A belated thanks to the Chef and to Derek for taking such good care of me Tuesday :P Don't forget for those who work downtown, Firefly is a great spot for lunch, too. I started with an heirloom tomato salad, while co-worker had the field greens with roasted pear-sherry vinaigrette, parsley and walnuts. Next was the Tuna tataki for my co-worker, and the PEI mussels with whole grain mustard and cream for me. I'm still tasting those mussels-I've never had them in a cream sauce before, and I've sworn off eating for the rest of the week since I had to sop up as much sauce as I could with the bread...

I could have rolled out of there after that, but my coworker insisted on dessert. She had the mango sorbet, and I the espresso pound cake. (She twisted my arm, and maybe it was the wine, although, I barely remember what I ordered--I think it was the Cava) Needless to say there wasn't much conversation during the meal, as we both oohed and mmmmhhhd and swore we had to get out to lunch more often.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm kind of thinking about doing Minibar for my birthday in mid October...anybody want to come?  Not sure how far in advance they need reservations, so I figured I'd throw it out there now.

I think you can only reserve 30 days out. I tried recently and was told I'd have to call back on a specific date a month beforehand. I set a reminder in Outlook to call on that date in the a.m. and WHAM, already booked. :P

Good luck!

And in the category of "The Dish Most Like Dirty, Shameful, Possibly Illegal Sex" the winner is...The Braised Lamb Shoulder with Heirloom Tomatoes and Tomato Bread Pudding by John Wabeck at Firefly.

The mind behind this dish is neither sane nor well.

If you plan on ordering it, and I recommend that you do, make sure to bring protection.

I needed a shower and a cigarette after finishing mine tonight.

i had that lamb last night. i hadn't read this thread beforehand, but it looks like i ordered the right thing--the chunk of pulled lamb, the big ol slab of... well, of the fat cap basically. lordy be. lord have mercy.

the oddly cold tomato bread pudding was a little weird, i have to admit--considering the rest of the meal's quality i have to assume that it was purposeful, but it was like, uh, wha? it just seemed like it should be warm. but it tasted damn good.

man oh man that was good stuff.

edited to say: oh yeah, i forgot about my appetizer of the polentina soup with bbq duck breast. i was expecting something like a runny polenta with slices of duck breast, seared with a bbq sauce of some sort. boy was i wrong. it was a thinish but ridiculously rich and meaty broth (i assume duck-based, but it could be anything) with the polentina floating throughout, and also spread throughout were the bits of duck, which was... if i say almost jerky-like, y'all won't take that as a bad thing, right? just awesome. and like nothing i've had before.

Edited by mrbigjas

Enjoyed another great meal at Firefly on Friday night. I started with the Chilled Tomato Soup with Marinated Mozzarella, which was a refreshing dish on a hot, summer day. The Braised Lamb Shoulder with Tomato Bread Pudding is as good as everybody has been saying. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Tomato Bread Pudding, which had a terrific texture. My wife had the Pork Scallopine, which she thought was terrific (she wouldn't let me try any of it, not that I let her try the Lamb Shoulder :P ). My Aunt, who was in town from Atlanta for a conference, fell in love with the restaurant and could not stop raving about the Grilled King Salmon. The only miss for the night would be the Espresso Poundcake, which was light on the espresso. It had a nice texture, but was lacking in flavor for our taste. Otherwise, the dinner was excellent, and my Aunt is looking for any excuse she can to get back to Firefly before her conference is over.

So glad to hear the new summer menu is getting raves. Taking Mr. BLB's parents on Friday night. I was very tempted to stop in over the weekend to do a dry run since we haven't tried anything on the menu to recomend... :P

Oh well...Winging is good. And I feel fully confident in passing along your raves and reviews. As for me, I'm having the lamb...

Jennifer

Dinner with the in-laws at Firefly on Friday night.

The good: the food was amazing. Totally blew them away. I think MIL didn't believe me when I said "the online food communities are raving about the lamb." Too bad. Her loss.

We had two salads and two of the chilled tomato soup--nice and refreshing.

2 salmons, 1 lamb and one chicken--all were fully enjoyed although I did not share more than a taste of my lamb. :P

The bittersweet panna cotta was a huge hit.

