CityZen, at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel - 2008 James Beard Award Winner Eric Ziebold - Closed Dec 7, 2014

Had the tasting menu last month, about a week or two after they reopened. All of it was wonderful, but my two favorites were the eggplant ravioli (loved the olive crumbs) and veal carpaccio (lots of different elements here, but it came together in a very subtle, clean and delicious way).

Does anyone know if they’ve transitioned to a fall menu yet? The website still lists summer courses, and I regretted missing some of the three-course options on my last visit.

Had the tasting menu last month, about a week or two after they reopened. All of it was wonderful, but my two favorites were the eggplant ravioli (loved the olive crumbs) and veal carpaccio (lots of different elements here, but it came together in a very subtle, clean and delicious way).

Does anyone know if they’ve transitioned to a fall menu yet? The website still lists summer courses, and I regretted missing some of the three-course options on my last visit.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your last menu at CityZen, but yes we are well into our transition to the next menu. It seems this year the weather turned pretty fast. The vegetarian tasting finished its makeover two nights ago. The last dish left on the tasting menu will be changing on Tuesday, and the prix fixe menu should be turned over by the end of the week pending availability of a couple of products. In theory the new menu should be up on the website by the end of next week. If I knew how to attach something here I would include a link but my IT ability is still in the mid-'90's, but you can email me if you'd like to see the menu prior to making a reservation. EZiebold@mohg.com

Eric

So this will be my first post as I would like to introduce myself to the community.

I have replaced the irreplaceable Amanda Cook as pastry chef at CityZen and Sou'Wester. She left me some big shoes to fill but I am more than up to the task.

Coming to DC from Cafe Boulud, I am humbled and honored to work for such a great chef in Eric. My goal is to elevate his cuisine and the dining experience at CityZen by staying true to the wonderful ingredients, myself and the restaurant. CityZen is one of those restaurants, to me, that sets the standard and then goes above and beyond.

Everything on the dessert menu at this moment is inspired by the season. We have some caramelized fairytale pumpkin bread with ginger ice cream, also a nice dish of red wine poached mission figs with mascarpone semifreddo and tellicherry pepper. There are a few others that I will leave to you to come in and see. The menu changes often so there is always something different happening at CityZen.

Hope to see you soon.

MP

So this will be my first post as I would like to introduce myself to the community.

I have replaced the irreplaceable Amanda Cook as pastry chef at CityZen and Sou'Wester. She left me some big shoes to fill but I am more than up to the task.

Coming to DC from Cafe Boulud, I am humbled and honored to work for such a great chef in Eric. My goal is to elevate his cuisine and the dining experience at CityZen by staying true to the wonderful ingredients, myself and the restaurant. CityZen is one of those restaurants, to me, that sets the standard and then goes above and beyond.

Everything on the dessert menu at this moment is inspired by the season. We have some caramelized fairytale pumpkin bread with ginger ice cream, also a nice dish of red wine poached mission figs with mascarpone semifreddo and tellicherry pepper. There are a few others that I will leave to you to come in and see. The menu changes often so there is always something different happening at CityZen.

Hope to see you soon.

MP

Excellent. Having worked under Haazs (and Kaysen), you've surely got a lot of great things to share with the dining public at CityZen. I look forward to seeing your menus, and hopefully tasting your desserts.

Had dinner tonight at CityZen and can testify that Matthew is a fantastic chef.

The entire meal was fantastic (the coffee ice cream with dessert was amazing), and service was as excellent as ever.

The risotto and the venison were favorites, for me. And the quail. And the matsutake. Oh, and the lobster. And the.... well, everything, honestly.

Excellent. Having worked under Haazs (and Kaysen), you've surely got a lot of great things to share with the dining public at CityZen. I look forward to seeing your menus, and hopefully tasting your desserts.

Thank you Ulterior. Just to clarify, I was the pastry chef at Cafe Boulud in Palm Beach for 2 years with Zach Bell and prior to that I was in nyc at Daniel and db Bistro Moderne. I have done quite a few events though with Raphael and Gavin, great chefs and I always had fun working with them.

