meal, but the in-laws are afraid of both high prices and most ethnic cuisine, Ray's is the perfect choice. But how much of a wait should we be expecting (we're flexible on arrival time)?

I've arrived around 5:30 and never had to wait too long for a table. Now that's for 2 or 3. If your party is bigger, it may be different. Go early and wait a bit...it's more than worth it.

Since I've only ever been on weekdays (twice back during the Reservation Era and once during the Modern Walk-In Period), when do you think I should get to Ray's to ensure a table for four at six on a Saturday?

I'd be there by 5:30, if I were you. If the weather is nice, it isn't at all unpleasant to sit on those benches he has. Plus, you can drink margaritas at the joint right next door while you are waiting for your table. :)

I've arrived around 5:30 and never had to wait too long for a table.  Now that's for 2 or 3. If your party is bigger, it may be different.  Go early and wait a bit...it's more than worth it.

Four in the party, so it shouldn't be too different. Thanks, we'll give it a shot. It wouldn't be a concern if it was just the two of us - we've eaten there before and it's well worth the wait. It's the in-laws I'm worried about. But they'll manage. :)

Sighhhh...After a brief but glorious period where we could pretty much accommodate everyone with no more than a 15-40 minute wait and everyone was happy, we are back to screaming, hysterical threats at the door and waits of 45 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or more being normal even if you check in by 6:30 (6:00 on Saturday). If only other steakhouses would start serving better food and lower their ridiculous prices so people could have better and more options.

This might help, but I wanted to ask your all's opinion about this rough draft of a sign I am hanging by the door before I post it. Fair, rational, reasonably respectful (remember there are some too common expectations that Ray's is neither equipped, staffed nor prepared to meet)? Or too much of the arrogant asshole that many already know me to be? I really would appreciate input, even (especially) negative, even (especially) if you are not a fan of Ray's.

Dear Sir or Madam,

If we can not accommodate you immediately, or as an incomplete party, please do not be mean.

We are honest, caring people who work very, very hard to serve and assist you in whatever way possible.

My staff is my family;  and rudeness, hostility and bullying are not welcome in this house, as I hope they are not welcome in yours.

Also, we are a very small public space with an obligation to balance the needs of all.  We offer prompt service and reserve the right to limit lingering time after the completion of your meal if others are waiting.

If this does not suit your dining plans, or if it seems unfair and offensive, please consider other dining options before being seated.

Michael Landrum

Owner

So what do you all think?

My staff is my family;  and rudeness, hostility and bullying are not welcome in this house, as I hope they are not welcome in yours.

I would probably nix the bolded clause.

PS - Your grammar and punctuation are excellent. :)

I would probably nix the bolded clause.

PS - Your grammar and punctuation are excellent.  :)

I agree on both counts. Only problem is when I put on my patent-pending "See the World Through the Eyes of A Patronizing Asshole Customer" glasses, all I can see is a big blank space in your post. I'm currently working on a polarizing filter you can put over the sign so the people it's actually aimed at can see it.

You oughta ask Miss Manners about the difficulty in getting people to remember their manners. It's like pushing the ocean back with a broom. The problem, as I see it, is that the people to whom this sign would be directed: 1) wouldn't read it in the first place; or 2) think that it's meant for those "other" people.

How about something bigger and more direct, e.g:

BE NICE TO THE STAFF OR YOU WON'T GET ANY DINNER!