• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This makes me feel even more fortunate to have had our lovely experience at Firefly last Friday. After spending 45 minutes in traffic to travel a mere three (3!!!) blocks, we had to give up on our Corduroy plans and instead visited Firefly. We realized immediately that it had been too long since we had been to this, one of our favorite restaurants, and one that has special memories for us both. We both had more than a sufficiency of fabulous food. I started with the rutabega soup. Yum -- rich but with plenty of rooty, rutabeggy flavor to keep you satisfied. We also split a cone of frites -- I said at the time, and I still maintain, that these were the best version we've had there since the early days. Not that the fries in the interim were bad...just that these were BETTER! Crispy, not greasy, with parmesan crumbles. Yum. Tripewriter celebrated his birthday with the fried oysters -- one of his favorites. Then he went onto order the spaghetting meatballs -- wow. I couldn't stop stealing the sauce by big spoonfuls from his plate. I loved -- LOVED -- it.

Derek was the consummate host -- friendly and pleasant without being intrusive, and it was nice to chat with Chef W. at the end of our extravaganza as well.

Derek, we wish you well -- thanks for your hospitality!

After nearly two years of standing beside the large faux tree that graces the entrance of Firefly, I am saying goodbye.

I will truly miss the excellent staff at Firefly, especially Chef John Wabeck. Firefly's success is due directly to him. I have learned a great deal during my stint, most notably in the world of wine. John has been instrumental in nudging me toward the Master Sommelier Diploma, of which I am currently a Certified Sommelier, through the Court of Master Sommeliers. His mentorship has been invaluable to me.

My new position is restaurant manager and sommelier at Agraria, opening on the harbor this spring. My new bosses are farmers--specifically, the North Dakota Farmers Union--and, like my previous bosses, they know a few things about good food. I will concentrate on the wine and beverage program (yeah, expect incredible cocktails). Not that I don't enjoy other restaurant tasks, but my passion in restaurants is and will always be poured from a shaker or bottle.

I will be at Firefly through April 27, 2006 and will start at Agraria shortly thereafter. For Agraria's opening date, watch the Agraria thread. Thank you all for being a part of my Firefly experience and I look forward to joining you at Firefly for a drink.

Once again, thank you John, Firefly and all the Rockwellian Tree Huggers.

Yours in Service,

Derek M. Brown

You keep moving closer to the Key Bridge, buddy.

First Rocky's (sigh), where I first met you and Krishna and quickly realized that you two are the nicest guys around.

Then Palena (let's just say I don't dislike that place) then Firefly (remember the Codmopolitian garnished with the cod-piece-shaped piece of cod?), now the Harbor (stay away from those Tony & Joe's fools). I will be sure to see you more often. I have no idea how Kimpton will replace you, but everyone has a time to move on. I wish you all the luck.

Several of us met for a special dinner at Firefly last night. The menu is attached. Thank you chefs Wabeck and Slipp, sommelier Brown and Capt. Beshear for such a wonderful evening. I'm sure pictures and descriptions from the others will follow.

Bonus points to those who can discern the origin of the name for the Aperitif No. 43.

post-43-1144942252_thumb.jpg

Several of us met for a special dinner at Firefly last night.  The menu is attached.  Thank you chefs Wabeck and Slipp, sommelier Brown and Capt. Beshear for such a wonderful evening.  I'm sure pictures and descriptions from the others will follow.

Bonus points to those who can discern the origin of the name for the Aperitif No. 43.

post-43-1144942252_thumb.jpg

What an honor to have a drink named after your member... number!

I would also like to add my thanks to JG's, for Chefs Wabeck and Slipp (coming out of retirement), and cocktail impresario Derek "the Dreamy" Brown's delightful tasting dinner.

The back room at Firefly, which seats about 16 guests, is an ideal location for a small private dinner - quiet, comfortably appointed, close to the kitchen and bar, and still feeling like part of the restaurant.

As one can see from the menu that JG posted, with the exception of the outrageously addictive fried oysters, and the cheese course (a last minute addition to our dinner) we were presented with items not on the regular menu. This allowed for a great deal of creativity for the Chefs and Derek, and surprises throughout the evening for all of us, which included many who had not been to Firefly before. All the courses would be welcome additions to the regular Firefly menu - and in particular, the aperitifs, the chili-roasted quail, and the grilled lamb loin with raclette potato gratin were among my favorites.

