Washington Post Food Section

CrescentFresh

It would have been really easy to write the article without the "look at how cool I am for breaking the rules" shtick.
One of the main issues that perhaps hasn't been articulated is EXACTLY why the article is problematic. A number of others have written about the place, but the difference was that they did not disclose the location. It would have been fine to have even done the "cool" schtick without having rather obviously revealing the location of the joint. Because ultimately it was the reveal of the location that KILLS a substantial portion of the concept, which is to have some degree of secrecy and intrigue.

One of the main issues that perhaps hasn't been articulated is EXACTLY why the article is problematic. A number of others have written about the place, but the difference was that they did not disclose the location. It would have been fine to have even done the "cool" schtick without having rather obviously revealing the location of the joint. Because ultimately it was the reveal of the location that KILLS a substantial portion of the concept, which is to have some degree of secrecy and intrigue.

I'm sure the Kool Kids Klub will find another secret clubhouse in which to reconvene. My basement is available (though, I'm likely not on the guest list after these posts). :lol:

Why, by the way, would anyone assume you can invite a bunch of journalists and bloggers around for a secret drink and keep your drinking place secret? This is Washington, we consider revealing state secrets to be something of a local folk art, like Carolina barbecue or Delta blues. You want to keep something secret, it's best not to put it on the web.

[A moderator's note: I've been following this thread, and everytime I think I have something to add, I decide things are best left unsaid. This seemingly insignificant topic is interesting and relevant on many levels, and is chugging along quite nicely on its own, without any help or hindrance from me. Carry on.]

[The Other Mod's note - my thoughts as well. Especially when we step down that slippery slope of foodie online hangouts as amateur journalism. Play on, folks.]

Two comments about today's Free Range. First, I can appreciate the difficulty of trying to recommend a book on Ethiopian cooking - Gubeen has exactly one good one, printed in the '90s by a DC-area vanity press and difficult to find - but c'mon, Marcus Samuelsson was raised Swedish from infancy. Wouldn't the more significant credential be that he's a kick-ass chef?

Second, Goya ginger beer has no business in a Dark 'n Stormy (use Barritt's, or Regatta). I'm a frickin' heathen for using DG sometimes, but it plays to my sweet tooth. The thing to do with Goya is to mix a highball, using a good rye whisky like Rittenhouse. It's not "ginger oil" that gives Goya that distinctive kick; it's the added capsicum, a trait shared with the hard-to-acquire Blenheim Extra-Hot. Blenheim is a little drier and a lot brighter and detailed, but I can find Goya cheaply and in quantity at SFW. YMMV. TTFN.

My sentiments exactly. Very disappointing to see someone behave so inappropriately and without regard for others even if in the name of journalism.

Yes, but was it any worse or weirder than Kliman triple teaming (3 critics at different tables) and Twittering his comments throughout his meal on his cell phone on the FIRST NIGHT Adour was open? Talk about desperate for a scoop.

I'm sure the Kool Kids Klub will find another secret clubhouse in which to reconvene. My basement is available (though, I'm likely not on the guest list after these posts). :lol: [/url].
Cool kids? Charles, that's the first time I've ever heard of people dressing up in period costume, serving cocktails from 1888 that they've researched from old, dusty books, being called the cool kids. I suppose Star Trek geeks are the hipster elite and Williamsburg (Virginia not Brooklyn) impersonators are trend setters. But we love it, so that's why we do it. Enough said.

Thanks for the support Adam and DR folks. Adam, your contribution to drinking in D.C. is a continuous source of inspiration and you're an absolute original.

P.S. The next H2M will be held at a [Popular DR Member's Basement Named After a Restaurant FOH Position].

Cool kids? Charles, that's the first time I've ever heard of people dressing up in period costume, serving cocktails from 1888 that they've researched from old, dusty books, being called the cool kids.

What's cooler than serving old fashioned Old Fashionds and and spending time in the stacks? I mean, the Renaissance Festival, of course, but other than that? :lol:

I'd like to thank Mr. Wilson for putting some local content in his Spirits column, since we hadn't seen any since August 6th. If he'd like to do more locally focused stories in the same style I'd suggest the following ledes:

Citronelle doesn't allow corkage and requires jackets. Naturally, the first thing I did when I walked in wearing a tank top was present a bottle of Screaming Eagle...
The Black Cat only takes cash. Needless to say, I ordered a round for everyone and handed the bartender my AmEx...
Ray's Hell-Burger has a sign that states shoes and shirts are required. Of course, I removed my sneakers and t-shirt before heading in...
Komi doesn't take reservations for parties larger than four persons. So I showed up Saturday night with ten people...

