Galileo III, Downtown in the old Butterfield 9 Space - Closed

Jim and I celebrated his birthday at Galileo III on Friday night. We made reservations and specifically said we'd be ordering the 12+ course Chef's Choice Tasting Menu which we had seen on the Gailieo III dinner menu online.

The condensed review is that the food was fabulous. Wish we could say the same about the overall dining experience. Below is the text of my blog post. To see the pictures of the food, click here.

We got to the restaurant about 30 minutes before our reservation and paid a visit to the bar and pestered Chris the bar manager. We each ordered a cocktail and a short time later, were treated to a small plate of the thinnest sliced Mortadella ever and some warm bread. It was heavenly. With drinks and our pre-dinner treat behind us, we were seated at our table to begin our dining extravaganza.

With help from Chris and our server, we selected a nice bottle each of white and red wine to go with the meal.

Reflection from the wine glasses on a shelf behind our table

An assortment of breads were brought to the table with a side of ricotta, parsley and garlic butter.

Then the courses began.

1st Course: Burrata: Imported Burrata cheese over roasted peppers marinated with capers, garlic, Sicilian olive oil.

2nd Course: Tonno delle Isolelle Isole: Salad of Fregola, chopped tuna, smoked, bottarga of tuna, curly endive, blood orange dressing.

3rd Course: Bagna Cauda: Flan Duo of warm red peppers and Jerusalem artichokes in a Bagna Cauda (anchovy garlic) sauce.

4th Course: Budino di Parmigiano: Parmigiano Reggiano cheese pudding top with a layer of Burrata cheese, cream of porcini mushrooms, sliced black truffle. (Ours were sans black truffle)

5th Course: Raviolini del Plin: Small “pinched” ravioli filled with beef, veal and chicken. Served in a sauce of veal jus, butter and sage.

6th Course: Tortelloni: Tortelloni filled with red beets in a chive cream sauce with poppy seeds.

7th Course: Butternut Squash Ravioli: Ravioli stuffed with butternut squash. Topped with crushed ameretti cookies and a butter sage sauce.

8th Course: AnatraFettuccine all”Anatra: Spinach fettuccine with duck meat stewed in tomato and vegetables.

9th Course: Capesante: Sauteed sea scallops atop yellow & black polenta, sautéed lobster mushrooms, cream sauce.

10th Course: Coniglio: Roasted loin of rabbit served over braised legs with pancetta in a sauce “alla Ligure” of stewed celery, onions, olives and walnuts.

Dessert:

I had Crostata di Mele. Apple crostata, honey-roasted pecans, caramel gelato, apple jelly.

Jim had Torta All’ Olio D’Oliva. Olive oil cake blood orange sauce, mascarpone sorbetto, crispy pine nuts, vanilla poached fennel.And some lovely coffee

The food was in a word, fabulous! Jim's favorites was the artichoke flan. The delicate texture and flavors were wonderful. My favorite was the budino. I called it sex in a spoon (Jim said I'm not that limber). We would easily order any of the 10 dishes again. In fact, some we had already eaten on two previous visits.

And Chris, Bar Manager extraordinaire, was terrific as always. Thank you Chris!

As good as the food was, we felt the dining experience could have been better. The tab for this meal was $360 meal (before tax and tip). This was the Chef's Choice Tasting Menu which we said we would be ordering when we made our reservations. It's not like they weren't aware what we would be ordering.

Issue 1: You'd think they would have seated us closer to the open kitchen but no, we were in the farthest corner behind a wall from the kitchen between two service stations.

Issue 2: The online menu says the Chef's Choice is 12 plus courses plus desert. Trust me, we were very full after 10 courses but I can imagine there are folks out there that would argue this with the server and either say to bring two more courses or lower the price of the meal. There needs to be consistency with what you advertise and what you actually offer.

Issue 3: Where was the chef? Even if it wasn't Chef Donna in the kitchen, you'd think the who ever was in charge of the kitchen would have made at least one appearance just to ask if we had any questions or to see how things were going. Just sayin'

We'd still say that the food is worth a visit. But to get a better bang for you buck, each person at the table should order the 3 or 4 course meal + dessert and have everyone get different items. You'll be able to get to choose what you want and have slightly larger portions which lends itself to sharing and swapping bites.

Jim and I celebrated his birthday at Galileo III on Friday night. We made reservations and specifically said we'd be ordering the 12+ course Chef's Choice Tasting Menu which we had seen on the Gailieo III dinner menu online.