I am not a licorice fan, but Aperitif No. 43 (named in honor of JG's dr.com membership number) may convert me - it had pale-yellow licorice liquor cut with lemon juice and lemon zest, and a sliver of fresh tarragon. It paired well with a snack of tuna tartare, jalapeí±o and (I think) caviar on a small nacho chip. The second aperitif was a Campari and vermouth "Americano redux" that I enjoyed with the sweet fried oyster, and the third was a "Patty's Margarita" - a sweet mix of tequila, rhubarb-strawberry puree and lime juice with a sage leaf floating on top. A triple tasting whammy.

firefly412060028zj.jpgfirefly412060034um.jpg

I also particularly enjoyed the chili-roasted quail. Before trying this, my favorite quail dish was served at The Narrows on Kent Island - a bbq quail with polenta, blackberries and balsamic glaze. Last night's creation went far beyond - aromatic chili crisping the juicy quail quarters, toasted pinoli, sweet sultanas, peppery arugula, and quinoa to absorb the juices (mine paired with a zinfandel, but the others pairing with a syrah).

firefly412060110kf.jpg

And the lamb loin, grilled just on the near side of rare, was perfectly complemented with fresh new peas, oyster mushrooms (and oyster mushroom puree), and a pungent potato gratin made with raclette (paired with Merlot, Vergenoegd, Stellenbocsch '01).

firefly412060124di.jpg

Here are some additional photos:

Chilled cucumber-yogurt soup with preserved salmon belly and salmon roe

ssoup2cx.jpg

Seared scallop with grilled eggplant and curried eggplant emulsion

firefly412060096it.jpg

Cheese

firefly412060151xq.jpg

Salty chocolate beignets

firefly412060203wr.jpg

Chai/Tabacco panna cotta, Dalmore cream and vintage Venezuelan chocolate

firefly412060211lq.jpg

firefly412060237tm.jpg

Everything was truly delicious. Thanks to chefs Wabeck (nice meeting you at Taste of the Nation the previous night!) and Slipp for trying out such wonderful dishes on the group. As everyone can see from the excellent photos (as always, Crackers!), each dish was unique and beautiful as well as full of flavor. Loved it all but the QUAIL was particularly amazing with its meatiness and that underlying kick from the chilis.

Thanks Jacques for setting this up!

and surprises throughout the evening for all of us
Finding myself entirely too sober to continue the drive home yesterday afternoon, I stopped off at Firefly for a measured dose of soul-sustaining serum, enough to enable an attempt at the already swerving bridge--oh how I long for the days when I too lived on Connecticut Avenue and I and my low-borne ills could disport freely with my high-born chums. Rather than being able to enjoy my several spirit-emboldeners in glum silence, I found the 3 o'clock in the afternoon Firefly, usually in the furtive hush of cheap hotel affairs, instead a whirlwind of verve, moxy and entirely unwelcome energy (there was even some vim)--all in preparation for this dinner of unheard-of deliciousnesses and indulgences.

I too attempted to include my own surprise geule-teaser on this menu of surprises--a crustini of some sort, but was roundly denied participation and rightly drubbed into departure, only the lingering traces of my Hi-Karate giving any hint at all of my previous presence.

Crackers has done a wonderful job describing the meal and, in this case, a picture is worth 1,000 words. I loved the soup - it was fresh and clean and rich. The preserved salmon belly was hidden at the bottom of the cup - I can't describe it - perfect texture and flavor. The salmon roe added a nice bit of salinity in contrast to the flavor of the cucumber.

Aperitif No. 43 was an amazingly tasty concoction that I hope to enjoy again (in larger quantities <_< ) and the strawberry-rhubarb margarita was sweet and fresh (and an interesting contrast to the strawberry-rhubarb daquiri I had tried the night before at TOTN).

Thanks to the Chefs for their delicious creativity, Derek for being the gracious host, and to all the others who made the meal truly enjoyable!

FYI:

Happy Arbor Day!
We'd like to start by enticing you with Firefly's Arbor Day Celebration. April 27th through the 29th we're featuring a happy hour from 4:30 to 7:30 pm with specially priced appetizers and drinks. Appetizers include your favorites:

Truffle twigs $4.5
Fries tossed in truffle oil and parmesan with chives

Crispy bark oysters $7.5
Fried oysters with a chipotle remoulade

And more! We're also serving specialty cocktails and $5 Woodford Reserve Bourbon. There's no better way to celebrate a day for trees than under ours.