Had dinner tonight at CityZen and can testify that Matthew is a fantastic chef.

The entire meal was fantastic (the coffee ice cream with dessert was amazing), and service was as excellent as ever.

The risotto and the venison were favorites, for me. And the quail. And the matsutake. Oh, and the lobster. And the.... well, everything, honestly.

Thank you Carol / DinerGirl!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

MP

Thank you Ulterior. Just to clarify, I was the pastry chef at Cafe Boulud in Palm Beach for 2 years with Zach Bell and prior to that I was in nyc at Daniel and db Bistro Moderne. I have done quite a few events though with Raphael and Gavin, great chefs and I always had fun working with them.

Even so, you're clearly very talented. Best of luck at CityZen.

Wonderful wonderful meal at Cityzen last week. Chef ZIebold is pushing out some great food these days. Highlights were the celery root panna cotta w/ shrimp, the olive oil custard, an amazing mushroom salad, risotto with white truffles - I could go on and on. Best meal I've had in quite some time

My husband is taking me to Cityzen for my birthday tomorrow night. I can't wait.

Quick question - for my last birthday dinners (at Komi and Restaurant Eve) we had huge tasting menu dinners. They were wonderful, but so much food and we both left feeling extremely full. I hesitate not to get the tasting menu, because we don't get to experience these great restaurants that often, but I am wondering if I should skip it this time and get something more sensible, like a 3 course meal.

Is this a dumb idea? Should I get the tasting menu and try to exercise some restraint (let's be honest, this is not my strong point)? or will I be just as happy with the 3 course meal?

Any recommendations if I do go with the 3 courses?

Thanks!

I think you can do exceptionally well with the three-course here -- and if you're feeling extra-hungry, just ask if they can add another course for an upcharge.

If there's a savory foie gras course on the menu, be sure to get it, though now I can't remember if it was on the tasting menu side or the other side. (We supplemented the tasting menu because we're true gluttons.)

Enjoy your meal....

My husband is taking me to Cityzen for my birthday tomorrow night. I can't wait.

Quick question - for my last birthday dinners (at Komi and Restaurant Eve) we had huge tasting menu dinners. They were wonderful, but so much food and we both left feeling extremely full. I hesitate not to get the tasting menu, because we don't get to experience these great restaurants that often, but I am wondering if I should skip it this time and get something more sensible, like a 3 course meal.

Is this a dumb idea? Should I get the tasting menu and try to exercise some restraint (let's be honest, this is not my strong point)? or will I be just as happy with the 3 course meal?

Any recommendations if I do go with the 3 courses?

Thanks!

What my wife and I did when we went there was to both get a three course meal with different dishes for each course and have the plates brought out one at a time and split them. That way you can get close to the experience of a tasting menu without the "massively full" feeling. You can also add another course or two if you don't think you'll both be full at the end of the 6.

Either way, you'll enjoy yourself. Dining there was absolutely the best fine-dining experience that I've had in DC. Everything was conceived and executed flawlessly.

In full celebratory mode, my wife and I had an outstanding dinner here last night. We did the 6-course tasting with wine pairings, and were extremely impressed. The highlight for both of us was a sauteed, lightly spiced foie gras/pickled okra tempura/pineapple marmalade dish that was just perfect--perfectly prepared, perfectly plated, and just an ingenious combination of flavors, tastes and textures. The squab breast we had was outstanding, coupled with potato 'bone marrow' (a playful take; thin strips of fried (I think?) potato rolled around a squab innard filling, perfectly composed). The lobster course was also creative, fun, and delicious--a gribiche sauce that complemented the lobster beautifully.

The service was flawless, competent, and warm.

