Johnny's Half Shell, Capitol Hill - Owners Johnny Fulchino and 2004 James Beard Award Winner Ann Cashion Now in the Original Cashion's Eat Place Space, Adams Morgan - Closed

Waitman linked to the dinner menu. When you look at Johnny's lunch menu, the higher priced items are the mains, which I assume are similar to the portions at dinner. The sandwiches are 18-19 for a whole po boy, and $9.50 for a half. The hot dog is $7.50. You could order the soup of the day for $6.50 and a Nicoise salad for $11 and get out with lunch for about $20. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

OK, so in spite of my reservations a friend and I still went there for lunch today. I thought that if I chose smartly, I might be OK.

Now at the risk of being pedantic, here is my analysis….

For 1 spinach salad, the shrimp & grits (appetizer), 1 oyster po’ boy sandwich, the chocolate angelfood cake, the chocolate peanut crunch thingy, and 2 iced teas the total was $53.86 (this is the total after tax, but before tip). That came out to 26.93 per person before tip.

That is compared to getting a choice of the following at $20.07 before tax at Charlie Palmer:

1st course

1. Potato and Leek Chowder with crisp potato croutons, chive oil

2. Brandade Stuffed Calamari salad of baby arugula and fennel, grapefruit and rosemary vinaigrette, balsamic gelee

3. CP Steak Cesar Salad hearts of baby romaine, garlic and parmesan panna cotta

2nd Course

1. Grilled Angus Strip Loin with wild mushroom risotto, caramelized root vegetables, red wine natural

2. Pan Roasted Fillet of Mahi Mahi, cannellini beans, chorizo, and puree of preserved lemon and parsley

3. Pecan Crusted Pork Loin slow braised mustard greens and puree of Hernandez sweet potatoes

Dessert

1. Chocolate and Hazelnut Pave - chocolate caramel, frozen praline custard, candied hazelnuts

2. Classic New York Style Cheesecake with citrus scented blueberry compote and crisp sugar cookie

And to top it all off the sandwich only had about 9 oysters (Now I never had a po’ boy anywhere before so I don’t know if this is a normal amount of oysters, but it seemed rather puny to me.).

Now we can split hairs about which one is actually more expensive, but believe me, psychologically I would have felt MUCH better gabout etting 3 full courses of food from Charlie Palmer than ½ a salad, a fried oyster sandwich and chocolate cake for almost the same price.

But maybe that’s just me……

I finally tried the now-not-so-new Johnny's today for lunch. The bar outside looked irresistibly inviting in this perfect weather, but was empty, which I suppose is typical for the ascetic staffer/lobbyist crowd that seems to patronize this place at lunch hour. All the better for me, as I had the attractive space and the extremely competent bartender to myself. (My martini was a perfect medium dry.)

I started off with a carefully crafted cream of cauliflower soup, which had just the right amount of cream and was delicately seasoned with lemon juice and pepper, perhaps a bit of stock as well. The preparation was rich without being pasty or overpowering the natural flavor of the vegetable.

The half-portion fried shrimp Po-Boy is ten dollars. For that you get a toasty baguette-like roll about about ten inches long filled with one leaf of Romaine, several slices of tomato, and about a half dozen shrimp. A bag of potato chips and a chive-flavored mayonnaise-like sauce are served on the side. All these ingredients were fresh, well prepared, and tasty. The dish was perfect for what it was, but it was what it was.

Let me reiterate, no where else in this city do you get a heaping plateful of spicy wood-grilled chicken wings ($3.50), a generous portion of delicate fried oysters ($4) and so many stiff drinks, all the while being entertained by pretty yellow fishies in a glowing tank. Johnny’s my friend.

Does anyone know the details of the current happy hour specials at Johnny's?

M-F 5-7:30 p.m. Just apps and salads are half price. Not sure about the bevs themselves, but they sure are cold and stiff. Very generous. August is a good time to go b/c there are less of those cuff linked, searsucker-wearing politicos.

I called and found out for you-- you owe me a beer :angry: Actually, I work over this way now and was curious to find out the story myself. 4:30-7:30, M-F, same good deal as at the old location, plus you can get it on the terrace.

