Davon Crest Farm Open House

Cathal Armstrong

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The stories of generosity I'm hearing, both in terms of time and money, are humbling. This project has actually gained momentum over the past few weeks (thanks in no small part to Camille-Beau and Stephanie Shapiro of the Baltimore Sun).

One final call for donations to the Lankford Farm (not tax-deductible, by the way, but 100% of donations go directly toward paying day-laborers $10/hour (and incidentally provides work they might not otherwise have)). Here's the PayPal information - Camille-Beau will be presenting the Lankfords a check within the next week or so. Cheers, Rocks.

I am now accepting donations for the Lankford farm through my Paypal account.  You can send the payment to membership@donrockwell.com or my new email address.  Click on the Send Funds button at the top of the screen to send money.

Please send the money as Quasi Cash. Don't forget that PayPal adds a service fee so you should add a couple of dollars to your donation to cover that fee.

In the title of the email please put Lankford Farm Donation. In the text of your email please let me know your screen name and real name so I can keep track of who the money is coming from.

Ok, the plan for Saturday is as follows:

Since it will likely be raining tomorrow, we will work on the large greenhouse at the old farm (Hurlock location -- PM if you need directions and telephone numbers) with target arrival by 10am (earlier is totally fine!) If anyone other than Babka needs transportation, please let us know.

The work (if raining) will include clearing plants from gutters, removing gutters from the wooden stands, cutting the gutters into 16' sections, removing and stacking the wooden stands on pallets. This is a continuation of the work we've been doing in the large greenhouse.

Recommended items/clothing:

Change of clothes (you'll be wet and dirty at the end of the day)

Work boots - waterproof if you have them

Work gloves (although we have PLENTY of them if you don't)

Earplugs (have those as well)

Safety goggles for anyone cutting gutters (we have about 4 pairs available)

Cordless drills (also have 3 of those)

Hammer or sledgehammer

Ratchet/socket wrenches, etc.

We have a lot of these tools already, but feel free to bring along your own if you prefer. We'll have two chop saws available (David, I have a new 14" blade sitting here on my desk!) for cutting the gutters.

Bring a sandwich if you like. We'll have everything else, including lots of bottled water and sodas.

If it isn't raining, then there may be other work at the old farm such as taking apart other greenhouse frames and removing anchor posts. The most important work to do, again if not raining, will be at the new farm near Trappe - construction of the greenhouses that are so desperately needed to protect the plants. Therefore we may start out at the old farm and travel to the new farm, weather permitting.

As many of you already know, the long driveway into the old farm is very rutted in several places, particularly when it's been raining so be careful. If you don't feel that you can get down the drive, then feel free to park out at the entrance and call me or the farm for an SUV pickup :lol: PM me if you need those contact numbers.

Can't say it often enough -- thank you all SO MUCH for generously giving up your Saturday to work at the farm (ditto on the generosity for those of you contributing financially!). Here is the tentative list of volunteers for tomorrow:

Babka

Beth Cover (and friend!)

Black Sheep

Crackers

CrescentFresh

Jacques Gastreaux

Tweaked (only coming for the hash brownies)

Please don't let the rain be a deterrent from working at the farm. It'll make for an interesting drive out to the Eastern Shore and the ground will be wet in places inside the greenhouse, but the majority of the roof is still covered in plastic (with only a few spots open to the rain) so it won't be raining on you.

Also, Sunday is another workday option so if you prefer to work that day instead, please PM me. Since the weather will be MUCH better (partly cloudy - no rain currently in the forecast) that would be the best day to get the greenhouses setup at the new farm, something that concerns David the most at this point.

See ya tomorrow!

-Pat & Barry

Edited by Camille-Beau

The gauntlet has been tossed:

Beginning at 6:01pm today through Wed., October 26 at 6pm, any donation made to hillvalley's Paypal address will be matched, DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR, by an anonymous (and very generous!!!) donor, up to a total of $500!! Please log into Paypal.com and follow Hillvalley's instructions for donating to the farm. How's that for a challenge?

The gauntlet has been tossed: 

Beginning at 6:01pm today through Wed., October 26 at 6pm, any donation made to hillvalley's Paypal address will be matched, DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR, by an anonymous (and very generous!!!) donor, up to a total of $500!!  Please log into Paypal.com and follow Hillvalley's instructions for donating to the farm.  How's that for a challenge?

