• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey all,

Just an FYI about Saturday nights in the bar/lounge at Firefly. All bottles will be available at half-price!

Reds, whites, affordable and expensive are all available, so bring your friends and let the wine flow. We are doing this until Labor Day so come by while the good stuff is still here!

Hope to see you all soon,

Hey all,

Just an FYI about Saturday nights in the bar/lounge at Firefly. All bottles will be available at half-price!

Reds, whites, affordable and expensive are all available, so bring your friends and let the wine flow. We are doing this until Labor Day so come by while the good stuff is still here!

Well well look what the cat dragged in... How did last night work out for you? I think bar sales from 10:30 to close were probably about 50-60 percent former or current employees. I might have to come by for some wine on Saturday. My boy just got back into the country from Iraq so I am at his mercy this weekend. But I will plant the Firefly seed on Saturday and see if it takes.

Hey all,

Weeellll. Welcome to DR.com Basheer.

The future Mrs. Cole got the steak. The meat itself was good, but nothing special, but the sauce and compound butter were fantastic and went beautifully together. The steak, however, was not nearly as good as the frites themselves dipped in said sauce and butter.

I had lunch here about a month ago and didn't like the steak, mostly because it was served at a lukewarm temperature at best. Definitely not cold and "send back"-worthy but it put a slight damper on our meal. At least it was perfectly medium-rare. The frites were excellent and probably would've been better if I had thought of dipping them into the sauce/butter. And I agree that the chicken soup was a pleasant surprise, unlike anything I've had before (visually and otherwise).

Hopefully the lamb shoulder will make its return in the fall. Can't wait to have some of that again.

Congrats to the chef as well.

What was the achievement? If it was about his fries, I TOTALLY called that.

John just passed the second level of the Master Sommelier exam, joining Kathy Morgan and Michael Flynn as the only area professionals who have done so (I think). Next stop: level three - there are only 124 people in the world who have passed level three and can be officially called a Master Sommelier.

We're proud of you John!

John just passed the second level of the Master Sommelier exam, joining Kathy Morgan and Michael Flynn as the only area professionals who have done so (I think). Next stop: level three - there are only 124 people in the world who have passed level three and can be officially called a Master Sommelier.

We're proud of you John!

And, as I understand it, Chef Wabeck is only the 3rd person in the DC area to reach the level he recently attained. He is in a rarified atmosphere indeed; hopefully he will reach a level where the air is even thinner.

Earlier in the week, I stopped by FF on my way home from work for a bit of the wined down happy hour. I was chatting with Chef Wabeck and he said "I gotta go cut salmon." I asked him how he was preparing the salmon and he said it incldued scotch bonnet peppers. I said to my self "h'mmm" I'll give it a try.

The seared salmon came on a bed of polenta and was smothered with a fresh sweet corn relish and garnished with a slice of watermelon that had been treated with some sort of sweetner which seemed to intensify the summer flavor.. Well, the salmon was perfectly cooked and the relish had a bit of scotch bonnet here and there. The sweetness of the watermelon contrasted very well with the sting of the scotch bonnets.

If you are tired of the restaurant week crowds, head over to FF (not doing RW); Wabeck is doing some great things with the summer produce.

The seared salmon came on a bed of polenta and was smothered with a fresh sweet corn relish and garnished with a slice of watermelon that had been treated with some sort of sweetner which seemed to intensify the summer flavor.. Well, the salmon was perfectly cooked and the relish had a bit of scotch bonnet here and there. The sweetness of the watermelon contrasted very well with the sting of the scotch bonnets.

Y'know....reading this....I don't even think I'm going to ask for a menu. Just bring me the salmon.

For a nice list and a nice atmosphere this was a great deal, though we were really disappointed that flooding closed the kitchen last night before we were able to order any food to accompany our bottle.

Still more disappointing was heading to Hank's to find out that they too had " techinical difficulties" with their kitchen and were not serving food that evening. So, what happened in South Dupont last night?

Are there any new standout dishes on the FF menu that I should look out for?

I was there recently and had the mahi mahi (they ran out of wahoo) with black-eyed peas, andouille sausage and gumbo emulsion. Very good, though the mahi mahi was a bit salty. The steak frites are always a good choice. The tomato-bread salad is tasty (and a good deal for $4 as a side). The bbq salmon with corn, polenta and watermelon looked interesting. (After reading other posts, perhaps I should've chosen it.) My favorite appetizer: the fried oysters with chipotle tartar sauce. I've had these before, and this nite the batter wasn't as light, and the oysters weren't as plump and juicy. They were over-fried. Not that it wasn't good, (because deep-fried crunchiness is never bad in my book), but they just tasted different this time. Had a simple dessert of roasted peaches with basil and vanilla ice cream. Never would have thought to put basil and peaches together, but it worked. A nice 'taste of summer' treat. I always have a nice meal when I go to Firefly. The bar scene dominates, the dining space is small and tight, and the noise level is high, but the food and service has always been good when I've visited.

