Chinatown Coffee Company, 5th and H Streets in Chinatown - Artisanal Coffee and Light Fare

porcupine

. Sometimes need a scorecard to keep track :)

Exactly. I was picking up beans from the Dolcezza in Dupont Circle - they were carrying some extremely fresh Intellegentsia. The last couple of times I've been in there, no Intellegentsia, and nothing less that a week to 10 days old. They got mad at me for asking them to open a newly delivered box of CC because I didn't want to buy the beans on the shelf.

My local shop in NYC only carries Stumptown, which is roasted in Brooklyn and delivered to the shop twice a week, making it hard to pass up.

I don't see what's wrong with Counter Culture. Anyone?

The reason why I've strayed from buying Counter Culture (no doubt, a quality product) is because it is a very, very light roast, and I think you need professional equipment to really get the most out of it - I haven't had much luck with it at home. With proper brewing equipment, I don't love "city roasts" (which is what Misha's calls their dark roasts), but I like balance, and I don't care what anyone says - for home use, I like oily beans.

I remember having this exact conversation with Nick Cho when he was at Murky. He said (about Counter Culture), "Have you ever had a bad cup here?" I thought about it for two seconds, and my answer was, "no, I haven't." But then, I don't think I've ever had a great cup of Counter Culture made at home, either.

[i'm Don Rockwell, I approve of this thread, and I can't wait to start splitting off the independent coffee houses into their own threads so we can begin the long, arduous process of putting Starbucks out of business. :)]

The reason why I've strayed from buying Counter Culture (no doubt, a quality product) is because it is a very, very light roast, and I think you need professional equipment to really get the most out of it - I haven't had much luck with it at home. With proper brewing equipment, I don't love "city roasts" (which is what Misha's calls their dark roasts), but I like balance, and I don't care what anyone says - for home use, I like oily beans.

I remember having this exact conversation with Nick Cho when he was at Murky. He said (about Counter Culture), "Have you ever had a bad cup here?" I thought about it for two seconds, and my answer was, "no, I haven't." But then, I don't think I've ever had a great cup of Counter Culture made at home, either.

[i'm Don Rockwell, I approve of this thread, and I can't wait to start splitting off the independent coffee houses into their own threads so we can begin the long, arduous process of putting Starbucks out of business. :)]

C'mon, Don :) . Professional equipment, in this case, involves a pot to boil water in along with a pour-over filter setup, like a Melitta.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you can't get a great cup of coffee at home unless you buy a $20,000 Clover machine, or, worse a $40 Hario pot in which to boil water.

I stopped by Boccato in Clarendon (right across from the Whole Foods) and picked up some Stumptown Bolivia Buenavista beans. It was my first stop in there and while the space is pretty crowded (between the gelatto and coffee bar) it appeared the beans had been roasted pretty recently and they produced an excellent cup of coffee out of the french press this am. At 13 bucks a lb maybe its a big of an indulgence, but I'm thinking a return visit to sample some of the other Stumptown beans is probably in order.

Instead of lb I meant 12oz bag

Edited by Rovers2000

I don't see what's wrong with Counter Culture. Anyone?

I will step up and say that I am not a fan of Counter Culture. The roasting is uneven at times and honestly, sometimes it gets really oily and acidic along the lines of how Starbucks get. Yes, sometimes Intelligentsia beans can get oily but consistently strong. Sometimes I end up feeling sick to my stomach after a Counter Culture brew and this is even after brewing from the Clover that G+B used to have.

But this is only my experience.

Beans I have luck with are:

UCC

Quartermaine

Allegro (Celebration only)

Alterra

ME Swing

Caffe Pronto

Peets

Intelligentsia (mild brews - had bad luck with their millenium brew of some sort)

Eta: I remember I went to Cafe Grumpy in Chelsea in NYC two successive years and the first year, they carried Counter Culture coffee. While the brew was good, it was even better the next year I went, when they switched to a company out of Boulder, CO. Of course, I forgot the name of the company now, but boy, did that cuppa hit the spot!

