Bombay Curry Company, Beloved Curry House in Del Ray - Closed

I think it's time to think about some peri peri tandoori chicken on the menu now.

(I still think some of the best chicken wings I've ever had were at the buffet at Bombay Curry Company.)

Speaking of which... when can we look forward to a re-opening of Bombay Curry Company in the new location? I could go for some of the wings and some kadahi and curry and....

I hope we don't have to wait too much longer :)

Some promising (?) news posted earlier this week on the Bombay Curry Company Facebook page:

Picked up the Building Permit from the City and finalizing with the contractors. Wow, the figures just keep going up.
Perhaps should sell 'Gift certificates' to raise funds :)
Happy New Year Everyone.

Fingers crossed that things move quickly now - I'm missing my local curry fix!!

• Like 1

Opens Tomorrow, October 01st, 2013 in Ashburn, Virginia.

At Kaiser's - The Austrian Gasthaus

Austrian Chef Thomas Verschnik presents the world famous "Wienerschnitzel" and many more culinary highlights from the Alps, accompanied with a fine selection of imported Wines & Beers.

Its a parternship between my friend's daughter and the chef from Austria. Their website appears under construction but here is the link to their facebook page which has details of menu etc.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/At-Kaisers-The-Austrian-Gasthaus/296036913872003

I wish them good luck

Hey, when are we going to be wishing YOU good luck, Balraj?

• Like 1

Hey, when are we going to be wishing YOU good luck, Balraj?

numerous issues with the utilities which are fianally sorted out, contracor says four to six weeks but if you factor in licencing, staffing etc it might be a wee bit longer.

numerous issues with the utilities which are fianally sorted out, contracor says four to six weeks but if you factor in licencing, staffing etc it might be a wee bit longer.

Can you give word on the location?

Maybe you *should* sell gift certificates (on Kickstarter, maybe?) - I suspect people will be glad to help you, especially if they get a future meal out of it. :)

For having a 50+ restaurants probably, not very many of them are good/worth the money. There are some distinct holes - not one Indian restaurant in Old Town/Old Town North/Del 

Patiently waiting for Bombay Curry to re-open in Del Ray. If it is anything like it was when it was down the street, the wait will have been worth it.

• Like 1

Patiently waiting for Bombay Curry to re-open in Del Ray. If it is anything like it was when it was down the street, the wait will have been worth it.

They posted a photo onFB this week. Hard to tell, but maybe making progress towards opening.

I've lived in Del Ray for a couple years (yesterday was the 2 year anniversary) and I've heard the legend of Bombay Curry Company, but had never experienced it. So, tonight was supposed to be Smithsonian and then Little Serow, but due to circumstances unforeseen (We got to Little Serow at 525p, there was a line, and when we got in we were told 830pm; on a side note, last night I was seated at Toki Underground at 630p with no waiting) we headed back to Del Ray so I could finally try BCC.

It was completely full. The wait was 20-25 minutes, said the adorable 'ladki' that greeted us. The place was visual entropy - hostesses, waiters/waitresses, chefs in constant, seemingly chaotic, but obviously purposeful motion. It's a small room, and I was told by my ladyfriend that the prior place was even smaller. The current iteration does not have a bar, and I'm not sure if there is a way to fit one in. They have a few beers and wine. About 15 minutes later, we were seated.

It took a few minutes to get waters and drink orders, but once that started, the service really came together. The owner/chef was working his tail off, as was the rest of the staff. We started with papri chaat (fried crisps, topped with onions and chickpeas, yogurt sauce, tamarind sauce). There is Indian red chili powder at the table to add as you please. Along with this, we had onion bhaji with cilantro chutney. Home style, my friends, home style. Just like moms, both of them were. I loved the onion bhaji - chunks of onion, not the big round pieces, mixed in with the flour, and fried til crisp on the outside and brown (not that yellowy sort of color you see at most places). Papri chaat was as hoped for, light, tangy with yogurt.

