Birthday dinner for BF

Choirgirl21

I started off with the idea of taking DBF to Founding Farmers for his birthday next week. Recent reviews seem to be positive and I know he would appreciate the green construction and local food sources. Decided I shouldn't limit myself though and started thinking about other places. Cityzen or Restaurant Eve would be top choices, but they're just too expensive for me right now. I am willing to do anything else expensive, just not that "upper tier tasting menu" sort of expensive. Palena has always been on my list of places to go, and I hear good things about Tabard overall, and it being a romantic spot. 3 very different places, I know. In the end, I may just give BF the choice, but wanted to get your thoughts on these places, and other suggestions if you have them.

Thanks!

How about Blue Duck Tavern in the Park Hyatt? Or, I recently had a great experience at 1789 even though I swore long ago that I wouldn't go back. Yes, it's kitschy in decor, but the food was great. They offered an EXTREMELY reasonably priced chef's tasting menu on a SUnday night. I also had a great bday celebration in Fahrenheit (at the Ritz Carlton in Georgetown) but that was a while ago so I don't know if it is still up to standards. Atmosphere was great though.

Good luck!

I thought about Blue Duck briefly, but a friend who went had mixed reviews. Some of the dishes were very good, but others were just so-so. I'll read up on it though, and the other suggestions. I keep meaning to go to 1789 around restaurant week as they always offer a similar deal for a couple of weeks. Maybe they will have already started it...

What about Corduroy? Lovely room, delicious food, warm service and very well-priced wine list.

I thought about Corduroy too. I have only eaten there once, at the old location, but the scallop dish remains to this day the best I think I've ever had. I really enjoyed our meal there, although my companion was slightly less enchanted. I decided against it for this meal simply because of the environment. From what I've read, the new location isn't any better in terms of it being a bit quiet and well, sort of boring.

I'm officially adding Blue Duck to my list of contenders. It actually just moved to being a top contender. I remember now why my friend gave it mixed reviews. Not every dish was outstanding, but the main issue was the price. Since you have to order sides separately, it added up quickly. It seems from reviews (and the servers sometimes even suggest this) that you're better off sharing apps and/or meat dishes, but with only two of us, I have the feeling we won't be able to restrain ourselves as we'll want to try as much as possible. That, combined with the insane wine prices and it will be pretty darn expensive. I think it's time for me to just recognize I'm going to drop my life savings on this meal, wherever we go. :P

Well thanks to those of you who gave input. I've made a final decision...we're going to Restaurant Eve's tasting room!!! I got smart and realized that it was really dumb to take BF out for his birthday on Wednesday and then have him take me out (with friends) on Saturday, so we're pooling our money and going to Restaurant Eve instead. Since he's turning 40 we're going on his birthday. I am so excited!!! Anyway, sorry if I appear to have wasted your time, but in the end, you guys got me thinking and all of that led me to this brilliant revelation. :P