That's $500 total over the course of the week, NOT $500 per donation!

Just thought I should clarify that. :lol:

Well the first greenhouse at the new farm is almost completed...most of the framing is done and Dave was hoping to have the plastic up by Monday. First frost is scheduled for Tuesday. Camille-Beau were planning on a Sunday trip so maybe they have an even more up-to-date report. Dave wants to get a second greenhouse up before the first freeze and he claims that between the 2 greenhouses he can have most of his inventory protected for the winter. I guess that is the good news. The bad news is there is still a shit load of work to be done at the old farm. :P

However we can report that the crab soup at Suicide Bridge restaurant is way excellent, especially when you follow Cracker's advice and get a shot of sherry on the side. Toss in a couple dashes of Tobasco...YUM! Soup and sitting by the roaring fireplace they had going made for a pleasent dinner after the farm...too bad they were out of Bass beer :lol:

Edited by Tweaked

Saturday was my first trip back in a few weeks and it was gratifying to see a greenhouse going up at the new farm. It was tools and hardware day on Saturday. We had a lot of power drills going (fighting over the 18v drills and doing re-charging relays.)

morepower1022050034xh.jpg

powertools2atlankfords10220500.jpg

davoncrestfarmday1022050103tw.jpg

I heard this evening that the greenhouse was 3/4 under plastic by the end of the day today. We had a tasty pot-luck lunch, with Camille-Beau outdoing herself with a wonderful chicken salad and those "special" brownies, that made the afternoon so much fun despite the brisk wind and drizzle. Thanks to hillvalley for trying to play dispatcher from afar for our game of cell phone tag

Suicide Bridge was slammed with a high school homecoming crowd, but it was nice to sit in front of a roaring fire in the upstairs lounge, downing hot cream of crab soup, oysters and cold Heinekens.

David Lankford mentioned that a writer for Gourmet magazine has also recently interviewed him for a possible article.

Edited by crackers

Mr. Lankford was kind enough to not laugh at my 6V drill, but his expression explained a lot of the troubles I'd had in building bookshelves at home.

This was my first trip out and the pictures, as beautiful as they are, don't begin to capture the beauty of his operation. I'm from Iowa, grew up across the street from a cornfield, and was under the erroneous impression that I understood farms. He's turned the whole concept on its head--it was a beautiful, humbling thing to see. The amount of work that's left to do makes my heart hurt, and mr. jacques' head-twitches at the sight of deer and the sound of powder blasts made me laugh all afternoon. Didn't get out of bed until noon today, at which time I discovered some torso muscles I didn't know existed.

Extended thanks to Camille-Beau, who brought wondrous food and organizing prowess to the trip!

Edited by babka

davoncrestfarmday1022050103tw.jpg

Now I know why my right shoulder is so sore. After driving about 250 screws all at about eye level or above...

That task would be all but impossible without power tools. And the 18v units are far preferable to their lesser ilk. Advice to anyone thinking of heading out for a day of work: bring a fully charged 18v cordless power drill with a set of hex head nut drivers, 2 batteries and a charger.

edited to add: Damn, they now have 28v units on the market.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Now I know why my right shoulder is so sore.  After driving about 250 screws all at about eye level or above...

That task would be all but impossible without power tools.  And the 18v units are far preferable to their lesser ilk.  Advice to anyone thinking of heading out for a day of work:  bring a fully charged 18v cordless power drill with a set of hex head nut drivers, 2 batteries and a charger.

There's this cool thing that can prevent rotator-cuff injuries when performing activities such as this. It's called a stool. :lol:

However we can report that the crab soup at Suicide Bridge restaurant is way excellent, especially when you follow Cracker's advice and get a shot of sherry on the side.  Toss in a couple dashes of Tobasco...YUM!  Soup and sitting by the roaring fireplace they had going made for a pleasent dinner after the farm...
Very sorry that Beau and I had to miss this (home to feed the dogs...), but thanks again you guys for coming out on such a crappy day.

Saturday, Oct 22 -- GREAT TURNOUT!!

Saturday dawned bright and sunny..... oh, wait... that was my DREAM about Saturday, not the reality. Since the weather forecast was, unfortunately, correct (rain, wind, etc.) the old farm (Hurlock), was the place to be Saturday morning.

