Went for an improptu dinner last night. (Very happy day at work and my husband managed to leave the office on time--perfect reason to head for Firefly, right?)

Started with the oysters and the NO benefit cocktail which had quite the kick to it. Yum.

Split the steak frites and the lamb with Mr. BLB. The lamb is really perfection on a plate. I can't believe how good it is and want to see if I can recreate it at home.

The steak worked less well for me. I can't decide if it simply suffered in comparison to the lamb or if I am still grieving the departure of the Michael's Ribeye Diablo, which I simply loved beyond words. Either way, the lamb was the hit of the evening for me.

We shared the chocolate napolean--the chocolate was quite good but I realized I don't like puff pastry! Mr. BLB quite liked it and was happy to eat more than his share when I gave up trying to dig the chocolate out from around the pastry... But that's just my quirk...the flavors were very nice.

As always terrific service from the crew. I remembered to peek at the check to get our waiter's name--Virgil--who as on previous visits took splendid care of us.

Jennifer

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

stopped by Firefly for a glass of wine and a plate of fried oysters after work yesterday. Chef Wabeckk was kind enough to leak a copy of a DRAFT of his new fall menu, part of which could be implemented as early as the later part of next week. I don't kknow about you, but that spaghetti with venison meatballs sounds pretty good, as does the lamb tartare.

FF_lunch_fall_05.pdfFF_dinner_fall_05.pdfFF_Dessert_fall_05.pdf

stopped by Firefly for a glass of wine and a plate of fried oysters after work yesterday.  Chef Wabeckk was kind enough to leak a copy of a DRAFT of his new fall menu, part of which could be implemented as early as the later part of next week.  I don't kknow about you, but that spaghetti with venison meatballs sounds pretty good, as does the lamb tartare.

FF_lunch_fall_05.pdfFF_dinner_fall_05.pdf[attachment=276:attachment

I

JG being partial to a dish with game. That is a shock! :lol:

Menu changes look pretty good.

I just want to put it out there, if any one thinks we should keep our dessert list hand written on a crumpled yellow piece of paper, please speak now before we transfer it to exspensive Firefly letterhead.

Actually, Derek, I'm wondering what the 156,572 is. Customers to date? Oysters consumed? Chef's lucky Powerball numbers?

CF is creme fraiche.

I just want to put it out there, if any one thinks we should keep our dessert list hand written on a crumpled yellow piece of paper, please speak now before we transfer it to exspensive Firefly letterhead.

Derek, we would order desserts even if they were scribbled on the back of the staff's hands...!

BTW, I loved the new menu holders last visit. Nicely done!

Jennifer

CF is creme fraiche.

BRILLIANT!

A true breakthrough in menu design.

It speaks to the transitory nature of life and evinces a soupcon of whimsy. The trope of scratching out earlier efforts speaks to the search for perfection in art. I definitely feel the channeling of the spirit of Marcel Duchamp here.

BRAVO!

CF is creme fraiche.

Sounds good. If you all need taste testers I am sure some good DR.com folk would be happy to help out. :lol:

Man, Firefly just knocked my socks off last night.

I stopped by for a bite with my fiancee and YUM!

For my starter I had the fried oysters. As good as I remembered.

For the main I had the braised lamb shoulder with tomato bread pudding and cherry tomato relish.

The lamb was succulent and not gamey at all. Our server warned me that it was a fatty cut, but when paired with the relish of vinegared cherry tomatoes, what a perfect taste.

I also tried a side of sweet corn gratin--this is the dish I wish they had at all the church potluck suppers of my youth but just didn't know it. Good stuff.

Pear crisp with a chiffonade of fresh mint and topped with caramel ice cream, wow.

Thanks to mdt for persuading me to try out the new dinner menu.

BFA,

Craig

Edited by tripewriter

Man, Firefly just knocked my socks off last night.

I stopped by for a bite with my fiancee and YUM!

For my starter I had the fried oysters. As good as I remembered.

For the main I had the braised lamb shoulder with tomato bread pudding and cherry tomato relish.

The lamb was succulent and not gamey at all. Our server warned me that it was a fatty cut, but when paired with the relish of vinegared cherry tomatoes, what a perfect taste.

I also tried a side of sweet corn gratin--this is the dish I wish they had at all the church potluck suppers of my youth but just didn't know it. Good stuff.

Pear crisp with a chiffonade of fresh mint and topped with caramel ice cream, wow.

Thanks to mdt for persuading me to try out the new dinner menu.

