Sushi-Ko or Kaz Sushi Bistro?

crazeegirl

My go-to place for sushi/sashimi at the bar was Sushi Taro. Now that it's closed for renovation, I am debating whether to go to Sushi Ko or Kaz Sushi. My MO is to sit at the sushi and request that the chef give me whatever is fresh and good. Which place would you recommend? I've been watching this Japanese documentary about tuna fishing---after each catch, they follow the fish to the restarurant it ends up at and shows "glistening" (from camera lights, i bet) toro and ever since I can't get my mind off toro.

Zora and I have almost opposite experiences, I have been to Kaz many, many times, and Sushi-Ko only a few. Where we differ is that I like them both. If they have Toro (I have been to both on nights when they don't), it will be of very good quality. But given my choice between the two I would go to Sushi-Ko for the reason that Zora alluded to, if Koji is making your meal it will be impeccable.

I've only been to Kaz a couple of times, but I've been to the Glover Park Sushi Ko many, many times and Kaz didn't impress me as being better than Sushi-Ko, so I'd say go to Sushi-Ko. Especially if you can sit at Koji Terano's station.

KAZ! sit at the back bar and just let em send out surprises!

My go-to place for sushi/sashimi at the bar was Sushi Taro. Now that it's closed for renovation, I am debating whether to go to Sushi Ko or Kaz Sushi. My MO is to sit at the sushi and request that the chef give me whatever is fresh and good. Which place would you recommend? I've been watching this Japanese documentary about tuna fishing---after each catch, they follow the fish to the restarurant it ends up at and shows "glistening" (from camera lights, i bet) toro and ever since I can't get my mind off toro.

I think it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for straight up sushi, I feel that Sushi Ko might be the better choice. I've gone to Kaz when I want to mix things up a little.

You can't go wrong with either place, I think it just depends on what you're looking for.

I think it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for straight up sushi, I feel that Sushi Ko might be the better choice. I've gone to Kaz when I want to mix things up a little.

You can't go wrong with either place, I think it just depends on what you're looking for.

Seconded. If you just want the best traditional sushi, you can't beat Sushi Ko, especially sitting in front of Koji.

But if you want to be taken outside of your sushi comfort zone, put yourself in Kaz's hands and enjoy the ride.

I'm going to see if I can make reservations at the sushi bar, if possible, in front of Koji.

Our babysitter had to back out at the last minute so we ended up sitting at the tables downstairs with our 6 month old. Maybe I caught them on an-off night, but nothing really shined...basically ordered all of the specials on their special menu. However, nothing was bad either. I thought the fish slices were tad too thin. I don't like them chunky (like TCB) but it was too thin to appreciate the texture of raw fish. I am probably spoiled by my recent meal at Soto in NYC. For any of you heading to NYC, try Soto, their sushi is sublime! They don't give you soy sauce or wasabi, the sushi chef will brush the soy on each nigiri, ready for you to just pop in your mouth with your fingers.