Dining at Eden Center (1984-)

A few DR members did this a few years ago, without the $10 limit, but I don't think we spent a whole lot.  I forget exactly what stores we visited, but we got some fried tofu from one place, spring rolls from another, bahn mi, kind of a whatever looked good experience.  I will try think of some specifics, I need to pull up a map of the place to try to place a few stores.

• Like 1

i really like the tofu from thann son, and get some to munch on while browsing and more to take home and cook with. they often have special items like spring rolls near the register and those are usually quite good. i wish i knew the name but there's a great boba/iced coffee place on the side of the mall perpendicular to Thanh Son (if you're facing Thanh son, it's on your left. i wish i could remember the name, but maybe someone else does). you can enter it from either inside the mall area, or from the parking lot (taking a few steps down). i love their iced coffee-so rich and sweet with both boba and little coffee jellies and i recently had a papaya drink there that was fantastic-clearly made with fresh papaya.  

• Like 1

i really like the tofu from thann son, and get some to munch on while browsing and more to take home and cook with. they often have special items like spring rolls near the register and those are usually quite good. i wish i knew the name but there's a great boba/iced coffee place on the side of the mall perpendicular to Thanh Son (if you're facing Thanh son, it's on your left. i wish i could remember the name, but maybe someone else does). you can enter it from either inside the mall area, or from the parking lot (taking a few steps down). i love their iced coffee-so rich and sweet with both boba and little coffee jellies and i recently had a papaya drink there that was fantastic-clearly made with fresh papaya.  

The place you are referring to is my go to spot for steamed and roasted pork buns. They are amazing (and 6 for the price of 5....they get me every time) and the woman who runs the store is extremely friendly.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2016 at 11:41 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

In Saigon East, there's a new Thai street food shop.  I didn't see a menu, but their board special included floating market noodle soup.  They were all speaking in English and young.

Eden Center is due for a new overview - since you went on your rampage a few years ago, it has changed considerably. Unlike the other shopping centers I've examined, this will take some doing! It's having a renaissance, that's for sure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, funkyfood said:

If I go tonight, what are the places i shouldn't miss?  

Get some of both the mushroom and lemongrass tofu from Thanh Son Tofu, some various jerky and dried fruits from Phu Quy, the best Bánh Mì in the DC area at Bánh Ta (*if* it's reopen; I think it's still closed for the summer), and for a sit-down dinner, Rice Paper. The first three are essentially carryout-only; the last is for a sit-down meal - take note of this adventurous entree.

• Like 1

I know I should just get over it, but I'm still really disappointed that Little Viet Garden never brought back the incredible banh mi that they sold at their bakery before renovating. When they first reopened, they would always tell me banh mi were coming back soon. After two years it appears they are gone for good. They were a completely different animal from the other banh mi sold in eden center, in terms of quality of ingredients, freshness, etc.  I'll get over it eventually.

3 hours ago, Nervous Eater said:

I know I should just get over it, but I'm still really disappointed that Little Viet Garden never brought back the incredible banh mi that they sold at their bakery before renovating. When they first reopened, they would always tell me banh mi were coming back soon. After two years it appears they are gone for good. They were a completely different animal from the other banh mi sold in eden center, in terms of quality of ingredients, freshness, etc.  I'll get over it eventually.

You're talking about what used to be named Banh Ta, which was *by far* the best Banh Mi I've ever eaten - how is this place now? Is it under new ownership? If so, that could be an explanation.

I can't believe that in *Eden Center* of all places, Banh Mi that was also Great Cuisine couldn't survive - funny, I was at Rice Paper not too long ago, and should have noticed, but completely forgot.

Long, long ago - and I mean in the 1990s - there was an obscure bar in Eden Center that had better cuisine than Rice Paper does now. I can't remember the name of it, but they had the only truly good Hen Xuc Banh Trang I've ever eaten.

• Like 1

I think Little Viet Garden has been replaced with Cajun pho or some such combo. I went today. The menu has 3 pho, 4 rice dishes and boiled seafood. I am told the oysters today were bland. I can attest that my crawfish were tough but tasty. Various broths and sauces were wonderful and the beef pho was good enough. It's an odd combo though. My shrimp skewers came with what I think was remoulade sauce. Not sure how I feel about this place. I did eat everything if actions speak.