For entrees, my lovely date said she used to love the Lamb Vindaloo so we got one of those. Then, I tried to order the chicken curry and told the Boss (Balraj) that I wanted it spicy. He waved off my suggestion of the curry, and said, "No, you get the Chicken Kadai." Okay, then. Both came within an adequate amount of time, not super quick (which makes me think that it's pre made sauces and just adding meats and vegetables). So, one of the things you can tell if a place is quality or not is to take a look at the color of the curries/bases. Many places essentially change just the meat or add a few different vegetables, but the curry/base is the same. Not the case with what we ordered. The Vindaloo was vinegary, as it should be and also a deep brown. I didn't get another curry dish, but the tables are close together so I could see that they were using different curry/bases.  It was spicy, I was sweating as was the lady. The Chicken Kadai is like the Pakistani 'karahi' dishes, made in our version of a wok. Damn spicy, very gingery and garlicky.

This place is what Del Ray needed, thank god not another stylish sushi joint or other gimmicky thing (we have a burger place, a bbq place, a organicky sort of place, a farm to table place, so we're doing trendy to death). This is down home, good Indian cooking. Good price point (equal price to Shakthi, but bigger portions). Spicy. Homestyle. Balraj is a baller. I like him a lot - he sat down with us for a while and we got the back story. When we left, auntie said "Thank you so much for coming, Dr. Sahib". I really liked that, too.

We're lucky. This place is great.

-S

• Like 4

I'm delighted to announce that Bombay Curry Company is open once again - after 2 1/2 years! - at 2607 Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray (a few blocks south of the previous location).

Congratulations, Balraj!

Thanks Don.

Plan was to open quietly and let the staff in training work out the kinks for a couple of months and the kitchen settle down. That was not meant to be, got slammed. Service will take some time and some things like the chicken wings and the lentils need some work because we no longer have charcoal and have to work with a natural gas Tandoor.

However, time will tell but we are glad to be back amongst our neighbors and friends

Cheers

Balraj Bhasin

• Like 2

This place is what Del Ray needed, thank god not another stylish sushi joint or other gimmicky thing (we have a burger place, a bbq place, a organicky sort of place, a farm to table place, so we're doing trendy to death). This is down home, good Indian cooking. Good price point (equal price to Shakthi, but bigger portions). Spicy. Homestyle. Balraj is a baller. I like him a lot - he sat down with us for a while and we got the back story. When we left, auntie said "Thank you so much for coming, Dr. Sahib". I really liked that, too.

-S

• Like 1

I've lived in Del Ray for a couple years (yesterday was the 2 year anniversary) and I've heard the legend of Bombay Curry Company, but had never experienced it. So, tonight was supposed to be Smithsonian and then Little Serow, but due to circumstances unforeseen (We got to Little Serow at 525p, there was a line, and when we got in we were told 830pm; on a side note, last night I was seated at Toki Underground at 630p with no waiting) we headed back to Del Ray so I could finally try BCC.

It was completely full. The wait was 20-25 minutes, said the adorable 'ladki' that greeted us. The place was visual entropy - hostesses, waiters/waitresses, chefs in constant, seemingly chaotic, but obviously purposeful motion. It's a small room, and I was told by my ladyfriend that the prior place was even smaller. The current iteration does not have a bar, and I'm not sure if there is a way to fit one in. They have a few beers and wine. About 15 minutes later, we were seated.

It took a few minutes to get waters and drink orders, but once that started, the service really came together. The owner/chef was working his tail off, as was the rest of the staff. We started with papri chaat (fried crisps, topped with onions and chickpeas, yogurt sauce, tamarind sauce). There is Indian red chili powder at the table to add as you please. Along with this, we had onion bhaji with cilantro chutney. Home style, my friends, home style. Just like moms, both of them were. I loved the onion bhaji - chunks of onion, not the big round pieces, mixed in with the flour, and fried til crisp on the outside and brown (not that yellowy sort of color you see at most places). Papri chaat was as hoped for, light, tangy with yogurt.