We were fortunate enough to visit the French Laundry a few months back. While the two restaurants offer very different experiences, our meal at CityZen last night was an able rival to our dinner at the FL.This is not hyperbole--there were more courses at the FL, and for us a certain excitement in dining at a restaurant mecca, but the level of cooking, and creativity, and service, that we had last night at CityZen was comparable.

Does anyone have any recent comments? I am going to CityZen for the first time soon and looking forward to it. Thanks.

My wife and I went for our anniversary earlier this month for the first time. Worth every penny from beginning to end. We went with the 3 course option and my wife was interested in the soup (which featured shrimp which is an allergy for my wife). The spot on server, Nicole, said she would check with the Chef (and Chef Ziebold was very prominent) who didn't hesitate to sub lobster for the shrimp so as not to compromise the dish. Wasn't overwhelmed with the asparagus roti I ap I ordered but baby morels ruled the menu and were amazing. Both entrees simply put smiles on our faces and left us excited to share. Complimentary dessert wine was a nice touch. I don't have a sweet tooth so the cheese cart was an absolutely mind blowing finish to dinner. The space from top to bottom is completely relaxing. Cityzen, Blue Duck, Eventide... these places remind you why you should treat yourself (and your significant other). Awesome.

Fans of the 3-course for $50 bar special, take note.

It's being replaced very soon by a 4-course for $90. Seems that it's too popular (lots of folks take advantage of it) :mellow:

Has anyone confirmed this? The web site has the 4/90 deal as a regular sit down option. I would certainly hate to see the bar deal go...

It's being replaced very soon by a 4-course for $90. Seems that it's too popular (lots of folks take advantage of it) :mellow:

Well, if this is the truth, I am glad that we took advantage of this a few weeks ago.

Cityzen was not our destination, Ba Bay was, but after one hour in the car (from Rosslyn) trying to get to Ba Bay, we pulled off the road and walked into the Mandarin. We were originally leaning towards Sou'wester, but decided to go to Cityzen since it was early in the morning and five bar seats for us.

The food was awesome (expected), the wine pairings were exceptional (great value for the money) and the bread was out of this world (great perk). Service was a bit rough (lots of confusion over dishes and drinks), but it didn't deter from the food. Overall, as we all know, Cityzen is a tremendous restaurant that continues to kick ass.

Fans of the 3-course for $50 bar special, take note. It's being replaced very soon by a 4-course for $90. Seems that it's too popular (lots of folks take advantage of it) :mellow:

I am curious as to your source. The hostess at CityZen said the $50 deal was intact tonight and seemed confused when I asked if there were plans for a change.

ETA: Not that I consider that conversation definitive. But it does suggest that plans -- if there are any -- may not be firm.

If anyone is checking up on this I would like to know how long the bar deal will last so I can sneak in before it goes!

YOU could check up on it. The number is -- as we used to say, in the olden days -- in the book.

Edited by Waitman

The very short answer is we're not changing the bar menu anytime soon. (other than the dishes which change as the menu changes.)

Hopefully, knowing that wont stop anyone that was planning on coming in, but I have this memory from my childhood of these furniture stores that would post "going out of business clearance sale" for years, and didn't think it would be right for anyone to rush in under false pretense.

The long answer has to do with changing the dining room menu from 3 courses to 4 courses, always trying to improve etc....

We're not going to change anything until we're convinced that what we would change is better than what we're currently doing. We're not at that point.

The very short answer is we're not changing the bar menu anytime soon. (other than the dishes which change as the menu changes.)

Hopefully, knowing that wont stop anyone that was planning on coming in, but I have this memory from my childhood of these furniture stores that would post "going out of business clearance sale" for years, and didn't think it would be right for anyone to rush in under false pretense.

The long answer has to do with changing the dining room menu from 3 courses to 4 courses, always trying to improve etc....

We're not going to change anything until we're convinced that what we would change is better than what we're currently doing. We're not at that point.

Hooray!

Hey Everybody!

