Washington Post Wine Column

JPW

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just popped the (synthetic) cork on a bottle of this.  Just the thing for a night of refereeing the kid's fights.    :lol:

I've had a bottle of it sitting at home for a few months now, but haven't tried it yet.

You have all inspired me.

Yes, but he didn't mention our favorite Sauvignon Blanc we pick up at Whole Paycheck for $6.99. It isn't something I would throw an ice cube into. We have to schlep that stuff up the hill, you know. I wonder how long that price will last given the dropping dollar.

Not a big fan of the Finca Antiguas (either the base or the reserve) - left me with a furry tongue and teeth. Nice fruit though and drinkable.

The Vina Rey "70 Barricas" is a nice tempranillo, if a little thin. I prefer the Montecillo tempranillo at this (el cheapo) price point.

Has anyone tried either the Pedro Pergolas (Valdepeñas) Gran Reserva 1998 or the Marques de Moral (Valdepeñas) Tempranillo Crianza 2000?  Arrowine has them on sale at $7.99/bottle and $5.49/bottle by the case only.

I really liked the Moral. Franz is right-- I don't think I've had a red for that dirt-cheap price ($5.99 a bottle at Calvert Woodley) that's that good (though Osborne Solaz can sometimes be had for that cheaply and is pretty close).

Sum'bitch!

Franz outed my favorite cheap white wine. The price had already been sliding up as the dollar slid down, now it's just going to get worse.

Wine, April 20

Definitely a great value. Picked up 5 bottles @ $5.99 a pop at Calvert Woodley yesterday. This, along with the Marques De Moral Tempranillo, are excellent deals for a white and red

Edited by alan7147

Definitely a great value. Picked up 5 bottles @ $5.99 a pop at Calvert Woodley yesterday.  This, along with the Marques De Moral Tempranillo, are excellent deals for a white and red

indeed - picked up 2 bottles over the weekend and will be back for more

Sadly, Michael's last column for the Post is forthcoming.

In an email he sent to me today, he mentioned that his next column for the Post would be his last.

I am guessing that he is devoting his energies into the Wine Reviews Online site that was mentioned here already.

This is an unfortunate development - I have long been an admirer of Michael's academic take on the wine world and the thoughtful writing on the bottles he tasted.

I hope they get another contributor - Giliberti shouldn't have the sole responsibility for the wine column because I don't think he really wants to do it weekly.

I got a little confused, as the pictures of the men don't match the column heading.

Are those Marks Slater's comments under Michael Flynn's picture, or is the caption/column heading wrong?

Based on the comments, my thought was that it was the pictures that were misplaced.

Also interesting was the fact that Kathy Morgan was listed as the sommelier at Tosca, while the Sietsema column immediately to the right announced that as of yesterday she is at 2941.

Edited to note - the online version has added the 2941 information.

Edited by bilrus

Also interesting was the fact that Kathy Morgan was listed as the sommelier at Tosca, while the Sietsema column immediately to the right announced that as of yesterday she is at 2941.

Edited to note - the online version has added the 2941 information.

So what happened to Caterina at 2941 - did she move elsewhere?

So what happened to Caterina at 2941 - did she move elsewhere?

She's going to chill for a week or two, and then figure out where she wants to be.

Restaurateurs take note: Caterina Abbruzzetti built 2941's wine program into one of the strongest in town, and was assistant sommelier under Mark Slater for a couple of years before that. There's a serious shortage of knowledgeable sommeliers in town, but one just came on the market.

Based on the comments, my thought was that it was the pictures that were misplaced.

Yes, the pictures were misplaced. Those are my comments under my name. The round of white wines produced to most embarassing moments. Ben had told us that he thought one of the wines was Italian, one was American and one was French. I really didn't care for the first wine (the Bouchard), so I automatically assumed it was the Italian (stupid me!). The second wine I took for the French (it was the Montelena California Chardonnay). The third wine I took for the California (egg on the face!- it was the Italian!). We were a lot more cautious with the red wines, needless to say. A word about the Bastianich Vespa Blanca - Joe Bastianich is Mario Batali's partner at Babbo and the other restaurants. He is also listed as the sommelier of the restaurant. In between running several restaurants, importing his own wine label and raising a family, he takes opera lessons! He's a baritone.

Yes, the pictures were misplaced. Those are my comments under my name. The round of white wines produced to most embarassing moments. Ben had told us that he thought one of the wines was Italian, one was American and one was French. I really didn't care for the first wine (the Bouchard), so I automatically assumed it was the Italian (stupid me!). The second wine I took for the French (it was the Montelena California Chardonnay). The third wine I took for the California (egg on the face!- it was the Italian!). We were a lot more cautious with the red wines, needless to say. A word about the Bastianich Vespa Blanca - Joe Bastianich is Mario Batali's partner at Babbo and the other restaurants. He is also listed as the sommelier of the restaurant. In between running several restaurants, importing his own wine label and raising a family, he takes opera lessons! He's a baritone.

And never forget his mother, Lidia.

Yes, the pictures were misplaced. Those are my comments under my name. The round of white wines produced to most embarassing moments. Ben had told us that he thought one of the wines was Italian, one was American and one was French. I really didn't care for the first wine (the Bouchard), so I automatically assumed it was the Italian (stupid me!). The second wine I took for the French (it was the Montelena California Chardonnay). The third wine I took for the California (egg on the face!- it was the Italian!).

Well, take comfort in the fact that at least your mistaking a Montelena for a fine French Burgundy is not likely to become an international incident, as it was in this rather more famous tasting. :lol:

Or, "you can quote the [beloved] English wine writer Harry Waugh, who was once asked if he had ever mistaken a claret for a red Burgundy. His reply: 'Not since lunch.'" (TonyAspler.com "Bluffer's Guide to Dinner Parties")

(BTW, don't Bouchards always suck? Or have they gotten better lately?)

Edited by Waitman

(BTW, don't Bouchards always suck? Or have they gotten better lately?)

Bouchard P&F was purchased by the Henriot family from Champagne several years ago. They first got rid of what they considered sub-par wine from the cellar and have steadily improved the winemaking year after year. This particular Bouchard Beaune 1er Cru left me cold.

The WP wine section has gone from a 'must-read/buy many recommendations' to a total joke. The idea of having different groups of 'critics' rate the wine each time is in and of itself a bad idea. The reader loses all continuity and trust that come from reading the same one or two critics every week.

Now when the critics are wine experts like Mark Slater, I can find much to be interested in. But todays column, with ratings by ONLY under-25s, who are all admitted neophytes, reaches a new low for me.

WP, what are you thinking??????

Wine for Pre-Schoolers

My personal favorite was the girl who said she doesn't really like any red wines, um ok, so how the heck did you make it onto this panel?

I've only been buying wine, legally, for 3 years--I know pretty well that I know next to nothing. Why would I read a review with someone with a similar lack of knowledge? I do appreciate the Post reviewing less expensive wines, because that's generally what I drink, but at least get someone who knows what they're talking about. I might as well just call my college roommates and reminisce about our days of drinking Boones Farm mixed with vodka.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't all the young tasters rate each wine MUCH higher than Ben did?

That reveals one such flaw in the approach. It's one thing to say, "hey, this is an enjoyable wine right now, but it is quite another thing to say that a particular wine is a superior example of its type.