The wait staff was great, Derek was wonderful.

The so-so: We had a 6:15 reserveration and arrived right on time. Our table was not ready and we were told it wouldn't be for a little while. Would we like to wait at the bar? I smiled and said no and had the in-laws grousing behind me. (The lounge was too loud, too happening...too everything....)

We were the first party in the back room that evening. How on earth can the table not be ready forty-five minutes after they opened for dinner?

In 2 + years of dining there regularly, I've never had a table not be ready. Ever.

Sigh.

It was a small glitch and I think the food more than overcame that. I suppose the proof will be in the version of the story I hear from my SIL in a few weeks. :wub:

Now I have to get back there to have more of that lamb. Wow!

Jennifer

Alright, people.  Fess up.  If it was loud, happening and everything it had to be some of us.  Who's gonna give BLB an apology?  I'd do it myself but I was being loud and happening at Corduroy.  :P

You were happening? I missed that. :wub:

I must have that lamb again soon. Perhaps Friday...

Didn't realize the actual bar there is tiny -- looked like only four or six seats and they were all taken when I dropped in last night. Is there another area I missed? Do people sit by themselves at tables in the bar area as well?

Very pretty place, but judging food and drink will have to wait for another day.

Didn't realize the actual bar there is tiny -- looked like only four or six seats and they were all taken when I dropped in last night. Is there another area I missed? Do people sit by themselves at tables in the bar area as well?

Very pretty place, but judging food and drink will have to wait for another day.

The bar was packed last night with Rockweilers, that's why you couldn't find a seat. CrescentFresh and spouse, Jared Slipp and spouse. New cheeses from Artisanal. I'll let the cheese guru CrescentFresh give the blow by blow on the cheese. Definitely an upgrade from the prior cheese regime.

Do people sit by themselves at tables in the bar area as well?

I did that once on a busy friday night (when I was a little drunk and very hungry). The staff was very acoomadating, but I still felt like a bit of a tool sitting by myself midst the partying groups. But that's just me.

Edited by bilrus

I did that once on a busy friday night (when I was a little drunk and very hungry).  The staff was very acoomadating, but I still felt like a bit of a tool sitting by myself midst the partying groups.  But that's just me.

Keep in mind that there are a couple of extra barstools tucked under the lower bar section to the right of the main bar. If the main bar is full, just pull out one of the extras and have a seat. Sort of like a "kids table."

The bar was packed last night with Rockweilers, that's why you couldn't find a seat.  CrescentFresh and spouse, Jared Slipp and spouse.  New cheeses from Artisanal.  I'll let the cheese guru CrescentFresh give the blow by blow on the cheese.  Definitely an upgrade from the prior cheese regime.

...so much for the toast "to Rocks" as an identifier! :P

How to Avoid a Thunderstorm:

1) interrupt usual commute home at halfway point (Dupont Circle), dash into Firefly, procure seat at bar

2) consume (2) glasses ice water, (1) glass Sauv Blanc, (1) shot Balvenie, (1) cup coffee, along with some heirloom tomatoes, PEI mussels, and [*new summer dessert alert*] chocolate napoleon

3) make small talk with tourists from Iowa next to you at bar

4) hassle Derek about when one might be able to order up a "Don Rocks" cocktail

5) notice it has stopped raining, close tab, exit Firefly, board Metro

Can I do this every time it rains?? :P

...so much for the toast "to Rocks" as an identifier!  :P

After reading "jim chen"'s post, I have to sympathize. The bar itself at Firefly is probably too small for our gatherings. The last time Craig and I went for HH, we stood around waiting for the non-Rockwellian to vacate the premises. It really is nice to sit at the bar and talk to John about lots of stuff, but it isn't conducive (sp?) for new folk who don't know any of us and don't know the drill. However, there is a rather expansive section of couches, etc., which would do nicely. We went to an event there a couple of months ago and lots of us were crammed into one section of the "lounge." It was lots of fun and made conversation far easier. I got the impression that the people tending to the "bar" patrons knew what they were doing.

I suppose what I am suggesting is this: If we want to be welcoming to new folk, we are going to have to consider how best to go about this. There are undoubtedly people here who wonder why they should have this added burden. On the other hand, I can't imagine that any of the people I have met through this site are really interested in making new people have to jump through some pretty stiff hoops to join our merry band. There is, after all, the "shyness" factor. Being married to one of the really "shy" people of this world, I am maybe more attuned to the problem.