Excellent idea. I'm on it.
Of course, without revealing too much, H2M has seriously been considering having a period-specific themed night from the Eighties, replete with goofy Flock of Seagulls (see the bird theme) hair-do's, stripper shots, popped-collars and John Hughes films. Instead of reproducing the "speakeasy" environment we'll have an Andrew Dice Clay impersonator as the door man who refuses entry to those without proper shoulder padding. In preparation, I've picked up a copy of the 1982 Playboy Bartender's Guide and it's sitting on the shelf in between David Embury's classic bartending tome and Charles H. Baker, Jr.'s always clever "Gentleman's Companion." Although, part of me wonders if this will just be compared to the saturation of Eighties-themed bars in Des Moines. A risk, perhaps, we're willing to take. Media be advised!

Of course, without revealing too much, H2M has seriously been considering having a period-specific themed night from the Eighties, replete with goofy Flock of Seagulls (see the bird theme) hair-do's, stripper shots, popped-collars and John Hughes films. Instead of reproducing the "speakeasy" environment we'll have an Andrew Dice Clay impersonator as the door man who refuses entry to those without proper shoulder padding. In preparation, I've picked up a copy of the 1982 Playboy Bartender's Guide and it's sitting on the shelf in between David Embury's classic bartending tome and Charles H. Baker, Jr.'s always clever "Gentleman's Companion." Although, part of me wonders if this will just be compared to the saturation of Eighties-themed bars in Des Moines. A risk, perhaps, we're willing to take. Media be advised!

Oy yoy, Between the Sheets on the Beach and Slippery Nipples. Not again!! :lol:

Melon Ball shooters all around! Slippery Nipples! Sex on the Beach!

And, of course Long Island Iced Teas, followed by pre-HIV casual rutting.

(Anybody else remember the Pierce Street Annex?)

Derek, strangely enough your brother mentioned last night that he was looking to bring back the stripper shot (although the one I was served does not seem like the likely drink of choice for your average DC stripper; this was more of a Nexus Gold level of shot). Perhaps the new incarnation of H2M could involve both Browns. On the other hand, you could consider yourself scooped and return to your earlier concept of a frozen drink bar. There is an urgent need in DC, as evidenced by the lines at Lauriol Plaza.

Derek, strangely enough your brother mentioned last night that he was looking to bring back the stripper shot (although the one I was served does not seem like the likely drink of choice for your average DC stripper; this was more of a Nexus Gold level of shot). Perhaps the new incarnation of H2M could involve both Browns. On the other hand, you could consider yourself scooped and return to your earlier concept of a frozen drink bar. There is an urgent need in DC, as evidenced by the lines at Lauriol Plaza.
Yes, you're right. Frozen drinks are hot (uhhhh... you get what I mean). Time to get an anti-griddle and test tubes, which are ironically replacing slushy machines. Maybe frozen yogurt drinks! I mean, if you're going to be trite, go all the way, right?

I think what got me about the article was the tone of it, myself. There's not just the "I not only used my cellphone but also published the address" but the final line: "I guess I can learn to live with a speak-easy or two."

Personally, as someone else already put it in here, when I went to H2M I saw it as a sign of the dedication and commitment of the people behind it, using their time off to bring something cool to the area. Unfortunately, it's clear not everyone felt that way; there was one online review I saw that also gave away the location and basically "boo hoo, it was slow and crowded".

Perhaps if they have move again it'll be less crowded, and maybe this is part of the learning experience: what do y'all (looks at Justin and Derek and Owen) want to do with it?

Is it supposed to be a cool hangout with good drinks full of people and basically an open secret of where it is and how to get in, or some place quiet and dedicated to a smaller crowd that has been "vetted", basically, by someone who says "you can trust these people not to broadcast this and to appreciate the drinks"?

Could you do a night where you just play the weeks worth of Howard Stern really loud and there would be no talking. You would order drinks like you order sushi, with numbers to indicate how many of each order. I think Sirius would back you.

Derek, strangely enough your brother mentioned last night that he was looking to bring back the stripper shot (although the one I was served does not seem like the likely drink of choice for your average DC stripper; this was more of a Nexus Gold level of shot).
I thought a stripper shot was consumed using the anatomy of your favorite stripper as a drinking vessel. I imagine that our own Il Duce would approve.