I just wanted to let everyone know about a new promotion I've been working on at CityZen. Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I will be offering a 4 course dessert tasting, for 25$ per person at our bar. The menu will be thoughtful, inspired daily and will showcase what we love about dessert. There isn't a printed menu, it's just whatever I want to make that day. But please, if you prefer chocolate over fruit or vice versa, let me know and I will do my best to accommodate you.

I have always wanted to do something like this and CityZen affords me that opportunity. I hope to have some loyal Don Rockwell contributors at our bar soon. Cheers.

Matthew

Hey Everybody!

I just wanted to let everyone know about a new promotion I've been working on at CityZen. Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I will be offering a 4 course dessert tasting, for 25$ per person at our bar. The menu will be thoughtful, inspired daily and will showcase what we love about dessert. There isn't a printed menu, it's just whatever I want to make that day. But please, if you prefer chocolate over fruit or vice versa, let me know and I will do my best to accommodate you.

I have always wanted to do something like this and CityZen affords me that opportunity. I hope to have some loyal Don Rockwell contributors at our bar soon. Cheers.

Matthew

This sounds lovely! Thanks for letting us all know.

This sounds lovely! Thanks for letting us all know.

My and I took advantage of this wonderful offer last night and truly enjoyed the experience. For dinenr we went to Estadio, I need to digrees for a moment and mention that I didn't know brussel sprouts could be that good. Anyway, for dessert we thought it would be fun to try the CityZen dessert tasting menu that Matthew mentioned the other day. The four course dessert tasting menu (talk about a dream come true) started with a wonderful jelly sorbet topped peanuts -- each bite was an explosion of jelly flavor. This was followed by an apple experience, with apple sorbet, apple cake, dried apple. Any fears that this was going to be too much were quickly dispelled as everything completmented and built on each other. The third course, our favorite, was the peacon experience - just wonderful. The menu finished with a nice chocloate bread pudding and vanilla ice cream. We enjoyed how thoughtful and seasonal the desserts were. The staff, as always, was great and I can't end the post without mentioning how wonderful and friendly Sal at the bar was. We look forward to enjoying this again and highly recommend.

My and I took advantage of this wonderful offer last night and truly enjoyed the experience. For dinenr we went to Estadio, I need to digrees for a moment and mention that I didn't know brussel sprouts could be that good. Anyway, for dessert we thought it would be fun to try the CityZen dessert tasting menu that Matthew mentioned the other day. The four course dessert tasting menu (talk about a dream come true) started with a wonderful jelly sorbet topped peanuts -- each bite was an explosion of jelly flavor. This was followed by an apple experience, with apple sorbet, apple cake, dried apple. Any fears that this was going to be too much were quickly dispelled as everything completmented and built on each other. The third course, our favorite, was the peacon experience - just wonderful. The menu finished with a nice chocloate bread pudding and vanilla ice cream. We enjoyed how thoughtful and seasonal the desserts were. The staff, as always, was great and I can't end the post without mentioning how wonderful and friendly Sal at the bar was. We look forward to enjoying this again and highly recommend.

Mikew1 - thank you for the very nice comments, I am sorry that I was not in the restaurant to say hello, apparently I had just missed you. Next Time!

On that note, I am really excited and happy because this dessert tasting menu seems to be taking off as we have had guests enjoying every night this week. Keep em coming!

This leads me to an idea that Eric and I had. We are hoping to do something with the hotel and shows at arena stage. The idea is to have you come back after the show for dessert in our lounge. The hotel would provide a town car that could shuttle you back and forth. Sounds like a pretty sweet idea right?!! Still an idea at this point but food for thought......

Ciao,

MTP

This leads me to an idea that Eric and I had. We are hoping to do something with the hotel and shows at arena stage. The idea is to have you come back after the show for dessert in our lounge. The hotel would provide a town car that could shuttle you back and forth. Sounds like a pretty sweet idea right?!! Still an idea at this point but food for thought......

My first impressions on things like this are right 99% of the time, and my first impression of this is that it's a *great* idea - are you serving dessert in the entire lounge area and not just the bar itself?