BFA,

Craig

Funny you should post this just now, because I was just going to ask if the new menu is up and running. (I'm eating there tonight). But the braised lamb is from the summer menu, not the fall menu. Anyone?

Funny you should post this just now, because I was just going to ask if the new menu is up and running.  (I'm eating there tonight).  But the braised lamb is from the summer menu, not the fall menu.  Anyone?

Glad I got in on the tail end of the summer menu, then. And glad that the lamb will be on for fall!

BFA,

Craig

Glad I got in on the tail end of the summer menu, then.  And glad that the lamb will be on for fall!

BFA,

Craig

If you carefully peruse the Fall menu someplace earlier on this thread, you will see that the lamb will still be there. But, instead of tomato bread pudding, there will be PUMPKIN bread pudding. And, the cherry tomatoes will be replaced by sun-dried tomatoes. I, personally, can't wait to do a "compare and contrast."

My DH, also named Craig but clearly NOT the same person, thinks Wabeck puts Crack in those fried oysters. :lol:

The cheese plate last night had Purple Haze - a creamy goat cheese made by Cypress Grove in McKinleyville, CA. (They also make Humboldt Fog) It has lavender buds mixed with fennel pollen dusting the outside. Perfect smeared on the crispy toast they serve it with. There was a really nice assortment of other cheeses as well.

The cheese plate last night had Purple Haze - a creamy goat cheese made by Cypress Grove in McKinleyville, CA.  (They also make Humboldt Fog) It has lavender buds mixed with fennel pollen dusting the outside. Perfect smeared on the crispy toast they serve it with.  There was a really nice assortment of other cheeses as well.

The Purple Haze is definitely my favorite of the cheeses - a wonderful texture with a a subtle but delicious flavor.

The cheese plate last night had Purple Haze - a creamy goat cheese made by Cypress Grove in McKinleyville, CA.  (They also make Humboldt Fog) It has lavender buds mixed with fennel pollen dusting the outside. Perfect smeared on the crispy toast they serve it with.  There was a really nice assortment of other cheeses as well.

I didn't see you there last night. Clearly you were not up on your game as I am normally expecting you to make a big fussy show! :lol:

Derek was the man last night. Gave us some previews of the new cocktails. Manhattan fans, look for a version with hi-test bourbon and cider/calvados blend from Normandy. The Mrs. and something with gin and black currant (there were several other ingredients in there that I don't recall.) Yee Haw!

And I mentioned elsewhere about picking wines. Together, Derek and I decided on a bottle of 97 Barolo (their only Barolo I think) that worked out GREAT with steaks and lamb.

And I was very happy to see Liz, who I saw once as a server in the lounge, now working the bar. She's the best. She's one who, when asked a question she doesn't know the answer to will say: "I don't know. But I'm going to find out right now and let you know in a flash." rather than make up something just to sound informed.

Firefly continues to be the go-to, workhorse, fine food, fine service, fine value restaurant in DC. An all around winner.

And just look at that shine!

On a whim I went to Firefly for the first time for dinner last night, alone with no reservation. I know many of you are extremely well acquainted with this restaurant, so I won't go into great detail. I really enjoyed the look and the atmosphere and was hoping to sit at the bar. But it was too full, so the very friendly maitresse d' showed me to a table. Salmon papusa was delicious, with a bracing note of tomato sauce and pickled tomatillos to balance out the richness of the salmon and corn--a very nice starter. Braised lamb was less successful. The solid block of meat was well seared and had a beautiful color; I also admired the skill required to present a braised item in a way that maintained such a sharp geometric shape. But the texture was somewhat dry and flaky. I kept thinking of what Tom Power would have done with this dish. Flavor-wise it was very good, but perhaps the dry texture was the price to be paid for the impressive presentation.

A pear crisp with basil was over-sugared for my taste, overpowering any aroma or flavor the basil may have added to the dish.

But overall this was a very enjoyable dinner. The split of chateauneuf went beautifully with the lamb, and it would have been fun to explore the interesting wine list further. Alyx was a considerate and attentive server despite what appeared to be a full house. I can definitely understand why Firefly is a regular hangout for many on this board.

Edited by Banco

What does a person do after ordering badly at a local Thai place and leaving the restaurant hungry? Why, follow dinner with a cheese plate at Firefly, of course. A life preserver to rescue the evening.

The cheese now comes in two sizes, the smaller of which was just perfect for last night. A glass of happy hour sweet Spanish white washed down my personal picks of Purple Haze, Hooligan, and Hazen Blue. Dee-lish. 3 for $7.