Edited by goodeats

After drinking the coffee at Againn and Dino, we've been quite in love with ME Swing. So much so that a dear friend in Brooklyn deputized me to do all her Christmas shopping there for her this year. Now in early March she is returning with special orders from everyone who just ran out of their gifted coffee and must have more.

Eta: I remember I went to Cafe Grumpy in Chelsea in NYC two successive years and the first year, they carried Counter Culture coffee. While the brew was good, it was even better the next year I went, when they switched to a company out of Boulder, CO. Of course, I forgot the name of the company now, but boy, did that cuppa hit the spot!

Could it have been Novo in Denver? Chinatown Coffee buys some beans from them.

Beans I have luck with are:

UCC

Quartermaine

Allegro (Celebration only)

Alterra

ME Swing

Caffe Pronto

Peets

Intelligentsia (mild brews - had bad luck with their millenium brew of some sort)

Cafe Pronto is being served (and maybe sold?) at Iota now.

Yesterday, I was >< close to stopping in Caffe Amouri when the downpour started and I decided to cut my losses to do a more productive trip of grocery shopping at the Vienna WF. That's where I stumbled upon Central Coffee Roasters, based locally in Sperryville, VA.

Made my first cuppa one of their mild brews and ended up making it too weak. However, despite my ineptness (inability? ineptitude?) to make coffee this morning (this is what happens when you watch the 25th Anniversary PBS special of Les Mis at 3am), the depth of flavor was there. For $9.99 per lb., I think this is a good bargain.

I am on a bit of a quest for the perfect place for my morning espresso and newspaper fix. I've spent a couple of very nice mornings at Mid-City on 14th near S.......both pour-over and espresso - - each wonderful - - and developed a minor addiction to their full-fat maple yogurt with sliced banana's....Sidamo on H St (across from where it looks like Pound is coming in?) - - I love the purity of the all-African all-fair trade approach.....the couple that runs it seems very nice and the man is VERY VERY serious about coffee.....I did find the espresso a bit overpoweringly oily and flavor a bit beyond my (fairly broad) spectrum (i can't come up with an adjective for it at the moment)...but it's such a cute shop.......i will probably go back for a cappucino to cut the strength of the pure espresso......today was Big Bear, which I though was excellent....just perfect bare-bones decor....multi-cultural client base.....espresso right in my strike zone.........got talking to another customer who is part of the barista community in the city....she herself works at Dolcezza and, the way she describes it (business driven by gelato so barista's are free to be creative and push the envelope a bit without affecting bottom line), it sounds worth a visit.......she also endorsed Peregrine, Filter and Chinatown....I really enjoyed just hearing her real off names of different baristas who work at various places....the challenges of finding the right "fit" at a particular shop (and hence why they tend to move around a lot....).....I really gained an appreciation for the sub-culture that is developing here in DC......not to get sappy about it, but these are true artisans and we're fortunate to have a burgeoning community of them!

Today my coffee peregrinations took me, where else, Peregrine! The shop is on 7th, just north of Pennsylvania Ave., SE (don't be fooled by the Pennsylvania Ave. address). Decor is ultra-modern, reminding me just a tad of a frozen yogurt shop......but I think that's just my personal preference for dim lighting and moth-eaten sofas over bright lights and hard surfaces. No couches or easy chairs here- -no restrictions on electronics that I could see- -quite bustle-y this morning....barista's very friendly and accomodating (even when I found myself asking to charge my $2.35 espresso when I realized I was tapped out). Had a yogurt (same full-fat brand that seems to populate these places, I've forgotten yet again what it is....) and a nonfat cappucino (as I wanted some VOLUME to sip while I read). My drink was beautifully prepared and the espresso rich and smooth (marked contrast from the overpoweringly sour flavor of Sidamo's), but temp-wise was a little on the cool side..... The combination of my book ("Blood, Bones and Butter") being fascinating and the MUSIC in the shop being so cool (Got to hear Elvis Costello's "Living in Paradise" and Clash's "Lost in the Supermarket" one after the other) caused me to want to settle in a bit so (after swallowing my pride and asking if I could charge 2 bucks...) I got an espresso. Served with a little glass of water, it was (as are the shots pulled in all the artisanal places) small in volume....every bit as rich and smooth and comforting on its own as it was blended into the cappucino. Very very pleasant shot of coffee. Tomorrow, thinking of trying either the new Pound (right around the corner from Peregrine) or Filter up in DuPont.

not to get sappy about it, but these are true artisans and we're fortunate to have a burgeoning community of them!

