2009 dr.com Spring Picnic

legant

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Change me to a +2. Also, put us in the sides/salad category: fennel and prosciutto salad. And we'll probably bring something else, TBD.

goldenticket: When you're depending on folks to pick you up from the subway, you gotta roll on their schedule. Save me a rib.

I am rethinking what I am bringing. 1) paper products, cups, ice, cooler, plates, knifes, forks, spoons, paper towels, etc. 2) some sodas in a large cooler, 3) some food thing TBD.
Wait. A. Minute.

What happened to the pork butt? And the veggie torte? And the deviled eggs?

Scott... sigh... at least do the pork butt. Please.

Wait. A. Minute.

What happened to the pork butt? And the veggie torte? And the deviled eggs?

Scott... sigh... at least do the pork butt. Please.

There were two pork butts on the list, Scott and Thistle, depending on smoker status. So, Thistle, is your smoker working?

Here's the latest list of who's planning to be there on Sunday. If you haven't signed up, it's not too late - don't be shy! Send a PM or post on the thread - or just show up.

Picnic gets started about noon on Sunday, June 7, and will be held at Fort Hunt Park, picnic area C-2. Directions are on the website, but it's about 6 miles south of Alexandria on the George Washington Parkway. If you're in need of a ride or a Metro pick-up, post in the thread - we're usually able to get something arranged.

DanielK +1 +2 kids - Water, soccer ball/goals

ScottJohnston – Paper products, ice/sodas, food item TBD

Cucas87

Heather – potato salad and brownies

Legant +2 – fennel and prosciutto salad

Thistle 3 – Camp Chef Stove, table, canopy, maybe smoked pork butt, Vietnamese chicken salad

Ol_ironstomach +1

Nashman1975 – sweet potato salad and fudgeful peanut butter bars

Goldenticket +1

Anna Blume – Green vegetable dish

Waitman – braised jowl with lentils

Antonio Burrell - Fried Chicken

StephenB - Deviled Eggs w/Caviar

Lackadaisi, JLock + 1/2 - Orzo and chickpea salad

Halloween

AGM and NotQuickDraw

KMango +1 – (probably) vegetarian item(s)

Pat +1 – Causa (Peruvian cold mashed potatoes) and bread

Hm212 – berry dish

Grover – Bon Chon and Cheogadjib chicken

Walrus and Tripewriter - Plates, cups, utensils; cheese

TheMatt – veggie dish or dessert

Xochitl10 – Japanese food

Xcanuck – pate de campagne, bacon and onion tart

Jparrott – ham

MelGold – dessert

V.H. – dessert

Skipper10 +1

Hillvalley (?) – paper products

Kibbee Nayee +1 – kibbee

NCPinDC – veggies and dip (maybe gazpacho)

Sphere777 – beer

Ilaine +1

Storage Lady +1 – side dish

stickmoon/EvilKim – orzo salad

Catharine (+1?) – Veg. side dish

SeanMike - wings

Jacques Gastreaux - smoked pork butt, roasted potato salad, Martian Pigslop from Hell

Crackers - three-cheese-bacon-mac-n-cheese, potent libation tbd.

And here's the food list - if you are listed as TBD and have made a decision on a specific item, or if I missed your post, let me know and I'll get the list updated.

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Deviled Eggs - ScottJohnston

Deviled Eggs w/caviar – StephenB

Bacon onion tart – Xcanuck

Pate de campagne – Xcanuck

Cheese – Walrus & Tripewriter

Wings - SeanMike

Bread - Pat, Skipper10

Veggies and Dip - NCPinDC

Sides/Salads

Sweet potato salad - Nashman1975

Causa (Peruvian potato salad) - Pat

Potato salad - Heather

TBD – StorageLady

Fennel & prosciutto salad – Legant

Orzo & chickpea salad - Lackadaisi

Roasted Potato Salad - Jacques Gastreaux

3 cheese bacon mac-n-cheese - Crackers

Main course

1. meat/fish

Fried Chicken – Antonio Burrell

Bon Chon and Cheogadjib chicken – Grover

Smoked pork butt – Thistle (?), Jacques Gastreaux

Vietnamese chicken salad – Thistle

Ham – Jparrott

Kibbee – Kibbee Nayee

Braised jowl with lentils - Waitman

2. vegetarian/vegan

Green Vegetable Dish – Anna Blume

Vegan dish (kale ceviche?) – Kmango

Orzo salad – stickmoon/EvilKim

TBD - Catharine

Desserts/sweets

Fudgeful peanut butter bars - Nashman1975

Brownies – Heather

TBD – MelGold

TBD – V.H.

