Urfa Tomato Kabob, Casual Turkish East of Verizon Center in Chinatown on 6th and H Street - Closed

Noticed this place a few days ago while walking around. Doesn't appear to be open for dinner yet, lunch only right now. It's right next to Chinatown Express on 6th.

I haven't had a chance to try it, but my sister-in-law did and said it was rather good. In particular, they supposedly make their pita from scratch and she noted that their pita was particularly good.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I thought y'all might like to see what real Urfa kabob looks like.

post-710-1233956068_thumb.jpg

lunch, 10 April 2008, Şanlıurfa merkezi

The tinned copper mugs are for drinking ayran. Not visible is the counter full of trays of skewered meat ready for the grill. The knife is for prepping your onions and cilantro. Pile 'em high, give everything a vigorous sprinkle of spices, wrap and eat!

Tried the falafel sandwich for lunch today. The falafel patties were nicely seasoned and relatively crisp (to start out with, but quickly cooled and got soggy, see bread comments below). Three or four patties on the sandwich, along with cucumbers and tomatoes and a smattering of tahini. They gave me extra yogurt sauce and tahini on request, otherwise IMO the sandwich would have been a bit dry and underflavored.

The bread is a puffy round rather than pita -- it's not bad on its own, but for my personal taste I don't think it's the best match for falafel. Too much bread quickly suffocated the falafel patties and they turned cold and mushy. Maybe it works better with the meat sandwiches.

All in all, nothing stellar, but a decent cheap lunch.

PS - Can someone explain what "Urfa" refers to? Is it a place?

Tried the falafel. Agree it's not their best showing. IMO the lamb and beef is much much better. Now must try the chicken!

There is some inconsistency as to which bread they use. Sometimes it is the pita, others it is the ciabatta. The pita is much better.

I like how the bread stands up against the heftyness of the sandwich though my sentimental heart is at the same time saddened by how thick the bread is. I miss my thin pita and eating my doner kebabs with a fork. Overall, not bad, but I have yet to find a chili sauce that beat my favorite place in London.

So this place is around 4 years later, and I have to say I still like the doner sandwiches here... lamb & beef w/ lettuce, onions, and tomatoes stuffed into a warmed pita and it comes with yogurt sauce and hot sauce to apply yourself. Last year, they expanded their menu to among other things, include kofte and some additional platters. Doner sandwiches are $7 a pop, while the kofte sandwich is $6. The kofte is decent, but not enough to make me stray from the doner. I like the kofte at Astor much better. But in general, there just aren't too many places in the district making food like this.

So this place is around 4 years later, and I have to say I still like the doner sandwiches here... lamb & beef w/ lettuce, onions, and tomatoes stuffed into a warmed pita and it comes with yogurt sauce and hot sauce to apply yourself. Last year, they expanded their menu to among other things, include kofte and some additional platters. Doner sandwiches are $7 a pop, while the kofte sandwich is $6. The kofte is decent, but not enough to make me stray from the doner. I like the kofte at Astor much better. But in general, there just aren't too many places in the district making food like this.

It's one of "those places" that has settled in, and disappeared into, Chinatown. Remember all the hype Momiji was getting when it first opened? <crickets chirping>