For entrees, my lovely date said she used to love the Lamb Vindaloo so we got one of those. Then, I tried to order the chicken curry and told the Boss (Balraj) that I wanted it spicy. He waved off my suggestion of the curry, and said, "No, you get the Chicken Kadai." Okay, then. Both came within an adequate amount of time, not super quick (which makes me think that it's pre made sauces and just adding meats and vegetables). So, one of the things you can tell if a place is quality or not is to take a look at the color of the curries/bases. Many places essentially change just the meat or add a few different vegetables, but the curry/base is the same. Not the case with what we ordered. The Vindaloo was vinegary, as it should be and also a deep brown. I didn't get another curry dish, but the tables are close together so I could see that they were using different curry/bases.  It was spicy, I was sweating as was the lady. The Chicken Kadai is like the Pakistani 'karahi' dishes, made in our version of a wok. Damn spicy, very gingery and garlicky.

-S

Thanks for the kind endorsement S, it was great talking to you and I am glad you enjoyed the meal.

(BTW my wife is not happy with the "auntie" bit :))

After last night, are you sure you want to open a restaurant ?

Bhasin

Here is what was posted on their FB page - Hope to head there later this week.  I have missed the lamb vindaloo...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bombay-Curry-Company/155264524501930?fref=nf

UPDATE
We started service July 01st"¦"¦..finally !
It was supposed to be a very soft and quiet opening with new kitchen and service staff, still in training.

Some folks posted online and we got slammed the first three days. There were service glitches but patrons reported that the food tasted the same as before.

TAKE OUT was a major issue. Kitchen is not ready to handle takeout when busy. So we accepted some when not busy and regretted when kitchen was overwhelmed. THAT did not go well with patrons who had been refused, who opted to dine in and saw people coming in for their carry out .
So, until we get our act together, regret there is no takeout. Don't like losing much needed funds but don't want to get people mad.

Until we stabilize, we are open Monday through Saturday (Closed Sunday)
LUNCH 11:30am until 2:30pm
DINNER 5:30pm until 9:30pm

Thank you, for your patronage, support and understanding

Visited last night.  Not busy at all.  Hadn't been there since they moved.

The wine list is limited but a good value.

From the entrees we ordered, we realized that we should have just flipped the plates over. His Chooza Kabab I liked more than he did and my Pathar Kabab he liked more than I did.  So we shared.  What was interesting was that some entrees came with rice and others with naan so it's important to ask which will accompany a dish, because it's not referenced on the menu.  In our case, his came with rice, and mine came with naan.  We were grateful this was pointed out to us before we ordered extra naan; the one piece that accompanied my entree was enough.

I like how they offer sides; the Dal Makhani was a good pairing with naan.

Wasn't going to post this, but was encouraged to. Happened a few months ago....

So, I had a great meal today, just wanted to tell you because I can't really publicize it. I run with the Shirlington Running Club on Tuesdays, and some of my friends there hadn't tried Indian food. Others had, and we decided to go out, they wanted me to order for them. So, I had an idea. I called Bhalsin at Bombay Curry, and asked him if he could do a "chef's tasting" for our group. We've become buddies, and he said he'd come up with something. He called me today at work and went over the menu with me....

Started us off with bhel puri and these pan fried beef patties. Also brought onion kulcha. He introduced the entire menu he was bringing and we were enraptured. The next course was the kebabs... Salmon, lamb, and chicken. Some of these were off menu, and things he was planning on introducing. I'm not a big kebab guy, and certainly not a salmon guy, but it was awesome. The table loved the chicken, as well. That was the favorite. After the kebabs came the curries. He had a fish curry that was off menu (mustard based), a pork curry (vinegar based, off menu), the chicken kadai, and a korma with a jalapeño base. Oh man... The pork was so good. Just tart enough without being a vindaloo. The vinegar was a special fruit based vinegar from a town in the south, he got the bottle on his last trip. Also two sides of daal. We finished with gulab jamun and kulfi. He charged us $25 a head for the non dessert food, and plus tax, tip, wine and beer, was less than $50 a person. Such a great meal.

