Muze (Formerly Sou'Wester and Café Mozu), Chef Mark McDonnell's Modern Asian in the Mandarin Oriental

Rachael Harriman is trying to kill me.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I will warn you, this is a long report. But, there's a lot to say. This is my last contact with the world of the living, I want to make it count.

Bottom line, I loved every minute I was there.

We entered Sou'Wester through a long corridor lined with a series of comfy-looking couches, then on to an elegant but utterly unpretentious space, cozily lit, with silver buckets full of lemons and smaller buckets full of candle fire on the tables. We sat along a series of curved windows along the Potomac. Looking up and out was a pretty view of the river. Looking down and out swept me into a river of satisfying schadenfreude: hundreds trapped in rush hour on Maine Avenue and 395. As someone who commutes over an hour each way, I was orgasmically smug watching the poor saps trapped in their cars out in the cold while I was sitting high and drowning myself in cocktails. I suddenly remembered my Lucretius: "It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another."

("I suddenly remembered my Lucretius"?!?! I swear to god, I'm not really a douchebag in real life, promise)

With everything exuding coziness and comfort, I suppose it was all part of Rachael's plan to lull me into a false sense of security before the attempted assassination.

The cocktail menu is divided into "Cocktails" and "Nectars," the latter made from seasonal fruit infusions. My Nectar, "The Revenge of Napoleon III,": silver tequila, anise hyssop, absinthe, and pink grapefruit juice was good, but not as good as my wife's cocktail: "Root Beer Float,": Jack Daniels, root beer, vanilla, angostura bitters (????), soda, and vanilla nuage.

All cocktails are $10, or $7 from 3-5PM.

Let the tale of murder begin.

Up first were two bowls of creamed grits with quail egg and white truffle. When I think grits, I can't help but be reminded of My Cousin Vinny: "Excuse me, you guys down here hear about the ongoing cholesterol problem in the country?" Echoing my recent Vidalia report, white truffles are like having Ovechkin on your hockey team: you're probably going to win, but how's your team going to do without your star player? In this case, very well. The grits and egg were perfect. I've never had grits or polenta with such a heavenly texture.

At this point I could have died happy, but she dragged it out.

Crab fritters with bulb onions and green goddess dressing ($12) came with fried lemons, and I ended up spooning the leftover green goddess (I love to spoon, I'm a cuddler). The Rappahannock River Oysters with grilled sausage ($13) were a huge hit with my wife: the sausage in particular brought to mind the flavors of New England.

I bet you're thinking: she probably poisoned the oysters. Those bottomfeeders have such a reputation for danger, no one would suspect.

But it goes on.

I happened to have mentioned to Rachael that my wife's all time favorite food was chicken parmesan. I've always been proud of the fact that I was the one who made my wife's favorite version of her favorite dish; as it should be. Not content with just my demise, Rachael had to take that away, too. In the fashion of classic Italian-American cuisine, Carlton brought out some pours of chianti to go with Rachael's take on chicken parm: crispy crusted chicken thigh, tomato marmalade, and mozzarella I swear was homemade. I don't know how I'll ever top it, short of doing a stage...

At this point I was full to bursting.

Let's not forget that we'd been chomping on bread, too: sweet potato rolls, buttermilk biscuits, and cornbread. Amanda Cook deserves full praise as one of the best bakers/pastry chefs in the city. Not finishing our second basket was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do (I've had an easy life).

Entrees. Will it never end?

Marinated hanger steak with texas toast and sauteed mushrooms ($24) was the best hanger I've ever had (sorry Michael!), with flavors I could not place, had never had before, but absolutely must have again.

My braised rabbit leg with rabbit sausage and creamed grits ($18) reintroduced me once again to my cruel, gritty, creamy mistress. The rabbit leg was moist and the outside was a perfectly uniform caramel color. The sausage itself was way too salty, my one complaint in a sea of kudos.

For what it's worth, the too-salty sausage was excellent cold the next day. Also, I actually told her I found it too salty. I don't think I've ever done that before. The fact that my respect for her as a chef overcame my natural shyness I think says something about the caliber of chef that she is.

The hush puppies with honey butter ($4) deserve all the praise they've received so far, but I do want to say that the twice baked potato with minced pork ($6) was the standout side for me.

At this point my heart had stopped completely.

The coup de grace was the brownie Sunday. Best. Chocolate. Sauce. EVER. Amanda Cook. Seriously. Spotlight. On you. Now.

Lastly, Carlton brought out a small glass of moscato. And I exploded. Boom. I will never eat again.

I'm writing this to you from the third circle of hell.

I have never been so full. I've never gotten a doggie bag at such an upscale place before, but it was so good I just couldn't leave it there.

Our waiter, Nicanor, was super friendly. Carlton was absolutely awesome. Seriously. Make use of this phenomenal resource if you go.

