New Year's Eve 2008

ScotteeM

Usually WWMeade and I stay in for NYE and enjoy tapas and bubbly, on the early side (we're old). But today we got an offer from Dino that we couldn't refuse. So I made a reservation for 6:15 (as I said, we're old) and I'm looking forward to it!

They preserved some of the summer tomatoes and are featuring them in a panna cotta starter and a pasta course. Other offerings on the menu are extremely tempting. Here's the link to the menu.

So what is everyone else doing?

Plans have changed ... twice ... first to meet up with Flygirl in Leesburg or some such place, now, with a nice winter virus making its presence felt, it's home in bed with some chicken soup from Celebrity Deli. This, of course, reminds me that I'm all out of chicken stock, and so, I now have plans for Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

My pants are getting too tight (and not in a good way), so tonight I will be starting my diet. :P

Unless of course the flagpole outside my office which is being severely buffeted by the wind comes crashing through the window onto my head, in which case you will find me at the morgue.

At home, with cheese, duck pate, shrimp, and other goodies with a sparkling shiraz of some sort that I bought at Finewine this morning.

Hopefully not awake at midnight.... :P

I was surprised how many places still have reservations available tonight around 9. (Not that I can go anywhere or find a baby-sitter this late in the game. I was just curious and a little bit sad for life pre-suburbs...)

Jennifer

Dropped my daughter somewhere in the wilds of PG County and the house of some kid name "Savo" and swung by Ruan Thai on the way back to the city. Dragged the new baby TV that we don't know how to work yet into the bedroom, shoved a Season 1 "the Wire" episode in and got my Thai on while drinking an Argentine Cabernet in my boxers (sorry about that image). I was asleep by 11:30. Best damn New Year's Eve since I made out with the folksinger/bartender while her powerlifter date was on drugs in another room. Never has not being beaten to a pulp felt so good.

Or was it the best since P-Funk and the funk of truffles at 4AM?

My husband decided at 1 pm on Tuesday that we should invite friends and kids to our house to ring in the new year. We ended up with ten adults and ten kids under the age of five! We just did a bunch of hors d'oeurves including a huge beef tenderloin that my husband grilled and made mini sandwiches with. It was a lot of fun but the house was not surprisingly wrecked.