Issue 1: You'd think they would have seated us closer to the open kitchen but no, we were in the farthest corner behind a wall from the kitchen between two service stations.

Issue 3: Where was the chef? Even if it wasn't Chef Donna in the kitchen, you'd think the who ever was in charge of the kitchen would have made at least one appearance just to ask if we had any questions or to see how things were going. Just sayin'

Thanks for directing my attention to this option. When I check their website, I found other interesting stuff, such as the pasta tasting menu and the "unusual tasting menu."

As for your issues, I'd like to hear some other opinions. I'm not quite sure what to expect on special occasion dinners.

As for your issues, I'd like to hear some other opinions. I'm not quite sure what to expect on special occasion dinners.

oh, what the heck...

I don't understand why points 1 and 3 were issues. Why would you expect either? If you don't like the table you're shown to, ask for another. If you'd like to meet the chef, ask if you can meet the chef.

oh, what the heck...

I don't understand why points 1 and 3 were issues. Why would you expect either? If you don't like the table you're shown to, ask for another. If you'd like to meet the chef, ask if you can meet the chef.

I agree with points 1 & 3, ask and you shall receive! Did you mention either of these issues to anyone? As for the online menu differing, that's true of many, many restaurants who change menus depending on what's fresh and available. What was on the menu you were given in the restaurant - that's the defining issue on what you should have been expecting.

The bottom line is you felt the food was terrific and would go back, that's the main issue with any special occasion visit or with any restaurant meal. The other issues are negotiable.

1. I didn't see any free tables other than the ones in the area where we were seated. Barbara said she saw one. You'd think they would have saved one with a view of the kitchen if you're having the tasting menu, and you've mentioned it when you make the reservation.

2. I was surprised at the difference in the service from the opening week, "Don Rockwell" special meal, which was impeccable, almost fussy, down to washing our wine glasses with a dab of the wine before they were served to us, and the service we received when ordering the chef's tasting menu (and not mentioning the "Don Rockwell" affiliation), which was much more brusque.

3. The opening week service where Roberto Donna came out of the kitchen to check on us probably spoiled us, and if he was doing that for a special deal, wouldn't he do that for his tasting menu as well?

4. The individual courses were fabulous, but the overall menu was very pasta-heavy. I think it would have been more balanced if we had a small meat course instead of a fifth pasta course. 4 appetizer courses, 4 pasta courses, 1 seafood (scallop) course, 1 meat (rabbit) course. The rabbit was very generous, but a smaller course of that and another meat would have been a better showcase of the menu.

As for why we didn't say anything, that discussion was here, and I didn't want to interrupt our dinner to ask for what would have been regarded as special favors.

1. I didn't see any free tables other than the ones in the area where we were seated. Barbara said she saw one. You'd think they would have saved one with a view of the kitchen if you're having the tasting menu, and you've mentioned it when you make the reservation.

2. I was surprised at the difference in the service from the opening week, "Don Rockwell" special meal, which was impeccable, almost fussy, down to washing our wine glasses with a dab of the wine before they were served to us, and the service we received when ordering the chef's tasting menu (and not mentioning the "Don Rockwell" affiliation), which was much more brusque.

3. The opening week service where Roberto Donna came out of the kitchen to check on us probably spoiled us, and if he was doing that for a special deal, wouldn't he do that for his tasting menu as well?

4. The individual courses were fabulous, but the overall menu was very pasta-heavy. I think it would have been more balanced if we had a small meat course instead of a fifth pasta course. 4 appetizer courses, 4 pasta courses, 1 seafood (scallop) course, 1 meat (rabbit) course. The rabbit was very generous, but a smaller course of that and another meat would have been a better showcase of the menu.

As for why we didn't say anything, that discussion was here, and I didn't want to interrupt our dinner to ask for what would have been regarded as special favors.

You are paying top dollar for a chef's tasting menu. Asking for the chef to come out would certainly not be a special favor.

Glad to see all the reviews of the menu! My husband is taking me there for my birthday tomorrow night (major points for him! LOL) and I'm really looking forward to it. After looking at the menu online, I will have a hard time deciding, I can tell. Any good tips on the wine list before we go?