Suggestions: signage! We had a hard time finding the place inside the Mandarin. A bar/lounge! If Sou'Wester had a bar with prices on par with Vidalia, we'd be there every week.

Rachael came out to say hi. You don't have to talk to her personally (but it's obvious when you do), you just need to experience her food and her restaurant, to see that she cares deeply about making her customers genuinely happy.

And that's how I died. Happy, cozy, and comfortable. And full. Very, very full.

Holy shit. Where are the fucking Tums?

Comments from the wife: "I feel like I'm at a cozy log cabin on a lake in the mountains, lounging on the porch." "It was just very fun." "We should come back for New Years." "(after meeting the chef) I really, really like Rachael!!!"

PS - The music was AWESOME. Lotta classic rock. THAT'S what I want to eat to. None of that soft jazz shit (I'm looking at you, RJ!).

We stopped here for lunch last week. Sou'wester is something of a fun enigma to me, a collection of dishes with comfort-food roots, all suited up and presented in a beautiful space, but not really reinvented - at least not in a way that you could eat some of them with a level of decorum suited to the surroundings. And by surroundings I don't just mean the tall airy room and attentive service, but also your neighboring diners, who are likely to be well-dre$$ed and well-mannered.

The crab fritters, for instance, are uniform and precise golden-brown nuggets, assorted with a similar volume of lighter-toned spherical nuggets (the onions), and a few disk-shaped objects (the fried lemon slices). At least, if you've forgotten the menu description of the dish, as I did, this is the puzzle that you're presented with. To this Maryland boy, accustomed to irregular bits of crab poking out willy-nilly, it's unexpected. The fritters, which superficially resemble giant pretzel bites, are completely delectable, with a rich blue-crab flavor. Actually, all of the components were terrific. But the onions require a bit of care as you bite into them, because it's easy to send the core half of the layers shooting comically across your table if you happen to have it pointed in the wrong direction when you bite. I'm speaking from experience here.

Actress Christine Baranski and her husband, lunching elegantly at the next table over, didn't seem to notice...or maybe she just had the good manners to ignore the comedy playing out so close by. Which was good, because I'm sure I violated a dozen or two etiquette rules when I tucked into the fried chicken. Served on the bone, it's a refined take on fried chicken, nicely herbed, and yet...served on the bone. I'm sorry, but for this I can't switch to knife-and-fork, which always leaves too much behind. Fingers flying, I found the chicken to be excellent, although juicy to the point that it had formed puddles of chicken juice (not oil) on the plate underneath each piece. They're definitely starting out with a superior quality bird. And I agree with Keithstg upthread that the breading could have been a lot more assertive.

In the wouldn't-mind-a-tweak column, my salad was a bounty of delightful textures, but dressed a little heavily.

Back in the winning column: the basket of assorted breads, peoplewatching at the Mandarin Oriental (Sting walked right past us in the lobby), and the ridiculously reasonable prices.

I hadn't dined in this space since early in the tenure of Café MoZu, so it was nice to see a menu that was so full of attractive options. I mean, MoZu's bento box was fine, but c'mon now... I could really love this place, if only I could figure out how to relax in it.

I could really love this place, if only I could figure out how to relax in it.

I agree that they've given themselves a bit of a challenge. You've got sort of a built-in clientèle that's super swank and uptight (or, as my wife calls me when I'm acting super swank and uptight, "Monsieur Fancypants," to be pronounced with superlative French flourish), and yet you're serving them the "food of the people" in a relaxed atmosphere. I'm not sure I can see my CEO kicking back in a rocking chair with a root beer float (for me, though, that's my current happy place).

On the other hand, a lot of the clientèle are likely business travelers who probably wouldn't mind a slice of home, which is what comfort food is all about.

If the badass soundtrack doesn't put the mild mannered, geezerly tycoons into a festive mood, I don't know what will. Seriously. I want a Songs of Sou'wester CD.

I was plenty relaxed during my visit, though: enjoying watching the poor saps stuck in rush hour and kicking back without thought or care for whether Uncle F. Jackington Chesterfield III happened to be enjoying his ingurgitation.

If the badass soundtrack doesn't put the mild mannered, geezerly tycoons into a festive mood, I don't know what will. Seriously. I want a Songs of Sou'wester CD.

Dan, foodwise this place sounds like it's worth a visit, but you have talked up the music so much that you have to back it up. Give us three songs you heard while you were there.

As a point of reference, the tv show ER once used "Me and Baby Brother" by War. That's badass soundtrack music.

Dan, foodwise this place sounds like it's worth a visit, but you have talked up the music so much that you have to back it up. Give us three songs you heard while you were there.

As a point of reference, the tv show ER once used "Me and Baby Brother" by War. That's badass soundtrack music.

