JPW

Washington Post Wine Column

Sum'bitch!

Franz outed my favorite cheap white wine. The price had already been sliding up as the dollar slid down, now it's just going to get worse.

Wine, April 20

Let me guess, the Picpoul de Pinet ??

Pay the man, Shirley

I liked last week's column, although I had worked out the premise (drink wine from the region the cheese comes from) about 10 years ago.

Pay the man, Shirley

I just popped the (synthetic) cork on a bottle of this. Just the thing for a night of refereeing the kid's fights. :lol:

I just popped the (synthetic) cork on a bottle of this.  Just the thing for a night of refereeing the kid's fights.    :lol:

I've had a bottle of it sitting at home for a few months now, but haven't tried it yet.

You have all inspired me.

I've had a bottle of it sitting at home for a few months now, but haven't tried it yet.

You have all inspired me.

It's the kind of white you can pop an ice cube in and not feel like you're violating its character.

Yes, but he didn't mention our favorite Sauvignon Blanc we pick up at Whole Paycheck for $6.99. It isn't something I would throw an ice cube into. We have to schlep that stuff up the hill, you know. I wonder how long that price will last given the dropping dollar.

It's the kind of white you can pop an ice cube in and not feel like you're violating its character.

I'll pass the information on to my dad immediately! Seriously, that guy needs a wine chiller....

Not a big fan of the Finca Antiguas (either the base or the reserve) - left me with a furry tongue and teeth. Nice fruit though and drinkable.

The Vina Rey "70 Barricas" is a nice tempranillo, if a little thin. I prefer the Montecillo tempranillo at this (el cheapo) price point.

Has anyone tried either the Pedro Pergolas (Valdepeñas) Gran Reserva 1998 or the Marques de Moral (Valdepeñas) Tempranillo Crianza 2000? Arrowine has them on sale at $7.99/bottle and $5.49/bottle by the case only.

Has anyone tried either the Pedro Pergolas (Valdepeñas) Gran Reserva 1998 or the Marques de Moral (Valdepeñas) Tempranillo Crianza 2000?  Arrowine has them on sale at $7.99/bottle and $5.49/bottle by the case only.

I really liked the Moral. Franz is right-- I don't think I've had a red for that dirt-cheap price ($5.99 a bottle at Calvert Woodley) that's that good (though Osborne Solaz can sometimes be had for that cheaply and is pretty close).

Sum'bitch!

Franz outed my favorite cheap white wine. The price had already been sliding up as the dollar slid down, now it's just going to get worse.

Wine, April 20

Definitely a great value. Picked up 5 bottles @ $5.99 a pop at Calvert Woodley yesterday. This, along with the Marques De Moral Tempranillo, are excellent deals for a white and red

Edited by alan7147

This is more like it...

I enjoyed this as much as I enjoy the wines.

I enjoyed this too. I thought that it was one of the better ones recently.

Not familiar with Spanish Whites at all so this should be a good starting point.

We usually will have some of them kicking around for happy hours. Unfortunately, someone called the white flavor already today.

Good to know! :P

Definitely a great value. Picked up 5 bottles @ $5.99 a pop at Calvert Woodley yesterday.  This, along with the Marques De Moral Tempranillo, are excellent deals for a white and red

indeed - picked up 2 bottles over the weekend and will be back for more

Sadly, Michael's last column for the Post is forthcoming.

In an email he sent to me today, he mentioned that his next column for the Post would be his last.

I am guessing that he is devoting his energies into the Wine Reviews Online site that was mentioned here already.

This is an unfortunate development - I have long been an admirer of Michael's academic take on the wine world and the thoughtful writing on the bottles he tasted.

I hope they get another contributor - Giliberti shouldn't have the sole responsibility for the wine column because I don't think he really wants to do it weekly.