Beverages

Water – DanielK

Water/lemonade – Anna Blume

Beer – sphere777

Soda – Scott Johnston

Martian Pigslop from Hell - Jacques Gastreaux

Potent Libation - Crackers

Misc.

Soccer goals and balls - DanielK

Paper Products – Scott Johnston, Hillvalley

Camp Chef Stove, table, canopy – thistle

Plates, cups, Silverware –Walrus/Tripewriter

Ice - Heather

For newbies, wine for the picnic is loosely organized as a "Cellar Cull Share." Bring what you want (in addition to whatever food/paper products/water/etc you are bringing). We'll have a table in one corner devoted to bevvies. It's fine to bring potentially dodgy bottles, but also try to bring stuff you want to share if you're going to stray into the very dodgy. Without my partner-in-crime JPW, I'll be on the hook for corked/not-corked decisions and dumping, I suppose.

And here's the food list - if you are listed as TBD and have made a decision on a specific item, or if I missed your post, let me know and I'll get the list updated.

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Deviled Eggs - ScottJohnston

Deviled Eggs w/caviar – StephenB

Bacon onion tart – Xcanuck

Pate de campagne – Xcanuck

Cheese – Walrus & Tripewriter

Wings - SeanMike

Sides/Salads

Sweet potato salad - Nashman1975

Potato salad - Heather

TBD – StorageLady

Fennel & prosciutto salad – Legant

Orzo & chickpea salad - Lackadaisi

Main course

1. meat/fish

Fried Chicken – Antonio Burrell

Bon Chon and Cheogadjib chicken – Grover

Smoked pork butt – Thistle (?)

Vietnamese chicken salad – Thistle

Ham – Jparrott

Kibbee – Kibbee Nayee

Braised jowl with lentils - Waitman

2. vegetarian/vegan

Vegan dish (kale ceviche?) – Kmango

Orzo salad – stickmoon/EvilKim

TBD - Catharine

Desserts/sweets

Fudgeful peanut butter bars - Nashman1975

Brownies – Heather

TBD – MelGold

TBD – V.H.

Beverages

Water – DanielK

Water/lemonade – Anna Blume

Beer – sphere777

Soda – Scott Johnston

Misc.

Soccer goals and balls - DanielK

Paper Products – Scott Johnston, Hillvalley

Camp Chef Stove, table, canopy – thistle

Plates, cups, Silverware –Walrus/Tripewriter

Ice - Heather

We 'll bring lots of home baked sourdough bread.

I seem to have dropped off the list at some point. I'm bringing Peruvian cold mashed potatoes and bread.

Do we have a deep fryer for Chicken? I was thinking of a turkey fryer. Does anyone have one I can borrow? I can supply the oil and the propane

I'm bringing my turkey fryer stand/burner and a full tank of propane. Antonio said he's good on the pot and oil.

Special invite to anyone who has never been to the picnic before.

Sometimes these threads can be intimidating. If you want to come, but maybe afraid to post, please feel free to PM the organizers (me for example) or just show up, we really are a great bunch and the food is generally pretty tasty. Don't cook? grad some twinkees or what ever you want and just come out!

I'm still planning on bringing pulled pork, chicken salad, & the Campchef stove for anyone who wants to cook onsite. I can bring a grill box (which covers 2 burners & leaves 1 free) &/or the griddle (which covers all 3 burners). We'll bring the pop-up, tables, a big cooler w/ water, & some beer (also odds & ends-plastic tablecloths, napkins, extra plates).

As a longtime DR member who doesn't make it to alot of other gatherings, this is an occasion not to be missed. Great food & great company, even if you don't know anyone, you won't feel out of place...

At this point, it looks like we will be in town this Sunday, so after missing two picnics, I'm looking forward to this one. I don't know what I'm bringing yet - it will probably depend on what looks good at the market on Saturday.

2. vegetarian/vegan

FTR: My green vegetable dish will not necessarily be vegetarian. Possibly will make vignarola which includes a little pancetta...
At this point, it looks like we will be in town this Sunday, so after missing two picnics, I'm looking forward to this one. I don't know what I'm bringing yet - it will probably depend on what looks good at the market on Saturday.
...but some, certainly can be made without animal products.

NQD and I are possibly +2. We're bringing a burner and propane, as mentioned above. Also, to me, fried chicken calls out for mac & cheese on the side, so we'll be bringing some of that, too. Sorry, it's not vegetarian; there will be bacon involved.

