DC Central Kitchen Night - Weds, June 13 - 5PM

goldenticket

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a few cancellations, so was able to clear almost everyone on the waitlist. Here's the current roster; remember to let me know ASAP if you have to bail.

DanielK

squidsdc +1

goldenticket

hm212

susanmab

goodeats

grover

rkduggins

zoramargolis

MelGold

starfish

Waitlist:

NPCinDC

If someone wants to make dinner plans for after, feel free to take the reins. Otherwise, I plan on wandering over to the Dubliner for a pint (or 3).

All of the guidelines and rules are on the website, but the basics:

• be there by 5pm for orientation
  • no open-toed shoes
  • long pants required
  • sleeves required (no tanks or bare midriffs)
  • wear a hat, or they'll give you a hairnet
  • don't bring your own knives
  • very limited parking (take Metro if you can)
  • lockers available, but travel light

P.S. Since they are now starting to be booked FOUR months out, I went ahead and booked 10 spots for one shift each month July through December. I am NOT going to take names yet; a month before each date, I will post a message and start a list.

Here are the dates, just FYI:

Mon 7/27

Thurs 8/13

Mon 9/28

Thurs 10/29

Mon 11/16

Thurs 12/17

I assumed that we would have more difficulty filling spots on a Friday night, so alternated Monday and Thursday.

P.S. Since they are now starting to be booked FOUR months out, I went ahead and booked 10 spots for one shift each month July through December. I am NOT going to take names yet; a month before each date, I will post a message and start a list.

Here are the dates, just FYI:

Mon 7/27

Thurs 8/13

Mon 9/28

Thurs 10/29

Mon 11/16

Thurs 12/17

I assumed that we would have more difficulty filling spots on a Friday night, so alternated Monday and Thursday.

That's great Daniel - thanks for doing that!

Bump. Since there is a waitlist, please let me know ASAP if you are out.

Otherwise, see everyone on Thursday!

I got a few cancellations, so was able to clear almost everyone on the waitlist. Here's the current roster; remember to let me know ASAP if you have to bail.

DanielK

squidsdc +1

goldenticket

hm212

susanmab

goodeats

grover

rkduggins

zoramargolis

MelGold

starfish

Waitlist:

NPCinDC

styglan1

If someone wants to make dinner plans for after, feel free to take the reins. Otherwise, I plan on wandering over to the Dubliner for a pint (or 3).

• no open-toed shoes
  • long pants required

Hey, thanks Daniel for setting this all up. I knew DCCK was a great organization, but getting inside there is a good reminder of just how great. I'll definitely be back, and will probably be able to scare up some of my less-foodie friends even.

It was nice to meet everyone. I'll check my calendar on the picnic.

Thanks Dan. It was my first time to volunteer and my pleasure doing it as a group.

I was teamed up with a lady who joined individually and she was very helpful. I didn't know that DCCK is a 2 blocks away from my office building. I could have come more often if I knew it.

Anyone up for another DR.com night at DCCK?

I'm actually glad to say that the evening Co-op shift has become their most popular event; however, it does mean they're booking solid THREE MONTHS in advance!

The next shift we can get 10+ volunteers at is late April: Monday 4/20, Thursday 4/23, or Friday 4/24.

Post here (or send me a PM) which shifts you can do, and if we can get at least 10 names for one of the dates in the next couple of days, I'll book it.

I'm new ... what is DCCK?

Time to bring this thread back to the top.

The first of the monthly DR.com nights at DCCK is just a few weeks away, so it's time to put names on the list. All of the rules and logistics are further up in the thread.

I am now taking names for Monday, July 27th, 5:00pm to 8:00pm. Please RSVP via PM so we don't clutter up the topic. We have 10 spots, I'm taking one, so the first 9 PMs get the spots. +1's allowed only if they are DR.com members, or we don't fill the slots.

Thanks!

I am now taking names for Monday, July 27th, 5:00pm to 8:00pm. Please RSVP via PM so we don't clutter up the topic. We have 10 spots, I'm taking one, so the first 9 PMs get the spots. +1's allowed only if they are DR.com members, or we don't fill the slots.

Thanks!

NO Two more spots available - Thanks!

