Technically, you could go at 11:00-11:15 and you wouldn't have to worry about a table. It's understandable that you want to accomodate the group's size but bear in mind that at 1pm the selection may not be as great as it is earlier on and the kitchen probably won't roll out new, fresh items.

I'm only saying this 'cause it'd be a shame to organize this and then have a limited selection of items.

NOTE: With Oriental East and Silver Fountain, I'd *highly* recommend adjusting the time to go earlier...

Edited to add: Not trying to be a dim sum diva or anything, my intentions are for everyone to get the best experience and I'd just hate to see a group of foodies show up to a restaurant and be greeted with 4 carts of the same dim sum that's been rotating around the restaurant since noon....

Edited by Gastro888

That's China Garden. I've never been, but have heard that it's quite good.

Guess we'll have to do a NoVa dim sum comparo as well, once we recover from the MontCo one.

China garden is really good with a nice selection of dishes off the many carts. The place does cater to large Chinese group tour buses so the wait can be long from about 12:30-2

Damn job is getting in the way of reading all the threads. grrrrrrr

Daniel let me know what you all were up to over here and I thought I would step in and get things a bit more organized. Also there is a good chance that there are others who have not read the thread but would like to join you.

It sounds like the first meeting of the DonRockwell Dim Sum Die Hards is going to take place Sunday, September 25th at China Garden. I suggest 1pm because of those who attend church but would like to join in. The every other week idea is a good one, especially since it doesn't clash with the picnic :lol:

It has been years since I last had great dim sum so if the time is off please let me know.

I'll start a thread this weekend once someone confirms the date and location(Daniel?). My suggestion is that dim sum discussion continues here but the planning of each meeting is done on a separate thread just as we do with the $20 Tuesdays.

Let me know if you plan on attending the inaugural meeting :P

It sounds like the first meeting of the DonRockwell Dim Sum Die Hards is going to take place Sunday, September 25th at China Garden. 

I think we said that the first meeting was going to be Good Fortune, right? China Garden is in NoVa somewhere, and I think we decided to knock off the Mont. Co. places first...

(edited to add) Oh, and count me in.

Edited by DanielK

Mark's Duck House isn't in Montgomery County.  But any place that is Robert Parker's favorite must be pretty good.

Note on Robert Parker's commentary on Mark's Duck House -- as I recall, he raved about the Peking Duck and not the Dim Sum. Having been to MDH for Dim Sum, I have to say that, while it was good, I think a shorter trip (from DC) to Hunan Number One in Arlington (corner of Clarendon Blvd and N. Garfield) offers better steamed dumplings and other standard DS fare in a quieter, cooler, cleaner place. I see the appeal of Mark's but it's a crazy place on Sundays, especially with a large group.

Edited by Camille-Beau

You can also try the dim sum at Dragon Star in Eden Center.

Although, my previous warning about ordering Chinese in a Vietnamese restaurant does apply...

Oh yeah, and no self-respecting Chinese person would want to eat dim sum in a quiet restaurant. Quiet = no crowds and no crowds = bad food. Ick. The best dim sum restaurants are always lively and full of people.

Eegads, try suggesting that to a group of a Chinese people. You'd get laughed at... :lol:

Edited by Gastro888

Oh yeah, and no self-respecting Chinese person would want to eat dim sum in a quiet restaurant.  Quiet = no crowds and no crowds = bad food.  Ick.  The best dim sum restaurants are always lively and full of people. 

Eegads, try suggesting that to a group of a Chinese people.  You'd get laughed at... :lol:

Duly noted -- I did say quieter, not necessarily quiet, but excellent point :P

Duly noted -- I did say quieter, not necessarily quiet, but excellent point :D

Ok, good point, quieter is easier to have conversations and whatnot but that would be like BdC actually having space between its tables. :D

:lol: This would be the look you'd get from Chinese people about anything quiet when it comes to good, authentic dim sum! (hee hee) I equate it to a quiter/quiet Greek taverna. Ain't happenin' if it's the real deal! :P

Was conversing with some folks over dinner. It was agreed that I should throw out some clarification of a dish at dim sum =D. Pineapple custard buns do not contain pineapple. It's a reference to the look of the cookie crust that is on top, which looks a bit scored in the way that a pineapple does. That's why it's called a pineapple bun. They're one of my favorite sweet dim sum treats.