From the Going Out Gurus' Post chat:

Union Station: What's the buzz on Hummingbird to Mars, the new speakeasy I keep hearing about? Some have told me it's tricky to get a reservation.

Fritz: Well, after yesterday's food section piece, it's going to be a lot harder, as I understand that Hummingbird to Mars is no more. Shame, because I really, really enjoyed the cocktails there, and Owen, Justin and Derek would certainly be in my list of the top bartenders in D.C.

If you're looking for an excellent day trip, consider a little antiquing and history wrapped around a picnic bought at this joint.

Mrs. B and I stumbled across it by accident on afternoon, when we took a wrong turn and stumbled across the mill, which works and sells stone-ground meal (and cookbooks). Seeing the picnic benches stretched out around the mill we poked our head into the store and were pleasantly surprised to discover the excellent selection of wines and savories Mr. Hagedorn describes. If you're discreet (I recommend paper cups) they don't seem to mind if you sip the wine on one of the mill's less obvious tables. And, after, (well, probably too late in the season for this) you can hunt up a creek to swim in.

Good catch by the Post, excellent neighborhood in which to spend an Autumn afternoon.

Ugh. Again with the cupcakes. I usually like the WP Food section, but this whole cupcake thing has gotten completely out of hand. The weekly cupcake "wars" thing was fine, but do we really need a HUGE cover story about the results? (I understand that it coincides with election day, very clever)

I think that there are plenty of other food stories/businesses that could use the press a lot more than the already overwhelmed and busy cupcake joints. Please make it stop.

I think that there are plenty of other food stories/businesses that could use the press a lot more than the already overwhelmed and busy cupcake joints. Please make it stop.

Yeah. Maybe they could run some more stories on hamburger joints. :lol:

The weekly cupcake "wars" thing was fine, but do we really need a HUGE cover story about the results? (I understand that it coincides with election day, very clever)

Fair enough, but while much of the WP and other newspaper sections across the country have gotten progressively worse as newspaper budgets are slashed, the WP Food Section has overall showed marked improvement over the past year. I particularly enjoyed today's wine column.

Kudos to the WP Food Section for Dave's column, for the beer/spirits columns, for more print for Jane Black and occasional pieces from Melissa McCart, for the CSA weekly bit (which would really be great if it was less a "guess what I got this week" diary and more a "here's what to do with all these random things" column), and for the Chef's on Call concept - all positive developments over the past year or so.

I think that there are plenty of other food stories/businesses that could use the press a lot more than the already overwhelmed and busy cupcake joints.

That somebody or something could "use the press" should never, ever play when it comes to making editorial decisions.

ETA: To clarify here, I'm talking about writing stories about people/places that are trying to sell things. ("Businesses," I believe they're called.) Not the whole giving voice to the voiceless thing. Businesses that "could use the press" should not rely on the press to get them more business.

Fair enough, but while much of the WP and other newspaper sections across the country have gotten progressively worse as newspaper budgets are slashed, the WP Food Section has overall showed marked improvement over the past year. I particularly enjoyed today's wine column.

Kudos to the WP Food Section for Dave's column, for the beer/spirits columns, for more print for Jane Black and occasional pieces from Melissa McCart, for the CSA weekly bit (which would really be great if it was less a "guess what I got this week" diary and more a "here's what to do with all these random things" column), and for the Chef's on Call concept - all positive developments over the past year or so.

Thanks!

Btw, those of you who aren't sick of cupcakes (and yes, it's ending today), come to our online chat at 1 p.m. if you want to ask the Georgetown Cupcake owners how they do what they do.

It's here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...&s_pos=list

That somebody or something could "use the press" should never, ever play when it comes to making editorial decisions.

ETA: To clarify here, I'm talking about writing stories about people/places that are trying to sell things. ("Businesses," I believe they're called.) Not the whole giving voice to the voiceless thing. Businesses that "could use the press" should not rely on the press to get them more business.

Good point. I am not saying that the WP (or any other media) should give press to a business unless they deserve it. I think the media should try and seek out new and interesting places to write about. Due to the internet (and boards such as this one) it is much easier to find out about such places.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that the whole cupcake thing seems a bit overkill. The food section dedicated a weekly feature, a cover story, a chat, etc, etc.. to the cupcake "craze". I just think there are other businesses out there that are deserving of mentions, writeups, whatever.