I have been trying to set up a dinner for 10 people at Firefly in May, and no one has returned my calls in two days after calling them twice. This is bad business, as far as I am concerned, and not a very good first impression. I guess they not want my business. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a group of this size on a Sunday night. Thanks

I have been trying to set up a dinner for  10 people at Firefly in May, and no one has returned my calls in two days after calling them twice. This is bad business, as far as I am concerned, and not a very good first impression.  I guess they not want my business. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a group of this size on a Sunday night. Thanks

I suggest that you give Rosa Mexicana a call :)

About half of the current menu is supposed to be changing sometime in the following week.

New Starters:

- Chilled asparagus soup with tarragon creme fraiche $8.50

- Three little tastes from the garden $9

- Housemade duck rillettes with chipotle toast and cornichons $8.50

- Portobello schnitzel with lentils and mustard vinaigrette $9

New Mains:

- Roasted breast of guinea hen with ginered grits, bok choy and shiitake mushrooms $25

- Roasted Alaskan halibut with morel-potato hash and port wine reduction $26

- Porterhouse of pork for two with twice baked, pork cheek stuffed :) Yukon potatoes, haricots verts and dried Mission figs $48

- Creamy saffron risotto with English peas, fava beans and marscapone cheese $18 (with smoked bacon add $4)

- Grilled lamb minute steak with Raclette potato gratin and caramelized fennel $22

Don't worry - the fried oysters are still there.

The porterhouse of pork for "deux" made its debut last night and it is damn good. It is perfectly seasoned and pan seared with a nice crust. They actually bring the thing out in the pan they cook it in and show it too you before they take it back and carve it up for you. They then bring you a plate of food that make you say "wow" when they sit it down in front of you. It's a monster. The twice cooked Yukon potatoes stuffed with braised pork cheeks are wonderful. The potato part of the stuffing is not mearly mashed potatoes pipped into the jacket of the potato, there actually are little lumps in there indicating hand preparation, just they way I like it. The mission figs are a nice addition, differernt from the apples you would expect on something like this. Paired with a nice Crozes-Hermitage.

Here is a picture (somewhat blurry, sorry):

post-43-1146852241_thumb.jpg

About half of the current menu is supposed to be changing sometime in the following week.

New Starters:
- Chilled asparagus soup with tarragon creme fraiche $8.50

New Mains:
- Creamy saffron risotto with English peas, fava beans and marscapone cheese $18 (with smoked bacon add $4)

Would anyone know if these menu items are vegetarian(*)? The last time I was there (early last summer) one or two of the soups were vegetarian, so there is hope for the soup and risotto.

If so, I'll be making reservations ASAP

(in this case "vegetarian" would include no beef or chicken broth, which are likely to be the offenders in these dishes.)

Friday's happy hour at FF was well attended by the usual suspects. Thanks to Chef Wabeck for selecting some nice wines for the event. A Spanish white of some sort (I didn't get to see the label so I have no idea exactley what it was). Floral and crisp, just right to relax for the weekend opener. The mourvedre was good as well (again, I didn't see the label). I ordered up some duck rillets which are the perfect thing to snack on while enjoying the wine. A clear glass crock of the rillets are accompanied by cornichon and toast. It only comes with enough toast to last about a quarter of the rillets, but just ask and they will bring you some sliced bread that will take care of the rest. One order was enough for the half dozen or so people sitting down at my end of the table to have a couple of bites.

Friday's happy hour at FF was well attended by the usual suspects. Thanks to Chef Wabeck for selecting some nice wines for the event. A Spanish white of some sort (I didn't get to see the label so I have no idea exactley what it was). Floral and crisp, just right to relax for the weekend opener. The mourvedre was good as well (again, I didn't see the label). I ordered up some duck rillets which are the perfect thing to snack on while enjoying the wine. A clear glass crock of the rillets are accompanied by cornichon and toast. It only comes with enough toast to last about a quarter of the rillets, but just ask and they will bring you some sliced bread that will take care of the rest. One order was enough for the half dozen or so people sitting down at my end of the table to have a couple of bites.

Gascogne (French white, grenache blanc I think, some ugni blanc and Colombard as well).

Jade Mt. Mouvedre.

