Saigon Bistro, Dupont Circle - Closed

cheezepowder said:
Thread update: Aioli's gone, in its place is Saigon Bistro.

From their website--

"Saigon Bistro is a new restaurant in Dupont Circle that brings truly authentic Vietnamese cuisine to Washington, DC. It's a family-owned business whose owners include Luna Howard, a native Washingtonian and entrepreneur, and her relatives, who recently emigrated to the U.S. after running an exquisite Vietnamese gourmet restaurant in their native homeland. We invite you to dine with us to experience Vietnamese food at its best."

I'm game! Unfortunately this is not real close to my work, but it is close enough that I'll walk over as long as it isn't below freezing outside. I hope either here or Jack's offers some tasty Pho!

From their website--

"Saigon Bistro is a new restaurant in Dupont Circle that brings truly authentic Vietnamese cuisine to Washington, DC. It's a family-owned business whose owners include Luna Howard, a native Washingtonian and entrepreneur, and her relatives, who recently emigrated to the U.S. after running an exquisite Vietnamese gourmet restaurant in their native homeland. We invite you to dine with us to experience Vietnamese food at its best."

I'm game! Unfortunately this is not real close to my work, but it is close enough that I'll walk over as long as it isn't below freezing outside. I hope either here or Jack's offers some tasty Pho!

Tried their pho yesterday. Very nice, accomodating wait staff, and the place is, for now, quite clean and spacious (extra points for the open kitchen), but the broth, even with some heat (sliced chiles, rooster sauce) added in the hopes of eliciting more flavor, was as shallow as that at your average DC Vietnamese joint. The meatballs were too heavy, and the tripe and brisket were thoroughly average.

In short, it's got nothing on Pho 75. But for that block, a nice addition if we're trying to be eclectic about our cuisine options.

Tried their pho yesterday. Very nice, accomodating wait staff, and the place is, for now, quite clean and spacious (extra points for the open kitchen), but the broth, even with some heat (sliced chiles, rooster sauce) added in the hopes of eliciting more flavor, was as shallow as that at your average DC Vietnamese joint. The meatballs were too heavy, and the tripe and brisket were thoroughly average.

In short, it's got nothing on Pho 75. But for that block, a nice addition if we're trying to be eclectic about our cuisine options.

nice first post! Welcome!

I love this on the menu at Saigon Bistro's website:

57. Chicken - White Meat $8.51

58. Chicken - Dark Meat $8.55

59. Chicken - Both $8.55

That's cutting it pretty fine.

Actually, it occurs to me that it's not quite fine enough. If the white meat is $8.51 and the dark meat is $8.55, surely half-n-half ought to be $8.53?

I love this on the menu at Saigon Bistro's website:

That's cutting it pretty fine.

Actually, it occurs to me that it's not quite fine enough. If the white meat is $8.51 and the dark meat is $8.55, surely half-n-half ought to be $8.53?

The actual menu in the restaurant lists all those options at $8.55

SO, myself and Ms. Goodeats made it over to the Saigon Bistro to sample the goods, and as I had been craving, I got the pho. Specifically, I ordered Phở Tái Chín, which is brisket and "rare beef". To sum up: I was underwhelmed. The previous assessment upthread was more or less spot on. The broth is pretty thin and strangely sweet, which was not exactly what I want out of pho. The beef itself was relatively flavorless and rather lacking in terms of amount. The noodles were pretty good, but that wasn't going to help bring this bowl of pho back to life. Still - the restaurant space is pretty nice and I think, if the chef takes some of the pho suggestions under consideration, I think this place could actually do pretty well. I would probably go back if I had the craving since it is really centrally located to my office, but I think the place needs some time to improve.