I tried a search for dim sum, and despite my knowing for a fact that it has been discussed in at least one thread, the searcher came up with nothing -- nothing! I have been hungry for dim sum for a while -- not having had it since I was a vegetarian in Chicago -- and particularly craving the radish cakes. So where's the best dim sum in the area? Location of preference being VA, DC, MD (with Bethesda/Rockville first).

TIA!

---------------

The following posts have been moved into separate threads:

New Fortune (perrik)

Oriental East (ema)

Edited by DonRocks

I tried a search for dim sum, and despite my knowing for a fact that it has been discussed in at least one thread, the searcher came up with nothing -- nothing! I have been hungry for dim sum for a while -- not having had it since I was a vegetarian in Chicago -- and particularly craving the radish cakes. So where's the best dim sum in the area? Location of preference being VA, DC, MD (with Bethesda/Rockville first).

TIA!

I think my favorite is Fortune in Falls Church, in front/next to the home depot. Love the roasted chix, roasted pig and very good noodles. I like the radish cake at A&J and HEOTB, but the thing I don't like about HEOTB is that their selections vary to much and I had less of a good time the second time we went. I went to the one in Baileys Crossroad, Lucky Three, once. To much shrimp derived stuff ie(shrimp dumplings, shrimp and eggplant, fried shrimp, fried shrimp balls, just on and on. In fairness I have heard that they have improved but I am still wary.

I vacillate in any given week between deciding that New Fortune is the best, or that Hollywood East is back in front.

Oriental East is somewhere back, as is Silver Fountain (Aspen Hill).

None of the NoVa places (Fortune, Mark's Duck House, China Garden, Lucky 3) I have tried measure up to NF and HECOTB.

From the Nov 2007 Hedonist's Gazette. For the record I have been to Marks with Parker and I am biased.
Many observers believe Lai Wah Heen offers the finest Dim Sum in North America, and while I would put the best from Virginia’s Mark’s Duck House against it, there is really no need to compare the two
I have no doubt that the dim sum at Lai Wah Heen is amazing and possibly the best in NA. I just wish I could afford it. At an average price of $7 per item, it'll cost about $100 per person for a good meal (with wine, tax, and tip). I contrast that with Yiu Wah (on Dundas) or Rol San (on Spadina) where items are a more reasonable $2 per item. And then there's the countless places that have popped up in Scarborough, Markham, and north Etobicoke that I have yet to try. I'm sure there are dozens of gems there.

Again, not doubting that Lai Wah Heen has the best to offer this side of the Pacific. I just think you need to keep the price in perspective when comparing to a place like Mark's (which gets featured every year in the Washingtonian's Cheap Eats section).

I've been to Mark's Duck House twice, and have been underwhelmed. What am I missing that people find so great - I can name a handful of places in the DC area alone that I believe are far better, so how is this considered one of the finest in the country?

Marketing........

Having Parker eat there does not hurt either

I much prefer MDH for dinner, not for Dim Sum.

I've been to Mark's Duck House twice, and have been underwhelmed. What am I missing that people find so great - I can name a handful of places in the DC area alone that I believe are far better, so how is this considered one of the finest in the country?

I don't know if I can name ones in the area that are better, but I do agree that MDH def has problems with consistency. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I far prefer what I've had on the West Coast. And for some reason, when we went the weekend before they went on summer vacation the dim sum was especially good. And that's when you expect they'd run out of things or be trying to clear out their kitchen.