Lots of great recommendations on the list for menu items- -they were really helpful when I took my wife there for HER birthday! As to wine, I found the list a bit intimidating in its focus on some less known (to me) regions and producers - - a little advance research would probably have helped me. Also, since then, I've become friendly with Walter (the very spiffily dressed Italian guy who I'm guessing will seat you). At first meeting, he comes off as a little stiff and intimidating himSELF but don't be put off; he is actually a prince and very knowledgeable about the wine list (and apparently encouraging chef to expand it a bit). If your visit is anything like mine, it won't be obvious who the sommelier is (or what single function ANY of the multi-tasking staff perform for that matter). So I think you should feel free to quiz Walter on the list and get a recommendation. Have fun!

I've just been looking at the Galileo III website. I don't see any mention of a chef's choice tasting menu, only vegetarian, pasta, and unusual (which is offal, basically). On the dinner menu, it says "Prix Fixe Menu: $55 $72 $89 Per Person" but neglects to tell the prospective diner what is included at each of those prices. Does anyone know? And is the chef's choice tasting menu available only to those who know to ask for it, or no longer offered?

I've just been looking at the Galileo III website. I don't see any mention of a chef's choice tasting menu, only vegetarian, pasta, and unusual (which is offal, basically). On the dinner menu, it says "Prix Fixe Menu: $55 $72 $89 Per Person" but neglects to tell the prospective diner what is included at each of those prices. Does anyone know? And is the chef's choice tasting menu available only to those who know to ask for it, or no longer offered?

In regards to the Prix Fixe menu, as you noted there are 3 pricepoints (based on # of courses):

* $55 = 2 courses + dessert

* $72 = 3 courses + dessert

* $89 = 4 courses + dessert

At least the last time I was there, you could choose any item from anywhere on that menu (i.e 4-courses of appetizers the restaurant is making a killing at $89, and 4-courses of entree items the diner is both stuffed & gotten value), and certain items may have an addiitional surcharge (i.e. currently the Branzino entree is $8 extra).

I'm sorry, but this is a diabolical review. Galileo II had a Wine Spectator Grand Award (whatever that's worth) and a wine list that included some really interesting cheaper wines (drank a singing 1993 Dessilani Spanna there about 10 years post-vintage).

No mention of any beverages at all in this review.

Mr. Sietsema's editor, you need to do better.

No mention of any beverages at all in this review.

Now be fair. He mentions Donna teasingly cautioning two women not to drink too much wine, and describes a dish of veal feet as "winy and fatty". What more do you want?

Seriously, though, the review has the history of the two earlier Galileos seriously wrong. It says Donna presided at the restaurant on 21st St. for only six years, and that the first location opened in 1984 and he didn't move to 21st until 2001. I can't find the dates online, but I know that's not right. Galileo was on P Street for much less than seventeen years, at least ten less. Al Tiramisu's website says they're celebrating 15 years, which would put their opening in 1996, and there were several years before that of Verdi (a place I really liked) in the same space.

Best of luck Chris!

Yes Chris, best of luck...

I know that there can be quite a bit of turnover in the restaurant industry, but there were some red flags in this article that seem to suggest that the previous rumors concerning Galileo III returning to the ways of its predecessors may not have been unfounded after all.

I'm utterly baffled at what the fuss is about. I was invited there for a group dinner on Wednesday, to which I was very much looking forward. After having the group wait ten minutes to be seated, it was some time until they took orders, and more than an hour after we were seated before appetizers arrived. I had the asparagus salad, which was advertised as asparagus, burrata and tomato. When it arrived, it seemed to be bound with a sort of aioli that overwhelmed the cheese. A miss, to be sure. I had the agnolotti as the pasta course, which were good but certainly not ethereal. Now, we were more than 90 minutes into the meal. The waiter said he'd have the chef make a nice vegetarian entree for me, but what arrived were a few slices of grilled zucchini, a few baby artichokes and a couple of onions. Two hours into the meal, I had to leave for another engagement. Others' main courses did not arrive, and I did not see any of the desserts.

Throughout, I never knew what was wrong, or even that the staff felt something was amiss. I got no explanations or even apologies. Our hosts were embarrassed, and we were all puzzled.

Truth be told, I've found the food at Bibiana far superior. Maybe Galileo just had an off night. My sense, though, is something else is afoot.