FTR: My green vegetable dish will not necessarily be vegetarian. Possibly will make vignarola which includes a little pancetta...

...but some, certainly can be made without animal products.

Looking at the list, there's quite a bit of vegetarian food under other categories. I can probably do something vegan if there's a need.

NQD and I are possibly +2. We're bringing a burner and propane, as mentioned above. Also, to me, fried chicken calls out for mac & cheese on the side, so we'll be bringing some of that, too. Sorry, it's not vegetarian; there will be bacon involved.

Ooops, sorry, I didn't see that Crackers is already bringing mac & cheese w/bacon. I'll come up with another idea.

Ooops, sorry, I didn't see that Crackers is already bringing mac & cheese w/bacon. I'll come up with another idea.

Noooo! :D AGM: There can never be too much mac & cheese w/ bacon. Never. If there is, I'll be glad to take some home.

Change my numbers to a +3; will also be bringing bread pudding and a slaw.

Weather forecast for Sunday: High of 82 with a 10% chance of precipitation. Yay!

Is anyone coming who is a vegan or vegetarian? Please chime in and we will ask participants to label their contributions as they come in. Once again we are a friendly group, but past performance shows that we have lots of meat lovers as well as those who who eat on the green side of street.

edit, really you do not need to identify yourself. I find it a nice challenge to provide food that everyone can eat. I was a vegan for well over a year and understand the frustrations involved.

Is anyone coming who is a vegan or vegetarian? Please chime in and we will ask participants to label their contributions as they come in. Once again we are a friendly group, but past performance shows that we have lots of meat lovers as well as those who who eat on the green side of street.
There will be labels and markers available. We do ask that you identify your dish - so we know what deliciousness we're enjoying. Also, please specify any ingredients that might be an issue for others for dietary, religious, or other reasons. Nuts, soy, pork (or other meat) are usually things that people like to know about. If you do have restrictions, plan to bring a dish that you know you can eat - with so much food, there should be others, but that way you're covered.

Thanks - see you all there!

edit, really you do not need to identify yourself. I find it a nice challenge to provide food that everyone can eat. I was a vegan for well over a year and understand the frustrations involved.

I'll confess :D . Although I think it's much easier being a vegetarian today than it used to be. Mr. lperry, however, will eat anything. :blink:

It's pretty easy to get there, but just for the fun of it, what would one enter in one's GPS?
Well, on Google Maps, "Fort Hunt Park, Alexandria, VA 22308" actually puts a pointer right near the picnic area.

The latitude-longitude is 38.714258,-77.053806 in case your GPS doesn't have Ft Hunt Park in its database (which would be odd). (That link is actually pointing at a parking area near the picnic area, I think.)

I have a sprained ankle, and won't be standing up to cook. Please switch my contribution to baguettes, cheese, and salad. And ice.
Sorry about your ankle :D. I've had an elbow giving me trouble for a while, and I had no idea how much I needed it for seemingly unrelated things until it stopped cooperating.

My +1 is a veggie. And lately I've been playing around with Mark Bittman's VB6 (vegan before 6pm) thing, but I've adapted it to my own needs.

VB6EAP: vegan before 6pm except at picnics.

Special invite to anyone who has never been to the picnic before.

Sometimes these threads can be intimidating. If you want to come, but maybe afraid to post, please feel free to PM the organizers (me for example) or just show up, we really are a great bunch and the food is generally pretty tasty. Don't cook? grad some twinkees or what ever you want and just come out!

I'll second this and add that one year someone brought Ruffles and chip dip, and they were a HUGE hit! Nom nom!

Really bummed that I won't be able to make it. :D HillValley told me about it and I was planning on coming but no car + a bunch of other stuff coming up means I'll have to miss it this time around.

But I hope to make it to the next picnic (since I've never been and the menu already sounds delicious). Do you hold one in the Fall as well?

Well I'm a relative newbie to the group, and just seeing this now, so being totally intimidated and unable to plan, chances aren't good for me. :D Actually, I'd like to see if I can adjust my schedule to make it, but sadly don't think I'll have time to make anything extravagant. I'm gone all day Saturday at the Food & Wine festival at the National Harbor (anyone going?). Will see what I can whip up on the fly, or maybe just bring loads of alcohol?

Quick question - does anyone bring their dog(s)? I see they're allowed in the park and wondered if anyone would mind if I brought my male (he's friendly and will be kept on lead and away from the food).