Thanks to everyone offering fashion advice. I dressed to impress the bevy of lovely ladies in the lounge area but I think having my wife on my arm scared them off. Or maybe it was just me.

We ordered a bottle of the house shiraz and shared the salmon gravalax/belly appetizer, the risotto with smoked bacon and tomatoes, and the truffled frites. All were very tasty, though the "bacon" was more like large (huge) hunks of ham. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of crispy bacon. The flavour of the bacon/ham didn't really work it's way into the risotto. Service was very nice and cordial. We'll be back to take on the steak frites.

Chef Wabeck is planning his new fall menu. Following is a draft. Everything, including format, prices and items, are subject to change.

Charcuterie etc.

Jamon serrano 9.

Housemade pork rillettes 8.

Quick cured duck breast with roasted apples 8.

Assorted salumi 9.

Prosciutto di Parma 9.

Housemade country pate 8.

House marinated olives, radishes and hard cooked eggs 5.

Cured salmon gravlax with roasted lemons and fennel 9.

Salads/Soups

Firefly salad: haricot verts, avocado, watercess and blue cheese 8.

Arugula with lemon parmesan dressing, crisp speck ham 10.

Bibb lettuce with walnut vinaigrette, scallions and endives 9.

Field greens with champagne vinaigrette and goat cheese 8.

Soup(s) du jour 8.

Small Plates

Red wine braised/grilled octopus with creamy polenta, spinach and herb butter 14.

Polenta crusted scallops with sautéed peppers and saffron oil 17.

Crisp oysters with chipotle dipping sauce 14.

Crisp duck confit with roasted fingerling potatoes and butternut squash cream 14.

Mid-sized plates

Flash seared tuna with creamy garlic sauce and potato gnocchi 16.

Fluke with soba noodles/broth and fresh wasabi 18.

Lamb T-bones with olive jus and gremolata 17.

Spicy pork ragout with green chili rice 14.

Large Plates

Sauteed trout with mustard and Peekytoe crab 19.

Grilled flat iron steak with sautéed mushrooms 16.

Roasted free-range chicken with bacon and turnips 15.

Seared venison medallions with braised red cabbage 20.

Sides

Haricot verts with sage and hazelnuts 9.

Fingerling potatoes with horseradish crème fraiche 8.

Cranberry bean cassoulet 7.

Quinoa with roasted eggplant and harissa 8.

Roasted root vegetables with brown butter 9.

Swiss chard with bacon 7.

Frites 3.5

Garlic frites 5.

Truffle frites 10.

I will be at Firefly tomorrow for a "wine and cheese" party for a friend who is getting married this weekend. Has anyone eaten any cheeses at Firefly lately, and if so, what can I look forward to?

I think they are on a rotation, but you can expect whatever they have to be pretty good. Didn't Don write about having an excellent cheese plate there recently?

Merguez crepinette, with quinoa. Worth a trip if there's any left.
Right on, Sister. The crepinette was nicely roasted on the outside with just a hint of pink in the middle. The caul fat in which it was wrapped gained at bit of crispiness during the roasting process as well. The spiciness of the Merquez was like cheap underwear, it creeps up on your ass. I was lucky, I've had two; one last night and one the night before (I had a hot tip that they would be on special Wednesday evening). The quinoa went well with crepinette and there was some pan jus to give it some soakage. The stuff is damn good. I hope they make frequent appearances.

My wife took me to Firefly Friday for my birthday. She "surprised" me by reserving a restaurant from a list that I wanted to try. If she hadn't surprised me, I would have read this thread and realized that Firefly is almost a second home to many DR.com folk (do you think Michael Landrum feels threatened?).

Also b/c I was surprised I didn't review the posts to see what to eat, so I picked just what I thought sounded good, so please forgive any poor choices.

We both loved our first courses: She got a watercress salad and I got the Jamon Serrano and the fried oysters. The ham was salted just perfectly. The oysters were wonderfully warm and smooth after the crunch even though they were a little overbreaded.

For our entrees I got the lamb chops b/c it was my favorite thing at Fogo de Chao, and it was really just ok. The beans underneath were just there and the meat itself was on the tougher/fattier side. My wife faired much better with a delicious, Indian-inspired Trout dish. Of course we also got the truffle fries which were nothing but indulgent.

As for service, it was on the slow side even though our waiter was always in a hurry. It seemed like his tables were really spread out and not assigned a certain section. Not sure if that was to give him bigger tables elsewhere but we would have had another drink or two if he had come around more.

At the end of the night I had a wonderful conversation with the general manager Mike, who came over to check on our experience. He seemed genuinely interested as we talked food, DR, Frederick, and the recent menu changes. I mentioned to him that a format like Firefly would succeed in Frederick, but one thing I didn't mention was that part of the success would be how lively bar area invigorates the restaurant (that's true for every successful downtown restaurant in Frederick; Zest misses that concept). Mike seemed like a genuine guy and a real asset to the company. He made me wonder, though, if I'd have liked Firefly better with the older menu, which he said catered more to "dining" instead of the new one which catered to "eating."