How can I say this without sounding preachy? Here goes: this website is a direct result of eGullet pulling the plug on the "On the Whim" thread. Was it just to make it easier for those of us who already knew each other to get together? Or, was it to make it easier to new people to the area who are interested in good food and drink to find compatible companions?

I'm just sayin'

If it were an event it would have been different, certainly; this was just me going to Firefly and being really surprised that the bar was so small. And the semi-coincidence of the people at the bar being DR folks. Didn't mean to cause a stir.

I am still very much looking forward to sampling Firefly's new cheese. Are we going to get that full report from CrescentFresh?

If it were an event it would have been different, certainly; this was just me going to Firefly and being really surprised that the bar was so small. And the semi-coincidence of the people at the bar being DR folks. Didn't mean to cause a stir.

I am still very much looking forward to sampling Firefly's new cheese. Are we going to get that full report from CrescentFresh?

Yes, I promise. I just don't have the time to write it with justice yet. I only have time for silly or snarky posts requiring emoticons or poking fun at people. :P

In all honesty, I have a big backload of longer length posts that I need to get up: Firefly cheese, corduroy, dino, tallula, dead yeast society, etc.

We had a wonderful meal at Firefly last night with my in-laws. We started out going to Pizza Paradiso at Dupont Circle, which was really crowded and had a 45 minute wait. It was already 8 PM, and they were tired after being on the train all day (not to mention getting in two hours late) and didn't want to wait that long. So, I called Firefly to see if they had a table. They did, and we walked over.

There was not a bit of food left on anyone's plate at the end of the meal :wub: . Everything was fabulous. My MIL and FIL both got the roasted chicken. I cannot remember what else came with it, but the corn gratin was magnificent. I think it might even be better than the macaroni and cheese used to be (if I dare say that :P ). My MIL and I ate a fair portion of the two side dishes of that. My husband got the fettucine with swiss chard and enjoyed it. He also got the smoked salmon pupusa to start, which was good but constructed differently than I would have thought. It had a nice balance of colors and flavors, but I accidently took most of the salmon when I took a bite. I wasn't really hungry and just had a starter (the seared tuna with grapes and, I think, watercress) and the truffled Parmesan frites, which I had to fight for. I, however, was the only one who got dessert: a watermelon sorbet that hit just the right note. The flavor was just a little understated. It came garnished with chervil (I had to ask the waitress what it was, after my MIL and I tried unsuccessfully to identify it.) The bits of chervil were a good complement to the flavor of the sorbet.

The only complaint my in-laws had was that it was too loud. We try to pick restaurants to go to with them that aren't very loud because that's an issue for them, but I'm glad we decided to go to Firefly despite that. It quieted down over time. Tonight: Corduroy.

file under blatant self-promotion

This just in;

Happy Hour today will consist of the Kir de Luxe (Kir Royale DMB's way) and the Bellini (also done DMB's way). Not only can you have fancy drinks in a place with a tree in the middle of it, you can all get a burn from Derek's damn hotness.

Was getting treated to a fancy lunch by a coworker, but we didn't plan ahead, so we were scrambling at 11:30 to find a place that could take 3 for lunch. And of course it's Restaurant Week, so all the nice places nearby were crowded, including Vidalia, and we were going to settle for Georgia Brown's but it, too, was booked.

So I got on OpenTable, got the list of who had space for three after noon, and lo and behold the person treating looked at the list and said, "Firefly, in Dupont Circle, that sounds close. What's that like?"

I immediately clicked my way to a 12:15 reservation.

The oysters are delicious. The burger is both huge and flavorful. The frites arrive hot, and stay nicely crispy in their paper cone. The open-faced pork sandwich with feta looked gorgeous as well. Service was excellent and attentive, and they bring simple syrup to the table with the iced tea, which is always very much appreciated, even though this tea was so good I didn't need any sweetening.

I wish I'd had room for a roasted peach dessert or the much-vaunted cheese plate, but as it was, now I just have a reason to go back.

If it had been a real business lunch the noise would have been too much, but for fun, it didn't bother me at all.