I'm utterly baffled at what the fuss is about. I was invited there for a group dinner on Wednesday, to which I was very much looking forward. After having the group wait ten minutes to be seated, it was some time until they took orders, and more than an hour after we were seated before appetizers arrived. I had the asparagus salad, which was advertised as asparagus, burrata and tomato. When it arrived, it seemed to be bound with a sort of aioli that overwhelmed the cheese. A miss, to be sure. I had the agnolotti as the pasta course, which were good but certainly not ethereal. Now, we were more than 90 minutes into the meal. The waiter said he'd have the chef make a nice vegetarian entree for me, but what arrived were a few slices of grilled zucchini, a few baby artichokes and a couple of onions. Two hours into the meal, I had to leave for another engagement. Others' main courses did not arrive, and I did not see any of the desserts.

Throughout, I never knew what was wrong, or even that the staff felt something was amiss. I got no explanations or even apologies. Our hosts were embarrassed, and we were all puzzled.

Truth be told, I've found the food at Bibiana far superior. Maybe Galileo just had an off night. My sense, though, is something else is afoot.

Hello,

I am very sorry you did not have a good experience during a your meal , I was there and I remember the request from my waiter for a dish of grilled vegetable ( that I do not have on the menu) I wish I new you wanted a vegeterian dish ( I have a 5 courses vegetarin menu on the regular menu ) . The long wait was due not to your order but to the 6 course choosen by another guest . So I realy would love to invite you back and cook for you . I think Bibiana is a super restaurant so I would love to learn more about when you will come to have an italian vegetarian dinner cook by me . Ciao and thank you for sharing your experience with us that is the only way we can do better.

Since my dad still talks about Laboratorio with fondness, I took him for a belated Father's Day meal at Galileo III. We were seated in front of the open kitchen and enjoyed watching Chef at work. He was very friendly- laughing and joking with diners. Some of the stand out dishes for us were: the Trippa- too weird for many diners but we enjoyed the contrast of the rich tomato sauce with offal; the Tortelloni- a perfect balance of tender yet al dente pasta; the Branzino- fresh fava beans and the saffron broth really elevated this dish; and the Risotto with pork belly- which surprisingly reminded us of a Chinese dish that uses braised pork with preserved vegetables "mei gan cai kou rou". As we were leaving, I asked Chef if he could please bring back the pork sandwich line for lunch- there's a perfect spot on the counter for his cash box!

Tim Carman summarizes the current state of play.

The manager zipping around Galileo III is multi-tasking like mad on a Tuesday night in mid-August. She not only seats guests in the half-empty dining room but also mixes them cocktails, because the bartender is apparently AWOL. As if that weren’t enough, she also takes orders and even runs food from the kitchen, where her boss, chef Roberto Donna, looks to be straining with a limited staff himself.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/the-reduction-of-roberto-donna/2011/08/18/gIQAXyeWZJ_print.html

Wow. I'd profess utter shock and dismay but, tragically, of course, can't do that. So no raising of this hand.

I was early to G3 and enjoyed it. Went a few times. Took friends. Encouraged several others who then tried and enjoyed it. It's been several months since I was last there. The main reason I haven't gone back more often or recently is that it was pretty expensive. Then Chris left and that made me concerned. Owners who stiff staff are a sure way to keep me away irrespective of the food. I so enjoyed G2, Laboratorio, the lunch specials (the "grill") Chef Donna had there. Then came Bebo. Now this.

Sigh....sigh...and a very big sigh. The 'learning from mistakes' quote from Tim Carman's piece, quoting the late 2010 online Sietsema chat, is really a groaner:

“I am here working hard and being [a] responsible person and working on repaying and making amends,” Donna wrote. “People learn from their mistakes, let’s not dwell on the past and [i’m] looking forward to a brighter responsible future!!”

To Donna's credit, most business leaders (by no means exclusive to restaurants) wouldn't even acknowledge this. Sadly, if the Carman piece is largely or entirely accurate, it's clear that Messr. Donna didn't walk this talk. Few leaders do.

For the love of god, why can't someone really, really great at one thing (like cooking, as Chef Donna clearly is) realize someone else is better suited to do the other things (i.e., run the business)? Leading, managing and sustaining a profitable business (whatever kind of business) is very tough. It requires a whole different set of skills than putting out the budinos, risottos and other gems that Chef Donna (sadly) used to create at G3. The foundational dagger, again from the Carman piece where he quoted Chris:

Donna “didn’t want a centralized GM for the place because he was running the show,”

Please, Chef Donna (and other gifted chefs not as excited or experienced at finance, hiring, staff retention, marketing, etc, etc. than cooking), hire someone qualified to help run the business so you can concentrate on doing what you do so well and ostensibly most love. And, then, let that person run things. The odds of success when paired with a seriously talented chef like Roberto Donna, are so much higher.