August is a good time to go b/c there are less of those cuff linked, searsucker-wearing politicos.

If they're open! They'll be closed from August 19th through Labor day... I, for one, am not happy about that. August would have been the perfect time for me to partake in a happy hour/lunch at Johnny's. Can't remember if this applies to the Taqueria, too...

I called and found out for you-- you owe me a beer :angry: Actually, I work over this way now and was curious to find out the story myself. 4:30-7:30, M-F, same good deal as at the old location, plus you can get it on the terrace.
I forgot to mention-- they told me the raw bar is half-price now too!

I called and found out for you-- you owe me a beer Actually, I work over this way now and was curious to find out the story myself. 4:30-7:30, M-F, same good deal as at the old location, plus you can get it on the terrace...

I forgot to mention-- they told me the raw bar is half-price now too!

And so I do owe you a beer. Details are as advertised - 4:30-7:30, half off raw bar options (4 types of Atlantic oysters - Blue Points, Raspberry Points, a couple others & clams), $1 off beers (guiness, bass, sierra, something else) and rail drinks. They also have several appetizers available for $4-6. Grilled squid was pretty good and we got to watch our oysters shucked right in front of us.

She and Johnny close every year at this time. It's a good deal for the employees (paid vacation) and generally everyone who works there appreciates it greatly. The Taqueria will be closed as well. They'll open back up just after Labor Day.

And for those of you who have figured out the drink thing at Nacionale, make sure that you try the hibiscus stuff. It's awesome.

Few words of wisdom:

mini tuna sandwiches (before 7:30 p.m.) I don't want to disrespect them by calling them tuna burgers, but they aren't burgers, so I cannot. Ahhhh, another delicious to add to the batches of deliciousness that I return to every week at JHS.

Few words of wisdom:

mini tuna sandwiches (before 7:30 p.m.) I don't want to disrespect them by calling them tuna burgers, but they aren't burgers, so I cannot. Ahhhh, another delicious to add to the batches of deliciousness that I return to every week at JHS.

I noticed those last night for the first time, but stuck with old standbys (wings, squid, shrimp n grits). Tell us more.

Johnny's is doing half priced wine along with live jazz on Saturday nights. Good drinking possibilities here on a lovely patio. The seafood stew / bouillabaisse was very good (and would be great if the stewed flavorless veggies had been removed after having their flavor sapped into the broth - I think the fish in it is halibut, though my server could not initially and did not subsequently confirm as much). The Halibut entree, however, was a bit disappointing - its natural beauty lost in a heavy grill smoke flavor and overwhelmed by the roasted red pepper sauce - its black rice accompaniment much better. Ours was an imperfect meal, but bargain lovers, fans of al fresco dining, and anyone looking for a good meal with some live jazz should take notice of this summer special.

There was jazz last night as well, which was a pleasant complement to the meal. The restaurant was largely empty when we arrived a little before seven, filled up a little, and then was emptying out again by the time we left (8:15? 8:30?). The meal we had was good but it seemed very expensive. Service was excellent.

I had trouble deciding and ended up ordering a soup and two appetizers. I got the single crab cake and cole slaw (for $16, as opposed to the dinner portion, which is $32.50 for two crab cakes, slaw, and fries). I didn't know how hungry I was, and one crab cake was fine. It was good crab, well-prepared. I also got the charbroiled oysters with Asiago, which had lots of cheesy goodness. While I love cheese, the downside was that it masked the flavor of the oysters. There are always tradeoffs :).

The soup of the day was broccoli puree with blue cheese, which our server said had only a small amount of blue cheese. Being a blue cheese lover and broccoli liker, I ordered the soup. I did not like the way it tasted at all. I couldn't taste any blue cheese but am wondering if the interaction of the small amount of it with broccoli did something that offended my taste buds. Blech. My husband, blue cheese hater, polished off the bowl of soup and thought it tasted just fine :lol:. That was a puzzle. He also had the mixed green salad and catfish with shrimp and andouille risotto. The few bites I had of that were good. The shrimp was nice and smoky.