I would also say timing is everything. You really have to hit the weekend places at a prime time - usually 11am and sit near the starting path of the carts if you can. If some stuff doesn't look good coming out on the carts a.k.a. sitting there, ask them if they can get it to you directly from the kitchen. Usually works.

And in the case of New Fortune, 7 days a week from the carts (selection is less on weekdays).
And in the case of HEOTB, 7 days a week from the menu (though I suspect there are many specials that are missing from the menu, but it's still pretty extensive. Oriental East has a limited dim sum menu 7 days a week).

And in the case of HEOTB, 7 days a week from the menu (though I suspect there are many specials that are missing from the menu, but it's still pretty extensive. Oriental East has a limited dim sum menu 7 days a week).

Every time I've been there on a Sunday (what other day would I possibly want to go) they have carts and servers walking around with trays.

Want to give my favorite food a bump.

I live in Virgina, therefore haven't made the hour drive to Maryland for dim sum yet. I have tried China Garden, Fortune, and MDH. China Garden is my favorite. Easy parking, large bright banquet room that gets filled up fast on the weekend, good variety, and lots of carts going around providing fresh food. The only item I didn't like was the Radish cake, which was too mushy. Fortune was decent, although the ladies who push the cards were overly aggressive and wanted you to get everything. MDH was the most disappointing of the bunch. I don't understand the hype and the long line of wait for dim sum. Its possible that it used to be very good, but now just stays in business due to its reputation. The restaurant is dark and dingy. The dim sum didn't taste fresh, which was really weird for a restaurant this busy. It seemed like the same 3 carts carrying old dim sum were making the round over and over. I tried the suckling roast pig, a weekend special, but the skin was barely crispy. A big no no for roast pig. MDH's smallest table seats four people, however, if you come here alone or with one other person expect the hostess to seat every 4 people party before you. I had to wait 45 min once, and only got seated because a bunch of people and I complained that several 4 people parties who arrived late got seated before us.

I live in Virgina, therefore haven't made the hour drive to Maryland for dim sum yet.

Where in Virginia do you live?!?

It's no more than 15 minutes from the MD/VA state line on 495 (American Legion bridge) to either New Fortune in Gaithersburg or Hollywood East Cafe on the Boulevard in Wheaton. You'd have to be really, really far away from DC for it to take an hour to get there, in which case you're already driving quite a distance to get to China Garden. It's worth the extra few minutes - the quality difference is substantial.

I live in Alexandria.
So do I ema, and I agree, it is a haul (a good 45 minutes one way) to get over to some of the good dim sum places in Silver Spring/Gaithersburg/Wheaton. Mainly for that reason, I don't get to them very often. I (and I'd bet others) would be up for a Virginia Sum Dim Sunday outing. We've done them at Fortune, Lucky Three, MDH, and China Garden (which wasn't a hit at the time, though that was probably around 2 years ago).

I just wish it was a little faster to get to Hollywood East, etc. Cruising the Beltway or 270 isn't how I like to spend my Sundays :lol:

I have tried China Garden, Fortune, and MDH. China Garden is my favorite. Easy parking, large bright banquet room that gets filled up fast on the weekend, good variety, and lots of carts going around providing fresh food. The only item I didn't like was the Radish cake, which was too mushy. Fortune was decent, although the ladies who push the cards were overly aggressive and wanted you to get everything. MDH was the most disappointing of the bunch.
This is really funny because Fortune was the disappointing of the bunch you mentioned and MDH was the best, although it's been about a year since I've dim summed there. My first and only experience at Fortune consisted of cold, slimy dim sum with too much salt or MSG. I have no idea if it was an off-day, but certainly made me not trust that place at all, taking everything into consideration (tables, cleaning methods, dish appearance, cold food, service, etc...). Have to try both again soon.