Jael

Lamb tartare.  Lamb tartare.  Go.  Get some.

At the bar last night, decompressing with a plate of those divine fried oysters while waiting for a friend to arrive through insane Friday-before-holiday-rush-hour-rainingcatsanddogs traffic, there was a young woman at the bar nibbling at the lamb tartare. I asked her how she liked it. She said "Oh, it's very good. I just didn't realize tartare meant 'raw'!" :lol:

Oh, and if you are feeling under the weather, beat down, knocked around, or even if you're feeling spendidly, the new chicken soup on the menu is (I was going to say killer...) it is steaming hot richness, densely packed with cubes of chicken, sweet carrots, parsley, celery, and thin green soba noodles. The extra kick is the truffle oil floating on top. Killer.

I haven't been too high on Firefly on past visits, but I can say with authority that the lamb dish (described above with the sundried tomato sauce and pumpkin bread puding) kicks serious ass! The perfect foil to this crappy rainy cloudy gross weather we have been having for the past week. Sit at the bar, talk to the wait staff, eat lamb...you will enjoy

Friday night dinner at Firefly--long week and I needed a pick me up.

Started with the oysters and the mixed green salad. Wonderful as always. Sampled the new squash soup. Definitely a hit.

Mr. BLB had the lamb and I had the pork. The pork was good but the lamb was PERFECT.

Thank god we don't live across the street anymore. I wouldn't fit into my clothes and and my bank balance would be in the toilet.

Dessert was the new creme-fraiche panna cotta and the rice pudding. Both were nice but on the dull side. I miss the bittersweet chocolate panna cotta. I wonder if batting my eyelashes would work to get it back on the menu.

I did not try any of the new cocktails. Next time, when I don't have the car....

Jennifer

Shameless plug... (revised for clarity's sake)

FIREFLY'S WHISKEY REBELLION
Our appreciation for a sip of whiskey means that you can warm yourself from within, defying gloomy grey skies and dropping temperatures. Monday through Friday, a "reverse happy hour," appropriately named Whiskey Rebellion, begins at 10:30 P.M. until last call. We will feature whiskies from around the world with a special emphasis on Irish and American whiskies. The perfect night cap!

FREE WHISKEY TASTING
Wednesday, October 26, 4:30 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. @ Firefly
The fun kicks off with our free whiskey tasting hosted by whiskey educator Michael Goss. We will sample all five whiskies to be featured in October and November (list below).

Featured whiskeys for October and November include (in one-or two-ounce pours):
MONDAY--Famous Grouse Blended Scotch ($3.25 / $6.50)
TUESDAY--Highland Park 12-Year Single Malt Scotch ($5.50 / $11)
WEDNESDAY--Red Breast 12-Year Irish Whiskey ($5.75 / $11.50)
THURSDAY--Basil Hayden 8-Year Bourbon Whiskey ($4.25 / $9.50)
FRIDAY--Russell's Reserve 10-Year Bourbon Whiskey ($3.75 / $7.50)
Sample flight of three whiskeys--$13.50

Shameless plug...

FREE WHISKEY TASTING
Wednesday, October 26, 4:30 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. @ Firefly
Our appreciation for a sip of whiskey means that you can warm yourself from within, defying gloomy grey skies and dropping temperatures. Monday through Friday, a "reverse happy hour," appropriately named Whiskey Rebellion, begins at 10:30 P.M. until last call. The fun kicks off with our free whiskey tasting hosted by whiskey educator Michael Goss. We will sample whiskies from our Whiskey Rebellion in October and November (list below).

Featured whiskeys for October and November include (in one-or two-ounce pours):
MONDAY--Famous Grouse Blended Scotch ($3.25 / $6.50)
TUESDAY--Highland Park 12-Year Single Malt Scotch ($5.50 / $11)
WEDNESDAY--Red Breast 12-Year Irish Whiskey ($5.75 / $11.50)
THURSDAY--Basil Hayden 8-Year Bourbon Whiskey ($4.25 / $9.50)
FRIDAY--Russell-s Reserve 10-Year Bourbon Whiskey ($3.75 / $7.50)
Sample flight of three whiskeys--$13.50

Oh you evil, evil, evil....evil-doers. biggrin.gif

Agreed.  It's the best thing going for those of us who can't afford the Midleton's.

indeed, I am lucky enough to have a bottle of Middleton at home! and was lucky enough to be at a party a few weeks ago where one was opened :lol:

I'm also quite partial to this.

Matured in bourbon, port and sherry casks.....