Co-sign. I don't really know any of the community but I can definitely tell the difference when I get a quality shot. I head to Chinatown when I absolutely, positively need a good espresso. Sadly, my experience at Sidamo mirrors yours. Have you tried Sova yet?

No but just checked it out online and will head there later this week!- -who would've known 5 years ago it would be tough to keep up with all the cool espresso places opening in DC- -it's quite wonderful.

One other note (not sure if covered in any thread previously)........the barista I met at Big Bear yesterday told me I must try Grumpy Coffee in NYC and that, among other reasons to go, it would be worth it to see this newfangled "Clover" machine they have- -according to her the only one in NYC? Hard to believe....... but anyhow, I just checked it out online and found this. http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/magazine/16-08/mf_clover Looks quite funky (though a bit gadgety I guess....).

Co-sign. I don't really know any of the community but I can definitely tell the difference when I get a quality shot. I head to Chinatown when I absolutely, positively need a good espresso. Sadly, my experience at Sidamo mirrors yours. Have you tried Sova yet?

Follow KMango's suggestion upthread and head to the Grape + Bean in Old Town. Last time I checked, they had a Clover. Can't imagine they would get rid of it.

Unfortunately, rumor is that the G+B machine broke and they can't repair it due to the cost + the fact that Clover got purchased by Starbucks. The irony. There is Clover somewhere in Maryland. A sieve brew is just as decent as the Clover, minus the tech geek moment + the right water temperature. Cafe Grumpy is the name. See my post upthread.

PS. Still can't recall the roaster's name out in Colorado. Must do more research...

PPS. Just saw that Cafe Grumpy has their own in-house roaster since 2009. Must go for another trip...

This morning had the pleasure of getting my coffee at Chinatown Coffee - - really my favorite place so far - - arguably cleaner than Big Bear but more comfortable than the somewhat antiseptic Peregrine - - VERY nice and welcoming baristas and a truly well-pulled shot of espresso (which, as the atmosphere was so friendly and music so good (Arcade Fire, Destroyer), I followed with an equally good pour-over Kenyan). Only downside is parking, which is prohibited on H Street in during rush hour. Didn't have much trouble finding a spot around the corner, though. Tomorrow, Sova I think!

You are living the dream wlohmann!! Glad you liked Chinatown. If you try Tryst sometime, I would be keenly interested in your take (I have never been there and don't know anyone associated with it).

I find the coffee at Tryst/Open City to be literally undrinkably sour/bitter. Awful. Worst coffee I've ever had. Wouldn't buy an espresso drink from them based on their acidic coffee.

I find the coffee at Tryst/Open City to be literally undrinkably sour/bitter. Awful. Worst coffee I've ever had. Wouldn't buy an espresso drink from them based on their acidic coffee.

I wanted to add that I have had decent coffee here, but yes, it's not consistent and their coffee has made my stomach churn. I want to also note that they use Counter Culture coffee here. Hence my point upthread. Interesting. I do know from others that CC takes the time to train the baristas who use their coffee intensively, so I am not sure why it's inconsistent here versus the other DMV coffeehouses/cafes that uses their roasts.