Please say yes.

My first impressions on things like this are right 99% of the time, and my first impression of this is that it's a *great* idea - are you serving dessert in the entire lounge area and not just the bar itself?

Please say yes.

Yes!

Whilst a work in progress, we want our guests to be comfortable and enjoy themselves, so if you would like to eat your dessert in the lounge then so be it. We even have beautiful new furniture in there to boot!

with the hotel and shows at arena stage. The idea is to have you come back after the show for dessert in our lounge. The hotel would provide a town car that could shuttle you back and forth. Sounds like a pretty sweet idea right?!! Still an idea at this point but food for thought......

For the 20+ years that MrP and I have been theater subscribers in DC we've hated the fact the so few restaurants stay open late enough for the post-theater crowd, and I know we're not the only ones. It's a great idea even without the town car.

Marcel's has been doing this with the Kennedy Center for years. You valet your car with Marcel's, have dinner, take the town car to the show, and they pick you up after.

You used to be able to delay your dessert/cheese course until after the show, but it's such a popular deal they had to stop that practice.

Marcel's has been doing this with the Kennedy Center for years. You valet your car with Marcel's, have dinner, take the town car to the show, and they pick you up after.

You used to be able to delay your dessert/cheese course until after the show, but it's such a popular deal they had to stop that practice.

Unfortunately this limited you to shows at the Kennedy Center. Having this after an evening at the Arena Stage (or Shakespeare Theater) will be great.

Though, if you ask politely and tip well, you can get the car both ways and order randomly based on what's available. Foie gras for dessert, for example.

Chef Peterson,

Will you be at the restaurant Thursday (tomorrow) for the dessert tasting? I was thinking of trying it out.

I am sorry that I replied to this late...

I didn't get my email notification of a comment on this thread!

I met a couple last night that had our dessert tasting... was that you???

If not I would love to invite you to come in next week, let me know and I will make sure I am at the restaurant to say hello.

Cheers.

I just wanted to point out that Matt is apparently a TV star as well as being an excellent cook and a nice guy. The apples five ways ways (or whatever the fuck they called it) was truly brilliant, one of those things where the different tasting apples are all handled differently, so their individual genius is maximized and there's a different sweetness and texture to each.

I think I'm going to get one of my crew buddies to do a killer workout and get the three course bar dinner followed by the four course dessert menu.

My wife and I enjoyed an absolutely spectacular dinner at CityZen last night. This was our fourth meal here and undoubtedly the best. More importantly, it erased my lingering doubts about the kitchen's ability to send out étoile-worthy plates. The technique and execution behind every course that we've had at CityZen has always been flawless. But I'd finished my previous meals with a slight sense of disappointment: the food felt somewhat safe, lacking in challenging or revelatory elements. The menus appeared tailored to a DC clientele afraid to experiment. Not this time. Interesting and innovative flavor combinations were everywhere, but always in total balance. This was fun, pleasurable, and sophisticated food.

Many of the dishes tasted like they could have been served at The French Laundry. This isn't just a gratuitous observation given Eric Ziebold's pedigree, but an important realization for me. I enjoyed my favorite meal of all time at TFL and to know that such an experience could be re-created in DC truly makes me proud. Speaking of Chef Ziebold, he could be seen hard at work behind the pass for our late seating. He's also been there each time that we've dined at CityZen; not out making TV shows or selling books, just cranking out beautiful plates in the kitchen.

A few stand-out courses for me (I didn't get a copy of the menu, so I don't remember all of the details):

Musquée de Provence Pumpkin Tart

Foie gras and pumpkin ... who knew?! As much as I love a soft, seared slab of foie gras by itself, I'm more impressed by dishes that intelligently integrate it as a complementary ingredient. Here, flaky tart crust meets sweet pumpkin and creamy confit foie. The foie gras isn't a token luxury condiment, nor does it dominate the whole dish. It just makes something seemingly simple a lot better. Crazy-tasty and like nothing I've had before.