Overall we enjoyed our meal, but it was much more expensive than I was expecting. I had just come back on the train and didn't want to make dinner, and that sounded like a good Union Station area choice. I guess I've only been there for lunch.

Two things. One, there is no better $5 plate than the happy hour appetizer of grilled squid, with a small arugula salad and a vinaigrette dressing. The grill gives the squid a very nice smoke flavor.

Second, Starr Hill Pale Ale has taken the place of Sierra Nevada. Good stuff from Charlottesville, VA. And $5 at happy hour.

So, go get three beers and a plate of squid. Damn, a good combination.

Decided to try Johnny's this past Friday during restaurant week.

Upon arriving had a few Star Hill Pale Ales at the bar while we awaited the other half of our group of 4. The weather was nice so I was surprised to see only a handful of the out door tables full at 730. After being shown to a table, I ordered the broiled oysters with asiago which I thought was an excellent app (6 large oysters) which I followed with salmon that had a nice mustard sauce (and was perfectly done) and a side of bland zucchini. For desert I had a spice cake with plums which, while not bad, was kind of underwhelming.

All told, while it was an enjoyable meal, had it not been restaurant week, I don't feel like I would've gotten my moneys worth from the food. I think it would be a great spot to grab some food/drinks at the bar or at lunch but I don't think I'd rush back there for dinner.

No recent postings on Johnny's Half-Shell -- does anyone have any recent experiences or recommendations? We're going there tomorrow.

Thanks!!!

Great fried oysters! Definitely try to make it for happy hour (4:30-7:30, I think)-bartenders make pretty good cocktails, and the cheap apps are really good-esp. the shrimp and grits, and the chicken wings.

Great fried oysters! Definitely try to make it for happy hour (4:30-7:30, I think)-bartenders make pretty good cocktails, and the cheap apps are really good-esp. the shrimp and grits, and the chicken wings.

Thank you!

We're going for lunch, to celebrate a birthday, but I'll keep it in mind for appetizers (and recommend it to our interns, who'll like cheap good apps).

I'll second Miami Danny's thoughts. We've been twice now, and always have a good experience sitting at the bar during happy hour.

Last time, I "splurged" on the crab cake and it was very good. Love the grilled squid, fried oysters and the clam chowder was especially good.

Be careful on the "cocktails." One 8 ounce martini will get you where you're going mighty fast.

We had a lovely lunch at Johnny's Half-Shell last week. Two of us had soft-shell crab special, which was delectable -- perfectly cooked, sauteed soft-shells, in a basil and Old Bay cream sauce that was not too strong on the Old Bay (I like the sweet crab taste to sing out and not be overwhelmed). It came with moist and flavorful spoonbread full of corn kernels. One of us had a marvelous grilled halibut filet in red pepper sauce, and one of us had a crab cake which she said was just right, full of lump crab, not breading.

Desserts were good too, though the service was a little slow (we'd warned our waitress at the beginning that one of us needed to leave early, but she took a while to bring dessert menus and then take our order, and didn't bring the dessert in time and we had to ask her to go back for a to-go box). I think I had a peach pie - desserts aren't on the website and I can't remember exactly - but I know it was a fresh fruit pie and the crust was just right, and I didn't leave a bite of it.

Had sauteed softshell crabs here last night. Still a bit small, but so delicious! Looking forward to softshell season!

Doesn't Sietsema like the gumbo here? They call it filé gumbo on the menu instead of seafood gumbo, which is odd for a Louisianian like me since the seafood is the attraction and the filé is the cheapest ingredient! Quite spicy! Like our waiter said when we mopped up every last drop with bread, "Looks like that gumbo didn't stand a chance!"

Ate at Johnny's a few days ago. The soft-shells with spoonbread, which I found delectable a couple years ago, were good but not as good as before. The spoonbread was not as flavorful or as plentiful. The soft-shells were small but tasty - I don't know what made the difference, but last time I went away smacking my lips from a memorable meal and this time it was just nice. Some greens on the plate would've been good.

My husband had the trotter tots and didn't love them (a little heavy, I think). He liked his scallops but the dish was four small scallops and it was not really enough for an entree.