Today, Sova....on what seems like one of the real happening blocks of H Street....a few doors down from the Atlas Performing Arts Center and the Rock n Roll Hotel music venue.....quite a nice space....coffee bar downstairs, wine bar upstairs........owner seems a nice guy doing exciting things........this is another place that "splits the difference" between modern and shiny and tattered and home-y.........my barista could not have been nicer- -working here at Sova while in an anthropology-related internship for the Smithsonian.......nothing overly special about the coffee....Intelligentsia, I think.......ground and pulled to order but without an artisanal approach (and honestly, that's okay!).........I think my caffeine tolerance is building these last couple weeks so did sample both a double espresso and a cappucino....both very tasty and workmanlike in preparation...........really vibrant atmosphere in the shop as the local Ward 6 councilmember was having a "meet the constituents" event and his staff was on hand awaiting his arrival.....so I was able to have a really interesting discussion with the staffers about Ward 6 (which is huge, comprising all the way from the SE waterfront to all of SW up to H Street and way over toward the Convention Center in NW....all four quadrants represented.......another lovely morning.......H Street still awfully beat up with the light rail construction but seems there is light at end of that tunnel and there will be no stopping that district once the construction finally finishes.

Keep 'em coming wlohmann!

One place that I don't quite get is M.E. Swings, I know it has alot of fans. Just doesn't match my sensibilities, tastes over-roasted for me (at least the house coffee I've had there).

I've always wanted to hit Peets, but not sure if I can get into Georgetown Law as a mere civilian to try it. If I could hit that in the morning, eat Senate Bean Soup in the afternoon, and enjoy a daiquiri at the Army and Navy Club in the early evening, that would be quite the eventful day for me!

I like the VIBE of Swings- -feels like stepping into a time machine........but have only ever used theit coffee to warm my hands on the cup as I walked to an event!

I say go for it at the Law Center! They're nice folks over there.

FILTER tomorrow, I think!!

W

Keep 'em coming wlohmann!

One place that I don't quite get is M.E. Swings, I know it has alot of fans. Just doesn't match my sensibilities, tastes over-roasted for me (at least the house coffee I've had there).

I've always wanted to hit Peets, but not sure if I can get into Georgetown Law as a mere civilian to try it. If I could hit that in the morning, eat Senate Bean Soup in the afternoon, and enjoy a daiquiri at the Army and Navy Club in the early evening, that would be quite the eventful day for me!

I like the VIBE of Swings- -feels like stepping into a time machine........but have only ever used theit coffee to warm my hands on the cup as I walked to an event!

I say go for it at the Law Center! They're nice folks over there.

FILTER tomorrow, I think!!

W

and, Filter verdict, wlohmann? Inquiring minds want to know--especially inquiring minds who've already revealed their sentiments :-)

The morning after my maiden voyage to KOMI, I wanted to keep the culinary exploration magic going. I took a 30 minute detour from my regular commute to head to the Georgetown Law Center for some Peet's. For the record, you have to enter the main building on the 2nd Street side -- I spent a good 10 minutes wandering New Jersey Avenue and the law school courtyard before a kind soul pointed me in the right direction. I signed in at the front desk, headed to the basement and into the food court.

Now, following up anything with KOMI (yes, I'm still bragging that I went) and expecting it to shine is rather foolish. Still, I was a bit disappointed when I approached the coffee counter and the first thing I saw was instructions attached to the espresso machine on how to measure and pull a shot. Fundamentals are important, sure, but I got the impression that the machine isn't used too often. A large drip Costa Rican it was, then. (I skipped the "House Blend" for being too generic and the "Major Dickason's Blend" as too weird, apologies to the Dickasons if they're reading).

Eh. The coffee was fine. Above average with decent acidity, which is fine for the law students, but not really worth visiting the cafe for, which is probably also fine for the hyper-studious law students who want to hoard the tables. Especially with Chinatown Coffee so close and so much more convenient.

haha, I used to do the same thing with Starbuck's coffee when I didn't have gloves for the winter! Their coffee is somehow 10 degrees hotter than anyone else's.

Oh, sorry DaRiv!! My explorations of the local coffee scene were broken up by some travel in recent weeks (watch for reviews of Le Comptoir and La Verre Vole' in Paris coming soon!) and I never did GET to Filter OR Dolcezza! Soon I hope.