So do I ema, and I agree, it is a haul (a good 45 minutes one way) to get over to some of the good dim sum places in Silver Spring/Gaithersburg/Wheaton. Mainly for that reason, I don't get to them very often. I (and I'd bet others) would be up for a Virginia Sum Dim Sunday outing. We've done them at Fortune, Lucky Three, MDH, and China Garden (which wasn't a hit at the time, though that was probably around 2 years ago).

I just wish it was a little faster to get to Hollywood East, etc. Cruising the Beltway or 270 isn't how I like to spend my Sundays :lol:

FWIW, especially on a Sunday, I would cut through the city to SS/Wheaton. You could easily shave 10 minutes off that commute.

I tried a search for dim sum, and despite my knowing for a fact that it has been discussed in at least one thread, the searcher came up with nothing -- nothing!
You were right Walrus! Here's the other thread.

So bears my question: NF, GF or Silver Fountain for tomorrow's meeting with friends outing?

You were right Walrus! Here's the other thread.

So bears my question: NF, GF or Silver Fountain for tomorrow's meeting with friends outing?

From those three, the clear winner IMO is New Fortune. GF has been abominable in recent years, and Silver Fortune was fine, but not the best.

On a good day, I think Hollywood East may top New Fortune, and definitely has better desserts, but NO BBQ! weighs heavily against them to me. Others seem to live Oriental East, but I thought it was not as good as NF and HE.

From those three, the clear winner IMO is New Fortune. GF has been abominable in recent years, and Silver Fortune was fine, but not the best.
Well, it turns out the friends wanted to go to GF after all, so I'll report back, I guess.... Will definitely try NF soon -- maybe someone wants to org. a Some Dim Sum Sunday here???

Well, it turns out the friends wanted to go to GF after all, so I'll report back, I guess.... Will definitely try NF soon -- maybe someone wants to org. a Some Dim Sum Sunday here???

Definitely report back, and good luck - GF was really near inedible the last time I was there.

We have done multiple Some Dim Sundays at New Fortune! Unfortunately, I can almost never go during the school year because of Hebrew School for my kids - the next Sunday I'm free is late June!

My first choice: Hollywood East on the Boulevard in Wheaton. Excellent mix of expertly-prepared old favorites (shu mai, shrimp dumplongs, taro dumplings, pork buns, and similar) and less frequently-found choices (abalone is very worthwhile). I believe that it opens at 10.30 am on Saturdays and Sundays.

Another good choice: Orient East in Silver Spring off East-West Highway. It has very little inside waiting space; get there well before opening at 11 am on weekends and be prepared to stand in line outdoors.

Off the beaten path and not traditional dim sum, but an interesting alternative: North China Restaurant in downtown Bethesda. Some good options from on the traditional Chinese appetizer section of the menu, served also as dim sum: chicken roll Taiwan style, roast duck, oyster pancake, oyster roll, five flavor beef, conch in red hot sauce, leek steamed dumplings (the only dumpling served). You can get these in North China's small dining room *at any time the restaurant is open" and (drum roll) can also have these delivered to your doorstep from 11.30 am until 10 pm within a four mile radius. Also try North China for a variety of other well-executed soup, noodle and rice options and for a variety of main dishes. This family-owned restaurant has quite a pedigree-- the owners originated Joe's Noodles, and the chef (the husband) was highly trained in China. Worth a visit to North China's website to read his bio.

Off the beaten path and not traditional dim sum, but an interesting alternative: North China Restaurant in downtown Bethesda.

Click here for the topic devoted to North China. A few recent group visits have found some nice dishes, but not a lot of exceptional ones, and a few misses. Certainly worth a visit if you're nearby.

It's a matter of taste. The youtiao here is bigger, a bit poofier and thus, slightly softer to the taste compared to the one at Great Wall, which is a bit crispier. The latter is the way my mom likes it, so she'll direct you to GW, but the other catch is that GW's food area doesn't sell the shaobing (flatbread).

Oriental Gourmet is worth trying, even if you're out in Tyson's.