Beau worked on gutter removal: post-241-1130224660_thumb.jpg

while Babka and Beth Cover dove headfirst into the dill gutters (along with Pete, a member of the Lankford's farm team), cleaning out the old plants & soil destined for the compost heap:

post-241-1130218551_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130218573_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130218699_thumb.jpg

Some progress made by Beau and David: post-241-1130219323_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130219503_thumb.jpg

Reinforcements arrived! Crackers, Jacques Gastreaux and Tweaked joined in the fun just as David decided the rain had ceased enough for us to work on the new greenhouse at the Trappe location. During lunch David regaled us with interesting stories about his time in Alaska while in the Air Force. Afterward, we caravaned to the new site with Beth demonstrating impressive automobile maneuvering while navigating the rugged driveway out of the farm!!

At the Trappe location, the framework was up on the first greenhouse: post-241-1130220164_thumb.jpg but still needed additional parts like support pipes in the roof and boards added to the frame for connecting the plastic sheeting. I somehow ended up with the easy (and rather fun) job of driving Chuck up and down the length of the greenhouse frame to install the support pipes: post-241-1130220230_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130221320_thumb.jpg

The rest of the team had the difficult job of accurately placing the boards on the outside of the frame. Every bracket needed to be placed in precisely the right location (and with the right power tool!):

post-241-1130221342_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130221378_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130221392_thumb.jpg

Saturday ended with the support pipes installed on one side of the roof and a row of boards along the other. Great progress towards getting the greenhouse ready for the plastic!

Sunday, Oct 23 -- what a difference 12 hours can make!

post-241-1130222004_thumb.jpgOk, so the dream was right about the weather, but for the wrong day. Sunday was beautiful - sunny, blue skies and WINDY in the morning (luckily no wind later in the day.) David and Pete started early to complete the installation of the boards along the other side of the frame. I hopped onto my now favorite farm implement, the 'trusty' John Deere, to start working with Chuck on hooking up the piping along the other side of the frame. Turned the key and.... nothing. So David to the rescue.

After some creative 'fixing' of the battery, post-241-1130222061_thumb.jpg the tractor started and the work began: post-241-1130222019_thumb.jpg

Side note: As much as I liked driving the tractor, my lack of skill was sadly evident later in the day when I hit the control lever used for raising/lowering the basket and accidently dumped poor Chuck out on the ground :lol: -- again, very sorry about that Chuck! (apology number 1,001). To his credit, he laughed and jumped right back on the tractor so we could finish the job.

Meantime, Beau and David added the metal rail to the wooden boards where the brackets would be placed to hold the plastic:

post-241-1130222096_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130222164_thumb.jpg

post-241-1130222114_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130222133_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130222147_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223304_thumb.jpg tying sections of the plastic to one end of the ropes: post-241-1130223321_thumb.jpg

that were tossed 'cowboy-style' over the top of the greenhouse, then pulling the plastic up and over the roof to the other side (who knew plastic could be so heavy!!):

post-241-1130223343_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223356_thumb.jpg

post-241-1130223371_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223385_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223398_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223432_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223446_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223483_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223500_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223539_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223558_thumb.jpg Headin' home: post-241-1130223649_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130223661_thumb.jpg

David planned to finish installing the plastic Monday just in time to protect most of the plants. Good timing, considering the weather report for this week (down in the 30's at night!). He said they'll lose the plants that won't fit in the first house, but most of them can now be saved. This was a MAJOR milestone in the project and many many thanks to everyone for your help in getting to this point! Obviously there is still a massive amount of work to do, but reaching this significant goal shows that it can be done.

Thanks for reading the post and THANKS FOR SUPPORTING THIS EFFORT!!! :D

-Camille & Beau (Pat & Barry)

post-241-1130219223_thumb.jpg

post-241-1130221489_thumb.jpg

post-241-1130223289_thumb.jpg

post-241-1130223418_thumb.jpg

post-241-1130223464_thumb.jpg

post-241-1130223518_thumb.jpg

post-241-1130223631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Camille-Beau

That's $500 total over the course of the week, NOT $500 per donation!  

Just thought I should clarify that.  :lol:

We're now rolling toward today's 6pm deadline for collecting donations that will be matched by our generous and anonymous donor. The magic number is $500 so please follow hillvalley's Paypal info to make your donation. Many thanks going out to those of you who have done so. Along with everyone who has worked at the farm, your generosity is overwhelming!

Edited by Camille-Beau

From AIWF:

HOPING TO MEET ONE OF THE AREA'S VERY BEST CHEFS? 