Some of the best big company CEOs (can read Howard Schultz's "Pour Your Heart Into It" for inspiration; one of the best autobiographical big business stories out there with huge applicability to businesses large and small) stand out because they understand and embrace what so very few leaders do: they can't do it all. They purposefully hire and reward others who compensate for their weaknesses and then allow them to do their jobs. They hire people better than they are. They celebrate and reward them for what they do. Those with the highest levels of self confidence and leadership savvy manage and lead this way.

This emerging G3 story is so deeply disappointing. Maybe it's too late to fix. Maybe it isn't. Maybe Donna doesn't so much want to fix it and this will go down a Kobi Alexander type road. I have no idea.

But, I do know that any chance at a turnaround here....or success in other challenging or uncertain situations...requires business and management acumen the equal of the culinary acumen. This is absolutely a major lesson of the ongoing Roberto Donna saga. Sadly, it's the lesson of many other small and large businesses where ego (and greed) can get in the way of success that would otherwise be assured due to a founder's talent and expertise.

For the love of god, why can't someone really, really great at one thing (like cooking, as Chef Donna clearly is) realize someone else is better suited to do the other things (i.e., run the business)? Leading, managing and sustaining a profitable business (whatever kind of business) is very tough. It requires a whole different set of skills than putting out the budinos, risottos and other gems that Chef Donna (sadly) used to create at G3. The foundational dagger, again from the Carman piece where he quoted Chris:

Please, Chef Donna (and other gifted chefs not as excited or experienced at finance, hiring, staff retention, marketing, etc, etc. than cooking), hire someone qualified to help run the business so you can concentrate on doing what you do so well and ostensibly most love. And, then, let that person run things. The odds of success when paired with a seriously talented chef like Roberto Donna, are so much higher.

Some of the best big company CEOs (can read Howard Schultz's "Pour Your Heart Into It" for inspiration; one of the best autobiographical big business stories out there with huge applicability to businesses large and small) stand out because they understand and embrace what so very few leaders do: they can't do it all. They purposefully hire and reward others who compensate for their weaknesses and then allow them to do their jobs. They hire people better than they are. They celebrate and reward them for what they do. Those with the highest levels of self confidence and leadership savvy manage and lead this way.

This emerging G3 story is so deeply disappointing. Maybe it's too late to fix. Maybe it isn't. Maybe Donna doesn't so much want to fix it and this will go down a Kobi Alexander type road. I have no idea.

But, I do know that any chance at a turnaround here....or success in other challenging or uncertain situations...requires business and management acumen the equal of the culinary acumen. This is absolutely a major lesson of the ongoing Roberto Donna saga. Sadly, it's the lesson of many other small and large businesses where ego (and greed) can get in the way of success that would otherwise be assured due to a founder's talent and expertise.

It would seem to me that how G3 is being run IS the "business" model.

Yeah. I learned a lot more about this yesterday reading more of the background online, including Heather's post on her blog (which I hadn't seen before), some of ktmoomau's perspective on relevant bankruptcy/wage garnishment/collections law and some of the legal filings. Also realized this AM that Tim Carman's article is today's food section front page. Sheesh.

I don't know Roberto Donna (though have met him). I hesitate to judge someone's ethics or honesty that I don't know or where the facts aren't totally available to me. Roberto Donna isn't the first small businessman to have repeated and severe cash flow problems. Nor would he be the first, when facing such serious cash flow problems, who made awful decisions just making a bad situation much worse. Clearly he has made some very bad decisions (most egregious to me is the decision to not pay his staff and suppliers). But, as an outsider, it's hard to know in situations like this whether a business owner:

1) simply lacks business acumen to a gross degree

2) has an oversized ego that prevents good decision making (chronic problem in business)

3) has bad people around him/her giving bad advice

4) is simply dishonest and unethical

Even if this is confined to some combination of the first three, it in no way excuses what is now public record. Carman's article, Heather's post and other pieces about this online are heavy on facts, which is great. But, If #4 is part of the mix (and I agree that there is evidence here that it may be), it should be punished more severely than the actions taken in recent years...if that's even possible with our system?

