Davon Crest Farm Open House

Cathal Armstrong

Sunday, windy Sunday (3/5/06):

Wind is not our friend. Beau and I got to the farm as David and John were attempting to haul plastic over the house where the seeding machine will be setup. Farmer Dave needs to have the transplant houses up immediately with seedlings started (deadline 3/6). This is not an easy job when there's even the slightest breeze, let alone a stiff (and cold!) wind:

post-241-1141943556_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141943608_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141943624_thumb.jpgMore bodies needed for this task: post-241-1141943646_thumb.jpg

That 'PingPingPingPingPingPing' sound you can't hear -- that would be all of the metal clips we put down one side of the house popping out in one gust:

post-241-1141943657_thumb.jpg

So, giving up on the idea of getting that house set today, David and Beau started on the anchors for the next one: post-241-1141943672_thumb.jpg Best New Tool -- jackhammer! post-241-1141943686_thumb.jpg

All the anchors are in place post-241-1141943699_thumb.jpg and ready for the struts post-241-1141943713_thumb.jpg

Always something to do at the farm: post-241-1141943726_thumb.jpg

But there has been progress: post-241-1141943744_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141943757_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141943769_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141943783_thumb.jpg

And the saga continues. A lot more left to do to get as much done by spring as possible. This Sunday anyone? Mr. Lalasz?

post-241-1141943634_thumb.jpg

post-241-1141943798_thumb.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok. getting a bit behind in posting about the farm, partly because we've not been out there the past two weekends. HOWEVER, Beau and I will be there this Sunday, 4/9 to help with the following project:

THE PLAN: Meet David at the new farm (Trappe) and travel back to the old farm (Hurlock) driving various vehicles including a 24' truck David rented so that we can packup the lab, office and various remaining equipment to remove it from the old farm.

This project doesn't require power tools (that we know of), just the packing up of glass jars -- about 5,000 or so -- and other stuff so that they can get the last vestiges of Davoncrest I moved to Davoncrest II (and also stop paying the new landowner rent! -- he's already bulldozed the old wooden farmhouse from the site)

Any takers? Please PM if you want to help. We'll supply work gloves, food, beverages (of the non-alchoholic kind <_< ) so no need to bring anything along except clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.

Thanks in advance!

-Camille

I'm in...anyone care to join the fun? Camille-Beau make a mean lunch and I can give you a ride from Alexandria/Arlington.

(was planning to go anyway - I can't be bribed <_< )

The weather looks like it will be good and the work sounds a little less demanding than some of the previous weekends ;)

PM me if you'd like a ride...

OK, time for another trip out to the farm. As mentioned previously, the rental arrangement with the new owner (who couldn't do anything with the property anyway until he received permits) allowed the Lankfords the extra time they needed to get this stuff moved. That 'lease' expires at the end of the month (1 week left!) so everything must be off the property by then or it's gone. The extra time over the winter was a blessing since the original plan to have every house torn down at the old farm and rebuilt at the new one just didn't happen. The shoestring budget, skeleton crew, and the weather disasters that repeatedly damaged the same two houses didn't help in meeting the deadlines. So, we'll be at the old farm tomorrow, along with Ken from Restaurant Eve (Yay Ken!) to take apart the last three greenhouse frames.

Anyone else care to join? Should be a fairly decent SPRING day.

BTW, remember that thyme we moved on the first day last September? Here's how it looks today: post-241-1145744787_thumb.jpg

And the biggest greenhouse in September (photo by Crackers): post-241-1145745357_thumb.jpg

Today: post-241-1145759898_thumb.jpg

-Camille

Are crews still being organized for work? I know I'm a bit behind, but cut me some slack, I just joined.

I'm a gluton for punishment and like manual labor, which my job doesn't really allow for.

Although a large amount of work has been completed, it's a farm, therefore there's always work to do. We're thinking about another weekend toward the end of June so information should be available about that in the next week or so. I've been remiss in posting information lately but will be updating the thread to include some more photos and the status of the move. Thanks for the interest and keep an eye on the site for the dates and type of work to do (it will likely involve power tools and building more greenhouses -- the usual stuff)

-Camille

My apologies for being such a slacker with regard to updating information on the progress at the farm. HOWEVER, that is about to change since Beau and I will be out there tomorrow (not Sunday this time because of the RAMMYs!) and will update the site with new information and photos afterward. If you want to join, please PM me -- VERY SORRY FOR THE SHORT NOTICE. Although I'm not sure at this point what specific work needs to be done, it will likely be something along the lines of greenhouse construction, irrigation trenches, perhaps even some planting.