We did like the desserts very much -- a coconut custard pie that was not too sweet and had a full coconut flavor, and a chocolate hazelnut cheesecake that was light and silky (more like a mousse), more chocolatey than sugary, with what seemed like hazelnut brittle in the crust. That was the best thing we ate all night, and worth stopping there for dessert.

For lunch yesterday, I had an order of She-Crab soup, a whole Beef Brisket Po' Boy w/ debris gravy, and apple crisp. I thought the soup was pretty good, with nice chunks of crab. I thought the broth was a bit thin, but that could be more reflective of my personal preference than any deficiency on part of the kitchen. The Po' Boy was tasty, if a bit too salty. Also, could they spare the debris? This sandwich should never be dry, but it was for several bites. And a whole is just two sandwiches, which adds nothing, and looks rather silly when it comes to the table. Also, i'm there for a work lunch and so i look like an asshole who ordered 2 sandwiches. The apple crisp was good tho it came with the smallest allowable scoop of vanilla ice cream, such that it could be considered a scoop by the National Association of Ice Cream Scoopers. Bad joke, fine, but seriously, put some fucking ice cream in the dish, OK? 

• Like 1

Saw this article through a tweet by Barred in DC referring to a tweet by Isaac Arnsdorf:

Politico: "Johnny's Half Shell Is Moving to Adams Morgan"  From the article:

The iconic oyster bar and seafood restaurant will close on May 26 and reopen next month at 1819 Columbia Road NW, the current site of Cashion's Eat Place, owner Ann Cashion told POLITICO.

• Like 2

On May 5, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Barbara said:

The food at Cashion's was just awful. 

Agreed. It used to be SOOOOO good, but the last few times we went, too salty every time. We finally gave up, and were sorry that it had fallen so far.

I hope that there will be some not-seafood options for us non seafood folks who want to eat Ann Cashion's food again.

3 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

What about all of those Capital Hill fundraisers where Johnny's made a small fortune feeding the expense-account lobbyists? Are they all going to Adams Morgan now?

All John Oliver kidding aside, honestly I don't think Hill expense-account dining is what it used to be (like when Johnny's moved from Dupont and Charlie Palmer opened his steakhouse). Johnny's people claimed that private dining was about a third of their business - significant but didn't make up for the total lack of weekend diners. If I wanted to put together a sloppy narrative around this I guess you could say it's nice that we've becomes more of a social, neighborhood dining town and less expense account focused.

As for where Hill events will go -- more to Bistro Bis/Hotel George, Lounge 201, etc.

24 minutes ago, Kev29 said:

All John Oliver kidding aside, honestly I don't think Hill expense-account dining is what it used to be (like when Johnny's moved from Dupont and Charlie Palmer opened his steakhouse). Johnny's people claimed that private dining was about a third of their business - significant but didn't make up for the total lack of weekend diners. If I wanted to put together a sloppy narrative around this I guess you could say it's nice that we've becomes more of a social, neighborhood dining town and less expense account focused.

As for where Hill events will go -- more to Bistro Bis/Hotel George, Lounge 201, etc.

I don't think Hill expense-account dining is what it used to be

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  but there sure is a hell of a lot of it:   Per this 2013 study representing a five year history:  The 10 most popular venues averaged over 1000 fundraisers per year, mostly all close to Congress.  

I have to paraphrase this comment from 15-20 years ago from a friend of mine, a former lobbyist, politically active person:  Something like this:  "Members of Congress spend most of their work hours attending fundraisers in the evening, and a few hours each day pursuing legislation, most of which, they know very little about the details, as their staff takes responsibility for that".  

On the catering side, (because the bar school staffs so many caterers) there are certain caterers wherein fundraisers are their business raison d'etre and responsible for the majority of their cash flow.

• Like 1

A brief postscript: the weather being sunny yesterday for the first day in a while, swung by Johnny's patio for its last day at this location (it's two blocks from my office). Perhaps shouldn't have been surprised it was populated by a couple small group happy hours (office groups, not fundraisers) and only a smattering of actual diners. The dining room was effectively empty, but the patio was moderately full. We took the occasion to enjoy the weather at one of the couches in the rear patio, and people-watched the cable news personalities walk out of the adjacent office building where many of the studios are.