WANT TO GAIN A LITTLE GARDENING KNOWLEDGE?

WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN A CHILD'S LIFE ?

SPEND A COUPLE OF HOURS VOLUNTEERING FOR AIWF'S DAYS OF TASTE... 

AND YOU WILL TAKE HOME MORE THAN YOU EVER EXPECTED.... 

Volunteers are needed to assist in this month's DAYS OF TASTE activities on November 2nd at 12:30 pm. 

Celebrated Chef Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve and farmer David Lankford will join us for a lesson in cooking and growing with the 5th graders of Webb Elementary School. Farmer David Lankford, who supplies produce to some of the area's best restaurants will help the students plant the seeds for their greenhouse. And Chef Armstrong will lead the group in a cooking demonstration that highlights the best seasonal offerings. 

Volunteers are needed to assist in the days activities. Every volunteer will be able to participate in a means that they feel comfortable, from helping the Chef prep. to assisting the children in planting seeds. 

What: Days of Taste Cooking Demo & Planting, featuring Chef Cathal Armstrong of Restaurant Eve

When : Wednesday, November 2nd

1pm - 2:15pm (volunteers should arrive by 12:30pm) 

1375 Mount Olivet Rd NE

Washington, DC 20002

District of Columbia Public Schools

School Phone#: (202) 724-4543 

TO VOLUNTEER, PLEASE CONTACT HEIDI HANSON at CHEFS@WARNERHANSON.COM or call 202.255.9093. 

** We are also seeking donations of KITCHEN ITEMS, UTENSILS, MIXING BOWLS, and other "GENTLY USED" KITCHEN ITEMS for Days of Taste. 

CASH DONATIONS are also accepted. **

Contact HEIDI HANSON - 202.255.9093 for pickup.

And the hammering continues....

Beau and I will not be at the farm tomorrow (Saturday) but will venture out on Sunday, arriving by 10am. Anyone is welcome to go either day, though, so if you want to work on setting up greenhouse #2, please contact me or DonRocks for directions to the new (Trappe) farm.

Thanks!

Perfect weather on Sunday (Oct 30) at the new farm. post-241-1130824637_thumb.jpg

The remaining plastic was pulled over the roof and the doors were completed on the first 200' greenhouse, with most of the fragile plants now inside:

post-241-1130822807_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130822643_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130822655_thumb.jpg

the Thyme! post-241-1130822671_thumb.jpg micro mint for Zaytinya: post-241-1130822721_thumb.jpg

David ask that we post his heartfelt "Thank You" to everyone for all of your hard work and support in helping him get to this point in the move. Without the volunteer effort, all of the plants currently in the greenhouse would have been lost -- they were actually moved in the day of the first frost!!

There are a number of somewhat hardier plants still outside waiting for their house to be completed.

So, the work on Sunday consisted of turning this: post-241-1130822735_thumb.jpg into this: post-241-1130822782_thumb.jpg

Took a few hours for two of us to connect just 20 of the 50 total support beams for the 300' greenhouse slated for construction: post-241-1130822749_thumb.jpgpost-241-1130822768_thumb.jpg

David spent the day leveling the field for the new greenhouse: post-241-1130822795_thumb.jpg

Plastic pull next weekend perhaps???

AND -- your donations have provided funds to cover 130 hours of labor!! Many many thanks to all of you for your generosity -- 130 hours will supply a significant amount of work toward the completion of the move. You guys are awesome! :lol:

Heading home (behind David on the tractor): post-241-1130822819_thumb.jpg

'Til next week...

-Camille & Beau

post-241-1130824672_thumb.jpg

Edited by Camille-Beau

So.... Sunday, Nov. 6th at the farm -- fun with power tools:

Today's goal -- anchor the rest of the 50 struts for the 2nd greenhouse: post-241-1131512104_thumb.jpg

David and Pete (John later on) carefully moved each strut into place:

post-241-1131512114_thumb.jpgpost-241-1131512125_thumb.jpgpost-241-1131512140_thumb.jpg

while we connected the struts together: post-241-1131513196_thumb.jpgpost-241-1131513181_thumb.jpgpost-241-1131513208_thumb.jpgpost-241-1131512177_thumb.jpgpost-241-1131512189_thumb.jpgpost-241-1131512235_thumb.jpgpost-241-1131512251_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah -- found a couple of arrowheads post-241-1131512275_thumb.jpg

David's tentative plan is to complete 3 greenhouses by the end of November at the new farm, then spend December tearing down the rest of the structures at the old farm. 'Til next weekend...