Stay tuned. . .

So, I thought it was about time to post a long-overdue update on the status of the farm, now named "Davon Crest II". David and Sharon Lankford recently hosted a tour of the new location to display their scientific methods for tracking information about the farm such as the water levels, fertilizer, temperature, humidity, etc. The irrigation process is setup with underground pipes that recyle the water used to help eliminate runoff into the Chesapeake watershed and to also take advantage of using the nutrients that would normally be washed away.

The Star Democrat (local Easton paper) was in attendance and wrote this story: Davon_Crest_II_farm_tour.pdf

The equipment is pretty cool. It includes weather stations setup in various locations around the farm with probes in the soil so that information can be checked via the internet from any location. David can even control the irrigation system remotely! Here are a few photos of the equipment and the farm:

post-241-1156869023_thumb.jpgpost-241-1156869106_thumb.jpgpost-241-1156869175_thumb.jpgTomatoes! post-241-1156869135_thumb.jpgpost-241-1156869119_thumb.jpg

and purple basil: post-241-1156869162_thumb.jpg

More later!

On behalf of David and Sharon Lankford of Davon Crest Farms, please plan to attend their upcoming open house at their farm located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The Lankfords would like the opportunity to personally thank the volunteers who contributed so much in moving the farm to the new location and to invite any new donrockwell.com members who wish to tour the farm. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHEFS, VOLUNTEER WORKERS, SUPPORTERS & FRIENDS

APPRECIATION DAY OPEN HOUSE

September 16th

9:00AM TO 6PM

With your help, we've come a long way towards rebuilding DAVON CREST II.

We have a lot farther to go, but it's time to show what we've done. Come see a work in progress and experience how your produce is grown.

With deepest gratitude for your loyalty and support while we complete our relocation.

Thank you!

David & Sharon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO work clothes (or WORK), power tools or contributions of any kind will be required and children are very welcome to attend, provided that they are supervised. Please send a message to "Camille-Beau" so that we can provide directions, carpooling options, or answer questions that you may have.

Thanks!

I spoke with Sharon Lankford today regarding Sunday's open house at the farm. Sharon said they have invited chefs & other workers from various restaurants and are expecting people to attend from a few places in Annapolis and from a new restaurant that is soon opening in Trappe. They are putting together a barbecue pit and plan to cook hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and sausages. Perhaps some grilled eggplant and squash from their greenhouses, along with tomatoes, radishes, carrots, etc. will be available. Sodas, tea & other snacks will also be provided so no need to bring anything.

Sharon and David are very excited about the open house and are looking forward to showing everyone around to see what they've accomplished, with the caveat that it's still a work-in-progress. It's not too late to join us on the Eastern Shore to see how one local farm provides an amazing array of fruits and vegetables to some of our favorite restaurants. If you're interested, please PM me and I'll send you the directions and contact info.

See you at the farm!

-Camille (Pat)

I just wanted to say thanks to David and Sharon Lankford, along with Cherish, Keith and John, for their kind hospitality yesterday! As I drove up to the farm, the scene looked like "Endless Feast" on PBS (maybe on a slightly smaller scale) - tables lined up with happy folks enjoying the beautiful day, the delicious food - much of it from the farm, and the good company.

Since it had been a while - 15 months or so (where does the time go??) since I was at Davoncrest, it was great to see all the progress that has happened over that time. The golfcart tours were a lot of fun and a good way to see what's "growing on" in the greenhouses as were actually driven through the center of them! The Basil house was fragrant and full of endless varieties of the herb. Cardoons and artichoke plants were coming back after some feasting by local deer and the rosemary was bushy and beautiful. Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants of all sizes, shapes, and colors were thriving in the field and enjoyed during the meal. The resident bald eagle that I saw last time graced us with a fly-by too :angry:

Looks like there might be some more work (plastic pulling) that will need to be done in a few weeks - anyone interested in spending a beautiful October day at the farm?

And thanks to Camille-Beau for keeping us in the loop about the "Appreciation Day"! Maybe they have some photos to share - mine aren't all that good.

Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants of all sizes, shapes, and colors were thriving in the field and enjoyed during the meal.

