Food-Related Films

monavano

Had an opportunity to see this last night, and it was a delightful, quirky movie. Subtitles leave a lot to be desired, but still well worth seeing. Nanyoku Ryorinin

From Amazon

An Antarctic research station is possibly the last place anyone would expect to encounter seriously fine dining, but nevertheless this is what's on the menu in Shuichi Okita's delicious adaptation of Jun Nishimura's autobiographical novel. Lobster, foie gras, you name it-nothing is too luxurious for Chef Nishimura to dish up to the eight man crew of the Dome Fuji Station research base in the frozen no-man's land where not even a virus can survive, let alone a human. As the men carry out the mundane tasks of their communal isolation interrupted by occasional playful forays into the stunning exterior wilderness, they develop bizarre cravings or dress eccentrically and start to pine for home. Okita wisely concentrates the action around the much-anticipated meal times, with Nishimura as a kind of surrogate mother to the disparate team members, seeking to constantly divert them from going stir crazy. Taking a low key, elliptical approach to the story, and told from Nishimura's point of view with flashbacks to his much-missed wife and young daughter, The Chef of South Polar is a delightful, quirky blend of daily observation and elegantly simple aesthetics and a mouth-watering addition to the food movie genre. Don't, on any account, come hungry.

I found that I couldn't sleep last night and even though I was craving food, it was really past prime digestion time. So I did the next best thing, which is to watch a movie that was food-related. Maybe we can merge this thread with our old one so someone can index this too?

Thus, below is a list of films that I watched last night and where I watched it, in case others want to watch the same film. Hope you will add yours.

Le Grand Chef - Korean (Amazon Prime)

Le Grand Chef 2, Kimchi Battle - Korean (Amazon Prime)

Cafe Seoul - Korean (Amazon Prime)

Okay. Calling this movie [The Cook, The Thief ....] "dyspeptic" is like calling Olympus Mons a hill. I remember going to the Carlyle Grand Cafe after watching this and I just sat there and stared, unable to eat a thing.

My vote would go to "Babette's Fast," the story of a French refugee in Denmark who grew thin because she refused to eat her codfish gruel, or "A Night In P(a)rison," which documents the pathos underlying Paris Hilton's first confrontation with a frozen salmon patty.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Sometimes I forget how funny I am.

When it first came out my parents took me to see Tom Jones.  They might have taken my sister, 2 and 1/2 years younger than me also.  I might have been 11 or 12.  I think my parents were embarrassed afterwards, not realizing how bawdy the film was.

The food scene left an indelible memory.  I was naive, young, uneducated in the full implications of that scene, not fully appreciating all of the "elements" around it.  But the memory was indelible.  Entirely indelible.  It was a scene I recalled into young adulthood even as there were elements I couldn't fully appreciate at that young age and innocent state.

Those years were the period of epic films, The Ten Commandments being the other film with scenes stuck in my brain.....ahhhh...but the eating scene.  It left an unerasable memory.

• Like 1

When it first came out my parents took me to see Tom Jones. 

When I was in high school my father spent money on a fancy new toy that he totally couldn't afford but totally couldn't live without: a video tape player.  And then he started buying movies.  One of the first he showed me was Tom Jones (1963 Best Picture winner), and it quickly became a favorite.  So much so that I actually slogged through the entire (unabridged) book - one of the earliest English-language novels, by the way.  Any book that uses the word "eleemosynary" in the first sentence is going to be a slog.

In the mid-90s (I think) a terribly chopped-up short version was released on VHS, and for a long time was the only version available.  It was unwatchable.  Some time in the last ten years (I think) the movie was restored; I saw a screening at the AFI.  I'm not sure the friends I dragged along to watch it quite got it, but so what.

"We are all as God made us and many of us much worse".

Thanks for bringing back the memories.  Oysters, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tezjznL9NzM

darnit how do you embed videos, anyway?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like this (EVERYBODY READ THIS so I don't have to keep doing it. I would like *everyone* to create their own English-language hyperlinks instead of having this http://www.a.b.c stuff all over the screen. It's easy! Look!

1) Type the line of text that you wish to become a hyperlink: Mary had a little lamb

2) Highlight the line of text by holding down your mouse and running the cursor over it. The entire background of Mary had a little lamb should be blue.

3) Click on the "infinity sign" (that's what I call it) - 9th icon from the left on the bottom row

4) Type the URL in the pop-up box (you don't need to type www, and you definitely don't want to type http:// ... just type the website name without any of that other stuff ... then click "OK" when you have it in there

You now have a hyperlink.

See? Isn't it easy? :)

That's how you do hyperlinks. In terms of embedding videos, I get it to work with YouTube by simply typing the URL out like you did, but for non-YouTube videos, it doesn't work. If anyone else can figure it out, I'd like to know myself.

Cheers,

Rocks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tezjznL9NzM

and, I should add, not all YouTube videos work for me, e.g., this one. I cut-and-pasted your text, and it didn't work. And yet! When I used your text to link over to YouTube, then copied the URL from *there*, I came back and put it in again. Look what happened:

All I can think of is that there must be some unreadable characters being picked up at the end, or something like that. I'm pretty sure I've never cut/pasted a URL directly from YouTube that *hasn't* worked. That's the best I can offer you. Note that as I type in "Edit mode" the YouTube-sourced URL does not show up as a hyperlink - it looks like plain text. Yet, it will resolve to a video whereas the others won't. Perhaps *that* is the reason why: Once it's already a hyperlink, it won't embed the video.

Edited by DonRocks

The fact that you could slog through that book is very impressive.   Beowulf nearly killed me.

Referencing the topic was surprising.   At a naive 11 or 12 the food scene in Tom Jones left an indelible memory.  I think back to that period and suspect I was completely unaware and naive to suggestive sexuality.   That scene, wordless, with inviting smiles, leering glances, suggestive picking of teeth, rough handling of food, and then running off to bed was completely enthralling and etched forever in a young developing brain and imagination.

The people who voted on Oscars that year picked a deserving film.

One of the first he showed me was Tom Jones (1963 Best Picture winner), and it quickly became a favorite.  So much so that I actually slogged through the entire (unabridged) book - one of the earliest English-language novels, by the way.  Any book that uses the word "eleemosynary" in the first sentence is going to be a slog.

"We are all as God made us and many of us much worse".

Thanks for bringing back the memories.  Oysters, anyone?