Maine Lobster Tail, Sea Urchin Broth

My wife ordered this ($15 supplement) as part of the four-course menu. I loved that the dish prominently featured the brininess of sea urchin. It wasn't just there to inflate the price, or to be hidden within a heavy sauce. It tasted of the sea, which is exactly how it should.

CityZen Pecan Pie

My all-time favorite dessert is the CityZen Dreamsicle from years ago. This pecan pie interpretation may well be my second-favorite and a continuation of the great house-named-dessert trend ("CityZen [anything]" dessert bound to be awesome!). I believe the "pie" part was described as being a chiboust. It had the lovely texture of undercooked cookie dough, but with a nice, crunchy base. Together with the muscovado sugar ice cream, it was quite incredible. The pre-dessert/palate cleanser sorbets were also great--Matthew Petersen's rising star reputation is very well deserved.

Complaints? Just some minor observations:

1. The busser who set the silverware for each course did so rather haphazardly. It's not a big deal, but at this level, I shouldn't be repeatedly seeing a knife half-tossed onto the table to land at an angle.

N.B. It was more than enough consolation that our captain for the night (Nicole) was brilliant: knowledgeable, personable, and professional. It was a joy to be under her care.

2. The two somewhat similar meat courses on the Chef's Tasting Menu didn't work that well for me. On the sample menu, the first dish is the Crispy Shoat Belly. But last night's menu featured the shoat loin. This came before the lamb ribeye. Both proteins were perfectly cooked and seasoned, but both cuts are relatively lean and mild. The shoat belly would probably have provided more differentiation from the lamb. Or maybe the shoat loin and the beef calotte that was on the a la carte menu. Don't get me wrong, both the shoat and the lamb were delicious, but I wanted a bit more textural contrast that may have come from the substitution of a different cut.

In my first post on this site, I talked about the down-scaling of 2941 and a particularly disappointing meal at Adour, wondering if top-notch, inventive cuisine could be found at a fine dining restaurant in DC. Well, I've found my answer and it's an uplifting one. CityZen delivers a dining experience that's right up there with the world's best. On a personal note, I proposed to my wife at the Mandarin Oriental 5 years ago and it's both fitting and pleasing that our favorite DC-area restaurant can be found there. We look forward to many more celebrations at CityZen, with great food, wine, and hospitality.

Thank you, Chef Ziebold and team, for working so hard to create the best restaurant in town. We can't afford this kind of dinner all the time, but the staff at CityZen seem to understand what's at stake: that a special meal should feel truly remarkable.

Musquée de Provence Pumpkin Tart

Foie gras and pumpkin ... who knew?! As much as I love a soft, seared slab of foie gras by itself, I'm more impressed by dishes that intelligently integrate it as a complementary ingredient. Here, flaky tart crust meets sweet pumpkin and creamy confit foie. The foie gras isn't a token luxury condiment, nor does it dominate the whole dish. It just makes something seemingly simple a lot better. Crazy-tasty and like nothing I've had before.

Two nights ago I had an amazing course at Fiola (I could see Fabio through the window); last night it was brandade at Palena (Frank was working the line). This paragraph just sealed the deal on where I'm having my Christmas Eve dinner (and I have no doubt whatsoever that Eric will be there).

Being alone for the holidays sucks, but it doesn't have to suck that much.

My wife and I enjoyed an absolutely spectacular dinner at CityZen last night. This was our fourth meal here and undoubtedly the best. ...Interesting and innovative flavor combinations were everywhere, but always in total balance. This was fun, pleasurable, and sophisticated food.

My wife and I were there too last night, and I think Nicole was also our server! Fantastic dinner and service, and thanks for your descriptions! They are much better than what I could write.

That was not my mama's old fashioned pecan pie last night but something unexpected and greatly satisfying. The texture was almost like a soufflé but the crust was fantastic. So was the crust for the pumpkin tart. In the future I would get anything here with a crust.

