Chili Crab

My next door neighbor is the former 1st secretary of the American Embassy in Singapore. His wife is Thai and as serious of a home cook as you will find on this board. There is nowhere in the D. C. area that approaches the best of what you will find in Singapore for a variety of reasons although today many of the raw ingredients are now available here. But, I am told, the Penang in Bethesda (which is separate from the others) has several authentic dishes that remind them of the years they spent there.

If there is an authentic Chili crab (THE SAME Southeast Asian CHILI CRAB AS SERVED IN SINGAPORE) within 200 miles of here they, and I, will drive next weekend to have it.

My next door neighbor is the former 1st secretary of the American Embassy in Singapore. His wife is Thai and as serious of a home cook as you will find on this board. There is nowhere in the D. C. area that approaches the best of what you will find in Singapore for a variety of reasons although today many of the raw ingredients are now available here. But, I am told, the Penang in Bethesda (which is separate from the others) has several authentic dishes that remind them of the years they spent there.

If there is an authentic Chili crab (THE SAME Southeast Asian CHILI CRAB AS SERVED IN SINGAPORE) within 200 miles of here they, and I, will drive next weekend to have it.

But would you drive 5000 miles roundtrip for a pizza? :rolleyes:

Well -- put me down as biased -- but IMHO the best chili crab is not to be had in S'pore, but in Kuala Lumpur or to be more precise, at the port of Kelang on old Kelang road where there are numerous crab shacks serving up this messy delicacy. However, with the price of air fare and all I will say that my wife makes a decent version. The last time she made it several of the blue claws that we obtained at one of the Asian stores around here tried to make a prison break prior to them being cut up and dumped into the wok. It was a semi comical scene as we chased them as they scrabbled around on the kitchen floor.