DC Central Kitchen Night - Weds, June 13 - 5PM

goldenticket

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DR.com volunteers once a month at DCCK, normally on a Monday or Thursday evening. We've been doing this for more than 2 years! Essentially, kitchen prep work for their meal production the next day.

About Volunteering at DC Central Kitchen

Volunteers are an integral part of DC Central Kitchen. Each year, more than 14,000 volunteers work side-by-side with the men and women of our Culinary Job Training program, preparing more than 4,500 meals a day, 365 days a year. The evening Co-op shift is from 5 to 8 on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays only. Volunteer activities include chopping, sorting and vacuum-sealing fresh produce that we get from local farms; mixing salads; portioning meals; de-boning meat; baking healthy snacks; and sorting cans.

I'm touched that Zach and I are so popular that when we can't go, the attendance drops, but we really do need to fill the 10 spots!

Mon Feb 7, 5p-8p

qwertyy

goldenticket

chaofun +1

Anna Blume +1

xochitl10

ol_ironstomach

goodeats

P.S. Weather and traffic has robbed them of volunteers the past couple of days. They are desperate for help this week on the following shifts:

• Thurs 5p-8p
  • Fri 9a-12n
  • Fri 5p-8p

If you can help, contact Carolyn at 202-234-0707 X 108

Anyone here park nearby? While intentions are to take public transportation, information regarding safe, inexpensive parking options are welcome. Thanks!

There is meter parking in front of DCCK.

Edited by goodeats
Sticking to goldenticket's version is better.

Anyone here park nearby? While intentions are to take public transportation, information regarding safe, inexpensive parking options are welcome. Thanks!

While not publicized/encouraged, it is OK to park in the gravel lot by the entrance to the kitchen for the evening shifts, as long as you arrive right around 5pm (or later). Not OK for the weekday morning (9am - noon) shifts - should anyone ever volunteer for those time slots. It's rare that you find an open spot, but there is un-metered parking on the west side of 2nd Street, between D and E.

See everyone there tonight!

Thanks, everyone, for the information about parking nearby!

Both the numbers volunteering and the numbers of tasks were modest this time around; after the break we worked for 10-15 minutes tops, finishing and cleaning up.

I started out transferring take-out salads into aluminum pans and sealing them, setting the two clam shells w sliced turkey aside, and ultimately, when asked to return to the same duty, pointing out that the second batch wasn't quite as fresh and should be discarded which the DCCK crew decided was a fair assessment.

Meanwhile, three women from a different group were placed behind huge, steaming cauldrons to blanch chopped Brussels Sprouts while a larger group of guys joined us--if only cjsandler were there with his knife skills since they were fast and possibly professionals. Everyone waited for the Michael Jackson tape and sure enough, as we focused on blades and fingers, there he goes telling us to keep our heads up.

At any rate, it looks as if local suppliers overstocked chicken wings for the Super Bowl since that's what part of the crew cleaned, seasoned and set onto trays. The rest of us were stationed at cutting boards with serrated knives designed for right-handed people. We coupéed beacoups de choux, slivering the pale green heads for slaw. Fun. So far, we've lucked out. No onions. No plucking and eviscerating.

New this time in the break room: a spread of delicious, nourishing food from the culinary students of DCCK! Spicy stews, chicken with peanuts, rice... Sparky promised recipes.

This is really such a good time. I've enjoyed my last two DR nights so much that I've signed up for a shift on my own next week. (And Curtis said I can just show up any time he's working. :) )

A HUGE thank you to DanielK for heralding this great organization and giving us the opportunity to participate!

PS--that peanut stew was AWESOME.

SWMBO and I would like to join the group for the first time this month. Please count us in. Should we eat first (especially if Mrs. DrX is a picky eater)?

Prob should eat a snack at least... usually lasts till 8 or so. Last month the break food was pretty killer though.

SWMBO and I would like to join the group for the first time this month. Please count us in. Should we eat first (especially if Mrs. DrX is a picky eater)?

It depends. If you or your SO gets affected by certain smells, then no, because sometimes smells from the chopping of raw onions would make me queasy and eating beforehand would just exacerbate that. The DCCK crew usually gives us a break around 7pm, and as chaofun said, the past few break snacks they provide for us have been pretty tasty.

Which means we still have 1, maybe 2 spots left.

Rather: 2, maybe 3, as I suddenly have to bail for annoying work-related reasons. I PM-ed DanielK, but thought I'd post here in case anyone was on the fence about joining who might be more motivated now that we're one more person short...

Rather: 2, maybe 3, as I suddenly have to bail for annoying work-related reasons. I PM-ed DanielK, but thought I'd post here in case anyone was on the fence about joining who might be more motivated now that we're one more person short...

Booo Sweth. Gallo and I will have to catch up with you the next time.

My back is sore and my legs and hands are tired after 2.5 hours of straining over 50 gallons of cooked raspberries, but my heart feels warm. Mrs. DrXmus and I are happy that we went and thanks to DanielK for organizing. We're definitely in for most Thursday volunteer nights. Thanks, too, to ChaoFun for helping knock out the last of the raspberries, and for the tip to wear a hat so I don't have to wear a hair net next time. Good to know. Great time tonight.

Next session is only a little over 2 weeks away. I'll start the list next week.

For your reference, here's the dates for the rest of the year:

Monday, 04/11 (15 spots)

Thursday, 05/12 (15)

Monday, 06/13 (15)

Thursday, 07/07 (10)

Monday, 08/08 (15)

Thursday, 09/15 (15)

Monday, 10/17 (15)

Thursday, 11/10 (15)

Monday, 12/12 (15)