The open-faced pork sandwich with feta looked gorgeous as well.

I actually had the open-faced pork sandwich for lunch today (we probably missed each other - I didn't get there until 1:30 and sat at the bar). It's as delicious as it looks. The slices of pork are moist and flavorful, nicely offset by the tang of the cheese and pickled red onions and the hint of pepperiness from the watercress. Too bad I didn't have time for dessert.

May I have your attention please? Firefly's new cheese plate kicks major league ass.

I've had it twice now.

They're sourced from the Artisanal Cheese Center in New York which is one of the premier affinage joints this side of the Atlantic. This basically means that they're more than just a cheese shop. They acquire cheese, age it properly in fake "caves" and other walk-ins that are just the right temperature and humidity. When the cheeses are right, out the door they go. Their fromager, Max McCalman, literally wrote the (alright, one of THE) book on cheese called The Cheese Plate, which, in my opinion, is one of the top five "books you should have about cheese." (Aside: McCalman has a new book coming out soon that may be even better!) If you're a cheese fan, it's worth paying a visit to the Artisanal bistro at 2 Park Avenue in Manhattan (the entrance is on 32nd Street). Their cheese menu is the largest thing you've ever seen and you simply check off what you want on your plate like you're ordering sushi a la carte!

Chef says his cheese orders from Artisanal arrive next day. They taste fantastic. Like any good cheese service, Firefly serves its cheese at room temperature. Not a drop warmer. (Another aside: Why the hell do so many restaurants serve their cheese cold and their red wine at room temperature?) Five cheeses were on the plate, accompanied simply by delicious thick slices of warm grilled baguette. There is no cart to pick the cheeses from. There is no menu to make selections from. Don't sweat it. That work has been done for you and done well.

Cato Corner Hooligan: Hooligan is a washed-rind, raw cow's milk cheese from Connecticut. Strong flavors here. The texture may be similar to a morbier or Chimay, but the Hooligan is much better. I usually avoid eating the rind of washed rind cheeses, but it's not a problem with the Hooligan. Nor any of the other cheeses on this plate for that matter.

Cypress Grove Farms Purple Haze: Purple Haze just took first place in the Flavored Goat Milk Cheese category at the American Cheese Society awards in Louisville last month. So, this is the best American cheese of its type in the country. Flavored with dill pollen and lavender, this soft, white chevre is tangy, milky and herbal. It doesn't crumble and spreads easily.

Cabot Clothbound Cheddar: This Vermont cheddar is made by the giant Cabot cheese cooperative, but is then handed off to the smaller and well-respected Jasper Hill Farm for aging. Sharp, slightly crumbly and with a caramel essence you get from aged cheddars, goudas, gruyeres, etc.

Old Chatham Sheepherding Company Hudson Valley Camembert: These guys make great cheeses. I used to live near the farm and visited from time to time, leaving with far too much cheese :P . I don't quite recall, and I could be mistaken about this, but I think they're either the largest or oldest sheep cheese dairy in the U.S. The Hudson Valley Camembert simply melts right on your tongue. The smell is very mild, with an amazingly velvety paste. Very buttery with a great fresh taste.

Rogue River Blue: Rogue River Blue won Best Blue Cheese at the World Cheese Awards in London a couple years ago. This is the home of Stilton, folks. Rogue River Blue is strong, as you'd expect, but not particularly salty, as is often the case with blue cheeses. There's even a mild sweetness to it. A superb cheese.

Well, they're all superb. They are not run-of-the-mill cheeses. There are a number of exceptions to this in DC, but for the most part cheese plates are "this is roquefort, this is taleggio, this is cheddar, etc." which is fine, but more often than not you're served factory cheeses. Firefly, like other restaurants (such as Komi and Palena as I last recall) is serving true artisanal cheeses.

What can I say that would improve it? Give me a little more than the baguette. Some membrillo, roasted tomatoes, dried fruit, etc. Those would help round out flavor varieties. I'd also suggest having servers ask how many people you want the cheese plate to serve, and cut the pieces to appropriate size. I was with two other guests in the lounge the other day and we said "We would like the cheese" or some such thing. Well, the plate we received was really too small for the three of us. Perhaps servers can ask how many it is for and it can be priced accordingly.