Sympathy for the Devil, some CCR, I think some Joplin... The mixes are done by the wife of someone at CityZen... she's a DJ.

Sympathy for the Devil, some CCR, I think some Joplin... The mixes are done by the wife of someone at CityZen... she's a DJ.

In other words, muzak for people my age. laugh.gif

I don't recall the music at all from my one visit, but have to agree with Dave that the room doesn't mesh well with the food, and also that the crab fritters were very good.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

-- Robert Frost, from "The Road Not Taken."

Several critics have judged Sou'Wester harshly. I'm not here to question their reviews, but rather to offer my own. Both Eric Ziebold and Rachael Harriman are friends of mine, so read this with appropriate skepticism.

I wrote about my Thanksgiving dinner at Sou'Wester here, and have since returned twice. Both times I walked in unannounced, and both times I was recognized by Carlton McCoy. I can assure you that the other major critics were also recognized, so everyone's on an even footing.

Two weeks ago, I ordered a $35, three-course dinner:

Chesapeake Bay Rockfish Ceviche ($13)

Lamb and Rye Berry Soup ($8)

Sauteed Pork Jowl ($14) and pickled watermelon rind

And on Tuesday night, I ordered a $35, two-course dinner:

Corned Beef Shortribs ($24) and horseradish soubise

Twice Baked Potato ($6) with minced pork

Carrot Cake ($5)

Almost across the board, the food at Sou'Wester has been rewarding. The bread basket was very good during Thanksgiving, but has gotten progressively better during each subsequent visit.

I have noticed glitches in the service, but they've become smaller over the past few weeks.

I'm not sure what people expect when they walk into the fanciest hotel in Washington, DC, and have dinner at their "second" restaurant overlooking the Tidal Basin. I certainly don't expect this:

Average cost of an appetizer: $10.66

Average cost of an entrée: $20.70

Average cost of a side dish: $4.86

Average cost of a dessert: $5.00

Nor do I expect a dining room in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel to look like Comet Ping Pong just because they're serving inexpensive food. People have assumed that just because Sou'Wester is serving hush puppies, it's supposed to look like something out of Deliverance, but this is more like something out of Gone With The Wind. This is dining, not eating.

And though I'm taking the road less traveled by, I'm not traveling alone by any means – Sou'Wester was bustling with people on both of my recent weeknight visits, and is reportedly doing a brisk lunch business as well. I say to Rachael, Carlton, and Eric: congratulations on a successful opening of an excellent restaurant, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Tuesday evening, I skipped the wine and ordered two bottles of Miller – The Champagne Of Beers. And if anyone thinks this is pretentious, then I suggest that they drink a few, and think again.

post-2-126107664175_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rocks.

Trip Number Two. I'll try to keep it shorter this time. I don't remember prices or exact descriptions like Rocks does, but I'll do my best.

As a general rule, you can't go wrong ordering something deep-fried, and nowhere does this rule apply more than at Sou'wester. Those of you who came to the fall picnic have already sampled the fried chicken. They've re-branded the crab fritters as a "seafood fry," which now includes crab, shrimp, clams, and fried lemons, but still comes with an addicting green goddess dip. The standout fried dish was the chicken fried pork steak with collard greens and mashed potatoes: the pork was packed with porcine flavor, and somehow managed to be super juicy while leaving the crust dry and crunchy (no sogginess!).

The veal terrine comes laced with pistachios and served with an amazing, perfectly seasoned rustic bread. In fact, all of the bread at Sou'wester is perfect: the biscuits, the sweet potato bread, the corn bread... everything.

By the time the entrees arrived, we were already stuffed. Why why why why did we get two sides? Oh yeah, because the creamed grits and twice baked potato are scrumptious, and because doggie bags exist.

My wife was the first one to try a new item on the menu: veal stroganoff. The meatballs were revelatory: I don't know how they achieve that texture. It was creamy and crispy! My beef short rib took me back to our seders growing up (before I discovered that my Italian Catholic side offered better culinary options).

The banana cream pie was the perfect size, and the exact right amount of lightness after our heavy meal.

Service was excellent, and while Carlton was missing (he doesn't work Mondays), Robert did a superb job filling his shoes.

I did note with some dismay that the music, while still excellent, was turned down in the dining room.

A big thank you to the whole team for a memorable 30th birthday, and especially to Rachael for being the brains and brawns behind this exceptional food (and for being a gracious and attentive host!).

Also thank you to leleboo for the totally unexpected champagne and birthday paraphernalia awaiting us at our table. :angry:

I can’t move.

Neither from my seat nor from DC. As the sweltering summer once again approaches, and I start to feel that “anywhere but here” vibe of wandering restlessness, dining events like tonight’s Crab Feast fill me with entirely too much food along with a large dose of geographic gratitude.

