The Inn At Little Washington - With 2001 National James Beard Award Winner Patrick O'Connell

24 minutes ago, mr food said:

Now $315pp but includes service charge. Wine pairings extra and you can pay in advance so pretty much $1000 per couple with wine I assume. This all according to TS in his last chat.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:34 AM, Keithstg said:

Have a reservation for this Saturday. Looking forward!

Let us know how it is. Dinner for two with an overnight stay is now two bills, and I don't mean Benjamins; I mean Grovers.

I'm headed to the Inn for dinner in about two weeks.  It's my first time, and of course I'm looking forward to it.  Any recent reports since the re-opening?  I see the sample menus online, but not sure how current they may be, or how frequently they change.  I'm hoping that we have the ability to mix and match dishes from the two tasting menus.  Most likely planning to do the wine pairings as well.  Feedback, recent reviews, or "can't miss" suggestions are welcome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bags said:

I'm headed to the Inn for dinner in about two weeks.  It's my first time, and of course I'm looking forward to it.  Any recent reports since the re-opening?  I see the sample menus online, but not sure how current they may be, or how frequently they change.  I'm hoping that we have the ability to mix and match dishes from the two tasting menus.  Most likely planning to do the wine pairings as well.  Feedback, recent reviews, or "can't miss" suggestions are welcome.

Following! We are going soon as well, to celebrate anniversary and Mrs W's new job. First time at IALW after being aware of it for 40 years. About time!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bags said:

I'm headed to the Inn for dinner in about two weeks.  It's my first time, and of course I'm looking forward to it.

17 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Following! We are going soon as well, to celebrate anniversary and Mrs W's new job. First time at IALW after being aware of it for 40 years. About time!

Wow, everyone should go one time if they can afford it. I haven't been in many years, but have been 3-4 times; however, I can't ever bring myself to stay there since it's so *insanely* expensive. It would be really nice to have the complete experience with breakfast, but I refuse to pay that kind of money. Still, it's a leisurely stroll or a one-minute drive from places such as the Foster-Harris house (which aren't exactly cheap, but notably less expensive than the Inn).

I hope you all have a wonderful time, and stay in the town of Washington so you don't need to drive back.

One thing that has changed: Their wine list used to have *gems* on it - and I mean I've purchased several of their bottles (even a couple bottles from Henri Jayer) to take home with me. At one time, they purchased the entirety of Le Pavillon's wine cellar, and they had absolutely no idea what some of those wines were; fortunately for me, I did know - I almost feel guilty, but not quite. If you scroll up to one of my early reviews, you can see I had an incredible wine there for $30, but those days seem to be long behind us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Still, it's a leisurely stroll or a one-minute drive from places such as the Foster-Harris house (which aren't exactly cheap, but notably less expensive than the Inn).

I hope you all have a wonderful time, and stay in the town of Washington so you don't need to drive back.

We stayed at the Foster-Harris House a couple years ago, just before the prior owners sold to the current owners. It was great then and apparently is at least as good now. Definitely a possibility!

21 hours ago, Bags said:

You may absolutely pick and choose from either tasting menu. I went shortly after the inn re-opened and I don’t believe that the menus have changed since, so the online versions are likely pretty current.

I’ve not done the wine pairings before, and would consider asking the somm to pair a bottle/ half bottle each of red and white wine with your meal instead.

For me the can’t miss dishes on the menus are the lamb carpaccio and the garganelli from the vegetarian menu...

I'd also add that if you do a tasting menu and there are any supplemental items offered, GET THEM!  Yes they will be expensive, but I think worth it.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:01 PM, mr food said:

Now $315pp but includes service charge. Wine pairings extra and you can pay in advance so pretty much $1000 per couple with wine I assume.

Wow!  As to my original comment..........what's an extra 20 or 30 bucks on top of a $1000 tab?!?!?! 😨

5 hours ago, Keithstg said:

You may absolutely pick and choose from either tasting menu. I went shortly after the inn re-opened and I don’t believe that the menus have changed since, so the online versions are likely pretty current.

This is good to know, however the website now only shows The Gastronaut's Menu and The Good Earth (vegetarian).  I seem to recall from checking the website when we booked a few months back that there were two non-vegetarian options.  I hope that they haven't scaled back to just one non-veg menu with no further options.  We'll have to see.

3 hours ago, Bags said:

This is good to know, however the website now only shows The Gastronaut's Menu and The Good Earth (vegetarian).  I seem to recall from checking the website when we booked a few months back that there were two non-vegetarian options.  I hope that they haven't scaled back to just one non-veg menu with no further options.  We'll have to see.

5 hours ago, Keithstg said:

I’ve not done the wine pairings before, and would consider asking the somm to pair a bottle/ half bottle each of red and white wine with your meal instead.

For me the can’t miss dishes on the menus are the lamb carpaccio and the garganelli from the vegetarian menu...

Thanks -- makes sense since the menus have the same price and number of courses. If I had to pick one, it would actually be the vegetarian menu.

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

Thanks -- makes sense since the menus have the same price and number of courses. If I had to pick one, it would actually be the vegetarian menu.

Prior to COVID they also had a pescatarian menu for a while, and also had an "Enduring Classics" menu in addition to the  "Gastronaut's Menu", and the Good Earth... Since Covid I've only seen the two.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:34 PM, Keithstg said:

Prior to COVID they also had a pescatarian menu for a while, and also had an "Enduring Classics" menu in addition to the  "Gastronaut's Menu", and the Good Earth... Since Covid I've only seen the two.

Interesting -- sight unseen I would love to try their pescatarian menu.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty L. said:

No doubt, ("starting at") $2112 might sound like a lot for a "family meal," but hey, it comes with breakfast, too!

...and a room for the night, and a cocktail reception, and wine with the "family meal". I mean, I get that we are supposed to react with outrage (or something), but at least provide the full tally.

I had no idea that thelistareyouonit still existed!

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 12:25 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Even with the full tally it's still ludicrous for a one pot meal, or maybe I'm misinterpreting what family meal is.  😄

Pretty safe to assume that Ryan Ratino and Jeremiah Langhorne aren't throwing one pot wonders out there for this.

• Haha 1

Went to celebrate birthday month last June; it’s been on my list forever. We stayed overnight at the Gay Street Inn about 3-4 blocks away -super charming, clean, friendly. Easy stroll to the restaurant. I was disturbed by the swarming gnats on the way there. They were unavoidable. Once we arrived, we were seated in a nook in the bar and fell on the snackies (spicy dried pineapple, spiced pecans, house cured olives) like we were starved but it was really because they were delightfully moreish. We bought some to take home at the gift shop. Dinner was nicely spaced out between courses. We went for the Gastronaut menu and the consistency of great dishes was solid but the chartreuse of savoy cabbage and Maine lobster with caviar beurre blanc was the best lobster dish of my life. There’s a reason why it stays on the menu! We had one wine pairing and a non alcoholic pairing, supplemented with a cheese course and didn’t regret a thing. Don’t sleep on the bakery attached to Patty’s - the next morning we picked out a selection of croissants and pastries to munch on the drive back to Northern Virginia but they were so shatteringly flaky, we got crumbs everywhere. The little Inn-shaped box of cookies as the take-home extra was really cute. Those three Michelin stars were well deserved for the food and maximalist decor. The service was a little less sophisticated than other places of the same caliber but still very good. Can’t wait to win the lottery and return!

• Like 8