Wine Service

porcupine

When paying ~$70 for a wine pairing to accompany a tasting menu at one of the top 5-10 restaurants in town, is it reasonable to expect the sommelier or at least someone else who is well-versed in the wines being poured and can tell you more than "this bordeaux is very good" or "this is a riesling from germany" to be involved in presenting it to you? And if so, what do you do about finding that you aren't getting what you expected when no one other than the nonwine expert servers asks you how everything is? The wines, by the way, met my expectations and were well-paired, but if I pony out that kind of cash, I am expecting an experience and a little knowledge as well as that is more than half the attraction of a wine pairing for me. And, the sommelier was there the whole time, just not paying any attention to us.

Where did this happen? Details? Did they really say "this Reisling is from Germany?" At least they didn't say "This Bordeaux is from France."

I'm not thinking that the sommelier is obligated to show up to every table for every pour, though depending on the size of place the and the number of winos it might be possible. Was s/he standing around shooting the breeze or busy with other tables? Also, there's nothing more annoying (to me) than having a plate sitting on the table getting cold while you wait for someone/anyone to pour your dang wine. Certainly I'd rather have even the most ignorant busser pour my wine on time than have to wait five minutes while the sauce congeals becayse the world's most eloquent and experienced sommelier had to go to the cellar for a something.

A couple sommes I've known, knowing that I had an interest, would drop by even if they hadn't made the pour and give a little speil.

On the other hand, you'd think that waiters would have been specially lectured on the wines and able to add significant depth to the experience. I mean, I would find it tiresome to have a detailed colloquy with the server at each course, but a few highlights always helps. A sentence each, maybe about the taste/nose, grower, grape and style that any server could know. Also, they should have tasted it.

Finally I think many servers are just as happy to turn wine service over to the somme because it saves them time, so an indirect "tell me more, please" or a direct "can you sand the somme over?" probably works. Or just catch his or her eye and give him or her the old "what can you tell me about this Barbaresco?" rap. Showing you have an interest puts you on the radar.

Not that it should be your job, but subtly giving the team the heads (bottoms?) up is usually a good idea.

Where did this happen? Details? Did they really say "this Reisling is from Germany?" At least they didn't say "This Bordeaux is from France."

I'm not thinking that the sommelier is obligated to show up to every table for every pour, though depending on the size of place the and the number of winos it might be possible. Was s/he standing around shooting the breeze or busy with other tables? Also, there's nothing more annoying (to me) than having a plate sitting on the table getting cold while you wait for someone/anyone to pour your dang wine. Certainly I'd rather have even the most ignorant busser pour my wine on time than have to wait five minutes while the sauce congeals becayse the world's most eloquent and experienced sommelier had to go to the cellar for a something.

Given that I didn't express my displeasure to the restaurant, I'd rather not indict them publicly here. That really is what happened though.

Our server was diligent and timely with his pours and everything else. The somm was there, shooting the breeze, seemed to only focus attention on 2-3 tables in an otherwise full restaurant. I guess that was a part of the problem, if the somm is there and is able to gush over a few tables for the entire night, devoting zero attention to a table that has put itself in your hands with a decent budget for pairings is not going to come across well.

In general, whether I bring wine or not, I prefer the bottle to be left at the table. I prefer to at least have the option to pour my own wine if I so choose. If the bottle is taken to a different location (and really....why?), this makes it impossible for me to do so and generally reduces my enjoyment of the meal.

What Pool Boy said is what most of us do.  When the wine is first poured, I inform the server that I will be doing the pouring from then on and to leave the bottle on the table.  I have never had any issue raised with me doing so.

While I may pour my wine once opened, I'm very comfortable and prefer when my server does it.  Service, which I top on, generally includes opening and pouring the wine.  It may include chilling and decanting as well.  Given the height of good stemware. the server has an easier job pouring standing up then i might seated.

Keep in mind that at many restaurants servers are specifically instructed to make sure that it is they who pour the wine and can potentially get in trouble if a manager sees a guest pouring their own wine. Also, there is a large group out their that is easily discontented if they are reduced to pouring their wine. At any rate, in most cases if you express your preference in the beginning chances are the staff will respond accordingly.

• Like 1