Only in DC can you find this oasis of a patio overlooking the Tidal Basin. Plenty of grass, plenty of shade, the angles of the building smartly shield diners from the late evening sun. An occasional Marine Corps helicopter flies by, the only invading sound on this pleasantly isolated lawn. It is perhaps too tranquil because I found myself longing for background music. Not necessarily live performers, but something to carry acoustical effervescence would greatly enhance this environment.

Upon arrival this humid evening, we had been greeted by a server bearing a warm smile along with complimentary strawberry sodas, refreshing and welcoming. Airy shortbread biscuits with exceptional, thinly-sliced ham followed, as did the ever-famous hush puppies with honey butter, fresh and crunchy traditional cole slaw, fried chicken, and deviled eggs. Some of the best shrimp of the year appeared at the table tonight--conveniently de-veined, but gratifyingly shell-on, and not a moment overcooked. I would have sworn the kitchen somehow steamed these with the heads on, so rich was the flavor.

Platters of season-studded crabs were the highlight of the table, insides rich with “mustard”, gratifying in their unctuous audacity. I found these specimens both small and light, but not unusual for this early in the season. Plate after plate of all dishes kept arriving, an unbelievable volume of food. Dessert included a parade of house-baked cones with strawberry, vanilla, or chocolate ice cream, a splendid choice for the finale. Service was outstandingly friendly and gracious, the staff here focused keenly on the diner’s experience and all comforts.

Events like this one always appease my inner extrovert with family-style seating and family-style serving. Just over two hours in duration, I was surprised time went so quickly. Music probably would have extended the occasion. But then again, this was meant to be a meal, not an evening.

I give the lawn party concept at Sou’Wester an enthusiastic thumbs-up. With several monthly events on the horizon, it’s well worth keeping an eye on their upcoming schedule and book a few seats for this unique DC dining experience.

Knowing I'd be jet lagged, I initially turned down the offer of a free ticket to the Nationals game yesterday.

Then came the email at 9:44 AM, titled "You Are Nuts."

I opened it, and it said "If you don't come to the game today."

Hmm, 4:10 PM first pitch, gorgeous weather, Strasburg pitching, fifth-row seats behind the Nationals' dugout.

So the Grim Reaper shows up, and Strasburg has a 37-pitch first inning, then leaves after five with no run support.

Grim Reaper leaves early, Nationals come back and win.

It was hot, but it was also dinnertime. Should I walk to Barracks Row? Nah, I headed west.

I walked past Greenleaf Gardens, where I once had my car window smashed with a rock, and my bike stolen (I finessed it back ... long story).

Then Waterside Mall, where I spent many years, and which no longer exists. I was happy to see the Grand Opening signs for the new Safeway - not because the area is being developed, but because people in Greenleaf Gardens et al will now have a grocery store. (Waterside Mall had a fantastic Negril, btw.)

Past the Arena Stage which now seems bizarrely modern to me. I used to go there fairly often, and remember writing Zelda Fichandler when she left.

Up, up, up to the Mandarin Oriental, where I cooled down for a moment (needed to, desperately), then walked into Sou'Wester. I'd called over on my mobile during the walk, and talked with Celia - she had me a table on the patio waiting when I got there. My pony of Miller High Life was sitting in a little bucket of ice, with a linen napkin draped over it, and an empty champagne glass to its side. There is no prettier place to dine in the city than the patio at Sou'Wester, and some people were dining there in shorts.

I ordered a Chilled Globe Artichoke Soup ($12) for an appetizer, and the Pan-Fried Chicken with Wedge Salad ($16, all dark meat) for my entree, along with the best Succotash ($6) I've ever eaten. Appetizers at Sou'Wester average $12.25, entrees average $22.70, and all desserts are $6.

Rachael came out, giddy about her upcoming trip to France. Carlton was there too, recently back from Germany and Austria. Eric stopped by for a minute towards the end of my dinner to say hello.

"So am I the only person ever to walk here from Nationals Park?" I asked.

He looked somewhat sad, and said, "Yeah, I think so."

Cheers,

Rocks

"So am I the only person ever to walk here from Nationals Park?" I asked.

He looked somewhat sad, and said, "Yeah, I think so."

Bullshit! I had a lengthy conversation with Carlton after walking to CityZen with my dad following the last Strasburg home game.

And I was skeptical, but I think the new Arena Stage is looking great.

Three of us had dinner there on Wednesday night for Restaurant Week. It has been a while since I have gone out for RW, but if all my RW meals were like this, I would do it all the time!