DanielK

goodeats

Xochitl10

laniloa

xcanuck

goldenticket

gnatharobed

Skipper10

Marks

grover

Thanks for coming out tonight, everyone! Someone post about how great a time you had - it's a shame that we could only fill 8 of our 10 spots.

The August date is Thursday, August 13th. Since that's only a bit over 2 weeks away, and I'm out from the 1st through the 10th, I want to get the list of attendees set NOW.

As usual, please send me a PM - first 10 responses get a spot.

It is a shame that we could only fill 8 of our 10 spots because DCCK makes it so darn easy to volunteer. They have a great setup and the time flies. I've been to other places where I felt as if 1/3 of my volunteer time was wasted because they had a disorganized setup -- not this place. I tried to sign up via their website for other shifts and they are booked solid for months. I would tell DanielK to sign me up now for next month but I'll be welcoming my new nephew. So the rest of you should step up -- a great cause, great company, and probably easier than any other volunteer shift you've ever done.

Thanks for organizing Daniel - As always, I had a great time! I really enjoyed the shift last night - it's great to be able to take produce from local farms and get it ready for DCCK to use it for meals (over 4,000 a day) or freeze/save it for future use. And hang out with some nice people at the same time :rolleyes:

The August date is Thursday, August 13th. Since that's only a bit over 2 weeks away, and I'm out from the 1st through the 10th, I want to get the list of attendees set NOW.

As usual, please send me a PM - first 10 responses get a spot.

We're on for this Thursday, and I only have 8 names so far.

I'm starting to wonder whether I should have reserved 10 spots per month if this is what the turnout is going to be. Hopefully this is just August vacations; come on, fill the spots up!!

Send PMs, please.

DanielK

Marks

rkduggins

xcanuck

goodeats

goldenticket

Merry Mary

NCPinDC

What are the post DCCK plans? I could go for a nice cocktail and nibblies. Thinking Oyamel or Proof. Or someplace else.

We usually make them up as we're walking out the door. I'm always down with Proof, though we'll be in sweaty jeans and t-shirts...

All full for this Thursday - thanks everyone. Next scheduled DR.com night is Mon 9/28.

DanielK

Marks

rkduggins

xcanuck

goodeats

goldenticket

Merry Mary

NCPinDC

Mrs. B

Waitman

• no open-toed shoes
  • long pants required

So, just over 2 weeks before the next DCCK night.

And, not having consulted the calendar several months ago when I booked these days, I've royally hosed this one up.

September 28th is Yom Kippur.

So, I'm out. But it doesn't mean the goyim out there can't fill our 10 spots. So, fire away (PM please), and it'll just happen without me this month.

So, I'm out. But it doesn't mean the goyim out there can't fill our 10 spots. So, fire away (PM please), and it'll just happen without me this month.

Oy. I signed up for the 17th online. There were several available slots if anyone who can't make the 28th wants to join me.

I've got only 3 people in for this month. Should I drop the reservation to 3, cancel for this month, or are there a few more hiding in the woodwork who want to come out?

FWIW, this is my all-time favorite volunteer effort, and I look forward to going every single time. No experience necessary.

Folks, those are the only two RSVPs that I have for DCCK at the moment. I was hoping last month was a fluke, but if we can't get a bunch more in the next 48 hours, I'm going to reduce our reservation for Monday.

I don't know if people are more busy, or the shine has worn off, but I don't want to keep holding 10 spots each month if we're going to show up with 3 people. I'm wondering if I should cancel November and December.

Folks, those are the only two RSVPs that I have for DCCK at the moment. I was hoping last month was a fluke, but if we can't get a bunch more in the next 48 hours, I'm going to reduce our reservation for Monday.

I don't know if people are more busy, or the shine has worn off, but I don't want to keep holding 10 spots each month if we're going to show up with 3 people. I'm wondering if I should cancel November and December.

I am in. What time again?

I'm a tentative 'yes' - will confirm early next week.

For those who haven't volunteered at DCCK yet, come on out! It's a fun way to do something good for a lot of people (4,500 each day!) and a great organization.

I know 5:00pm is hard for a lot of people to make on a work night, but it's worth coming in a little early or taking a short lunch :(

Even "Top Chefs" think so!