Oh geez, now Ramen is "hot" (pun intended)? Lord help us all... It may be a good thing because of the severe recession, but not because it's gourmet or worthy of showcasing on a menu.

The real stuff can be amazing. off all the noodle soup, I would guess that ramen has the most fanatic of following. Do a search on youtube for "ramen Top30"

As for the variety of noodles and stock types, it is large. I miss a good bowl. Might be worth making a trip to NY just for that and soup dumplings.

Thank goodness their are at least good pho places to take up the slack.

BTW, DC is lacking a great laksa place as well. Had laksa at a janpanese place in chinatown. I have to say it wasn't bad but $12 for a small bowl is just too pricy.

Ren's was no match for Ippudo, but much better than I expected.

I wish I'd gone with the fatty pork as I see suggested above. The standard pork was most definitely the weakest link -- rubbery and flavorless. I also found the broth to be a little too salty, but not to any serious detriment.

I never made it back out for ramen while in Atlanta, and did learn of a few places closer than Suwanee, to get authentic ramen.

I guess when I go to New York in a few weeks, I'll try to get ramen.

In the meantime, I appreciate the obsessiveness illustrated in this article: One Noodle at a Time in Tokyo

My dentist is located across the street from Tachibana so I went there for lunch yesterday. I saw ramen on their menu so I ordered it, along with spanish mackerel, horse mackerel, and sea urchin sushi. The miso ramen was pretty bland, with half of a hard boiled egg, some dry pork, a chunk of fish cake, a ball of spinach, and some bean sprouts. I will hit Ren this weekend to find out how much better they are and then next week I'll try Ippudo.

Genuine Ramen (yes, I know there are many kinds, but I'll take "genuine enough") in the greater Springfield-Burke-Annandale-Fairfax area, please? Suggestions for the best bowls available? Something that David Chang might actually order?

• Like 1

Genuine Ramen (yes, I know there are many kinds, but I'll take "genuine enough") in the greater Springfield-Burke-Annandale-Fairfax area, please? Suggestions for the best bowls available? Something that David Chang might actually order?

Will be very interested to learn if such a thing exists that far out. It took a long time for DC to sprout some serious ramen shops (aside from Ren's) and, even now, can count them on one hand.

Will be very interested to learn if such a thing exists that far out. It took a long time for DC to sprout some serious ramen shops (aside from Ren's) and, even now, can count them on one hand.

[The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Tanpopo (noamb)

Satsuma (Pool Boy)]

Here's a link to my google map of restaurants serving ramen in the DC metropolitan area.  No recommendations are implied, no rankings, it's just a map.  If you know of a place that's not on the map please reply here and I'll include it -thanks.

• Like 5

Here's a link to my google map of restaurants serving ramen in the DC metropolitan area.  No recommendations are implied, no rankings, it's just a map.  If you know of a place that's not on the map please reply here and I'll include it -thanks.

Daikaya not included? Or am I being stupid?

Love the map! People should have those for other items, very handy!

Add "Streets Market" off Mt. Vernon in Del Ray. Had it the other night. Details later. Toki is gold standard of 10 for me. Daikaya 8. This was a 4-5 (only tried pork).

Daikaya not included? Or am I being stupid?

Serious oversight on my part - thanks for catching it!

Love the map! People should have those for other items, very handy!

Add "Streets Market" off Mt. Vernon in Del Ray. Had it the other night. Details later. Toki is gold standard of 10 for me. Daikaya 8. This was a 4-5 (only tried pork).

In the past I've made similar maps (and posted links to them on dr) for cheeses, bakeries, restaurants in western Virginia, and coffee.  The coffee map is pinned in that subforum.

I don't see how you get, from my comment, that I thought that porcupine was clueless.  I was responding to the request for suggestions, while noting that I might have just failed to see it.

No worries!  I didn't read it in a negative way.  :-)

Crane & Turtle does ramen on Tuesdays from 5-6:30pm.  A bit limited, so your call if you want to include it.

Otherwise, great list!

• Like 1

If you know of a place that's not on the map please reply here and I'll include it -thanks.

Zento on N Washington in Alexandria (bad, but for completeness), and Ichiban on King St in Old Town Alexandria (decent). Still have to go to Tanpopo for reasonably good ramen, if we don't want to go to or through DC.

• Like 1

Zento on N Washington in Alexandria (bad, but for completeness), and Ichiban on King St in Old Town Alexandria (decent). Still have to go to Tanpopo for reasonably good ramen, if we don't want to go to or through DC.

Thanks.  I didn't see ramen on Ichiban's menu (plenty of udon, but that's different) so I didn't include it.

Tried the Crane & Turtle pork shoyu ramen yesterday.  It's definitely in our top 3 for DC, with Toki and Daikaya being the other 2.  The noodles are perfectly cooked and spring-y.  The broth is porky but clean tasting.  The toppings are half an egg, 3 perfect thin slices of pork, and a generous toss of scallions.

They're going to do dandan noodles next week.  We plan to go back.

• Like 1

We tried the Momofuku pork ramen and hozon ramen on Sunday.  The pork ramen was okay but had some definite shortcomings "“ a broth that's overpowered by the salty smoke of Benton's Ham (I love Benton's bacon but never liked their ham in any manifestation), the noodles were a little overdone, the noodle to broth ratio was off, and the broth was not hot enough.  Didn't like the hoson ramen - the noodles were too thick and the noodle to broth ratio seems even more off, plus I was not a fan of the panisse topping.

I liked their baos (tried shrimp, pork, and beef) much better, though considering that they work up to almost $10 per bao after tax and tip, I doubt I'd go back unless a friend specifically request a dinner there.  A trip to Crane & Turtle's Tuesday ramen combined with more afterwards eating at Petworth Citizen is a more appealing and cheaper plan.

The Ssam sauce was excellent, especially on the pork rinds.  So good to know he sells a bottled version on his website.

Since there are apparently 3 Ramen places in Rockville within a very short distance of one another (Temari, Maki, Ki No Spoon), would anyone care to chime in on if any of them are particularly worth a visit and/or which one is the best of the bunch?

Since there are apparently 3 Ramen places in Rockville within a very short distance of one another (Temari, Maki, Ki No Spoon), would anyone care to chime in on if any of them are particularly worth a visit and/or which one is the best of the bunch?

Take this for what it's worth: I've been to all three.  It's been several years since I went to Temari and have never been back.  I had completely forgotten about the existence of Ki No Spoon until creating the map.  I ate at Maki last week with a friend and enjoyed it, and would consider going back, but it was nowhere near as good as Toki, Daikaya, SUshi Taro, or even Marumen.  (I had tonkatsu; the broth was not overly rich or fatty, nice flavor, but the noodles didn't have the characteristic springiness that makes ramen so delightful.)

Temari is worth the visit, but for the curry, katsu, black cod, and takoyaki, not the ramen. It's also worth the stop because of Maruichi Grocery upstairs as well as the Kielbasa Factory.

The only decent ramen I've had in that area was at Ren's and that was ages ago.

• Like 2

I was in Rockville and in the mood for ramen, so decided to check out Kino Spoon.  I had the volcano ramen and enjoyed it, but once you get down to the bottom of the broth, it is quite spicy. As one of my friends is now allergic to four-legged critters, the vegetarian and chicken options on the menu were appreciated as well.

Funny! I used to get David Chang's Lucky Peach magazine, and still get the emails, and just yesterday I received an email from them and one of the article was titled, "Ramen is dead........or so says David Chang"

I haven't read it yet but here it is.

• Like 1