I have never been to Sou'wester, so I don't know what the menu generally looks like, but they had a ton of choices for RW. Appetizers included an heirloom tomato salad (good), a pork belly dish (below average) and a sweetbreads dish (perfect). The entrees were even better, especially the fried chicken and prime rib (can't remember the last time I ordered one of those), the rockfish was good as well, but not great. Desserts, however, stole the show. Red velvet cake, which I am generally not a fan of, was the best of the bunch. A chocolate silk pie was also very good, the third dessert escapes me at this moment. We did the wine pairings, I think they are $23.10 per person, and they were well worth the money (large pours). The reds, as usual for me, blew away the whites, but all of the whites were good enough other than an overly oaky chardonnay. Service was attentive, but clearly flustered at times. And, the room is beautiful. Not as "homey" as I expected, it really didn't fit the cuisine, but I understand because it is the freakin Mandarin Oriental after all.

I think they are serving excellent low country food here, but I don't think I'm really a low country food kind of girl. Everything was very good, but very heavy, especially for a brunch. I did love the lamb and bean soup - it was incredibly flavorful and didn't feel like it was going to harden my arteries. The mushroom soup, while delicious, was too creamy and difficult to finish. The chicken-fried trout is served atop potatoes dripping with butter and the hush puppies are perfectly fried, surprisingly light and crisp. The pork belly is unctous and deeply flavorful, and the mustardy, pleasingly crunchy coleslaw does its job in cutting through the richness.

I would reccomend going, just not anytime around Thanksgiving.

Took Mom out for a birthday dinner here on Saturday night and everyone enjoyed their meal. I had not been in a long time and the restaurant has a new chef de cuisine in the kitchen, Eddie Moran. From my experience things are certainly running smoothly. Highlights of the dishes that I tasted were the "Nose to Tail" Crispy Path Valley Shoat served with cider-braised savoy cabbage and a fried egg. It is a hockey puck sized portion of pig perfectly fried and topped with a sunny-side-up egg. The Rockfish served was with crispy Yukon gold potatoes, Chincoteague clams, and bacon chowder broth was excellent. The shrimp and grits were well done with a nice and The smashed and fried potatoes that came with the chicken "under a brick" were quite tasty too. All the fish dishes were superbly cooked and this place is certainly worth more frequent visits.

Had dinner there on Thursday, and it was very, very good. The $13 vegetable salad is a wonderful mixture of flavors and textures drizzled with a light vinargarette. My SO had the rockfish surrounded by a medley of mushrooms. I had the thickest piece of bluefish that I have ever encountred, and it was complemented by a fascinating vegetable mixture of peas, carrots, red peppers, lima beans, and herbs. This is among our favorite restaurants in DC.

I forgot CityZen was closed Sunday and Mondays, but that meant we had a lovely dinner at Sou'Wester last night. We had impeccable service, although the place wasn't packed. I had the light and bright wine pairing which I thought was good and good value. I started with steamed clams in a white wine sauce, the sauce was a touch salty, but the flavors were nice, except for that, and the clams themselves were beautiful, large and very flavorful. Overall I really liked it, although I think someone just had a little heavy hand with the salt.

For an entree I got the shrimp and grits. I really liked it. It wasn't fancied up, it was good Southern shrimp and grits made with really good ingredients. I loved how the tomato sauce perfectly complimented the crunch of the okra and spice of the shrimp with the creamy grits. We also had a side of hush puppies because well Hubby is a connoisseur. Sorry Bluegrass Tavern you have been quickly dethroned, these were astonishingly good, sweet and crisp, but so tender and warm on the inside, I wished I hadn't eaten so much food that I could have had more than I did.

I also wished we had room for dessert the menu looked fantastic, full of stuff my husband actually wanted! It was a really nice evening which we really enjoyed.

Exceptional dinner again tonight. An imaginative autumn salad with seriously shaved pear, parsnip, carrot, and pumpkin garnished with walnuts, black raisins, and dried cranberries. Blackened bluefish with carmelized kohlrabi, okra, tomato, and puffs of bacon fat (I think). This is another place that turns out excellent food but flies under the radar. Living in the shadow of CityZen doesn't help its visibility. Staff was welcoming and very professional as usual. We dine here every three months or so.

We wanted some brunch Sunday around lunchtime before we met up with some people at the Museum of National History. Driving around Penn Quarter not finding a parking spot, a realization came to my mind, Sou'Wester was actually very close to the Museum and would have good brunch and we would be able to find a parking spot in that area.

We easily found parking and wandered in out of the cold. The room so light and airy, live jazz being played it was a perfect way to wake up to the day after a night of drinking. I ordered the "Snout to Tail" pork shoat, greens and pork jus with a side of potatoes. Hubby had the Croque. Looking around the room though ordering was a hard decision. The bread basket had their normal cornbread and rolls, which are really good.