Also, this post is not meant to be self-serving. We (Artisan Confections) have been very lucky and gracious for our press mentions. I just wish the same for other start-ups and small businesses out there.

I thought that the recipe for butter poached prime rib looked interesting. I seem to remember some posts about cooking meat in clarified butter before popping it on the grill. I just can't seem to put my fingers on them.
The Bourbon Steak thread includes some recent posts about their technique of poaching in clarified butter.

Clandestine bar tending ingredient -- I love it -- who knew? From today's Spirits column:

"Instead of celery salt, I use a few dashes of my latest favorite ingredient, celery bitters, which are made by a German company called the Bitter Truth and will soon be legally available in the United States. (A bartender tells me it has yet to be approved for sale here.) Many of the finer bartenders in Washington already use them, and there are shops in the area that sell them clandestinely."

MeMc delivered exactly what I told except I am an Alexandria Resident. haha
I noticed that :P Might be fun to set up a tour in the next few weeks with Chinese New Year coming up. I assume there will be special, seasonal items available for the holiday. Where is the Annandale H Mart and is it comparable to the Merrifield store?

I noticed that :P Might be fun to set up a tour in the next few weeks with Chinese New Year coming up. I assume there will be special, seasonal items available for the holiday. Where is the Annandale H Mart and is it comparable to the Merrifield store?

Of course, shopping around Chinese New Year will be one of the most interesting time of the year at the Super H.

Annandal location is much smaller than other H marts but it carries most of important groceries. It doesn't have a food court. I bought lobsters there last week and we had wonderful steamed lobsters. It is located at 7885 Heritage Drive Annandale, VA 22003, which is other side of Little River Turnpike from Yechon.

Nice job, MM! How many trips did you make? Were Grover and the chefs on different days?
I met each person at different stores on different days, then circled back around to each on my own. I'm not a fan of big markets and crowds normally-- whole foods at 6 on a sunday night is my least favorite time-- but it was fun to be there when it was bustling. Tasty samples, too.

Nice job, MM! How many trips did you make? Were Grover and the chefs on different days?

The Editor's intent was to explore the differences in the points of view of a Korean home cook and two chefs with different cooking styles. Melissa told me that we might influence each other if we went together.

Interesting article today on how restaurants are preparing for the inauguration.

Clyde's is next door to Verizon Center, so the staff has experience with large crowds. In a regular week, Clyde's has food delivered every day except Sunday. But next Monday is a holiday. On Inauguration Day, Tuesday, the roads will be closed. That means Clyde's kitchen needs 3,000 pounds of chicken wings, about 3 1/2 tons of french fries and everything else it serves to be delivered Saturday if it's going to make it through the big day.

Clyde's solution was to get special permission to station a 16-foot refrigerated truck on its loading dock for extra storage. Other chefs don't have that option. Oyamel's Joe Raffa and Cafe Atlantico's Terri Cutrino have persuaded their suppliers to deliver on Sunday and before dawn Monday, when they hope traffic will still flow. "If we get deliveries on Monday, it should be sufficient," said Cutrino, who is scheduled to work from 4 a.m. to midnight on Tuesday. "If for some reason that changes, it will be a whole different story."

I like that the Post seems to have been doing more "food journalism" lately, rather than just reviews and recipes of booze and food.

Jane Black may not be American Flatbread, but she's up there w Kim Severson as being one of the most versatile, thoughtful and articulate food journalists around.

Interesting article today based on trip to Lima. Black explores the merging of immigrant and indigenous cultures in Peruvian dishes. Hence, the title that describes a historical development vs. a self-conscious trend. As to the latter, there's a bit of High/Low in fancy restaurants that appropriate street food in the ways that celebrated North American chefs do.

Inspired by today's Food section article in the Post, I must say that I too have an obsession with sandwiches. So, where do you get your favorite sandwiches? Off the top of my head, two of my favorites are the Surfside at Jettie's and the croque monsieur at Brasserie Beck. I think we should exclude burgers, especially since they have their own topic.

This is a pretty lame topic for an story.

This is a pretty lame topic for an story.
I didn't find the sandwich recipes from the article that interesting, but I had never heard of the scanwiches blog, and the article was worth it for the pointer to that alone. I wasted all kinds of time looking through that site yesterday :rolleyes:.

Congratulations Joe, Jane, et al!

2009 James Beard Foundation Journalism Awards

Newspaper Food Section

The Washington Post

Disclosure: I am an employee of TWP. (But I don't write for the Food section. [Except for the two times that I did.])