We realized we didn't take advantage of this patio enough, just as a pure proximity play. The food isn't crave worthy and the drinks are weak, but the service was adequate and the homemade oyster crackers were a nice touch.

Unfortunately great food options are scarce on the Hill proper (esp. the Senate side) so maybe this is an opportunity for something better to move in, but it's a pretty big space so I'm guessing only a [mini-]chain would have that kind of capital.

[N.B.: As a Congressional staffer, I could definitely engage with @Kibbee Nayee's and @DaveO's comments above, but I'll refrain for now ;)]

• Like 3

The last time I was in Johnny's Half-Shell was the last night they were opened on 19th Street, NW.  Please tell me they're back there (or close).  I never went to the Capitol Hill location because I never felt that any place other than 19th Street could ever duplicate the atmosphere of the original. 

The last time I was in Johnny's Half-Shell was the last night they were opened on 19th Street, NW.  Please tell me they're back there (or close).  I never went to the Capitol Hill location because I never felt that any place other than 19th Street could ever duplicate the atmosphere of the original. 

The atmosphere feels *just* like a modernized Cashion's Eat Place.

I've eaten at the Adams Morgan location twice now and really enjoyed it both times.  I think the first time was only a couple of days after your review, Don, and they no longer had the Garnaxta Blanca on the menu.  But I had something else, which was lovely (forgive my lack of recall -- I'm not good at reviewing my meals in detail).  The lobster roll slider and the crab imperial were delicious and high-quality; the wings and radishes were good; the gumbo was tasty but lacking a bit in depth of flavor.  On my second visit I took a chance on the chicken braised in late summer green chiles, because I'm a sucker for dishes that overtly acknowledge their seasonality (and things that are braised!  and green chiles!), and it was superb.  It know ordering chicken at a seafood place is zigging rather than zagging, but I'd order it again in a heartbeat.  Lovely flavor, lovely heat, and the chicken was more than just a sauce delivery device (but the sauce was phenomenal as well).  For "dessert" on my second visit I opted for a half-dozen oysters, and it was a great decision; they were quite delicious.

On the whole, I'm really happy to have this in my general neighborhood.  The bar is long and excellent (and the bar staff quite personable), and it feels much less stuffy to me than Cashion's did.  I tried Pop's Raw Bar once and never went back, because it was predominantly about fried food and I don't love fried food, but Johnny's menu is varied and interesting and I will certainly return.

I was sad to see Johnny's Half Shell leave Capitol Hill because I quite liked the little carry out place they had and once every now and then I would indulge in a spicy pasta dish with fried chicken.  It isn't the kind of thing that will appear on the menu in the dining room so I'm just going to have to kick myself for not going back one last time before it closed.  

I don't eat seafood, but the husband and the friends do. And I love Ann Cashion's cooking. So, we went last night, and sat at the bar for dinner for the first time since they were on P Street. T had crab cake, L had halibut, and I had the poulet. And it was delicious. And the drinks were delicious (they started with manhattans, and I had a champagne cocktail.) Oh, and for apps we had the trotter tots and mussles.

The bottle of vouvray was delicious. 

The desserts were also fabulous (one cheese plate, one roasted pear, and dang, I have forgotten what T ate, but it was good too.....)

The service was also very good, from the pleasant greeting, to the help finding bar seats, and the lovely bartenders who made good drinks, noticed every time we needed something, and were simply efficient, pleasant, and professional, without ever being obtrusive. 

We'll be back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

For the love of God, *Ann Cashion* is back in Adams Morgan, and nobody is talking about it.

Has restaurant writing (not here, but in general) devolved to the point where the only things that matter are the new and the hyped?

Tom Sietsema wrote about it in his fall dining guide a few months ago, and did a full review about a year before that.

45 minutes ago, mtureck said:

Tom Sietsema wrote about it in his fall dining guide a few months ago, and did a full review about a year before that.

Good! Hopefully he mentions her in his chats, too. There are certain names that get thrown in my face almost *daily*, and they aren't as talented as Ann.

Oof, I just read the blurb - if that's all she's getting, there needs to be more: Let me at least throw this back on the table.