DC Central Kitchen Night - Weds, June 13 - 5PM

goldenticket

Excellent time as usual last night. Possibly the largest group of folks I've ever seen for the co-op shift (including the 12 Rockwellians).

A special thank you to Sparkycom both for the delicious break time treats and the sharp knives! A great way to start off the holiday week.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome - got to 10 in just a few hours!

DanielK +2

ol_ironstomach

squidsdc +1

Mrs. B

Rovers2000

leleboo

laniloa

Given how quickly we've given out the spots the last couple of months, I will look at increasing the size of our group going forward. Would love to see us get all the way to reserving all 30 spots once a month!

Awesome - got to 10 in just a few hours!

DanielK +2

ol_ironstomach

squidsdc +1

Mrs. B

Rovers2000

leleboo

laniloa

Given how quickly we've given out the spots the last couple of months, I will look at increasing the size of our group going forward. Would love to see us get all the way to reserving all 30 spots once a month!

[so would I, but let's not bet our happiness on it. 10 is good. Daniel, you've done an awesome job, and you should be content with the amazing work you've done for DCCK regardless of whether or not we can grow it; if it stays at this very same level, it's still great! Can I speak for everyone on the website and give you a big, hardy round of applause, and a giant thank you for all that you've done? THANK YOU, DANIEL!]

I'm sure we won't be turned away even if we bring 11, so see you Monday, mdt.

No, you won't. :) Got into work this morning to find that I have an afternoon meeting that will not let me get downtown until too late. That is what I get for not checking my calendar before posting.

Thanks to everyone who came out last night, and in fact any time in 2010. I can't say enough about the critical work that DCCK does, and how important the evening volunteers are to their mission.

For the regulars, here are the dates I've booked out for the first half of 2011. For those who haven't come before, please join us! I'll continue the habit of announcing 2 weeks in advance of each date, and finalizing attendance 1 week before. Note my ambition in moving from 10 to 15 spots starting in April!

Thursday, 01/13/2011 (10 spots)

Monday, 02/07/2011 (10 spots)

Thursday, 03/24/2011 (11 spots)

Monday, 04/11/2011 (15 spots)

Thursday, 05/12/2011 (15 spots)

Monday, 06/13/2011 (15 spots)

Thanks to everyone who came out last night, and in fact any time in 2010. I can't say enough about the critical work that DCCK does, and how important the evening volunteers are to their mission.

For the regulars, here are the dates I've booked out for the first half of 2011. For those who haven't come before, please join us! I'll continue the habit of announcing 2 weeks in advance of each date, and finalizing attendance 1 week before. Note my ambition in moving from 10 to 15 spots starting in April!

Woohoo!! See you all next year!

Thanks to YOU Daniel. It's been a lot of fun and good for the soul.

And your efforts have influenced others; from my doing this my office mates are now wanting to organize a "team" event as well! Also, if at any time you need to fill a few slots, I may be able to coordinate to bring one or two others with me. I raise my glass to you.

New year, same goal.

Won't you come help us fulfill one of DCCK's central missions - prepping for the next day's cooking? It's a couple hours of your day chopping vegetables, and over 4,000 people the next day are thankful for your efforts.

Thursday, January 13th, 5p-8p. See you there.

New year, same goal.

Won't you come help us fulfill one of DCCK's central missions - prepping for the next day's cooking? It's a couple hours of your day chopping vegetables, and over 4,000 people the next day are thankful for your efforts.

Thursday, January 13th, 5p-8p. See you there.

Count me in, please. :)

DanielK +1

Xochitl10

ol_ironstomach

leleboo

qwertyy

goldenticket

Anna Blume

[only 2 spots left!]

We haven't repeated the directions in a while, so here's the basics, cribbed from their website.

Please arrive promptly by 5p for orientation. Pack light, and bring no valuables. Purses and jackets can be left in a (locked) room, but you won't have access to them until the end of the shift unless it's an emergency. We generally finish up about 7:30 or so, with a short break in the middle.

Adherence to the following dress code is required:

• Long pants
  • Closed-toed shoes (no sandals)
  • Tank-tops are not allowed.
  • No exposed midriff
  • Wear a hat, or a hairnet will be provided

DC Central Kitchen is located at 425 Second Street , NW.

Directions: The D.C. Central Kitchen is located on the ground floor of the Federal City Shelter at 425 Second Street NW. The Federal City Shelter is a three story gray building on the southeast corner of Second and E Streets NW. Please note that the Central Kitchen cannot be entered from Second Street . The entrance to the Central Kitchen is at the back of this building, down the service road off of E Street NW and is marked by a large sign. It looks like a service/delivery entrance.

Parking: Parking at DC Central Kitchen is not available; public transportation is recommended. Parking options include metered street parking, parking at Union Station and the parking garage off of First street between D street and E street. [ed. note: generally, parking is available for the evening shifts, but is not guaranteed]

Taking the Metro: Take the Red Line to the Judiciary Square stop. Exit onto Fourth Street NW , and turn around at the top of the escalator. Walk to E Street NW and take a right onto it. Stay on E Street, crossing 3rd St. and 2nd St. Turn right onto the service road, just behind the building.

BUMP!! See y'all there at 5pm.

Any plans for afterwords? I would LOVE a drink (and maybe a kimchi dog) at The Passenger....

If today isn't as soul-sucking as the preceding ones, I might be in for a cocktail. But then, if it IS as soul-sucking as the preceding days, I might NEED a cocktail. Only time will tell...

Thank you,

Thank you,

Thank you,

my kind and gentle friends...

my charitable and giving friends...

my friends who I'm proud to call friends...

my wonderful friends who do so much for others...

my reasons for keeping this website going - yes, you...

my confirmation that this community is worth more than one...

my observation that Daniel has been the captain of this glorious ship...

Thank you,

Rocks

The secret is to find the stash of knives with the black handles. MUCH sharper than the others. We were trying to cut soft grapefruit with the white handled knives and it was like trying to pierce leather with a plastic fork (I was thinking of a more "graphic" analogy but good taste prevailed). Thanks to cjsadler for that tip!

I believe the next volunteer stint is on Mon Feb 07 (Dan - can you confirm?)...Let's try to do some post work drinking (and eating, if that's your kind of thing). Monday night might make it more reasonable to get a group into some place like Proof, Passenger, Johnny's Half Shell, etc.

The secret is to find the stash of knives with the black handles. MUCH sharper than the others. We were trying to cut soft grapefruit with the white handled knives and it was like trying to pierce leather with a plastic fork (I was thinking of a more "graphic" analogy but good taste prevailed). Thanks to cjsadler for that tip!

Yes -- the black-handled ones are the new Victorinox knives that sparkycom told us they put out just for us! :) The difference is really unbelievable. Although I have to admit my favorite part sometime is seeing ol_ironstomach go off on a manic trek for the diamond steel hanging over the sink...Hee! :)

What a fantastic evening--thanks you guys! After a rough week, I'm feeling quite zen from hours of cheerily chopping with some good people. I'll have to work on my knife skills for next month though; I went to town on those grapefruit and have a huge blister to show for it! :)