-Camille

post-241-1131512153_thumb.jpg

post-241-1131512165_thumb.jpg

post-241-1131512209_thumb.jpg

post-241-1131512264_thumb.jpg

Edited by Camille-Beau

I'm planning to head out to the farm on Sunday, Nov. 13. Anyone else interested?

I could take 3 people from the Old Town area (or pick you up at King St or Braddock Road Metro). I haven't been out before, but it sounds like leaving the Alexandria area by around 8:15 am or so is required to get there by 10:00 am and get in a good day's work.

Sunday's forecast is for sunshine and a high of 67! :lol:

Happy Friday all..... Just finalizing the list for the farm this weekend. Looks like me-Beau, GoldenTicket and perhaps LoganCircle will be at the Trappe location tomorrow. If y'all care to join us, please PM and I'll send the relevant info.

Saturday's forecast: Sunny and 61!

Thanks!!

Edited by Camille-Beau

Baltimore Sun - November 5, 2005 http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/letters/bal-ed.le.05nnov05,1,5013194.story

(Link requires registration with the Sun)

Lankfords pioneer a better way to farm

I am an amateur chef and gardener who has had the good fortune to sample, in my own kitchen, most of the greens so expertly grown by David and Sharon Lankford. I can only sing the praises of such produce - fresh, colorful and exuberant in taste and "mouth feel," produce seldom seen in supermarkets, local or otherwise ("Farm aid," Oct. 17).

But the larger lesson of their experience, I believe, is the superb wisdom and farming expertise described in the article.

Living on the Eastern Shore, one sees farming operations of various kinds - corn, wheat, barley and the ever-present soybeans, as well as dairy, hog and cattle.

What the Lankfords have done is apply the sort of labor-intensive methodologies to high-end produce farming that are more commonplace in France, Italy and Japan, where open land is at a premium.

I recognize this venture as a form of sustainable agriculture that is much less harmful to the fragile environment of the Eastern Shore and Chesapeake Bay.

Unfortunately for the Lankfords, it has proved to be financially difficult to be a pioneer, especially in the arena of labor-intensive agriculture.

I congratulate the Lankfords for their innovation and grit.

And I can only hope that in the future, all our grandchildren will live in, or visit, an Eastern Shore with thousands of small, profitable, high-quality farming operations like that of the Lankfords.

John Masone

St. Michaels

Edited by Camille-Beau

My mother would FALL OUT if she knew I'd volunteered for manual labor.
PROOF!: post-241-1132110394_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132110408_thumb.jpg

Phrase least likely ever to be uttered again by LoganCircle: "The sledgehammer is over by the anvil"

Beau working on the frame: post-241-1132110576_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132110658_thumb.jpg

LoganCircle and GoldenTicket rolling out the floor (Uh LC, did we mention the black widow spiders hiding out in that??):

post-241-1132110679_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132110692_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132110706_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132112352_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132112363_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132110746_thumb.jpg

Roof or no roof, David started moving the planted gutters (remember those??!) into the house:

post-241-1132110766_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132110779_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132110794_thumb.jpg

post-241-1132110808_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132110823_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132110836_thumb.jpg

Lemon tree.... very pretty: post-241-1132112387_thumb.jpg And a familiar site to end the day: post-241-1132110858_thumb.jpg

GoldenTicket and LoganCircle, you guys rock! Thanks again for spending the day at the farm :lol:

-Camille and Beau

post-241-1132110717_thumb.jpg

post-241-1132110731_thumb.jpg

post-241-1132110849_thumb.jpg

post-241-1132111857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Camille-Beau

What DonRocks said - Camille&Beau must be accruing some serious karma for all the time and effort and organization they've put forth over the past many weeks! Not to mention providing a very tasty lunch :lol:

I thoroughly enjoyed our day on Saturday - even with the aches and pains that followed on Sunday (and Monday and....). The bald eagle watching us from above, the deer grazing at the edge of the field, that moon rising as we were winding up...

Those little moments were just icing on the cake that is the feeling that I (hopefully) contributed in some small way to helping out some very nice people who are faced with a monumental task. It was a great day - hope to repeat it again sometime soon!