The food came out, I loved the balance of mine, crispy and tender with nicely cooked greens. Hubby enjoyed his too. The potatoes were a tad oily, but had a good flavor. All in all it was a really nice brunch. Service was a bit slow, but we were pretty slow at that point so it was fine. And the food more than made up for it.

I went to Sou'Wester for Restaurant Week in January, which was my second time dinning at the restaurant. They not only had the entire menu available, but it did not appear that the portions, ingredients, or preparation were any different than I would have encountered on a "normal" night. And the food, which is similar to Vidalia but with a bit more of a regional feel (they do great things with local bluefish), is as good as any place in the city at its price point. I left curious as to why you don't hear more about Sou'Wester. It is obviously somewhat overshadowed by its more famous sister restaurant and it is not really near anything (not to mention its terrible name, I'm sorry to say). But you'd think, at a minimum, it would get more of a nod here.

I went to Sou'Wester for Restaurant Week in January, which was my second time dinning at the restaurant. They not only had the entire menu available, but it did not appear that the portions, ingredients, or preparation were any different than I would have encountered on a "normal" night. And the food, which is similar to Vidalia but with a bit more of a regional feel (they do great things with local bluefish), is as good as any place in the city at its price point. I left curious as to why you don't hear more about Sou'Wester. It is obviously somewhat overshadowed by its more famous sister restaurant and it is not really near anything (not to mention its terrible name, I'm sorry to say). But you'd think, at a minimum, it would get more of a nod here.

I have enjoyed several meals there and have wondered the same thing. It might have to do with its slight inaccessibility, which is a sorry excuse IMHO.

It's a shame that when they had the problem over the name they wanted to use (which was the same name as the music festival) that they didn't just go to something totally different that was catchy instead of trying to keep the Southwest in it. That name is just really bad.

PS Sit on the patio at Ashby Inn and Sou'Wester sometime and have another good chuckle at how I overrate restaurants (and by all means use Savored.com and save 30%). Then go have Logan Cox's food at Ripple where he magically became a great chef.

Sou'wester has a patio?

Sou'wester has a patio?

The most beautiful patio in DC. Mike, have dinner here with your honey on a beautiful spring day (move quickly). If you don't think it's absolutely a glorious, mega-rich experience at bargain-basement prices, write me, and I'll take care of you somehow. I'm that confident you'll rave about it. Stunning, absolutely stunning. Get a cocktail or glass of aromatic white, or sparkling wine to sip for 15 minutes before even looking at the menu. Talk with each other. Live life to the fullest. It's just unbelievable. Hell get a Miller in a Champagne bucket if you must. And yes, Ashby at Sunset, overlooking the stunning mountains in the background, too.

Either of these could be last-meal locales. Please, readers, do yourselves a favor, and book these (yes, through Savored) on the cheap. Just do it, and post about it here. If you love life, you're going to really, really love it at the end of these evenings. I cannot rave about these enough.

Above all, do not write Celia Laurent-Ziebold, GM of Sou-Wester, or Neal Wavra, proprietor of Ashby Inn, and mention my name. That would be entirely unethical. (And with the 30% off discount from Savored, why would you bother?) Do tell them I said hello, however, and absolutely ask them for their recommendations that evening for both food and wines. Or is that wrong, too?

These two fine people love donrockwell.com members and want to help you. They want you as repeat customers. They want to make you happy. God I'm a terrible person for wanting to make people happy.

For lunch yesterday I had the Oyster and Shrimp Po' Boy, which was about as perfectly executed a rendition as I've had. However, the $20 price tag seemed on the high side, and not really Po'....a companion tried the lamb sausage burger and thought it to be salty but OK. I also came away thinking the menu opyions were a bit limited.

Awesome. Say hi next time!

Well, had I seen you, I would have! I was at a 4-top on the elevated side overlooking the water....

Lunch at Sou'Wester today was nice. The ham and cheddar panini hit the spot. Neighboring tables with the softshell crab po' boy caught my eye as well.

I'm really in love with the club sandwich at the Empress Lounge, but when I asked if Sou'Wester could prepare it for me, the waitress pointed out to me that Empress has a separate kitchen. So, there will be no club sandwiches to be had at Sou'Wester. Too bad....that fried egg adds a certain something addictive to the Empress's club sandwich....

Pre-movie, had-to-be quick dinner plans in Georgetown were shaping up, and all signs were pointing to Chipotle. I have nothing against Chipotle, but as I hadn't yet been to Tackle Box, I thought it would be good to branch out a bit and steered our group there. Overall, it was the right decision--everyone seemed happy with his or her choices (grilled zucchini, fried shrimp, rainbow trout, fried calamari among the positive notes), but we left baffled about the hush puppies. As porcupine noted upthread, "Like little oily sawdusty bricks of compressed corn-like substance."

