The Inn At Little Washington - With 2001 National James Beard Award Winner Patrick O'Connell

On 5/13/2020 at 1:18 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

I don’t know about showmanship, but I gotta give credit to Patrick for making a grand ( peculiar) entrance for reopening. 

My dear friend, David Ortiz, recently visited the Inn. 

00C2D672-EF32-4A60-A765-C293C559E1DA.jpeg

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, we just got back so here are my impressions. The Inn is, as you can imagine, breathtakingly beautiful. It's like you're walking onto the set of Downton Abbey. Some of the décor bordered on Liber

My wife surprised me with a trip to the Inn for dinner. Until we left, I wasn't completely sure where we were going. She rightfully decided to find a more affordable place to stay, since $800 a night

Well having just dined at the IaLW, I can absolutely see why people consider it special and noteworthy after all these years.  The service just blows away the best service anywhere else in the DC area

Posted Images

Now $315pp but includes service charge. Wine pairings extra and you can pay in advance so pretty much $1000 per couple with wine I assume. This all according to TS in his last chat.

24 minutes ago, mr food said:

Now $315pp but includes service charge. Wine pairings extra and you can pay in advance so pretty much $1000 per couple with wine I assume. This all according to TS in his last chat.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:34 AM, Keithstg said:

Have a reservation for this Saturday. Looking forward!

Let us know how it is. Dinner for two with an overnight stay is now two bills, and I don't mean Benjamins; I mean Grovers.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:34 AM, Keithstg said:

Have a reservation for this Saturday. Looking forward!

I look forward to reading about it! (if you choose to share)

I'm headed to the Inn for dinner in about two weeks.  It's my first time, and of course I'm looking forward to it.  Any recent reports since the re-opening?  I see the sample menus online, but not sure how current they may be, or how frequently they change.  I'm hoping that we have the ability to mix and match dishes from the two tasting menus.  Most likely planning to do the wine pairings as well.  Feedback, recent reviews, or "can't miss" suggestions are welcome.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bags said:

I'm headed to the Inn for dinner in about two weeks.  It's my first time, and of course I'm looking forward to it.  Any recent reports since the re-opening?  I see the sample menus online, but not sure how current they may be, or how frequently they change.  I'm hoping that we have the ability to mix and match dishes from the two tasting menus.  Most likely planning to do the wine pairings as well.  Feedback, recent reviews, or "can't miss" suggestions are welcome.

Following! We are going soon as well, to celebrate anniversary and Mrs W's new job. First time at IALW after being aware of it for 40 years. About time!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Bags said:

I'm headed to the Inn for dinner in about two weeks.  It's my first time, and of course I'm looking forward to it.

17 hours ago, Bob Wells said:

Following! We are going soon as well, to celebrate anniversary and Mrs W's new job. First time at IALW after being aware of it for 40 years. About time!

Wow, everyone should go one time if they can afford it. I haven't been in many years, but have been 3-4 times; however, I can't ever bring myself to stay there since it's so *insanely* expensive. It would be really nice to have the complete experience with breakfast, but I refuse to pay that kind of money. Still, it's a leisurely stroll or a one-minute drive from places such as the Foster-Harris house (which aren't exactly cheap, but notably less expensive than the Inn).

I hope you all have a wonderful time, and stay in the town of Washington so you don't need to drive back.

One thing that has changed: Their wine list used to have *gems* on it - and I mean I've purchased several of their bottles (even a couple bottles from Henri Jayer) to take home with me. At one time, they purchased the entirety of Le Pavillon's wine cellar, and they had absolutely no idea what some of those wines were; fortunately for me, I did know - I almost feel guilty, but not quite. If you scroll up to one of my early reviews, you can see I had an incredible wine there for $30, but those days seem to be long behind us.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Still, it's a leisurely stroll or a one-minute drive from places such as the Foster-Harris house (which aren't exactly cheap, but notably less expensive than the Inn).

I hope you all have a wonderful time, and stay in the town of Washington so you don't need to drive back.

We stayed at the Foster-Harris House a couple years ago, just before the prior owners sold to the current owners. It was great then and apparently is at least as good now. Definitely a possibility!

21 hours ago, Bags said:

You may absolutely pick and choose from either tasting menu. I went shortly after the inn re-opened and I don’t believe that the menus have changed since, so the online versions are likely pretty current.

I’ve not done the wine pairings before, and would consider asking the somm to pair a bottle/ half bottle each of red and white wine with your meal instead.

For me the can’t miss dishes on the menus are the lamb carpaccio and the garganelli from the vegetarian menu...

I'd also add that if you do a tasting menu and there are any supplemental items offered, GET THEM!  Yes they will be expensive, but I think worth it.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:01 PM, mr food said:

Now $315pp but includes service charge. Wine pairings extra and you can pay in advance so pretty much $1000 per couple with wine I assume.

Wow!  As to my original comment..........what's an extra 20 or 30 bucks on top of a $1000 tab?!?!?! 😨

5 hours ago, Keithstg said:

You may absolutely pick and choose from either tasting menu. I went shortly after the inn re-opened and I don’t believe that the menus have changed since, so the online versions are likely pretty current.

This is good to know, however the website now only shows The Gastronaut's Menu and The Good Earth (vegetarian).  I seem to recall from checking the website when we booked a few months back that there were two non-vegetarian options.  I hope that they haven't scaled back to just one non-veg menu with no further options.  We'll have to see.

3 hours ago, Bags said:

This is good to know, however the website now only shows The Gastronaut's Menu and The Good Earth (vegetarian).  I seem to recall from checking the website when we booked a few months back that there were two non-vegetarian options.  I hope that they haven't scaled back to just one non-veg menu with no further options.  We'll have to see.

5 hours ago, Keithstg said:

I’ve not done the wine pairings before, and would consider asking the somm to pair a bottle/ half bottle each of red and white wine with your meal instead.

For me the can’t miss dishes on the menus are the lamb carpaccio and the garganelli from the vegetarian menu...

Thanks -- makes sense since the menus have the same price and number of courses. If I had to pick one, it would actually be the vegetarian menu.

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

Thanks -- makes sense since the menus have the same price and number of courses. If I had to pick one, it would actually be the vegetarian menu.

Prior to COVID they also had a pescatarian menu for a while, and also had an "Enduring Classics" menu in addition to the  "Gastronaut's Menu", and the Good Earth... Since Covid I've only seen the two.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:34 PM, Keithstg said:

Prior to COVID they also had a pescatarian menu for a while, and also had an "Enduring Classics" menu in addition to the  "Gastronaut's Menu", and the Good Earth... Since Covid I've only seen the two.

Interesting -- sight unseen I would love to try their pescatarian menu.

• Like 1