Yes, it's that time of the week -- the day before the next trip out to the farm. Beau and I will be there both Saturday and Sunday (off next weekend for Thanksgiving :lol: ) So... well you all know the drill -- let me know if you're interested, etc. etc., and we'll see you there.

David wasn't able to get the plastic over the house this week due to high winds, but perhaps today or tomorrow (nice to see you at Eve last night GoldenTicket)

See you on the Eastern Shore!

First the GOOD NEWS:

Saturday 11/19 -- another gorgeous Saturday - the view while driving up the lane: post-241-1132991351_thumb.jpg

David and John covered Greenhouse Two house on Friday night, finishing up around 9pm

The house that looked like this on the 12th: post-241-1132991385_thumb.jpg now looks like this: post-241-1132991411_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132991480_thumb.jpg

The plants were in the house the entire week without the roof so they were covered to ward off the frost.

Things looking great in Greenhouse One: post-241-1132991535_thumb.jpg the lemon tree is blooming!: post-241-1132991550_thumb.jpg

(Lemons take about 18 months to mature from pollenation to harvest)

Today's task: make this: post-241-1132991596_thumb.jpg into these: post-241-1132991610_thumb.jpg for Greenhouse Three.

Ah, Power Tools!: post-241-1132991623_thumb.jpg Ciao for now: post-241-1132991633_thumb.jpg

Sunday 11/20 -- another amazing day... now that the leaves have fallen, the river behind the farm is more visible: post-241-1132991764_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132991778_thumb.jpgpost-241-1132991788_thumb.jpg Removal of impacted earth/sand/clay/rocks: post-241-1132991702_thumb.jpg Layout the foundation: post-241-1132991716_thumb.jpg and hammer into place: post-241-1132991733_thumb.jpg for as long as it takes: post-241-1132991751_thumb.jpg

And back to DC we go...

And now for the BAD NEWS:

David spent Thanksgiving day working at the old farm. You know those low temps and high winds we had here in DC? Well, drop the temp about 10 more degrees and increase the wind ferocity and that would be the Eastern Shore. The plastic on Greenhouse One was damaged by the high winds which brought in a lot of frigid air. Some of the more delicate plants in the house were lost (the basil, squash, etc.) So David is in the process of moving the surviving plants around for better protection.

-Camille

post-241-1132991687_thumb.jpg

Edited by Camille-Beau

Ok, so this doesn't really have anything to do with the farm, but this is the sunrise in DC around 6:45am on Saturday (11/26): post-241-1133074353_thumb.jpg

As for the wind damage, here are a couple of before & after shots:

Last Week................This week

post-241-1133074366_thumb.jpg post-241-1133074379_thumb.jpg

post-241-1133074393_thumb.jpg post-241-1133074409_thumb.jpg

post-241-1133074424_thumb.jpg post-241-1133074437_thumb.jpg

Plants got moved around the farm so everything is somewhat under control with the exception of the plastic for Greenhouse Two -- too much wind to do that on Saturday. Perhaps tomorrow...

-Camille

Edited by Camille-Beau

Saturday, 12/10 - Windy and freezing!

We got to the farm Saturday to see that Greenhouse #2 was not only damaged on one end from the Thanksgiving windstorm post-241-1134462420_thumb.jpg now the other end is also ripped to shreds post-241-1134462435_thumb.jpgpost-241-1134462479_thumb.jpgpost-241-1134462461_thumb.jpg is now this: post-241-1134462449_thumb.jpg

When the plastic ripped off, several of the metal strips were torn right off the screws holding them in place. One frame plank actually split in half from the pressure of the wind tearing the plastic! Today's goal was to remove the damaged plastic from one end (saving as much of it as possible for splicing onto the other end so that only one 150' sheet had to be replaced), repair any damage to the frame and add doors to each end of the house.

Cleared the snow away to access the frame post-241-1134462506_thumb.jpg so that the metal strips and plank could be repaired.

Removed the plastic from one end of the house: post-241-1134462517_thumb.jpgpost-241-1134462529_thumb.jpgpost-241-1134462540_thumb.jpgpost-241-1134462564_thumb.jpgpost-241-1134462574_thumb.jpgSunday, 12/11:[/b] Nicer, calmer day Sunday - up into the 40's! I never thought that number would seem warm.