As usual, my feelings on this topic are best expressed in haiku:

A sad day it is

When Captain D's is better

Fried bread CAN be bad

It's too bad you didn't have the corn muffins I had last night at Sou'Wester. I defy anyone to try the corn muffins (gratis) and Fried Oysters at Sou'Wester and say that both aren't the Best Of Type ever (and for corn muffins, that's a gutsy claim). Usual disclaimer of personal friendship, but I'm tired of this restaurant not being recognized for the fantastic place that it is. Sou'Wester should be crowded seven days a week. No, make that *packed*. Last night I drove there from Arlington in 15 minutes, and parked for free on the street.

It's too bad you didn't have the corn muffins I had last night at Sou'Wester. I defy anyone to try the corn muffins (gratis) and Fried Oysters at Sou'Wester and say that both aren't the Best Of Type ever. Usual disclaimer of personal friendship, but I'm tired of this restaurant not being recognized for the fantastic place that it is. Sou'Wester should be crowded seven days a week. No, make that *packed*. Last night I drove there from Arlington in 15 minutes, and parked for free on the street.

Funny, I too had just finished reading Laura's post and was going to post about the excellent hush puppies (with honey butter) that we had at Sou'Wester a few weeks ago.

It's too bad you didn't have the corn muffins I had last night at Sou'Wester. I defy anyone to try the corn muffins (gratis) and Fried Oysters at Sou'Wester and say that both aren't the Best Of Type ever (and for corn muffins, that's a gutsy claim). Usual disclaimer of personal friendship, but I'm tired of this restaurant not being recognized for the fantastic place that it is. Sou'Wester should be crowded seven days a week. No, make that *packed*. Last night I drove there from Arlington in 15 minutes, and parked for free on the street.

This place is easily one of, if not the, best not talked about places in the city.

This place is easily one of, if not the, best not talked about places in the city.

What people don't seem to pick up on is that Sou'Wester is essentially a Virginia restaurant - it is literally two minutes from the 14th Street Bridge. Barring a clog on the bridge, I can drive there from Falls Church just as quickly as someone can from Cleveland Park (I-66, Route 110, I-395, 14th-to-C-to-12th, park on 12th, one stoplight total), and I think the fact that Virginia residents don't pick up on this is why it's always empty. It isn't the critics' reviews; it's the public's perception of location that have left it a bastard child, forgotten by DC because it's in SW; overlooked by VA because it's in DC. It's also mistakenly assumed to be formal and expensive because it's inside the Mandarin Oriental, but it's not - appetizers average about $13, entrees about $26, and the fried oysters ($14) and corn muffins (free) are worth killing for.

I would have to agree, with the added comment that Empress Lounge is even less talked about.

I could live off the corn muffins with a cup of that incredible Illy coffee.

What people don't seem to pick up on is that Sou'Wester is essentially a Virginia restaurant - it is literally two minutes from the 14th Street Bridge. Barring a clog on the bridge, I can drive there from Falls Church just as quickly as someone can from Cleveland Park (I-66, Route 110, I-395, 14th-to-C-to-12th, park on 12th, one stoplight total), and I think the fact that Virginia residents don't pick up on this is why it's always empty. It isn't the critics' reviews; it's the public's perception of location that have left it a bastard child, forgotten by DC because it's in SW; overlooked by VA because it's in DC. It's also mistakenly assumed to be formal and expensive because it's inside the Mandarin Oriental, but it's not - appetizers average about $13, entrees about $26, and the fried oysters ($14) and corn muffins (free) are worth killing for.

And to add there is normally street parking to be had AND it isn't a hassle to get a reservation. And they have gluten free bread that is really good. It really is some of the best Southern food in the city right now. It's like being in Charleston for a meal.

I can feel myself slowly getting mad about people's lack of knowledge about Sou'Wester and am about to go get on a high horse over on Chowhound...

forgotten by DC because it's in SW

I spend a good bit of time in SW (my church is there, and I am working on a large project there at the moment).

I have been to Sou'Wester once. And my reason is that for many years I did assume it was too expensive. It is a bit expensive for a regular place, but not for an occasional place.

Also, we are much more likely to sit at a bar than at a table, unless we're having a fancy dinner. So, the no bar thing works against them.

But we liked it a lot when we went, and will go back.

I wanted to let you all know about my new dessert menu at Sou'Wester.

I am very excited about it because it brings back things I grew up with; who doesn't love a great sundae???

So come on down and sit outside on our patio, have some oysters and cocktails then finish it off with a stellar sundae.

Yes we have a patio and it is GORGEOUS.

I have posted the menu for you below.