But........relevant to this thread, when in Paris earlier this week, I had a chance to stop for espresso at "Cafeotheque", one of two artisanal coffee shops mentioned in a (relatively) recent NY Times article about the emerging coffee culture in Paris (led by a former Murky/Mid-City barista David Flynn!) (see link below).

Anyhow, David works at Le Bal in Paris, one of the two places cited in the article and I enjoyed some TOP NOTCH espresso and a nice chat with him on my last visit.

This time, my daughter (who, lucky girl, is studying in Paris this semester), ducked quickly into the PACKED AND BUZZING Cafeotheque (which is right along the Seine on Quai de Hotel de Ville near the Marais). There wasn't an empty seat in the house, very young/student-ish crowd chatted noisily, and the roaster was cranking away adding further to the atmosphere. In typical Parisian convolution, one must bypass the counter to get to the actual coffee bar in the back to order, then backtrack, tell the proprietor what you ordered, and pay. They do espresso to go (quite unusual as to ANY coffee in Paris other than Sbux) and I enjoyed mine very much. Ground and pulled with great care. Roasted on the premises- -and unlike my Swings experience noted above, it warmed both my hands AND my soul as I walked toward the river sipping it.

W

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/ristretto-paris-coffee-improving-sort-of/

Has anyone consistently tried Rappahanock Coffee Roasters before?

I went into the Columbia Pike's store, and felt like the person helping me was not really knowledgable. I bought some beans, which has resulted in a smoky, burnt taste when brewed (not happy about that) hot, but tasted/smelled fine when I made it into a java shake this morning.

I read on Yelp! that it used to be better and with different owners, but could not find anything here.

This morning, in need of renewal to start the week, I visited one of my favorites from my travels, Chinatown Coffee Company.......and it reasserted itself at the top of my list.........parking is easy right on 6th Street.....a nuisance to fish for quarters but some hyperconservative parker who preceded me left me 20 minutes.......shop was bustling but not crazy...........what has struck me and struck me today is the relaxed and casual friendliness of the staff.....when I ordered my espresso, I was treated with a really helpful description of the two offerings (Black Cat and Honey Badger)........I knew I had 20 full minutes so I tried one and then the other....both lovely (and darned if the Honey Badger) didn't resound first on the front of my tongue then smooth out into the back of my mouth as promised (power of suggestion?).....little shot of mineral water to go with each shot of espresso.....took a pic as I looked west on H Street toward the Chinatown Gate....see if I can't attach it below.......really cannot recommend this place enough....

p.s., no luck attaching image. W

From my limited understanding, it's as if all the action takes place in the blending and roasting stage, and afterwards it is only a question of how much can you mess it up.

After a shot at Chinatown Coffee yesterday, I have a different view. I don't think all the action takes place in the blending and roasting stage, but it still seems to me afterwards that is only a question of how much you mess it up.

I ordered a double shot. The barista suggested that I try the bean du jour (it escapes me now) instead of the stalwart Black Cat. Sure. As she served my shot to me, she said, "Let me know if you don't like this, I can pull another shot for you." With words like that, how can one not be super-critical? I tasted it and it did seem bitter and sour, so I took her up on her offer. We got into a conversation as I sipped the second shot (much better extraction, a very bright varietal) about how she has to adjust the machine settings for a different bean than the Black Cat, how to dose a different portion than the Black Cat, etc. That conversation included how she has to make different adjustments depending on the weather, the humidity, etc.

Just wanted to acknowledge that I ignored how intricate their craft is in my original comment, and how hard it is to deliver a consistent product with so many variables.

I heart Heart. And, yes, for a change I am posting in the correct thread!

As we've all written about a lot on dr, there has been a real renaissance of fine, independent coffee spots in DC over the past few years.

A Great Thing.

Chinatown Coffee is just one of many great spots now around the city, in MD and in VA.

Chinatown, of course, has its roots partly in the ill-fated but delicious Murky Coffee, formerly of Capitol Hill and Arlington.

Anyway, to the point of my first line about Heart.