With less wind, we pulled and spliced the salvaged plastic over one end: post-241-1134464274_thumb.jpg

New plastic was rolled out for the other end: post-241-1134464080_thumb.jpgpost-241-1134464285_thumb.jpg

and pulled over: post-241-1134464090_thumb.jpgpost-241-1134464100_thumb.jpg

We completed replacing the plastic for the entire greenhouse, but there are no photos since it was dark by the time all of the brackets to hold the plastic down were in place. No need for a photo anyway because the house now looks like it did back on November 23rd. <SIGH> But at least we're now moving in the right direction!

So, now that Greenhouse #2 is done (except for the completion of the door on either end) that leaves the framing for Greenhouse #3 up to the Maestro crew who worked at the farm on Monday.

Nick, feel free to update us on your day. Many many thanks for going back out to the farm!

post-241-1134462555_thumb.jpg

post-241-1134462865_thumb.jpg

Edited by Camille-Beau

Update from David: There were EIGHT people from Maestro out at the farm on Monday! With a team this size, one group was able to work with David to finish the door installations on greenhouse #2 while another completely framed greenhouse #3. This was a huge step forward in getting another house built and ready for the winter.

Nick, many many thanks to you and your staff for the help!!! Feel free to add any photos that were taken.

I am sitting here at 1.30am, tired but enthused, waiting for my hotdogs to heat up. Thinking.....imagining David driving home in his van...1.5 hours to go...I wait for my hotdogs. I'm f**king starving. I have cooked foie gras, wild scottish pigeon, the best of the best ingredients. But I am happy to have my hotdogs.

David brought me Crones tonight, beautiful, delicate Crones, I can't wait to work with them tomorrow....like Jingle Bells.

I have watched Camile Beau over the last couple of months in awe...I greedily want David's stuff and want to be with my kids on Sunday...the best of both worlds.

They selflessly help.

There are no words to express. It's mindless. It's too much. But they do. Over and over.

Someone on the other side criticised Margaret.....absurd!!!

I'm going to eat now.

Charity..........

"Ramblings of a tired, happy, grateful chef"

Monday, December 26: "Anise Hyssop" growing at the old farm - requested by Zaytinya for their New Year's Eve menu: post-241-1135879548_thumb.jpgpost-241-1135879561_thumb.jpg Maestro's "Nick" house at the new farm: post-241-1135879574_thumb.jpg

Back on track in greenhouse #2:

2 weeks ago: ......... and today:

post-241-1135895524_thumb.jpg......post-241-1135879599_thumb.jpgpost-241-1135879586_thumb.jpg

post-241-1135895514_thumb.jpg......post-241-1135879625_thumb.jpgpost-241-1135879611_thumb.jpg

From greenhouse 2: post-241-1135879636_thumb.jpg

Edited by Camille-Beau

The Baltimore Sun story link (requires (free) registration with the Sun): Farm Aid
Does anyone have a computer friendly copy of this article anymore? The link no longer works and I was wanting to tell Mr. Lankford's wonderful story to a friend who had just read about the program he and Cathal Armstrong did at a local elementary school. Thanks for any assistance!

So how much damage can a little wind really do?? Well, apparently more than anyone expected. Adding to the major setbacks from the windstorm on Thanksgiving Day, last week brought in such a blast of wind that, as you can see, the greenhouses not only lost their plastic but actually BUCKLED!!

post-241-1137972714_thumb.jpg

Even after another big giant leap backward, the repair of the two damaged greenhouses and the building of new ones continues. Farmer Dave and his skeleton crew continue to amaze with their determination and perserverence the likes of which are rarely seen. I for one would have given up by now so I look upon the Lankfords with even more amazement and admiration as this rebirth of Davon Crest Farms continues.

Nick and the Maestro crew plan another trip out to help on Monday, January 30 (I think that is the correct date) and the Restaurant Eve crew will likely spend an upcoming Sunday on the farm to help as well (date TBD). Beau and I will be there next weekend -- definitely on Saturday and likely Sunday as well -- so please let me know if you would like to participate in this effort. We are truly looking forward to the day when the farm is fully operational and Rocks can officially retire this thread.

All we need now are locusts....

