Meyer Lemons

porcupine

Yes. I've done it before with Meyers, which are closer to a sour-ish tangerine than a Eureka lemon, in my book. Salted Meyers have a gentler tang.

I'm thinking of making some preserverd lemons while the Meyers are in season and I was wondering if I could just use a hinged glass jar with rubber gasket, instead of something like a Mason jar?

I'm thinking of making some preserverd lemons while the Meyers are in season and I was wondering if I could just use a hinged glass jar with rubber gasket, instead of something like a Mason jar?

That's what I use and it works fine. Be aware that if you get the brine on the metal parts of the fastening mechanism, it will etch them and leave whitish, cloudy marks. To keep it from happening to more of them, I just made that one the dedicated preserved lemon jar.

The season is ending, and Mr. lperry drove home from Florida passing by my parents' house. The old Meyer lemon is starting to flower, so they are picking all the fruit, and I am lucky enough to have received a big bag full. If you've ever wondered what the original Meyers look like, here they are (paring knife for size).

post-3913-0-62015500-1361732957_thumb.jp

Each one is about the size of a large navel orange, and the skin is a little thicker than a kumquat's, but thinner than a juice orange's. Stores now sell the "Improved Meyer", which was bred for smaller, more uniform size and a thicker skin for shipping. These are less than 24 hours off the tree, so I'll juice and zest them before the fragrance fades, then pack everything into the freezer. There will be between 2/3 and 1 cup of juice from each fruit, so Meyer lemon drinks and desserts will last all summer. Such a nice surprise. :)

• Like 3