After everyone left, I told him what a success it was, and that it should be regular. He said it's too hard. Hard for staff. Risky if people don't like what he makes. He seemed really negative about it. I impressed upon him that there is a core of foodies that would love it, and probably pay more than $25 (there was a lot leftover). Anyway, doubt he will do it again (he did say when my family visits he will do a vegetarian one for us), but I think he could do one seating a week and really showcase his stuff.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Note that the above quote is over nine-years old.

Since Carole Greenwood left Comet Ping-Pong, the wings aren't as good - they were *the* best in the area for a time.

However, just last night, I had the wings from the new Bombay Curry Company for the first time in many years, and I don't know of any others in the region that are as good. They're not "hot," but they use spices, and are as compelling now as they were back in 2008. 

Remember Bombay Curry Company - I think doordash delivers for $2.99. You can thank me here, later, after you order them - better still, quote this, and then post on their thread.

If you go to Bombay Curry Company, get their Onion Kulcha as well as their Chicken Wings - it's possibly the best Onion Kulcha I've had in this area (I don't remember having had one at Passage to India, Indique, etc., but I do order them fairly often)

NB: Kulcha is merely stuffed Naan.

I'm sorry to pass along sad news just posted on Bombay Curry Company's Facebook page:

"With a heavy heart, we wish to inform you that we are suspending operations at Bombay Curry Company.

This was not an easy decision to make and numerous factors led to this choice: staffing challenges, a need for Balraj to focus on his health, as well as some family matters that have been put on the back burner for quite some time. We were hoping to continue to provide you with your favorite Indian foods by passing over the torch to our Chef, but unfortunately that did not pan out.

You have been wonderful with all of your support and continued patronage. The friendships we have built will last for many years to come and we simply cannot thank you enough for allowing us to be a part of this amazing community.

Retirement is not what it used to be, and we look forward to continuing this journey through different ventures such as cooking classes, special dinners at our home, as well as a few surprises up our sleeves.

We sincerely hope you will stay in touch, contact information provided below. You can also like our Facebook page or join our mailing list by sending us an email.

Namaste,

Nicky & Balraj Bhasin"

They will definitely be missed! I've enjoyed their food from back when they were in the old Calvert Building. Balraj joined us for DR.com picnics back in the day - wishing him and Nicky good health and an enjoyable retirement. Though I'll be looking forward to the surprises they have planned.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, goldenticket said:

I'm sorry to pass along sad news just posted on Bombay Curry Company's Facebook page:

"With a heavy heart, we wish to inform you that we are suspending operations at Bombay Curry Company.

This was not an easy decision to make and numerous factors led to this choice: staffing challenges, a need for Balraj to focus on his health, as well as some family matters that have been put on the back burner for quite some time. We were hoping to continue to provide you with your favorite Indian foods by passing over the torch to our Chef, but unfortunately that did not pan out.

You have been wonderful with all of your support and continued patronage. The friendships we have built will last for many years to come and we simply cannot thank you enough for allowing us to be a part of this amazing community.

Retirement is not what it used to be, and we look forward to continuing this journey through different ventures such as cooking classes, special dinners at our home, as well as a few surprises up our sleeves.

We sincerely hope you will stay in touch, contact information provided below. You can also like our Facebook page or join our mailing list by sending us an email.

Namaste,

Nicky & Balraj Bhasin"

They will definitely be missed! I've enjoyed their food from back when they were in the old Calvert Building. Balraj joined us for DR.com picnics back in the day - wishing him and Nicky good health and an enjoyable retirement. Though I'll be looking forward to the surprises they have planned.

I remember meeting the Bhasins at a picnic and having a delightful conversation. I hope the non-restaurant issues are resolved and things turn around.

• Sad 1