This is depressing. Anytime you have someone with towering talent who can't (or won't) get their act together (pro athlete flame outs come to mind) despite repeated chances it's really tragic. Then triple or quadruple that when other people are harmed as many seem to have been here who trusted and worked for him. It'd make a HUGE difference if Donna would just come clean, communicate, apologize and seriously make amends (versus just talking about it). But maybe that's exceedingly unlikely and I know he and his staffs have been down this road many times before. Sigh...

And Bonino owns a company run by Donna's wife. I said all that I have to say about this topic right here, and can't profess surprise at anything Tim wrote in the article.

What an unfortunate situation, although sadly unsurprising. I hope that all who have left G3 collect what they are owed in full, and find new jobs quickly.

If nothing else, this episode shows what some folks will overlook in the name of a discounted meal.

A tale of two owners.

From a first time restauranteur, who ran into similar tax and payroll issues. I present, the Kushi defense:

“I can’t blame anybody else for the fact that I owed them the money,” Darren Norris says. “I agreed in writing, I signed a document saying that I would pay on specific dates, and I breached that agreement by not paying on that date.”

“We were taught a lesson: Don’t mess with the government,” Darren Norris adds. “I don’t blame them to be honest with you. Yeah, they flexed their muscles, but I mean, they wouldn’t have had to flex them if I paid on time.”

Bravo, bravo, bravo.

And from a delinquent tax, payroll, and accounts payable recidivist, I present this:

When contacted by phone on Aug. 10, Donna begged off on answering questions. “You have to talk to the owner, not me,” said the chef, referring to RCR owner Corrado Bonino. “I just do the menus.”

I can see why people might be confused as to who is responsible, considering the restaurant, named Galileo iii, is at a website with the address http://www.robertodonna.com

Even if this is confined to some combination of the first three, it in no way excuses what is now public record. Carman's article, Heather's post and other pieces about this online are heavy on facts, which is great. But, If #4 is part of the mix (and I agree that there is evidence here that it may be), it should be punished more severely than the actions taken in recent years...if that's even possible with our system?

"The cooks and dishwashers also had another way to rebel, said James: They would leave the kitchen a mess at the end of their shift. “It was the dirtiest kitchen I ever worked in,” she said. “The line cooks were like, ‘If I wasn’t getting paid, I wouldn’t clean [the kitchen].’ ”

Uh, he can't feign ignorance if the kitchen he cooks in is a mess because people aren't getting paid AGAIN. He is keeping assets in his wife's name so he can continue to live comfortably while his fellow employees are not paid. These are facts. I cannot understand how this behavior is not immoral.

In response to people's former claims that it is necessary for Donna to work in order to pay back his debts and that we should support him Carmen writes - "But at the current rate of repayment, Donna will never satisfy the debt. The county treasurer said he just learned that Donna’s outstanding debt is accruing interest at a rate of 8 percent a year: Over the first year of Donna’s repayment plan, the amount he owes has actually increased by more than $5,000. " So no more feigning ignorance as a diner - your money is doing little to repay his tax debt and absolutely nothing to repay all his former employees.

"The cooks and dishwashers also had another way to rebel, said James: They would leave the kitchen a mess at the end of their shift. “It was the dirtiest kitchen I ever worked in,” she said. “The line cooks were like, ‘If I wasn’t getting paid, I wouldn’t clean [the kitchen].’ ”

Uh, he can't feign ignorance if the kitchen he cooks in is a mess because people aren't getting paid AGAIN. He is keeping assets in his wife's name so he can continue to live comfortably while his fellow employees are not paid. These are facts. I cannot understand how this behavior is not immoral.

In response to people's former claims that it is necessary for Donna to work in order to pay back his debts and that we should support him Carmen writes - "But at the current rate of repayment, Donna will never satisfy the debt. The county treasurer said he just learned that Donna’s outstanding debt is accruing interest at a rate of 8 percent a year: Over the first year of Donna’s repayment plan, the amount he owes has actually increased by more than $5,000. " So no more feigning ignorance as a diner - your money is doing little to repay his tax debt and absolutely nothing to repay all his former employees.

But if he opens yet another place folks (from here) will be sure to go for the opening special treatment!

Words and deeds.