<snip>

Maybe they have some photos to share - mine aren't all that good.

It was a great afternoon followed by dinner at Suicide Bridge Restaurant. Sorry we missed some of the earlier farm arrivees.

The greenhouses that are in production are incredible. After touring them the pix upthread make more sense. Here's a couple pix from the field [thumbnail photo insert instructions here].

Next time you're tempted to reach for "plug" baby carrots in the grocery think of these REAL baby carrots:

post-226-1190069063_thumb.jpg

Roma Tomatoes later served with balsamic vinegar, sea salt and olive oil steeped overnight with freshly picked basil:

post-226-1190069138_thumb.jpg

Davon Crest Sun Golds - resisted picking some right then:

post-226-1190069216_thumb.jpgpost-226-1190069276_thumb.jpg

post-226-1190069383_thumb.jpg

post-226-1190070748_thumb.jpg

Has it been a year already...

It's time for the 2nd annual Davon Crest Farm Appreciation Day Open House!!

Many of you have volunteered your time in the past to help Sharon and David Lankford relocate and begin building up their farm in its new location.

Come on out on Sunday, September 21, and see what's been going on over the past year. It's a beautiful place to spend an early fall day!

The attached flyer provides the details. If you are interested in attending and need specific driving directions, please PM me.

Among other things, Sharon reports the following:

• We have (green)house #5 framed with strawberry gutters being finished (but no plastic on yet)
  • 2 other (greenhouse) frames are in progress
  • Dave's been working on the Cement Mixer soil composting-fumigating system
  • We built a mini packing area within the canvas covered frame
  • We expanded the field crops

And to give you an idea of what they're growing in those enormous greenhouses (see photos above), here's a list of some of their typical winter production:

LETTUCE, ROMAIN, CABBAGE,RAINBOW SWISS CHARD, WATERCRESS

LEEKS, BUNCHING ONION, SPRING GARLIC

TURNIPS, BEETS, RADISHES

BRUSSEL SPROUTS

SPINACH, KALE

CARROTS, FENNEL

BULL’S BLOOD BEET TOPS

HERBS & MINTS

COULD HAVE INTO DEC, -TOMATOES, WINTER SQUASH AND MORE

SPECIALTY ITEMS: MICRO GREENS, PEA SHOOTS, CORN SHOOTS, ETC… Lots of yummy, pretty things to look forward to on your plates in the local restaurants they work with throughout the year!

Davoncrest_II_Open_House.pdf

It was a beautiful day at Davon Crest and more greenhouses have sprouted in the past year, along with many more field crops. It's great to see the progress - strawberries are coming soon. Over 30 restaurants receive produce from the farm, along with subscribers to their new CSA program

There was lots of great food, including fresh from the stalk, sweet as could be corn on the cob, no cooking, butter, or salt required - yum!

Here are a few pictures:

Ribs of a new greenhouse ready to be covered; sprinklers watering seeded trays; these greenhouses are huge (that's lemongrass in the distance)

post-348-1222131851_thumb.jpgpost-348-1222132002_thumb.jpgpost-348-1222133752_thumb.jpg

Okra and okra flower; eggplant flower

post-348-1222131977_thumb.jpgpost-348-1222132185_thumb.jpg

one of the farm residents enjoying the cherry tomatoespost-348-1222132064_thumb.jpg

micro fennel; micro mizuna and arugula; Micro amaranth; French breakfast radishes

post-348-1222132107_thumb.jpgpost-348-1222132142_thumb.jpgpost-348-1222131940_thumb.jpgpost-348-1222132910_thumb.jpg

climbing tomatoes inside a greenhousepost-348-1222132234_thumb.jpg

The tourmobile, with David Lankford at the wheel; concrete mixer used to mix soil before it's placed in gutters for seeds

post-348-1222132299_thumb.jpgpost-348-1222132959_thumb.jpg

some four-legged friends visited the farm too:

post-348-1222133497_thumb.jpgpost-348-1222133526_thumb.jpg

Is there any info available about the Davon Crest CSA Program?
I've asked for more details - specifically if they will be doing drop-offs in the DC/Alexandria area. I do know that a share is $380 and will have produce for about 2 people. I'm attaching a list of planned items for the winter share, which I believe runs from December through April. More info as it is provided.

WINTERPRODUCTION_Davon_Crest.pdf