Tommy Thai, Thai-American Fusion in Springfield Plaza in Springfield - Closed

Girlfriend and I stopped into Tommy Thai for the first time tonight. We had no expectations, and the place was mostly empty on a Saturday night. Nice decor, somewhat spartan but spare and uncluttered and clean. Too bad it was so empty, as that bodes ill in this market.

But the food was gooood! Bright, fresh and vibrant flavors, and somewhat surprising. Appetizers were the Sriracha Shrimp and the Sundried Beef. To die for. Nice and spicy on the shrimp, crunchy but moist on the beef. Moving to the standards, we had Pad Thai and Drunken Noodles. All I can say is that they compared to some of the brightest and most flavorful around the northern Virginia area, on a par with Sakoontra and Tarin Thai. I will return, and hopefully it will still be there.

Return visit with a business colleague yesterday was just as good. We both ordered off the "traditional Thai" menu -- he had Beef Noodle Soup with Meatballs and I had Kao-Kra-Prow-Gai-Sub (Thai Basil Chicken). These dishes are very spicy, but the ingredients are fresh, the preparation is flawless and the presentation is appealing. In my opinion, this place ranks pretty high on the Springfield foodie scene.

Return visit with a business colleague yesterday was just as good. We both ordered off the "traditional Thai" menu -- he had Beef Noodle Soup with Meatballs and I had Kao-Kra-Prow-Gai-Sub (Thai Basil Chicken). These dishes are very spicy, but the ingredients are fresh, the preparation is flawless and the presentation is appealing. In my opinion, this place ranks pretty high on the Springfield foodie scene.

Being high on the Springfield foodie scene is not saying much, but I will have to give it a shot. How does it compare to Thai Basil (the good years) and Bangkok 54?

Girlfriend and I stopped into Tommy Thai for the first time tonight. We had no expectations, and the place was mostly empty on a Saturday night. Nice decor, somewhat spartan but spare and uncluttered and clean. Too bad it was so empty, as that bodes ill in this market.

I'm trying to figure out exactly where this is. Could I get a hint or two? If it's reasonably close to where I work, a couple of us can add to their sales figures.

I'm trying to figure out exactly where this is. Could I get a hint or two? If it's reasonably close to where I work, a couple of us can add to their sales figures.

From the title of the thread I am guessing it is in the K-Mart plaza along with Canton Cafe.

Directly across the plaza from Canton Cafe and Trader Joe's.

As many times a week as we go to that strip mall, I don't think I've ever seen it...so now I'm going to have to look for it. There are also a number of restaurants behind that strip mall (including a Pho place that's not bad).

Three of us tried Tommy Thai on Monday. I had the Thai Pesto Seafood and the other two each had the Pad See Ew with chicken. The Thai Pesto had a decent assortment of shrimp, squid and scallops in a mildly spicy pesto sauce (marked with one star on the menu for spicyness). The most interesting part was the olives stuffed with peppers (jalapenos?). An interesting addition and one I can't recall ever having before. The Pad See Ew was served with rice in a light creamy sauce. The chicken was tender and plentiful and the dish was very nicely spiced. Lunch ran about $12 per person. The concensus was that we'd return.

Coming down Backlick and hungry last night, we opted for Tommy Thai instead of a messy kitchen. Unfortunately there is nothing good to report. We had gone when it first opened and although there was no impressive dish, we had no real complaints. The menu is fairly limited and there did not appear to be any specials offered. We ordered Larb Gai, Satay, Pad Thai, and Drunken noodles. I was undecided between the 5-spice braised pork and something spicier, and the waitress recommended the Drunken Noodles. I thnk that should have clued me in, but I agreed to it. The larb gai was not good. It seemed like it was fairly old. The chicken had a texture that was quite mushy, the citrus was not sharp or acidic, and the heat was dull. it was not distinct tiny nuggets of chcken, but more akin to wet grains served with a wedge of iceberg lettuce. The chicken for the satay was very overcooked and very dry. Lest you think what happened next skewed our opinion of the apps, I assure you it didn't. We had discussed them and come to our conclusions, we had plenty of time. We waited about 25 minutes for the entrees and when they hadn't arrived and the ice had melted in our glasses were about to inquire. That's when the waitress brought us our bill. We mentioned that we were still waiting for our entrees, and she then assured us they were coming. After 2 more repeated assurances and another 15 minutes had passed, a gentleman came over, apologized and mentioned free sticky rice and mango. But still no word on our entrees. We waited another 5 minutes, went up front and asked for the bill for our apps. They didn't charge us and we left. A mistake with the order is fine, but to repeatedly tell us the food was coming in one minute, disappearing, and taking 45 minutes after we had apps to still get us nothing, shows a bit too much of an attitude of not really caring about the customers and the dishes they turn out. Meh, can't recommend it and won't return.