DC Central Kitchen Night - Weds, June 13 - 5PM

goldenticket

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roughly two weeks out, so it's time to start collecting names for the May volunteer event. Who's in? No kitchen experience necessary. And for those of you with teens who need community service hours to graduate, DCCK is on most of the pre-approved lists.

Thursday, May 12, 5p-8p (15 spots)

DanielK +4

ol_ironstomach

squidsdc +1

sweth

laniloa

cjsadler

Bump - room for 4 more - speak now before I hand the open slots back to DCCK...

Roughly two weeks out, so it's time to start collecting names for the May volunteer event. Who's in? No kitchen experience necessary. And for those of you with teens who need community service hours to graduate, DCCK is on most of the pre-approved lists.

Thursday, May 12, 5p-8p (15 spots)

DanielK +4

ol_ironstomach

squidsdc +1

sweth

laniloa

cjsadler

Roughly two weeks out, so it's time to start collecting names for the June volunteer event. Who's in? No kitchen experience necessary. And for those of you with teens who need community service hours to graduate, DCCK is on most of the pre-approved lists.

Monday, June 13, 5p-8p (15 spots)

DanielK +1

Xochitl10

Anna Blume

Post here or PM to join the group. Suggestions for post-DCCK meal always welcome (maybe we'll try Toki this time?)

Still 10 11 spots available...

Roughly two weeks out, so it's time to start collecting names for the June volunteer event. Who's in? No kitchen experience necessary. And for those of you with teens who need community service hours to graduate, DCCK is on most of the pre-approved lists.

DanielK +1

Xochitl10

Anna Blume

laniloa

Post here or PM to join the group. Suggestions for post-DCCK meal always welcome (maybe we'll try Toki this time?)

Last chance to join us on Monday before I give the other spots back...

Who's in? No kitchen experience necessary. And for those of you with teens who need community service hours to graduate, DCCK is on most of the pre-approved lists.

DanielK +1

Xochitl10

Anna Blume

laniloa

goldenticket

Is Monday a really bad day for everyone? Thursdays are impossible for me, so I hope Daniel doesn't stop alternating Mondays w Thursdays...

I looked back over the past year, and it doesn't seem to be a pattern of Monday vs. Thursday as far as the bigger crowds. So I'll continue to alternate to reach all audiences.

So, as a seasoned volunteer at DCCK, I hurried to the sink to wash hands up to the elbows in hot water and soap. Donned plastic gloves, size S. Put on hairnet since, running late, I forgot a hat. Rushed to station to find familiar faces and help finishing up the task at hand: filling aluminum pans w 50 spare ribs and a little water, covering them w plastic wrap, then labeling the foil cover, sealing and storing the pans in the refrigerated unit nearby.

Next? I was told we should repeat process, but this time w summer squash that was wheeled out on a tall (for me) cart loaded w about twenty trays worth. So, I reach not directly in front of me, but high above my head and grab both sides of the pan filled to the brim with rounds of cooked squash. See where I am going yet? If not, you have no more business working in a professional kitchen than I do.

I should have reached for the ends of the sturdy metal trays instead of the flimsy, throw-away foil pan. I also should have tied on a plastic apron after tucking in the ponytail. The pan folded. Green and yellow mush city.

DCCK, thanks for the loan of tee shirt and khakis which I promise to return on Sunday.

I'll let Daniel fill you in on the really great conclusion to the evening which I am sorry Jackie could not make.

BUMP - just in case this got lost over the weekend. My screwup - can anyone help this week?

CRAP! I forgot to put the 2 week warning on my calendar, so I just realized that it's THIS THURSDAY. Hope some can make it...

Thursday, July 7, 5p-8p (10 spots)

Hi, guess what time it is again?

Two weeks out, so it's time to start collecting names for the August volunteer event. Who's in? No kitchen experience necessary. And for those of you with teens who need community service hours, DCCK is on most of the pre-approved lists, and the minimum age is 12.

Monday, August 8, 5p-8p (15 spots)

DanielK +1

darkstar965

laniloa

goldenticket

cjsadler

Post here or PM to join the group. Suggestions for post-DCCK meal always welcome; the default seems to be Taylor Gourmet or Toki Underground if other plans don't surface.

Hi, guess what time it is again?

Two weeks out, so it's time to start collecting names for the August volunteer event. Who's in? No kitchen experience necessary. And for those of you with teens who need community service hours, DCCK is on most of the pre-approved lists, and the minimum age is 12.

DanielK +1

Post here or PM to join the group. Suggestions for post-DCCK meal always welcome; the default seems to be Taylor Gourmet or Toki Underground if other plans don't surface.

Will be a first time for me but I'm happy to pitch in for this one. And, Toki would be cool. Atlas also in that area.

Will be a first time for me but I'm happy to pitch in for this one. And, Toki would be cool. Atlas also in that area.

Excellent! We love n00bs. The rules and logistics are somewhere upthread (and on the website), but the basics:

• Arrive on time
  • Wear a hat/ballcap, or you will have to wear a duncecap hairnet
  • No cutoffs, tanks, shorts, or open-toed shoes

Toki or Taylor Gourmet are good choices for me because I'm usually bringing my 14-year-old son, and while he'll happily chow down at the bar at Corduroy, Granville Moore's, etc., my budget suggests that Toki and Taylor are better choices.

One week out - any more takers before I throw the open spots back to DCCK?

DanielK +3

darkstar965

laniloa +1

goldenticket

cjsadler

Post here or PM to join the group. A few of us are going to Hill Country BBQ for dinner following the event.

Our next DR.com shift at DCCK is a few weeks off (9/15), but there's are some opportunities available next week, should anyone have a morning free. From an e-mail from DCCK's volunteer coordinator:

DEAR VOLUNTEERS DC CENTRAL KITCHEN IS IN NEED OF VOLUNTEERS FOR SEPTEMBER 6TH, 7TH & 8TH FOR THE 9-12 NOON SHIFT

Volunteers are asked to register on line at http://www.dccentralkitchen.org/volunteer.php .Group leaders can sign up for the whole group at one time , once you register for an account , you will have to close out and go back to the web site and sign up for a shift. it will allow you to sign up for 1-25/30 volunteers at one time.