Anyway, enjoy the cheese. Let me know what you think about it, too.

Edited by CrescentFresh

I forgot to give mad props to the cheese plate here after finally sampling its luscious goodness in the company of some other DR.com folk last Friday. After nipping a bit off brr's plate I absolutely had to get my own. The Purple Haze in particular is really lovely.

One of the things I really liked about the cheese selection was the balance -- the five cheeses all taste so different that it doesn't feel redundant. There's creamy and buttery, tart and tangy, smooth but sharp, a nice variety of flavors.

I'll be back.

Jael

Stopped by the bar @ Firefly last night before our cheese tasting event at Cheesetique. There is always a white and red wine of the day that is served by the glass. I started with the whie special which was a verdejo blend. I then had a glass of what was described to me as a still Cava. This was awesome and perfect for a summer afternoon. I am guessing it must have been some combination of Macabeo, Xarel-Lo, Parellada and Chardonnay as these are the main white grapes of Cava.

We also split an order of the crimini mushroom bruschetta w/ roasted garlic @ goat cheese and the Heirloom tomato salad with cucumber, feta & radishes.

Rumor has it that tonight there is special Gin and Tonics being poured at the bar.

I then had a glass of what was described to me as a still Cava. This was awesome and perfect for a summer afternoon. I am guessing it must have been some combination of Macabeo, Xarel-Lo, Parellada and Chardonnay as these are the main white grapes of Cava.

Rumor has it that tonight there is special Gin and Tonics being poured at the bar.

if its the same 'still Cava' as last Friday, yes its excellent

if its the same G&T as last Friday its "Old Raj" - 55% alcohol - potent stuff!

Firefly was my first choice for my birthday celebration this past weekend, after reading so much about it on this and other boards. It was our first visit and it did not disappoint. We started with the salmon pupusa and seared tuna appetizers. My 14 year old ignored the grape chutney, but she wouldn't share the tuna. Entrees included steak frite, roast chicken, and lamb shoulder. While the meats were excellent (my 10 year old carnivore ate her leftover steak for breakfast the next morning, opting to not share it with the mutts), we are ready to go back just for the side dishes. The tomato bread pudding, sweet corn gratin and mashed potatoes were about the best sides we have had. My kids loved that the mashed potatoes had just about as much butter as in their grandmother's version, and one even finished her spinach. We skipped dessert but will be back to try the chocolate napoleon. Kudos as well to the wait staff, which was attentive and pleasant throughout the meal.

Chocolate napolean???

What happened to the bittersweet chocolate panna cotta???

Damn...

We need warnings so we can come and say good-bye to favorite dishes! I still treasure my last evening at the bar with the spring rolls.

Mr. BLB is going to be mighty unhappy when I pass the news on...

Jennifer

Chocolate napolean???

What happened to the bittersweet chocolate panna cotta???

Damn...

We need warnings so we can come and say good-bye to favorite dishes! I still treasure my last evening at the bar with the spring rolls.

Mr. BLB is going to be mighty unhappy when I pass the news on...

Jennifer

We found out the sad sad way...
After working all day Sunday, we decided to treat ourselves to some panna cotta...
Dinner was good as usual...and then the SHOCK...no more panna cotta. We were so devastated that we decided to not eat dessert and mourn over the bad news.

Is the napoleon a comparable replacement?

Public service announcement

I counted, we have four (actually three and a bonus wine) of the Spanish whites Michael Franz mentioned in today's wonderful article, they will be available for HH tomorrow. If anyone is interested.

Santiago Ruiz (Rias Baixas)

J. Parientes Verdejo

Marques de la Villa Malvasia

Some Verdejo/Viura blend not listed

Not sheepishly - edited because Rocks made me,

John W.

Edited by Johnny Rooks

We found out the sad sad way...

After working all day Sunday, we decided to treat ourselves to some panna cotta...

Dinner was good as usual...and then the SHOCK...no more panna cotta.  We were so devastated that we decided to not eat dessert and mourn over the bad news.

Is the napoleon a comparable replacement?