And a Korean barbecue is coming to the Eden Kitchen space, which is also closed. 

Edited by NolaCaine
spell correct
  • Sad 1

On 9/21/2018 at 1:01 AM, DonRocks said:

Long, long ago - and I mean in the 1990s - there was an obscure bar in Eden Center that had better cuisine than Rice Paper does now. I can't remember the name of it, but they had the only truly good Hen Xuc Banh Trang I've ever eaten.

The name is wrong. It should be Hen Xuc Banh Da. Banh Trang is just rice paper more likely the common thin one used for spring rolls. Banh Da ia a specific thicker rice paper with sesame seeds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Little Sheep is pretty good for hot pot.  I don't think the Thai place is anything special - but they do some authentic street food (if you don't have access to authentic Thai food, then you might as well go to Khao Sarn).  If you can get a table at Rice Paper, I'd go there for cooked dishes.  Any of the old school joints in Eden is generally pretty good.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

However, I don't agree that the duck at Cho Eden is "Vietnamese roast duck."  It's a standard Cantonese roast duck.  They also make other Cantonese "BBQ."

Yeah, I was wondering about the duck description myself.  Hmmmm.

I'm interested in trying this twice-cooked chicken that Carman raves about.  Wondering if it is the same as my beloved Cantonese fried chicken (炸子鸡).

Com ga chien gion at Pho VA (6765 Wilson Blvd., 703-944-7373, pho-va.business.site😞 five-spice chicken ($12), a double-cooked bird that holds its own on the menu. Poached with aromatics, then fried, this turmeric-tinted bird can be eaten straight off the bone.

I have been wanting to go to Truong Tien since getting a tip from a friend of my SIL that it was serving some really solid Hue cuisine. @MichaelBDC and I headed out there this rainy Saturday and had a great feast. We started with orders of the banh bot lot la (tapioca dumpling w/ pork and shrimp wrapped in banana leaves), banh cuon thit heo mam nem (steam pork rolls with fish sauce), and vegeterian banh beo (steamed riced cake). The banh beo was the clear winner here and if we didn't order so much food we would have gotten more. The banh bot lot la was also super good but @MichaelBDC couldn't have any because he is allergic to shellfish and I only ended up eating one, saving the rest for leftovers tonight. The banh cuong thit heo was good but nothing special. 

For the main event, @MichaelBDC ordered the bun bo hue and I had the banh canh cha ca. @MichaelBDC really loved the BBH. I had a sip of the broth and thought it was good, but prefer a more aggressive broth so didn't think it was the best I've had. I haven't had banh canh in over a decade and really really really loved my bowl. The two soups really hit the spot in the rainy weather. 

A few service notes...get there early on weekends if you can. Although the place only recently opened over the summer, word has gotten out and it is very popular. We arrived around 11am and got one of the last four tops (About six or seven total). There was also one big center table for large parties that was occupied and a circular 6 top that was kept empty for another large party. Twenty minutes later and there was a line at the door with people willing those of us inside to hurry up and finish. At first they told us they didn't have anything available from the vegetarian menu but then later came back and said they had the vegeterian banh beo, so we added that to our order. Not sure what the hold up was, but it would have been nice to get more vegetarian options so @MichaelBDC could partake in more apps. Finally, they don't have any drinks other than hot tea or water. No Vietnamese coffee or other drinks sadly. Hopefully they will add it soon.

image.jpeg.5a5beae7aa6934a6796f4563b672778f.jpeg     image.jpeg.ce2856a891771c199a0905ff2df1c17d.jpeg     image.jpeg.a76b074cfb90c561dc55fbf875d5da23.jpeg     image.jpeg.ac7b806b1fc5b1f9d807fb9fc2fac3b7.jpeg    image.jpeg.f239a6f6e327882f1988784ac492b62e.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I went to Truong Tien awhile back.  Knew nothing about it except that it was new, having replaced a Bolivian restaurant that replaced a long time Cantonese restaurant.  

I tried the Banh Khoai, which looks like banh xeo.  They did make it very to easy to eat by wrapping it in lettuce and putting it on a taco stand.  It was pretty good.

I also had some banh beo with shrimp that were delicious.  

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-26 at 17.49.48_3b1736ed.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1