I'd definitely go back, though, but I think I'd probably stick to the lively bar area and hit the small plates and charcuterie. So many other restaurants to try!

I took my mom to lunch at Firefly today. We started with a small bowl of cream of celery to chase away the chill. I had the watercress and smoked salmon with horseradish creme fraiche, Yukon gold potatoes and chives. They were out of the peekytoe crab salad, so this was a second choice. Watercress was a little overdressed but the salmon was delicious.

Mom had the warm ham and Gruyere sandwich. It's just a grilled cheese, but she liked it. I'd like a regular supply of the chips it came with because they were really delicious.

ETA: it's lovely to be there when it's quiet enough to have a conversation.

The fried oysters I had at the bar the other night were wonderful - the best I've had all year: crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Just what I wanted.

Agreed. The truffle french fries was the perfect accompanyment to the fried oysters. It was my first time since the summer and it seemed like the prices were hiked up considerably...is it just me?

Neither I nor the "Search Topic" function can find any mention of brunch at Firefly. Yet that is the meal I expect to have there on Sunday. Any thoughts to share? (I've never been to Firefly at all, and I have gathered that I should make myself engorged with truffle fries, if possible.)

(Also, I'm assuming I wouldn't need a reservation for a two-person late brunch ... ?)

Neither I nor the "Search Topic" function can find any mention of brunch at Firefly. Yet that is the meal I expect to have there on Sunday. Any thoughts to share? (I've never been to Firefly at all, and I have gathered that I should make myself engorged with truffle fries, if possible.)

(Also, I'm assuming I wouldn't need a reservation for a two-person late brunch ... ?)

I don't believe brunch shows Firefly at its best, but the food is still pretty tasty.

edited to remove useless non-information

My most recent Firefly visit was a huge disappointment. In late November, I was in for lunch during the week. Service was not at all attentive or responsive (slow to attend to empty drinks, hard to catch waiter's attention). And my croque monsieur was really really greasy. And, it really was just a fried ham & cheese, rather than the gruyere smothered goodness that I had high hopes for. Basket of bread was probably a day old. Ugh.

Really bummed me out, because I've had good to very good meals there in the past, and I want to go back.... but it'll be a while.

Rating for this visit: 1/2 of 5 stars.....

I had lunch at the bar at Firefly perhaps a week before the holiday happy hour. Service was great and I had one of the best steak frites I've ever had anywhere. A flat iron steak cooked a perfect medium rare with the usual frites. But what set it apart was the pan reduction saucse that it was served with. It really hit the spot.

I won't ever understand why Firefly changed off the old menu to the tapas style menu. The new menu has been nothing but awful. Used to eat there at least once a month and now I won't even go back in.

Tapas style, really? They added a section for charcuterie and some smaller plates, but that does not really make it 'tapas style'. I take it you also think that the food is much worse and it is not the menu style that you dislike.

Tapas style, really? They added a section for charcuterie and some smaller plates, but that does not really make it 'tapas style'. I take it you also think that the food is much worse and it is not the menu style that you dislike.

It's really a combination of the two. The new menu is poor at best- twice I've received meals that have been terrible (once the octopus, and once venison if memory serves me correct. These experiences were both a few months ago, thus my memory isn't fully in place. That said, this restaurant was a favorite of mine for a long time and I wish they'd just go back to that which they do best- upscale comfort food in a great setting.

It's really a combination of the two. The new menu is poor at best- twice I've received meals that have been terrible (once the octopus, and once venison if memory serves me correct. These experiences were both a few months ago, thus my memory isn't fully in place. That said, this restaurant was a favorite of mine for a long time and I wish they'd just go back to that which they do best- upscale comfort food in a great setting.

I have enjoyed the new menu and think it is one of the better ones in recent memory, although I think the sides are IMHO a bit overpriced. To each his own I guess. I dishes that come to mind that I have enjoyed are the pate, rillettes (big thumbs up here), lamb T-bones, and the venison. Not to mention that they have a good selection of charcuterie and wonderful cheese plate.

Today, I was glad to see some new stuff on the menu at Firefly. The spicy shrimp with wild rice cake is a great appetizer. The shrimp are succulent and wild rice cake provides a nice contrast in texture and adds an earthy backdrop. The spiciness takes a moment to hit you but when it does, it increasingly warms the palate.

The confit of duck bread pudding is a savory play on the classic desert. The confit is mixed in with the bread and some Gruyère cheese. The top and sides are browned and crunchy. Well worth sticking your head in to Firefly for some new innovations from the creative mind of John Wabeck. Oh yeah, I forgot, the pate is worth your while as well.

Wines by the glass are now $7 during happy hours.