Sorry I couldn't welcome youse, but when Moms gets married you have to show up.

I don't know where I got the idea it was Spanish. I don't think Liz was aware that Basheer had put a bottle of the Gascogne white to chill for us and was telling us about some other Spanish white that you had. I just got confused because when I saw your reference to Gascogne, I recalled that it was French, not Spanish. Either way, it was good juice.

I don't know where I got the idea it was Spanish. I don't think Liz was aware that Basheer had put a bottle of the Gascogne white to chill for us and was telling us about some other Spanish white that you had. I just got confused because when I saw your reference to Gascogne, I recalled that it was French, not Spanish. Either way, it was good juice.

Or maybe they switched it out. Knowing youse were coming, I picked some good stuff.

We went to Firelfy last night to celebrate a friend's birthday and although we were all excited to try it (none of us had been before) we all left a bit disappointed. Our food was actually decent, but by the time we walked out all we could talk about was the horrible service. Our dinner took almost exactly 2.5 hours.

We ordered no appetizers or desserts, so that's two and a half hours for entrees. I think the waitress came back maybe once to check in on us as we were eating, and that was pretty much just to try to sell us another bottle of wine (even though most people still had wine in their glasses). After she dropped off the dessert menus we didn't see her for probably 15 minutes and then we had to ask two different people to find her to get our check. After getting the bill it was another 10 minutes or so before she came back to retrieve it.

I lamented to my friends that we could have gone to Ray's and had soup, steak and key lime pie and been out the door in 50 minutes :)

I did enjoy my risotto with peas and fava beans and the roast chicken, steak frites, salmon and lamb all seemed to go over well, but when dining at a place with entrees running about $20 minimum, one tends to expect a little better service. I wouldn't be opposed to going back, but I probably won't be running there any time soon.

Firefly is having a June rose festival:

ROSÉ FESTIVAL IV - ALL GROWN UP

Rosé of Zweigelt, Tegernseerhof, "Durnsteiner,"

Wachau, Austria, 2005 $24

Pale orange in color with hazelnuts, tart cherries, Crenshaw melon and a good shake of minerality on the nose. On the palate, tarragon and sage perfume the crisp flavors of raspberries, cranberries, watermelon and lime zest. Zweigelt? Austria? Who knew?

Rioja Rosé, Muga, Spain, 2005 $22

Striking Barbie doll pink gets your attention, only to draw you in further with aromas of rhubarb, marzipan, strawberries and Epoisses (think strong smelling cheese). Exotic flavors of blood orange, yuzu and rose petals mingle with pomegranates and cream to provide a mouthful of goodness. Garnacha, Viura and Tempranillo make up this fine example from one of Rioja's best producers

Solo Rosa, (Sangiovese/Merlot), California, 2004 $29

Copper/burnt sienna colors. Bouquet of herbs, green peppers, fennel, orange blossom and wet stones. Ripe currants, smoke, peanut brittle, wild strawberries, cranberries and Earl Grey tea flavors are in abundance in this striking rosé.

Rosé of Cabernet Sauvignon, Vinum, Napa, California, 2005 $7/23

Shades of neon rose petal (like Don Johnson's jackets). Scents of baking spices, strawberry pop tart, currant jelly and grenadine are blended with hints of watermelon rind, lead pencil, candied sage and black cherries on the palate. More serious than you think at first taste, from the blokes at Vinum who can't seem to play anything straight.

Rosé, Argiolas Serra Lori, Isola dei Nuraghi, Sardignia, Italy, 2005 $26

Hues of vibrant ruby and pink. Candied apple, cherry, tangerine and lemon verbena aromas. On the palate, blood orange flan, Dr. Pepper, parmesan cheese and quince make up this not-so-run-of-the-mill effort. Cannanou, Monica, Bovale Sarlo and Carignagno co-star in this summer blockbuster.

Rosé, Cotes de Provence, Les Domaniers, France, 2004 $39

Classic smoked salmon in color. Basil, lavender and peppered melon aromas with yellow delicious apples, peaches and white cherries on the palate. One of the benchmark rosé producing areas. Serious, serious wine here.

Rosé, Vina Albijeres, Vina de tierra de Castilla, Spain, 2005 $19

Light purple. Sweet basil, black pepper, pomegranate and black grapes on the nose. Tart cherry, cream, blueberry, blackberry and Canadian bacon flavors (sounds like Syrah 'cause it is) explode on the palate. Lush and eminently drinkable.