The Kushi example has all the right words and, hopefully, the deed of righting that ship is underway since that's what most matters. In all too many other cases small (Taylor Gourmet), larger (Murky Coffee) and largest (this chronic morass), owners can't even see clear to communicate candidly and with genuine remorse. Without that, there's no chance of actual behavior change or redemption that'd matter to anyone affected. Guess that's what we're seeing here.

It's unfathomable how this can go on so long, with so many lawsuits, and repetitions of the same offenses. Something's wrong with our legal system methinks. Loopholes in desperate need of closing.

At the risk of attracting a few arrows, I'll go one step further.

I think it not right to villify posters on this board who patronized G3 last year in its first few months. Further, I think it a bit unfair to insinuate or directly state as some have that certain posters here willfully overlooked the havoc and harm being wrought for a discounted meal.

If you go back to the fall, 2010 time frame in this thread, you'll see dozens of posters, new and long-established dr.com members, who patronized G3 and praised what they experienced. I was one of them. Couple of thoughts:

- I imagine most, like me, took advantage of Donna's deal simply because it represented good or great value in terms of food for money; same as most of us probably do anywhere

- Speaking only for myself, I knew then about his Bebo problems (had also tried and intensely disliked my own Bebo experience) but, as many others have posted here, believe in second chances and the inherent good in most people

- the current situation detailed in Carman's article is more advanced, more egregious and more inexplicable than where it was last fall

Let's call spades spades. But maybe okay to ask that we not implicate each other over agendas assumed but unknown.

I'm certainly not judging the choices made by anyone else here, but MY choice was, and is, to not patronize G3. This choice was primarily based on the past actions of the chef and owners, which demonstrate a repeated pattern stretching back over a decade or more. Poor service experiences at Bebo and the previous Galileo also influenced that decision,. And let's not forget the steady stream of emails from the chef offering cooking classes in his home - cash only, of course - throughout the break between Bebo and G3, while tax obligations and employees remained unpaid. Taxes that were collected from me and other diners and not delivered as they should have been. I'm not interested in being stolen from - as a diner or a taxpayer.

I absolutely believe in second (or third) changes, but the history and pattern here are too egregious for me to overlook. YMMV

And let's not forget the steady stream of emails from the chef offering cooking classes in his home - cash only, of course - throughout the break between Bebo and G3, while tax obligations and employees remained unpaid.

I had noticed the other day I got my first invite again for more of those classes. I thought "Huh, I haven't heard anything about G3, I wonder what's up..."

Then I saw the article today. Ohhhh....

"which demonstrate a repeated pattern stretching back over a decade or more....let's not forget the steady stream of emails from the chef offering cooking classes in his home - cash only, of course - ...while tax obligations and employees remained unpaid. Taxes that were collected from me and other diners and not delivered as they should have been. I'm not interested in being stolen from - as a diner or a taxpayer."

Well put! Personally, I would not patronize this latest disgrace. After Bebo, I refuse to patronize a venture with Donna's name attached - even with the usual disclaimers he, like Sgt Schultz, knows nothing. Repeatedly fails to pay taxes, fails to pay hard working staff, stiffs vendors...a long and tawdry trail leaving whole lotta hurt yet again.

Why anyone would justify subsidizing this outrageous conduct as a desire to sample fare from this chef is beyond me. I reread last year's posts clamoring here to "respect the craft." The only "craft" on parade is the exact same cunning that continues to exploit hard working folks living paycheck to paycheck, harming DC area businesses depedent on a customer honoring their obligations and municipalities now spending valuable resources to fight a tax evading scourge.

Only one lesson here: those who patronze this unseemly behavior only encourage it and promote more pain.

Words and deeds.

It's unfathomable how this can go on so long, with so many lawsuits, and repetitions of the same offenses. Something's wrong with our legal system methinks. Loopholes in desperate need of closing.

It goes on because people ignore well known facts because they are looking for good or great value in terms of food for money, and belief in the inherent goodness of people and second chances.

Only one lesson here: those who patronze this unseemly behavior only encourage it and promote more pain.

And those who go online and bitch about it but do nothing else also exacerbate that pain. I suspect that most of us who took advantage of the offer feel neither pride nor shame that we did so (I mean, it's not as if we all don't give our money daily to known scoundrels, just not as locally infamous as Donna). If it really bothers you and others so much, why not start a fund to benefit those G3 employees who were most seriously hurt by Donna's misdeeds? Ask those of us who benefited from the DR.com offer or who has otherwise patronized the restaurant to donate the cost of our meals, and find others who did not to match that amount. I'll give the, what? $95 I spent, gladly. Get a socially minded chef who shares your views to get together a dinner to help them, make that a DR.com event; I'll show up. It probably won't make much a dent in what they're owed, but at least you'd have done something substantive, and given us poor sinners who bought and ate Donna's food a way to atone for our ethical lapses. And you'd actually have done something worthy of your self-congratulation.