Most of the better coffee shops around town source from Counter Culture, Intelligentsia, Stumptown or a few others like Ritual or Ceremony.

Chinatown now has an excellent, excellent Guatemalan called "Puerto Verde" for pour overs, french press or bean sales. I was very excited when I saw it listed; and when I tasted it.

Heart is one of my favorite roasters/retailers in the country. They're Portland (OR) based and, if you're in PDX, I'd strongly recommend a visit to one of the 1 or 2 Heart shops there if you're into coffee.

Heart is all about the "what" and the "how."

"What" is coffee roasted with exceptional expertise, knowledge, care and passion in shops that are the beans' equal for design, technology and warmth, attracting folks who really love and appreciate coffee. "How" refers to wonderful business practices and focus on their role in the community, contributing to (leading even) a humble, caring and amazingly good coffee culture in Portand and beyond. One can sense this from their products and their website and even the baristas who staff their Portland shops.

Last year, one of the two Heart shops, the one on Burnside, had a fire. It took months to rebuild and, during that time, they operated from a stand just beside the destroyed store with help from others across the city.

All that aside, Heart is a fantastic small company that knows its way around coffee beans like few others in the United States. If you like great coffee, do yourself a favor and head to Chinatown Coffee on H St NW here in DC to get some beans or a cup of their newest Guatemalan. If you do, I predict you'll heart Heart too!

Had a great mocha here the other day. One of the best in the city, easily.

Also, as far as the bean discussion goes, I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned Blue Bottle. Easily the best coffees that I've ever tried, including all of the above, and easy online ordering. Vigilante also deserves very high praise, they're local, put out great products, and treat their people well.

Also, as far as the bean discussion goes, I'm not sure why nobody has mentioned Blue Bottle. Easily the best coffees that I've ever tried, including all of the above, and easy online ordering. Vigilante also deserves very high praise, they're local, put out great products, and treat their people well.

I've mentioned Blue Bottle. More than once. Probably in the Grape + Bean thread, because it's the only place I know of that sells it locally. They always have Three Africans and Bella Donovan. Their shipments arrive Friday afternoons, iirc. You're welcome.

edit: also here

Had a great mocha here the other day. One of the best in the city, easily.

Blue Bottle does make excellent coffee but they have virtually no presence here in DC save Grape + Bean. Bit odd since they're roasting in Brooklyn and new roasters are coming into this market rapidly. They have a big following on the west coast and in/around NYC. I'd like to see them compete here.

I'm not ready to praise Vigilante too much yet. That's not at all a ding. Just think the jury's still out. Is impressive how quickly they've won shelf space with some key deals including the pop-up with the yogurt shop, a few restaurants including good ones like Room 11 and, perhaps biggest of all, the partnership with Erik Bruner-Yang's new place Maketto profiled in yesterday's Food Section.

I've mentioned Blue Bottle. More than once. Probably in the Grape + Bean thread, because it's the only place I know of that sells it locally. They always have Three Africans and Bella Donovan. Their shipments arrive Friday afternoons, iirc. You're welcome.

edit: also here

So many threads, so little time... :-)

Thanks for the info. That'll definitely be a stop in the future.

The jury is definitely still out on Vigilante, but everything I've had of theirs has been solid to awesome. I'm excited to see what they'll bring to their upcoming H st space. Also, all of the people that I've met that work there are great.

After a few (several?) month absence, Heart is back at Chinatown. Great roaster not often seen around these parts. Today had (and then bought a bag of) a Columbian that was excellent. One other Heart coffee with vitals I've forgotten was there also.

Karenge (Rwanda). A somewhat lighter roast resulting in a nicely balanced cup. Thanks for the tip!

Checked out the new H Street Wal-Mart today out of morbid curiosity.  Upon exiting, decided that visiting the closest independent coffee house would be just as cleansing as (and much more convenient than) heading home for a hot shower.

Double shot espressos are still one of the best in the city for me.  I dig the clientele here too, a broader mix of neighborhoody/office/student/hipster than I've found elsewehere.  Shop small, everyone!

• Like 2