Rosé, Turkey Flats Vineyards, Barossa Valley, Australia, 2005 $38

Magenta and cranberry nectar tinted. Whiffs of white peach, cassis, and Jolly Ranchers are joined by dense berry flavors, all lightened by a touch of lemon zest. This juicy blush is comprised of Grenache, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and Dolcetto.

Rosé, Turkey Flats Vineyards, Barossa Valley, Australia, 2005 $38

Magenta and cranberry nectar tinted. Whiffs of white peach, cassis, and Jolly Ranchers are joined by dense berry flavors, all lightened by a touch of lemon zest. This juicy blush is comprised of Grenache, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and Dolcetto.

In case anyone is interested in this wine, it is available at Costco for around $12 a bottle. It has become my house rosé since it was released.

There's a link upthread so I don't know how inner circle it is. Definitely worth a click. :)

Ah, cats as cats can... now I understand. As usual, I am out of the loop on the inner circle references. Thanks for cluing me in.

My fiancee took me on a date to Firefly last night. I had none of the service problems that plagued New Foodie, and we both left feeling satisfied.

I tried their Little Italy cocktail - for some reason it really DID remind me of my time in Italy.

I started with the duck rillettes (which I found suprisingly bland!) and she had their chicken noodle soup (which I found surprisingly flavorful!).

Somehow we ended up ordering ourselves a potato overload. In addition to our two appetizers, we also got some of their parmesan truffle frites, which were DEFINETELY the highlight of the evening. I'm going to try recreating them using some truffle salt from Cheesetique. Then our entrees came with sides of MORE frites and some lyonaisse potatoes, but for some reason we ALSO ended up ordering an additional side of lyonaisse. I'm feeling very starchy this morning.

I got the lamb. I thought it was some of the best fennel I've ever had - usually I don't care for it because I hate licorice, but the power of it was very well controlled.

The future Mrs. Cole got the steak. The meat itself was good, but nothing special, but the sauce and compound butter were fantastic and went beautifully together. The steak, however, was not nearly as good as the frites themselves dipped in said sauce and butter.

For dessert we shared a coffee and cream float. It was suitably refreshing given how full of Irish dirt candy we were.

That's another of DC's good restaurants to check off my list. Next up... Citronelle.

But first, a stop into Ray's during the week.

Dear Jesus,

Thank you for the steak frites at Firefly. And for Albarino. And for Alyx, a very patient server with a good sense of humor.

Love,

Laura

Laura - they're damn good, aren't they? :unsure: If you want to try duplicating them (or at least the flavors) at home, trying picking up some truffle salt from Cheesetique in Del Ray, along with some parmagiano reggiano. Then cook up your favorite french fries and toss. If you lack a deep fryr, a potato cutter, or the patience to cut fries by hand, you can just use roasted potatoes.

OR, if you want to get creative, go to McDonald's and ask for some french fries with no salt. This is a little trick a former employee taught me. Because you ask for no salt, they HAVE to make you a fresh batch. That way you know you're getting them right out of the deep fryer instead of from under the heat lamp (plus you'll be adding the truffle salt anyway, so you don't want them TOO salty). Toss them with the truffle salt and parmesan, and enjoy.

Dined at Firefly last evening and caught the unveiling of their new menu. I had the roasted duck with peaches and plums, orange vinaigrette on a bed of chard. (Menu says duck breast but my piece was a leg quarter.) Scrumptuous with the sweetness of the sauteed fruit slices melding with the fatty juicyness of the perfectly medium rare duck. Had the heirloom tomatoes (first of the season locals) with red onion vinaigrette and slivers of asiago cheese as a starter.

Having become recently svelte due to limitations on my gustatory habits from a broken ankle, I did not manage to try anything else amongst the new offerings. They include: as starters -- classic gazpacho, corn chowder with smoked bacon and poblano chiles, salmon gravlax with lemon oil and salmon roe/preserved salmon belly with green papaya salad; as mains -- roasted Phoenix Farms half-chicken with tomato bread salad and parsley puree, BBQ salmon with spicy corn salsa, polenta and spiked watermelon, and seared halibut with black-eyed peas spicy sausage and gumbo emulsion. The estimable Chef Wabeck still rocks!