CityZen Lounge - The Less-Expensive Eric Ziebold

Still open at the bar on Saturdays? I think we might pop in next Saturday. Sounds too good to pass up.

Well, we were there last night. So, yes.

Go early. We had no trouble getting seated at opening time (4 of us), but there was quite the line before we left.

It was very good - as good as ever. We did the tasting menu and wine pairing. I had a little trouble choosing food, as the 2 main course options were a fish and lamb, and I am not totally keen on either. The lamb turned out to be really good though, and the one who ate the fish also liked it a lot.

I will be dreaming about the root beer float dessert for a long time. I need a recipe! Also, that olive oil custard that was the amuse was a huge hit.

So let's see:

Amuse: Olive oil custard

First:  The pumpkin soup eaters were happy, so was the salmon person. I had the veal tongue, also very tasty indeed.

Second: Lamb t-bone with lamb loin piece, with lamb bacon (tasty!) or cod wrapped in bacon on something involving a bunch of different beans. (the husband said it was tasty.)

Dessert: Coconut something - I don't eat coconut, but the huband had this, loved it, and can't remember its name. Also, the root beer float dessert that I could eat endlessly...soooooo good.

What was really funny - it's been several years since I was there, but Sharon, who used to be behind the bar and apparently left and returned, recognized me. I know I am a bit distinctive, but wow. This woman has an astounding memory. Quite the skill really.

We are also going to hit the dining room once more before they close. I hope to be able to eat the tasting menu, although I may go for the veggie one, as I did last time, and share bites with others at the table, as I do not eat seafood and the tasting menu often has a good bit of seafood on it.

• Like 1

Sorry we couldn't make it to the main room again, but we were very pleased with our experience at the bar this Saturday! We were in line at 5:30 and so were two other couples. It fills up quickly. By the time we left there were people waiting for any available seat at the bar.

Don't know why we didn't take advantage of this deal before!

Hits were the pumpkin soup with lobster and rolled oats; crispy pork belly; and braised shoat with potato and kale. Missed one of the appetizers: salmon sashimi. Root beer float and coconut mousse for dessert. Cheese for an extra $22. They don't wheel out the cart for you to choose from but you review with the waiter what kind of cheeses you like beforehand and then they choose for you. I am sure if you are more knowledgeable than us you can pick for yourselves.

Wine pairings for $25 were a bargain.

Going to miss this place!