Trendy Restaurants With Good Food

hey_brookie

There are DC celebrities (a boozy Tom Delay, a speeding Sandy Berger) and then there are the real deal types who grace the pages of US Weekly. For the former, go to the Palm, Signatures, or Milano.

For the latter, head West.

Edited to add: If you had been at Milano last night, you would've had the best of both worlds: Mick Jagger and Howard Dean partied together well into the evening.

Edited by Capital Icebox

Palena and Cafe Atlantico are both "trendy" and they both have great food and smart cocktails. I like the trndy beet mojito at Atlantico very much; I like the trendy fries at Palena. Also, Charlie Palmer is a place to be seen by really cool Hill staffers and other bad guys.

I love fun trendy restaurants. That said, Cafe Milano was one of the worst meals I have ever had in my life, and the trend factor was zero, at least that is not the trend that I like. I would recommend Indebleu, Oya, Rosa Mexicana, or Ceiba. All great choices with great cocktails!

I adore Palena but I don't think it fits the bill here. Milano is definitely a known celeb hangout but reports on the food have not been positive.

Are there celebs at Zola? Zaytinya? Oya? All are flashy and it sounds like flash is what's needed.

I love fun trendy restaurants. That said, Cafe Milano was one of the worst meals I have ever had in my life, and the trend factor was zero, at least that is not the trend that I like. I would recommend Indebleu, Oya, Rosa Mexicana, or Ceiba. All great choices with great cocktails!

Milano's food -- once pretty good eatin' -- has gone downhill as the average age of the clientel has climbed. Also, now that they have the Side Room of Death, it's possible that even if you decided to run with the still (if often artificially so)- Beautiful Crowd, you'd end up in a windowless room surrounded by tourists.

I'd head for Zola or maybe one of it's Penn Q neighbors, or Zaytinya.

cool Hill staffers
There's an oxymoron for you. Edited by Waitman

Agree with what has been said about Cafe Milano -- AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE!

I like the bar scene at Zaytinya on Friday nights -- don't know how "trendy" the customers really are but they seem to think they are -- MEOW

Edited by FunnyJohn

another place worthy of consideration, in my mind, would be the bar at cashion's. it gets a nice mix of the more sophisticated adams morgan crowd - pre-party, and a crowd i would describe as "hip enough to be called hip but smart enough to never use that term in reference to themselves".

and i could eat ann cashion's food all the time.

Has anyone tried indique?  I am getting mixed reviews from my fellow food-mates.

Indique is very good, at least on the six or seven visits I've had. It is a little more "modern" than most Indian places, but I'm not sure I think it falls into the category of hip or trendy.

another place worthy of consideration, in my mind, would be the bar at cashion's.  it gets a nice mix of the more sophisticated adams morgan crowd - pre-party, and a crowd i would describe as "hip enough to be called hip but smart enough to never use that term in reference to themselves". 

and i could eat ann cashion's food all the time.

I saw Peter Horton at Cashion's once. Ya know...Peter Horton? Come on! The "thirtysomething" guy with the scruffy blond beard who married Michelle Pfeiffer?! There's star power for you. :lol:

On another note, Nicole Kidman is apparently hanging around town for a while. Wonder what kind of place could attract Nicole?

For anyone interested in celebrity sightings, this from People magazine:

"Sometimes girls just want to have fun. Nicole Kidman recently celebrated the birthdays of three of her gal pals at Bangkok Joe's restaurant in Washington, D.C., where the Aussie actress sipped on Shiraz, munched on sesame-crusted ahi tuna and put in special requests for flourless chocolate cake and flambéed bananas. Kidman looked "gorgeous" in a knit top with a skirt and boots and was "happy and laughing and chatting with friends and sharing food," a restaurant observer tells us. The party of 11 hung out for about 2-1/2 hours until the restaurant closed at 10:30 p.m.

The actress has been making the rounds in D.C., where she's filming a role as a psychiatrist investigating a strange epidemic in the sci-fi thriller The Visiting. Her "good friend" Keith Urban shared some meals with Kidman – including at the historic Georgetown eatery 1789 – before the country singer headed out on tour. "

Guess whose parking habits suffered a major blow on account of movie sets actors strolling outside my door at bloody midnight? Come on, Nicole, spill the beans, let's get rid of that movie business pretext, we all know who you're here to see. I can pencil you in for next Tuesday.

I saw Peter Horton at Cashion's once. Ya know...Peter Horton? Come on! The "thirtysomething" guy with the scruffy blond beard who married Michelle Pfeiffer?! There's star power for you.  :lol:

Actually, Michelle Pfeiffer is married to David E. Kelley of TV's "Boston [insert modifier here]" fame.

Please don't hate me for knowing that or feeling that it was necessary to share.

Hey... Nicole took her clothes off at Dino on Tuesday. Well it was in the bathroom and after the location folk rented the space for her to use as a green room! I htink my head waiter still has the cappuccino cup that touched her lips!

I personally liked her stunt double better!