Murky Women Dominate Mid Atlantic Regional Barista Competiton

Treva

Congratulations to Katie Duris and Allie Turner of Arlington's Murky Coffee for placing first and second in the finals of the Mid Atlantic Regional Barista Competition in Cranberry, Pennsylvania today. Jeremy Sterner of Peregrine Espresso in Washington, DC placed third. The top six finalists included David Flynn of Peregrine Espresso, Allie Caran of Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore and Dana Waelde of Crazy Mocha in Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and Washington, DC make up the MARBC arena.

Katie will compete at the US Barista Championship in Portland, Oregon in March. The winner of that competition will represent the US at the World Barista Championship in Atlanta in April against national barista champions from more than fifty countries. The US is looking for its first World Barista Champion. Two-time US Barista Champ Heather Perry of San Dimas, California Coffee Klatch placed second in the 2007 WBC in Tokyo.

Congratulations to Nick Cho, Murky's owner, on the fine performances by Murky's women baristas.

http://marbc2009.wordpress.com/

I'm thinking DR could use a coffee category. Expand beer and wine to include all beverages? Or? Coffee is great ingredient gaining popularity with chefs everywhere. Coffee deserves a special place in DR. But where? The DC area specialty coffee and barista scene is expanding rapidly. Coffee consumers are becoming ever more savvy and discriminating when it comes to java matters. Tea too.

Congratulations to Katie Duris and Allie Turner of Arlington's Murky Coffee for placing first and second in the finals of Mid Atlantic Regional Barista Competition in Cranberry, Pennsylvania today. Jeremy Sterner of Peregrine Espresso in Washington, DC placed third. The top six finalists included David Flynn of Peregrine Espresso, Allie Caran of Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore and Dana Waelde of Crazy Mocha in Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and Washington, DC make up the MARBC arena.

Katie will compete at the US Barista Championship in Portland, Oregon in March. The winner of that competition will represent the US at the World Barista Championship in Atlanta in April against national barista champions from more than fifty countries. The US is looking for its first World Barista Champion. Two-time US Barista Champ Heather Perry of San Dimas, California Coffee Klatch placed second in the 2007 WBC in Tokyo.

Congratulations to Nick Cho, Murky's owner, on the fine performances by Murky's women baristas.

http://marbc2009.wordpress.com/

I'm thinking DR could use a coffee category. Expand beer and wine to include all beverages? Or? Coffee is great ingredient gaining popularity with chefs everywhere. Coffee deserves a special place in DR. But where? The DC area specialty coffee and barista scene is expanding rapidly. Coffee consumers are becoming ever more savvy and discriminating when it comes to java matters. Tea too.

I agree. Coffee and Tea. And maybe Cheese?

I'd say "Bread," except this town SUCKS in bread. But maybe Pastry and Baking?

I'd also love for Katie and Allie to let us know what their strengths are - maybe so we could have something we want to order before walking in the door?

I agree. Coffee and Tea. And maybe Cheese?

I'd say "Bread," except this town SUCKS in bread. But maybe Pastry and Baking?

Yes! Yes! Cheese!! Good thinking, Don. Inspired.

Bread, too. We need a place to complain. Though The Bread Ovens at Quail Creek Farm in WV make a good showing at Penn Quarter and other? Fresh Farm Markets. The Bread Ovens @ QC deserve accolades. The Ovens can dominate the new category for now, deservedly.