The artichoke with the scallops were very special. Served with a Pinot Noir that went very well with it. I don't believe I ever tasted such an artichoke dish. The shoat had a much richer flavor for us last night than the lamb, plus we enjoyed the way it was served with the wintergreens wrapping, almost like a piece of sushi in its presentation, with the CZ scrapple, and the sauce. By the time I got to the lamb, the last course before cheese and dessert, I would have been ready to surrender and give away state secrets if I had any! Worth it to go with the wine pairings.

This is a special occasion place for us, but we greatly look forward to the next one. We will be in good hands with them!

Two nights ago I had an amazing course at Fiola (I could see Fabio through the window); last night it was brandade at Palena (Frank was working the line). This paragraph just sealed the deal on where I'm having my Christmas Eve dinner (and I have no doubt whatsoever that Eric will be there).

Being alone for the holidays sucks, but it doesn't have to suck that much.

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to get your CityZen on, but I'm sure that you'll be back soon. It sounds like Marcel's really took care of you, which makes it even more imperative that I finally go and try it out.

Happy holidays to you!

My wife and I were there too last night, and I think Nicole was also our server! Fantastic dinner and service, and thanks for your descriptions! They are much better than what I could write.

That was not my mama's old fashioned pecan pie last night but something unexpected and greatly satisfying. The texture was almost like a soufflé but the crust was fantastic. So was the crust for the pumpkin tart. In the future I would get anything here with a crust.

The artichoke with the scallops were very special. Served with a Pinot Noir that went very well with it. I don't believe I ever tasted such an artichoke dish. The shoat had a much richer flavor for us last night than the lamb, plus we enjoyed the way it was served with the wintergreens wrapping, almost like a piece of sushi in its presentation, with the CZ scrapple, and the sauce. By the time I got to the lamb, the last course before cheese and dessert, I would have been ready to surrender and give away state secrets if I had any! Worth it to go with the wine pairings.

This is a special occasion place for us, but we greatly look forward to the next one. We will be in good hands with them!

Small world! I'm glad that you had as enjoyable a time as we did!

I agree that the scallops + artichoke were great. It's tough to innovate with something as simple as seared scallops, but they created something really satisfying without obliterating the flavor of the seafood. The artichoke pudding was creamy and smooth without being too heavy.

Yes, I'm totally with you on ordering anything with a crust on the menu!

Good Morning donrockwell land,

I wanted to let you all know about a promotion we are running with the Savored Group. It will be a five course dessert tasting menu, with drink pairings, for $150 pp, all inclusive. We will be holding a table every Thursday in February for 10 guests to enjoy a night of fun and sweets. Please go to savored.com to check out the deal and all the details . I have posted the link below, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Please join us at CityZen for something special.

Warm Regards,

Matthew

http://savored.com/dc/signatures/cityzen/

A look into the kitchen from the Washington Post. (The time lapse thing is pretty cool.)

Almost comically over-written at times ("drawing his blade crisply across the slab of rosy fish like a confident barber with his razor on a pulsing neck" ) but it couldn't happen to a nicer militaristically-disciplined hoofer.

I've head that Chef Z once, in a moment of controlled rage, ordered the entire kitchen staff of the French Laundry up against the dish-washing machine and "danced" solo (pas d'un?) for several courses to show them how it was done.

(Apparently the newly svelte wine guy is turning heads as well: the "lanky sommelier Andrew Myers...")

I've head that Chef Z once, in a moment of controlled rage, ordered the entire kitchen staff of the French Laundry up against the dish-washing machine and "danced" solo (pas d'un?) for several courses to show them how it was done.

Yeah, this little legend sounds almost apocryphal, but Shuna Fish Lydon claims to have witnessed it firsthand.

("drawing his blade crisply across the slab of rosy fish like a confident barber with his razor on a pulsing neck" )

Sweeny Todd at CityZen? Meat pies on the menu these days? Eric, did you hire George Hearn or Patty Lupone lately?