-Camille

Edited by Camille-Beau

In keeping with the Shackleton theme... Beau and I plan to set sail across the Chesapeake in the S.S. Nissan Xterra tomorrow morning around 7:30 to Davon Crest Farms. if anyone wants to go and needs a ride please send a PM. Since we'll be spending this evening assembling the relevant tools and other provisions, we'll regretfully have to miss the Notti Bianchi happy hour so we're counting on those of you going to fill us in on the details. Someone please have the ricotta gnocchi for me :lol:

Edited by Camille-Beau

Ok, so I didn't make it to the farm last Saturday (pesky day job getting in the way) but Beau did. It's pretty amazing what just a small number of strapping young men [Farmer Dave, John, Pete - he's 77! - and Beau] can do in one day.

QUESTION: How many times can Greenhouse 1 be rebuilt?

post-241-1138855134_thumb.jpgpost-241-1138855145_thumb.jpgpost-241-1138855170_thumb.jpg

ANSWER: As many as it takes to keep it upright or until Lowe's runs out of tech screws, whichever comes first.

Last week: post-241-1138854304_thumb.jpg This week: post-241-1138855520_thumb.jpg

And the setup of additional buildings continues: post-241-1138855181_thumb.jpg post-241-1138855193_thumb.jpg

Fortunately Greenhouse 2 is working hard to keep the produce growing:

post-241-1138855206_thumb.jpgpost-241-1138855248_thumb.jpgpost-241-1138855219_thumb.jpg

Very cool cauliflower: post-241-1138855260_thumb.jpg

Another trip is planned for this weekend so just thought I'd pass along the usual invitation to join the festivities. You know the PM address...

-Camille

[since today is February 2nd, as a native of Punxsutawney, PA, it is my obligation to wish you all a very happy Groundhog Day. And no, I will not be up at 6:30 to watch the rodent see it's shadow on live TV. It's all fixed anyway :lol: ]

post-241-1138855231_thumb.jpg

post-241-1138855271_thumb.jpg

Edited by Camille-Beau

Ok, so I didn't make it to the farm last Saturday (pesky day job getting in the way) but Beau did.  It's pretty amazing what just a small numbe

Very cool cauliflower: post-241-1138855260_thumb.jpg

You guys are amazing! How warming this story still is.

I decided right now that I want that very cauliflower.

Ok sportsfans, ready for another round? We (me/Beau) will be at the new farm on Sunday. Work to be done involves setting up additional frames for new houses and, if we're very very lucky, pulling plastic over the frames already in place -- not likely to happen with this wind, but you never know. On Monday, we'll be stopping by the old farm to watch (and help perhaps?) a crew hired solely for the purpose of finally taking down the very large house. Farmer Dave estimates it will take a week to complete.

If interested in joining the party, please PM.

And on another very important note, Nick and the Maestro kitchen crew were out at the farm yet again (4th visit!!!) last Monday to work on the framing of another greenhouse. That's an unbelievable effort on their part and one that is very much appreciated. Nick would post photos, but doesn't seem to have much time available, given his day (and night) job. We definitely understand :lol: Kudos Nick -- you and your team rock!!

CALLING ALL VEGETARIANS!!!!

Here's a great way to help sustain a local DC vegetable supplier. Join the long list of Rockwellians (Rockweillers??) who have helped in the very worthy cause of saving an Eastern Shore vegetable farm.

The reason we do this:

post-241-1141421734_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421745_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421754_thumb.jpg

post-241-1141421765_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421775_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421784_thumb.jpg

post-241-1141421825_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421836_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421845_thumb.jpg

Unfinished symphony: post-241-1141421875_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421883_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421896_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421918_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421927_thumb.jpg

post-241-1141421945_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421955_thumb.jpgpost-241-1141421965_thumb.jpg

The plan for this weekend is to work on putting up frames for the transplant houses, perhaps adding plastic to existing frames if the weather cooperates. Farmer Dave grows seedlings for other farmers in preparation for their Spring plantings so he needs to get at least two houses ready asap. It should be a beautiful weekend, particularly on Sunday (3/5) which is the planned work day. We would love to see some new volunteers, particularly from the vegetarian ranks since I'm sure you'll appreciate the work that David is doing on his farm.

Please PM me for directions (or a ride) if you wish to go. We provide tools, work gloves and lunch. I swear I'll come up with something edible for any non-carnivores :lol:

Thanks!!

post-241-1141421794_thumb.jpg

post-241-1141421812_thumb.jpg

post-241-1141421857_thumb.jpg

post-241-1141421909_thumb.jpg

post-241-1141421937_thumb.jpg

post-241-1141421973_thumb.jpg