Right now I prefer the roasted peaches with caramel sauce and thyme. It's a really simple dessert when you think about it, but the peaches are nicely sweet and tender. The caramel sauce is so good I want to lick up every drop. And the savory note of the fresh thyme leaves makes you stand up and take notice. It's a wonderful summer combination.

After weeks of wranging, I finally pried John Wabeck's highly guarded recipe for gazpacho away from him. I reprint it here with his permission:

Puree a bunch of shit in a blender. Strain.

Tomatoes, cukes, green peppers, (small amount) raw garlic, red onions, mayo, water soaked bread, sherry vinegar, XV olive oil. Garnish with brunoise of same.

Had my first meal at Firefly on Friday night. Awesome food. The Lamb shoulder with the black eyed pea casseolet was out of this world. I will also give two thumbs up for the roasted peaches which I'll have to try to recreate at home due to the abundance of thyme that I have in the garden. I'm going to try a variant on it though and wrap the peaches in the thyme spriggs and then grill them. There is a bit of a gem on the wine list which i just had to have and that's the 02 Kosta Brown Sonoma Coast PN in a split. Spendy for a split but worth every penny. Interesting list as well, very thoughtful and working very well with the food.

I'll be back...

displaying an assured hand and some inventive recipes, the food at a recent late-summer dinner here was outstanding, starting with a sublimely peppery soup of julienned barbecued duck, chives and a silt of polenta. the soup provides a constantly changing play of flavors, including flashes of sweetness from the sauce. you are left with small golden nuggets of polenta at the bottom of your bowl.

fried oysters and steak were perfect. equally delicious was pork scalloppine stacked with scalloped potatoes and wilted greens.

a number of years ago i remember trying to conquer a recipe for a pine nut nougat from marcella hazan, and exploring various degrees of bitterness before concluding that you might have to acquire a taste for this confection. a serving of scorched peaches here presented a similar dilemma, setting the stage for a contest between sweet ice cream and syrup and late-stage caramel. it's hard to tell the extent to which the pursuit of bitterness was deliberate, though the execution of this dessert might have gone slightly out of control. in any event, i left no evidence that the experiment might not have been entirely successful, including the fruit itself, which was definitely harder than it should have been.

a refreshing melon soup provided the best rendition of watermelon -- in small balls of sorbet -- that we have encountered at any washington restaurant this summer.

as with the menu, the wine list is packed with possibilities, many by the glass, and displays an affection for roses.

echoing the inventiveness of the kitchen, the dining room evokes excitement with white birch halves attached to the wall and the wide girth of a tree trunk reaching up into the dining room. this looks like the kind of tree that could start throwing things at you, if it had the mind to, or something sprung from the mind of marcel dzama.

this can be a noisy restaurant, although a room at the back can provide some respite.

Edited by giant shrimp

Craig and I went to Firefly last month. He got the fried oysters (which he compares to Crack--not that he knows what that is) as an appetizer and I had the smoked salmon papusa. I've never had anything like this, but I found it quite interesting and thought it hit the spot. All those seemingly odd ingredients worked together very well.

Craig got the pork chops (scallopini?) and I got the braised lamb with tomato bread pudding. What I appreciate so much about Wabeck's cooking is the care he takes with the accompaniements. For instance, earlier this year I ordered the roast pork with polenta. While I had a quibble with the pork, thinking a braise would have been better, the polenta was sensational. That lamb was just as lovely as everyone has said, but the tomato bread pudding and additional cherry tomatoes were perfection. I could only eat about half of it and took the rest home. It was easily reheated in the oven and was my lunch the next day. This is food to put a smile on your face and comfort your soul.

For dessert, we shared a chocolate Napoleon. For those who miss the chocolate panna cotta, this should make you forget about that. Thin, crisp puff pastry layers stuffed with the most wonderful chocolate mousse (ganache?) sitting on a pool of creme anglais, dotted with more chocolate. This makes all other napoleons pale in comparison.

If I haven't mentioned any problems with the service, it's because there weren't any. The whole place runs like a well-oiled machine.

Then there's the atmosphere. The night we were there, the weather had cooled and there was little humidity, so the front windows were open. I dunno, there's just something so completely "civilized" about this place. Plus, it's within walking distance of us--something for which I am extremely grateful--we have to walk uphill to get home, which makes us feel virtuous for having to walk some of those calories off. :lol: