About 3 years ago, our Dim Sunday group went to Good Fortune.

The food was better at your average neighborhood buffet.

I went back once after, just to make sure it wasn't an isolated experience. Nope, this place is terrible.

Oriental East always has big lines, but I can't figure out why. It's not nearly as good as the other mentioned MoCo choices.

I only being to Oriental East once and I really liked the food there. It was ridiculously crowded and getting there 15 minutes before the restaurant opened was not good enough since all the people waiting outside can easily fill one and a half Oriental East. In order to get first seating when they open you have to be there 30 min before they open.

We went to Good Fortune a few months ago and it's average for MoCo. If I wanted dim sum where I didn't have to wait in line, I will reluctantly go there. The ease of parking and finding seats wins over fighting for better food depending on the company.

Oriental East puts out better quality food than Good Fortune but the lack of space and FOH/BOH management causes issues in terms of seating and serving. My main gripes with Oriental East are that you do have to queue up 30 minutes prior to opening and the food service is erratic. You'll have a wave of carts and then nothing circles the room for a good twenty minutes. Not a good thing.

In regards to who is in the kitchen, Oriental East's dim sum chef is the same one that's been working there for years since they opened in the original location across the plaza. Is he the best? Yes, for MoCo. His baked buns are pretty good.

I need to hit up the other places to find out how they are in terms of quality. The lack of decent Chinese food in the area makes me focus on Vietnamese instead. It's easier to find a decent bowl of pho than it is a well made ha gow (shrimp dumpling). Oh well.

In regards to who is in the kitchen, Oriental East's dim sum chef is the same one that's been working there for years since they opened in the original location across the plaza. Is he the best? Yes, for MoCo.

I understand that tastes vary, but I'm surprised to see people mentioning Oriental East as being higher in quality than New Fortune, Silver Fountain, and Hollywood East. I've never found that to be the case.

You can add Asian Delight to this list now. Just opened on 5/2 in the White Oak area of Silver Spring. It was good, probably lacking in variety if compared to HE and its likes. Enjoyed not having a line!

There are seafood in the tanks and the bathrooms are nice, new and clean.

Items are $2.95 for a small item and $3.75 for a medium item. The rest I don't remember right now. The little man and I had plenty o'leftovers and the total bill came to $28 (seemed a bit much, but aren't these the new trend pricings?).

Dim sum during the week by order; Saturday, Sundays and Holidays by cart.

Asian Delight

11305 Lockwood Drive

Silver Spring, MD 20904

I understand that tastes vary, but I'm surprised to see people mentioning Oriental East as being higher in quality than New Fortune, Silver Fountain, and Hollywood East. I've never found that to be the case.

True, tastes vary. I don't know what you consider good; the restaurants you mention as good really aren't given much thought as stellar dim sum places.

His reputation is that is the best (in MoCo) and the queue during the weekend speaks for itself. Yes, you can blame the size of the restaurant and management issues but there isn't a 30 person deep queue in front of either of the restaurants you mention.

You can add Asian Delight to this list now. Just opened on 5/2 in the White Oak area of Silver Spring. It was good, probably lacking in variety if compared to HE and its likes. Enjoyed not having a line!

There are seafood in the tanks and the bathrooms are nice, new and clean.

Items are $2.95 for a small item and $3.75 for a medium item. The rest I don't remember right now. The little man and I had plenty o'leftovers and the total bill came to $28 (seemed a bit much, but aren't these the new trend pricings?).

Dim sum during the week by order; Saturday, Sundays and Holidays by cart.

Asian Delight

11305 Lockwood Drive

Silver Spring, MD 20904

Thanks for the heads up! :lol: How was the ha gow?

My personal experience is that New Fortune and HE both have more varieties than Mark's (more savory dishes at New Fortune and more sweets at HE). I did not fully explore either restaurant but I'm also unable to concluded based on what I've had that either one is noticeably better. I really need to go back with a small group. I also need to check out Oriental East. Too bad dim sum isn't really good for your health... :lol:

True, tastes vary. I don't know what you consider good; the restaurants you mention as good really aren't given much thought as stellar dim sum places.

His reputation is that is the best (in MoCo) and the queue during the weekend speaks for itself. Yes, you can blame the size of the restaurant and management issues but there isn't a 30 person deep queue in front of either of the restaurants you mention.

There isn't a 30 person deep queue in front of New Fortune because they seat 400. Try going on Mother's Day or Chinese New Year. Hour wait for a table. But any other Saturday or Sunday, prime time, the place is full or nearly full. Hollywood East also always had big lines, though it remains to be seen if the crowds will come back to the new place.

And when you say "the restaurants you mention...aren't give much thought as stellar dim sum places" or "his reputation is that is the best", whom are you quoting? Certainly not this board, the mainstream media in the DC area, or any of the other food boards, for which the consensus pick has clearly been New Fortune and Hollywood East.

There isn't a 30 person deep queue in front of New Fortune because they seat 400. Try going on Mother's Day or Chinese New Year. Hour wait for a table. But any other Saturday or Sunday, prime time, the place is full or nearly full. Hollywood East also always had big lines, though it remains to be seen if the crowds will come back to the new place.

And when you say "the restaurants you mention...aren't give much thought as stellar dim sum places" or "his reputation is that is the best", whom are you quoting? Certainly not this board, the mainstream media in the DC area, or any of the other food boards, for which the consensus pick has clearly been New Fortune and Hollywood East.

I was referring to the Asian community at large.

Ha gow had these nice, plump shrimps compared to the minced kind that other places delivered. That was great. But the turnip cakes were a little on the mushy side.

Sounds almost too good to be true! Did they have anything else besides shrimp in the ha gow? Some places put a bit of bamboo shoots or water chestnuts.

Sorry to hear about the turnip cakes. A mushy turnip cake is a bad thing.

What items did you miss that weren't available on their dim sum carts?

Sounds almost too good to be true! Did they have anything else besides shrimp in the ha gow? Some places put a bit of bamboo shoots or water chestnuts.

Sorry to hear about the turnip cakes. What items did you miss that weren't available on their dim sum carts?

As for the har gow, I think it was only shrimp. But then again, I only like the plain ones--it's too weird to taste bamboo shoots or water chestnuts for me. There are a lot of items available, but I am no Kobaiyashi, unfortunately; they had all the typical fare one goes for, if this non-answer sort of answers your question....

At its old location, the waits at Hollywood East were often an hour or more at peak times in a restaurant far larger than Oriental East.

As far as how good it is, I lived for years nearby Monterrey Park in the LA area and HE ranked up with the typical big dim sum house with the best items being steamed dumpling/dishes and desserts. I don't think they were as good as the very best but still quite good. I simply don't think that Oriental East is that good based on two visits that never inspired more.

As far as general reputation, in the English versions of the Chinese press, HE has a stellar reputation as does OE. As far as Asian presence at HE, there was always a preponderance of Asian speaking customers at HE as at OE. I really can't say that one was overwhelmingly more "Asian" in their customer base.

Of course none of these places compare to Yank Sing or Golden Dragon or the place out on 19th in the Avenues in SF.

You interviewed every one of them?

I'm not trying to be a pest, but that's an amazing generalization that you've made, and one that I don't see supported by the (yes, Asian) crowds at New Fortune.

I did not say I interviewed every one of the Asian population but I know a fair number.

No, you're not trying to be a pest - you're just making a point to show that you're some sort of expert on dim sum and you know more about dim sum than I do.

Like many other foodie boards, this is a board where people post their opinions on food. Opinions are not fact and I've never stated my opinion as fact. This isn't a pissing contest, I'm not trying to make it one.

@Deangold: That's not fair to compare SF dim sum to MD dim sum. That's like comparing Kobe Bryant to a really good college basketball player in his second year! :lol:

Side note: I wish someone would invest the money needed into a real dim sum restaurant in the DC/MD/VA area. I wish there was a place that had fresh, piping hot, expertly made dim sum every day with great service. I wish I would get mustard, chile oil and XO sauce on the side without having to ask for them. I wish I could get Iron Goddess of Mercy tea instead of the swill that's normally served.

For traditional Hong Kong style from the carts, IMHO it's:

1. New Fortune (Gaithersburg)
  2. Hollywood East (Wheaton)
  3. Silver Fountain (Aspen Hill)

Hollywood East used to be probably the best, but hasn't hit it's previous heights yet after the reopening.

Ynak Sing in SF is my choice followed by any number of the huge places in Monterrey Park/San Gabriel which go up an down in quality depending on who has just stolen the best dim sum cooks crew.

My last meal at Hollywood East, while still showing them to be off their a game as enough good to warrent some quiet optimism. Very limited selection, no fancy desserts. If it was a first visit, I would have been less impressed but knowing what they are capable of, they seemed to have pulled back, and are trying to get it back together. We had maybe 7 items... 3 very good {sesame balls may have been fantastic but I was pretty stuffed by the time we got to them whoch may have tempered my enthusiasm. This was cart service and the restaurant was half full. 2 good, 2 not ready for prime time but probably on a par with those items most anywhere else I have tried.

Just a note: not a fan of New Fortune or East West. Have not tried the one in Aspen Hill. So for me, HE is still the champ, but working its way back into fighting trim after a long layoff!

New Fortune is my go-to here in the DC area as much because its the most convenient as the fact that it is pretty good. I haven't tried Hollywood East. I did just have a swoon worthy lunch at Yank Sing in SF on Wednesday though. YUM!! Would have been better if I hadn't been by myself so I could have tried more things.

Going in NoVa on Monday.

Mark's Duck House, Hong Kong Pearl, or Fortune? I read the threads on them, but there aren't any posts from the last couple years.

Thanks!

Edit: or China Garden in Rosslyn? That's actually much closer to us, and the more recent reviews seem to like it all right. MD is not an option, neither is going as far as Annandale.

I have one of these four in mind, but I'm not current enough to answer with confidence, as things might have changed since I last went. A couple of these, I would stay away from, based on my *outdated* knowledge - ask again on Sunday if you need emergency advice that's less than reliable.

Going in NoVa on Monday.

Mark's Duck House, Hong Kong Pearl, or Fortune? I read the threads on them, but there aren't any posts from the last couple years.

Edit: or China Garden in Rosslyn?

I can't comment on the ones you have, but if you're near Franconia check out the Sam Pan Cafe.  They have a separate Dim Sum menu (available anytime, anyday) and they also have more items listed on the regular menu that are not on the Dim Sum menu (a separate sheet of paper you mark down your choices on)

Our current favorite is Golden Hong Kong in Springfield. It's small, so the selection isn't great, but then things they do they do pretty well. My very (if atypically) picky kid even has several things she likes. And there's never a line at 11:45 or so when we get there.

It's been a couple of years since we've been to any of the seven corners places. We did really like Hong Kong pearl when it opened, but it definitely went down hill after a year or two. We then switched back to Fortune, but found that we only really liked the fried stuff, and I'd rather have good steamed things, in general. We also used to be regulars at China garden, but after 2 or 3 of the worst dim sum experiences ever, we gave up (this was about 5 years ago, so could easily be different now).

I have one of these four in mind, but I'm not current enough to answer with confidence, as things might have changed since I last went. A couple of these, I would stay away from, based on my *outdated* knowledge - ask again on Sunday if you need emergency advice that's less than reliable.

Hong Kong Pearl is solid.  For a much less traditional experience, have you tried Maketto's dim sum?

• Like 1

Please report back on your experience at Mark's.  I've heard bad things in recent years so I've never gone.

I was at Fortune for my milestone birthday January of last year on a Saturday and it was fine.  Can't speak to a weekday experience.

I went to China Garden in the summer for dinner and it was awful.  If their pan-fried meat dumplings are indicative of their dimsum, don't go.  They were the worst dumplings I have ever had - the meat inside tasted like it had turned.  The waiter was surprised we didn't want to take the remainder home in a doggy bag.  I should have said:  taste it and you will understand why.

I was at Hong Kong Pearl for the first time on New Years for dim sum and it was very good.  It has been years since I've been to Fortune, but it had gone downhill based on that visit.  China Garden is ok.  Planning to go back to Hong Kong Pearl soon to verify first impressions.  It had enough non-shrimp, non-pork for Mrs. rbh to eat so that's always a plus also.

• Like 1

We dim sum with several families on a bimonthly basis, and we always do HKP.

I took my Chinese in laws to Mark's several years ago and they seated us next to a fish tank with a entree specimen floating lifelessly. So much for scoring cultural points with new family.

• Like 1

I took my Chinese in laws to Mark's several years ago and they seated us next to a fish tank with a entree specimen floating lifelessly. So much for scoring cultural points with new family.

Ownership has changed twice in the last 8 years. One of the waitstaff took it over a couple of years ago, and has made steady improvements.

• Like 2

At Mark's yesterday, the dim sum was tasty and the group was happy with it. My son had a small order of duck and didn't love the amount of meat on it (not that much on the bones, he said), but he didn't eat the drumstick, which might have been meatier.

We particularly liked a scallop dim sum (in a wrapper thicker than har gow, maybe closer to a shiu mai wrapper though not shaped like that). They had abalone also but we didn't get that. There was a nice sort of triangular fried or baked one with pork inside that was good and unusual (for me) - it flaked a little like pastry, so I think it was baked and maybe then had an egg-wash to make it shiny.

The turnip cakes were good but I would have preferred them to be served hotter.  True of a few of the things we had, though we had a big group and a lot of food, so it's possible some things may have been on the lazy susan for a while before I got them.

Carts kept rolling by and I think things were fresh though I'm no expert.

The bok choy wasn't as good as I've had elsewhere - a little overcooked maybe (but not much, the large end still crunched).

They tended to put things on our table while they were asking, instead of pointing and asking if we wanted them, and while I said no to a few things and they took them off the table, we did end up with more than we finished (I've never left a har gow behind before [can you say "a har gow," or is it plural?], and they were great but I was stuffed). But we didn't end up with anything we had said no to, and I think it's just that this style of serving led to me to overestimate more than if I'd only pointed to things we wanted (which I did some of as well).

They were responsive when we asked if certain things were being served (har gow, duck, sesame balls, pineapple buns) and when I considered the broccoli, they asked about bok choy and I said yes, so they were good at responding to customers and suggesting some things. Someone walked by while we were talking about duck, in fact, and he stopped and said, "Duck? You want duck?", so I was pleased with the waitstaff's responsiveness.

We made a reservation b/c we had one person who couldn't stand and wait (though we probably wouldn't have needed to on a Monday). Not all dim sum places take reservations (the last time I checked), so this was a plus for us.

Overall it was good and I'd go back, but I think next time we'll try Hong Kong Pearl if folks will do that.

• Like 3

I was at Hong Kong Pearl for the first time on New Years for dim sum and it was very good.  It has been years since I've been to Fortune, but it had gone downhill based on that visit.  China Garden is ok.  Planning to go back to Hong Kong Pearl soon to verify first impressions.  It had enough non-shrimp, non-pork for Mrs. rbh to eat so that's always a plus also.

That's very useful info since my son doesn't eat pork. Thanks!

There was a nice sort of triangular fried or baked one with pork inside that was good and unusual (for me) - it flaked a little like pastry, so I think it was baked and maybe then had an egg-wash to make it shiny.

[can you say "a har gow," or is it plural?]

Did the pork dimsum have roast pork inside.  Did it look like this?

c5f64d5a671bff6eef560ff545658fc7.jpg

If so, I've seen them called roast pork croissants or roast pork puffs.  They also have them at Fortune Seafood and they are my favorite dimsum.

Chinese does not have a different ending for plural so har gow is singular or plural.  Context tells you which it is.

• Like 1

Did the pork dimsum have roast pork inside.  Did it look like this?

c5f64d5a671bff6eef560ff545658fc7.jpg

If so, I've seen them called roast pork croissants or roast pork puffs.  They also have them at Fortune Seafood and they are my favorite dimsum.

Chinese does not have a different ending for plural so har gow is singular or plural.  Context tells you which it is.

They didn't have sesame seeds on the top, but otherwise looked like that! Yes, roast pork inside.

I don't know if it was more like a weekend day - federal holidays are usually when we go to dim sum (tradition w/these friends going back two decades, though nowadays it ends up being once a year or so). The place was not packed - it was emptier than I expected, but probably fuller than a standard Monday at 10:30.

was at Hong Kong Palace on Monday.  Definitely not as busy as on New Year's Day.  The side room was closed and the room was maybe a third full around 1230p, so it also seems to not be as busy as a weekend.  They advertise that they do push cart 7 days a week.  The variety on Monday seemed to be about the same as it was on New Year's.  I do need to go back to Mark's and a couple of the other places to compare, but HKP is definitely solid.

Genevieve - among the non-pork options, besides the usual shrimp-based options are veggie noodles, singapore rice noodles, braised octopus and fried squid... the string beans at HKP are particularly tasty.

• Like 1

Just had lunch at a fairly new Chinese restaurant aptly named "Dim Sum". It's in the shopping plaza at Gaither Rd and Shady Grove Rd in what used to be the Hunan Palace. They serve dim sum all day and have other items on their menu including multiple variants of congee. Ordered off a menu for late Friday lunch, but it sounds like they have carts that go around on Saturday and Sunday lunchtime. Had several standard items (Sui Mai, BBQ pork buns, shrimp rice noodles, bean curd wraps, shrimp chive du pings). All pretty tasty and piping hot as they were made to order.

Service was pretty standard although there was an issue with them not realizing my credit card is a Chip & Pin, not chip & signature and telling me that my card had been declined.

I've been to Hong Kong Pearl many times, but all on weekdays.  I thought they're so bad that I no longer go there, but I kept hearing they're good on weekends.  So I went today, 1 day in advance of Chinese New Year.  The place was packed, but the food still wasn't any good.  They seem to specialize in oversize misshapen dumplings (especially their shrimp dumpling and siu mai).  I can now safely write this place off for good.  

• Like 1