When Thyme Goes Bye

Meaghan

(I always preferred Quake myself)

Quisp defeated Quake in a customer poll and Quake was banished to the land of defunct cereals forever.

That reminds me of the customer poll that answered the musical question: Are Razzles a candy or a gum? Survey says: Gum.

Olive loaf (and its cousin, pickle and pimento loaf). I used to love eating this crap when we visited my nonkosher aunt and uncle's house on Cape Cod.

Now, even though I might still enjoy the taste, the nutritional information helpfully posted in the deli case prevents me from every trying it again.

Corn dogs.  Bleah.

Ahem, I had transcendent corndogs at Bonnaroo. :) I went back for seconds (and they were not chicken based and I really don't smoke pot). I dream of them sometimes. I think I might get a bunch of those little smokies or such and make mini corn dogs with a great crust to rival the trite mini-burger.

Underwood deviled ham.

I tried that again recently - bleah, hard to believe I ate so much of it as a child. My husband still loves Underwood roast beef spread spread on Triscuits.

I loved those Hostess apple pies! They're in the vending machine at my husband's office, so I had one earlier this year. Mmmmm, still tasty in a guilty-pleasure sort of way... (but they pale in comparison to Popeye's hot apple pies)

Let us not forget that other Hostess treat, the little chocolate doughnuts (Donettes).

Ahem, I had transcendent corndogs at Bonnaroo.  :o   I went back for seconds (and they were not chicken based and I really don't smoke pot).  I dream of them sometimes.  I think I might get a bunch of those little smokies or such and make mini corn dogs with a great crust to rival the trite mini-burger.

I still eat them occasionally, but the guilt is overwhelming.

Mini corn dogs! Now that is a project I might participate in. I'm sure that we'll be seeing them on menus all over town soon. :)

Mini corn dogs!  Now that is a project I might participate in.  I'm sure that we'll be seeing them on menus all over town soon.  :)

Krystal has had mini-corn-dogs on the menu for years - they're called Corn Pups. (They also have Chili Pups and Chili Cheese Pups, so the mini-chili-dog is covered too.)

Mmmm. Krystals. *burp* Probably just as well the closest one to here is Bristol.

I had the good fortune to have a very nutrition-conscious mom who also was an excellent cook. As a result our house was relatively free of all the junk food that generally occupied the kitchen cabinets of suburban America. But there's nothing like denial to arouse craving, so I ended up lusting after much of the stuff mentioned on this thread.

But what I remember most craving is American "cheese." My best friend's mom next door would always make toasted cheese sandwiches with Velveeta on white bread, two things virtually unknown in our household. After a while I'd beg my mom to buy some Velveeta and was placated.

But she won in the end. I’ve been too old for Velveeta (and sugary cereal of every stripe, and anything with the word "Hostess" on it) for at least 20 years. Thanks mom.

Edited by Banco

I am totally on board with many of these--baloney (spelled like that!), Hi-C, Kraft Mac & Cheese, Fanta Grape... And I'll add Dippin' Stix to the list. (Remeber THOSE?)

But nothing beats Fanta Orange when you're in the tropics, and I've recently discovered that Cracker Jacks are less cardboardy--and purty darn good and addictive, in fact--if you buy them in the bag, not the box. I'm just sayin'...

When Mr. Xochitl and I lived in Albuquerque, a stop by the Wienerschnitzel was de rigeur on every road trip. We'd pick up a mess of corn dogs and had a system for eating them: he'd drive, I'd mustard/ketchup his dog, and hand it to him after we got up to speed on the highway. We'd eat them on date nights on our way to the theatre, too. Haven't had a good corn dog since.

What I really miss from childhood are those circus animal cookies variously covered in pink or white icing and sprinkles. Do they still make those?

When Mr. Xochitl and I lived in Albuquerque, a stop by the Wienerschnitzel was de rigeur on every road trip.  We'd pick up a mess of corn dogs and had a system for eating them:  he'd drive,  I'd mustard/ketchup his dog, and hand it to him after we got up to speed on the highway. We'd eat them on date nights on our way to the theatre, too. Haven't had a good corn dog since.
We're off to Kennywood this spring, and I have no choice but to try a corn dog there (allegedly they do a fine version). I don't really have any childhood memories of eating corn dogs, though... funnel cake was more my scene. Mmmm, funnel cake.
What I really miss from childhood are those circus animal cookies variously covered in pink or white icing and sprinkles.  Do they still make those?

Yes, they're still around.