Joe's Noodle House

deangold

I just spoke to Audrey one more time. She talked to her chefs. She is willing to go to 18 people at one table of 10 and one of 8. But this is the maximum. I will adjust the guest list. Please be very understanding if this slows down the dinner.

Here is the guest list:

Dean

Daniel K

Ken & Yoon Hee

Mike Ollinger

K Mango +1

Stephen B

Fuzzy 510

Sphere 777

Eroica38

Comestibles

Wait List no more!

Monte (No1Uno)

Tweaked

Adamstr

just Scot Johnson one person who is now three (please explain the physics of this, I am sure there is a Nobel Prize in quantum physics in here somewhere)

Room for 1 3 more only!!!

We are 15. See you all there!

We'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if the dinner lived up to it's subtitled billing, but going down it was quite a treat.

I'll save a more detailed report until after some of our first-time attendees have a chance to chime in.

Thanks to Dean for organizing yesterday's 'burn' dinner. I enjoyed the way the spiciness of the dishes ebbed and flowed during the meal. I especially liked the crispy tofu skin and the complexity of flavors/textures in the pig intestine and liver/kidney dishes. All in all – a memorable meal.

All the major food groups were represented: feet, intestines, kidneys, black eggs...

I probably eat in or get carry out from Joe's once every couple of weeks and I've settled on some favorites that I order over and over again. I'm glad I got outside my comfort zone and tried some new stuff. I'll definitely order the long peppers with 1000 yo eggs again, and the spicy beef tripe and tendon was excellent. The tofu was a surprise-- it had all that great fried taste without the fried greasiness. Intestines were good-- if I hadn't known what I was eating I would have just thought it was some tender fatty pork. Kidneys? I dunno... I just can't deal with that flavor/aroma, though I did enjoy the yu-shiang sauce. The fish soup with greens and cellophane noodles was a winner too.

I didn't find the meal THAT hot. I was definitely stuffed to the gills and pretty much imobilized afterwards, but during the meal I was only hit hard by heat for one brief period after eating a long pepper that was heavy on seeds. I saw the sweat bead up on foreheads around me though!

Good seeing ya'll,

Al

The food seemed hotter this morning when I ate some left over crispy beef. I think that with all the dishes we had, each with its own heat producing elements, the hot was layered horizontally if you will. When you eat more of a single dish, the heat builds vertically. So my 8 or 9 bites of spicy beef today resulted in more initial pain today than 2 bites of it followed by 2 of the lamb followed by 2 of the etc etc etc.

The peppers were a revalation. So was the h25 soup: cellophane noodles, fish filet & sour cabbage. Someone likened it to a sorbet in a tasting menu, it cleansed the palate and freed up your hot receptors for more action. The lamb was very good. I almost never order it and I should. The spicy and tasty fried tofu was superb. The company was great!

Can I suggest a Joe's Noddle House (or any spicy place) for wimps trip? Something that might be a gateway drug for those of us who are too scared or too wimpy to venture on our own??? Mr. BLB has no tolerance for heat and I never know what to experiment with myself... Wondering out loud here...

Can I suggest a Joe's Noddle House (or any spicy place) for wimps trip? Something that might be a gateway drug for those of us who are too scared or too wimpy to venture on our own??? Mr. BLB has no tolerance for heat and I never know what to experiment with myself... Wondering out loud here...

Pick a date and set it up. I would be happy to chirp in on the suggestion side as would Daniel and others. They do shrimp with egg or shrimp with edamame that are not spicy at all, I would love to try the chicken with stinky fish sauce or the shanghai cabbage with tofu cheese sauce (sure to be stinky). Kay would love to come to a Joe for wimps night as well!!!

The spicy meal was just what it was supposed to be, and thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks to Dean for arranging it, and to Audrey and her staff for carrying it off. Of the many dishes, my favorite was the fish filet with sour cabbage & noodle. The lamb was a vigorous second.