How is their dim sum? Looking to bring a big group for dim sum on Monday, was thinking Hunan Number One (not the best but not bad last time I went, and very convenient), but according to Yelp they've had a change of management and gone hugely downhill, basically becoming a place to get beer very cheap). Oriental East would be very handy as well, but we could probably all go to Mark's Duck House in Falls Church, which I know is good.

How is their dim sum? Looking to bring a big group for dim sum on Monday, was thinking Hunan Number One (not the best but not bad last time I went, and very convenient), but according to Yelp they've had a change of management and gone hugely downhill, basically becoming a place to get beer very cheap). Oriental East would be very handy as well, but we could probably all go to Mark's Duck House in Falls Church, which I know is good.

Wouldn't know about Oriental East, as I was describing northern-style dim sum at the place in the Lee-Harrison center. I have heard from some of my Chinese friends that Oriental East is good, but I have not been there. If you read the Mark's Duck House thread, I think people complain about cold dishes that are supposed to be hot, but will be hot if you show up right when they open.

I have not had Cantonese dim sum for at least half a year, so is anyone up for a DSS soon?

I have not had Cantonese dim sum for at least half a year, so is anyone up for a DSS soon?

Well, I had a great one today with some friends, but it was at New Fortune, and you are not a fan of NF. :angry:

But until Hollywood East reopens (possibly this week?) I still maintain that NF is the best in the area.

Well, I had a great one today with some friends, but it was at New Fortune, and you are not a fan of NF.

What can I say? Esp. when I strike out at the "Fortune" where in FC and at New Fortune, I was the lucky recipient of cold, slimy shrimp chang fun. :-{ The post-memo after those experiences was to just eat fortune cookies from now on and not frequent them instead.... :^|

Wouldn't know about Oriental East, as I was describing northern-style dim sum at the place in the Lee-Harrison center. I have heard from some of my Chinese friends that Oriental East is good, but I have not been there. If you read the Mark's Duck House thread, I think people complain about cold dishes that are supposed to be hot, but will be hot if you show up right when they open.

yes!

Does someone have a list/guide of Dim Sum in the DC Metro area? I love Hollywood East Cafe, but it would be nice to know of other options. If I missed this somewhere on the site please move appropriately.

I've never seen such a list but would love to see one.

Here's what I know - Mark's Duck House (7 corners), Fortune (7 corners), China Garden (Rosslyn), Canton Cafe (Springfield), Sampan (Springfield).

Tony Cheng's (Chinatown).

I don't usually go to MD for dim sum so I'll let someone else chime in on those. Recently I've been to Mark's and Sampan. Mark's has more variety. Sampan is good enough that I'll go there every once in awhile but I don't think its' better than Mark's.

In MD, New Fortune (Gaithersburg), Silver Fountain (Aspen Hill), and Hollywood East (Wheaton).

Right now, that's the order I'd rank them, and I'd rank all of them above the NoVa ones that Eric mentions. Hollywood East used to be neck-and-neck with NF, but they haven't gotten back there yet after their recent reopening.

Oh, and you can look in the Some Dim Sunday topic to see the history of all the places a roving band of Rockweilers visited.

We usually go to these two restaurants. Oriental East is always our first choice but it's a hassle. If you're not their early, you have to wait forever for a table. Also, the queue that forms before opening gets ridiculously long so plan accordingly. When we don't want to deal with the hassle, we go to Good Fortune. It's relatively good for what it is which is dim sum in Montgomery County except the decor and the bathrooms are in need of a major update. I've been spoiled by the offerings of better skilled dim sum chefs in Flushing, NY so it's hard for me to say any dim sum is good in the DCMDVA area.

Oriental East Restaurant

www.orientaleast.com

1312 East West Highway

Silver Spring, MD (301) 547-8200

Good Fortune Chinese Restaurant

2646 University Boulevard West

Wheaton, MD (301) 929-8818