And those who go online and bitch about it but do nothing else also exacerbate that pain. I suspect that most of us who took advantage of the offer feel neither pride nor shame that we did so (I mean, it's not as if we all don't give our money daily to known scoundrels, just not as locally infamous as Donna). If it really bothers you and others so much, why not start a fund to benefit those G3 employees who were most seriously hurt by Donna's misdeeds? Ask those of us who benefited from the DR.com offer or who has otherwise patronized the restaurant to donate the cost of our meals, and find others who did not to match that amount. I'll give the, what? $95 I spent, gladly. Get a socially minded chef who shares your views to get together a dinner to help them, make that a DR.com event; I'll show up. It probably won't make much a dent in what they're owed, but at least you'd have done something substantive, and given us poor sinners who bought and ate Donna's food a way to atone for our ethical lapses. And you'd actually have done something worthy of your self-congratulation.

Here's my opinion, without any knowledge or factual basis: First, Carrado is the real problem. He runs the money. Either Roberto owes him something bigger than blood, or Roberto is just really really stupid. In any case, Roberto is a horrible business person and can't run his own show. Corrado seems to know something or at least how to manipulate the poor guy. Second, there's a warehouse somewhere in South Arlington full of expensive wine. Follow Corrado and you'll find it.

Agree with Tujague. Average life expectancy of an American is 78 years old. Let's say the average diner begins paying for their own restaurant adventures around age 23 . . . that's 55 years of an autonomous dining life. 365 days/year * 55 years/autonomous dining life * 3 meals/day = 60, 225 meals/autonomous dining life. To single out any one meal as being the best or particular memorable is really hyperbolic praise to begin with (guilty as charged). However, to actually judge others based on where they choose to eat for a single meal, and to actually assign meaning to that meal, is far-fetched.

It goes on because people ignore well known facts because they are looking for good or great value in terms of food for money, and belief in the inherent goodness of people and second chances.

The excerpt you quoted was of course in reference to the judicial system but suspect that was obvious.

I don't think one person on this or any thread has condoned the behavior or even failed to condemn it. I'm not sure what the protocols are for separating threads but this feels like it might be another good candidate. That way, this thread can be about G3 and whatever its future holds and another thread can be where those so inclined can debate whether dr.com posters and those who patronized g3 last fall are why Donna doesn't pay his staff.

Oh, and +1 on Tujague's point. I think a bit too much sanctimoniousness on this thread ostensibly about a restaurant.

I'm not sure what the protocols are for separating threads but this feels like it might be another good candidate. That way, this thread can be about G3

This is about G3, and for that reason, I'd ask that moderators not start a separate thread for this discussion. It is entirely relevant to the decision of whether to eat at G3.

Agree with Tujague. Average life expectancy of an American is 78 years old. Let's say the average diner begins paying for their own restaurant adventures around age 23 . . . that's 55 years of an autonomous dining life. 365 days/year * 55 years/autonomous dining life * 3 meals/day = 60, 225 meals/autonomous dining life. To single out any one meal as being the best or particular memorable is really hyperbolic praise to begin with (guilty as charged). However, to actually judge others based on where they choose to eat for a single meal, and to actually assign meaning to that meal, is far-fetched.

except when that person is a felon with a known history that folks chose to ignore for whatever reason. Getting hyper defensive now after another case of it doesn't really change anything, and pointing to those that chose not to eat there for ethical reasons is just an attempt to absolve themselves of any blame. There is a fundamental difference between a boycott and the creation of charity. The assertion that the only way to show you care is to actively create something for everything you choose to boycott is hollow. If you don't care, you don't care. That's fine, but don't try and give people grief who saw it coming and chose not to take part.

Roberto Donna in a deposition: I'll be a salaried employee at G3, earning $50,000/year.

G3 paperwork on file with the DC Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration: The restaurant's owner is RCR, which is owned by Mabel LLC, whose managing members are Corrado Bonino and ... Roberto Donna's wife.