Best,

Matthew

DESSERTS

CLASSICS

Fried Apple Pie Caramel, Vanilla Ice Cream

Rhubarb Clafoutis Toasted Meringue, Rhubarb Sorbet

Chocolate Ganache Tart Mint Sugar, Sweet Whipped Cream

COMPOSED SUNDAES

Banana Pudding Nilla Wafer, Peanut Caramel, Vanilla Ice Cream

Strawberry Shortcake Strawberry Compote, Yellow Cake Ice Cream, Strawberry Ice Cream

Lemon-Berry Ginger Cookie, Lemon Frozen Yogurt, Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream

Rocky Road Walnuts, Marshmallows, Chocolate Ice Cream, Vanilla Ice Cream

BY THE SCOOP

Choose Any 3

Ice Cream Vanilla, Strawberry, Raspberry Swirl, Sweet Coffee, Chocolate

Sorbet Rhubarb, Lemon Frozen Yogurt

I wanted to let you all know about my new dessert menu at Sou'Wester.

I am very excited about it because it brings back things I grew up with; who doesn't love a great sundae???

So come on down and sit outside on our patio, have some oysters and cocktails then finish it off with a stellar sundae.

Yes we have a patio and it is GORGEOUS.

So when is the cocktail party with passed sundaes? That would be fantastic!

Make it the banana, because then it will be a banana split.

Actually, it'll be a split banana split.

Hopefully the two of them don't knock over the dessert because then it'll be a spilt split banana split.

/I'll be here all week

//Don't forget to tip your servers

You're gonna want to order your own...

:)

We couldn't resist and split two deserts: the fried apple pie with caramel & vanilla ice cream as well as the banana nilla wafer, peanut caramel, and vanilla ice cream. What a perfect cap to a nice evening out on the patio. The fried apple pie (I only got a small bite as my fiance ate it before I could try more) was delicious, nice and crisp. The sundae was incredible...I could've eaten that peanut carmel over vanilla ice cream by itself.

For the rest of the meal, we basically repeated what we both had at the picnic - she had the chicken under a brick (with its delicious lemon marmalade) and I had the blackened red drum. Both were as good as they were a few weeks back.

To start we had the "carpetbaggers" - oysters with steak carpaccio on top along with an order of the addictive hush puppies.

As everyone has mentioned, the patio is really the way to go...particularly now that it has not reached the typical DC levels of humidity. Many thanks to the lovely team at Sou'Wester for the great experience once again!

We were here this past Saturday night for a joint birthday dinner and lucked into just a perfect night to sit out on the patio. We took Don's advice and ordered a bottle of wine and sat back and relaxed for a good 30 minutes before ordering - wait staff was awesome as they could tell we were here to relax and take our time.

We enjoyed the following:

Shucked oysters, pan fried oysters, rockfish and the red drum. Everything was fresh with the only slight disappointment being the red drum. When ordered I was asked if I liked spicy because this dish was very spicy and I replied yes no problem. The dish had no kick to it at all but was still very fresh and satisfying.

For desert we split the fried apple pie which we both agreed was perfect. I was pushing to try one of the new sundaes but couldn't get the wife to try it.

We were also given a free dessert wine with our dessert when they found out we were celebrating our birthday - nice touch.

Looking forward to returning here soon. Street parking was plentiful on a Saturday night at 7:30.

Really nice dinner here last night, though sadly the weather was dicey enough that we could not dine outdoors. Baked oysters and the chicken fried trout (me), and beet salad and blackened drum (+1). Rhubarb clafoutis shared for dessert. Chef generously subbed a chicken jambalaya for the shrimp jambalaya with the drum since +1 is allegic to shellfish. I especially loved the oysters, which were beautifully presented. The greens and black eye peas under the trout were so yummy, without the aggressive saltiness you often get with restaurant greens. I could eat a very large bowl of those greens.

Our server was delightful. The room overlooking the water is quiet enough for easy conversation. It all made for a wonderfully relaxing evening following two really terrible weeks at work.

As a side note, I noticed quite a few single diners, probably a function of being located in the hotel. The one-tops were treated very well, and this is definitely a place that a single diner could have a great experience.

And with a blink of an eye, Tom Sietsema reports Chef Moran has parted ways.

Gotta love the anonymous post stating " ...seems like it has fallen into disarray." I would be very surprised to see that happening. I am looking forward to my dinner there next weekend and will be sure to report back.

Yeah...how dare someone write in and express their opinion!

As someone who knows the backstory, I can say with a fair amount of confidence this was not an opinion; this was a pissed off friend, relative, or girlfriend. The restaurant did *nothing* wrong and is not in disarray. I gave my word I wouldn't reveal any details, so I'm afraid I'm obliged not to say any more. Eric has spent the past two days working from 7 AM until midnight.

Yeah...how dare someone write in and express their opinion!

Stating that the food may be less than the usual is one thing, but saying that it has fallen into disarray with no facts, that's helpful. But I guess opinions are like...