Upgrades to Invision

goodeats

Also, please report problems here as you find them. Please give as much supporting detail as you can, and an example, if possible. I'll cut/paste the problems and open a ticket for each one with Invision, and report on their resolution as things are fixed.

Not sure if this falls under "problem" or "former option," but in the PMs, you used to be able to create & name a mail folder, check boxes on the PMs and then move them to the designated folder. Now, you can create a folder, check boxes, but the only option that comes up are "delete, mark as read/unread, turn on/off notifications," but no "move" option. Is this option not offered under 3.0.0? Thanks so much for taking care of this Don!!

Has anyone not gotten their PMs restored? If so, would a few people report the situation here?

Yup, 151 "Conversations" restored, mostly with red "X"s, with hover-text indicating that means each is a "Deleted Message". Only 4 are marked as not deleted, and oddly, those are the ones I imagine I might've actually deleted (one was about VaFoodNut, hahaha)

I clicked "View New Content" in the upper right corner, which gives me a list of topics that have new posts since my last logon.

Oddly, the display has two lines for each topic. If you click anywhere in the first line, it takes you to the first page of the topic. If you click the second line in the topic name, it takes you to the first new post in the topic.

Not fond of double lines for new content -- takes up twice (right, Jake?) the space on the page. If for some reason I wanted to go to beginning of topic, a.k.a. "old content," from new posts, I could simply scroll up or click on first page button.

(I add a toast of thanks to you, Don. Hope the new "drink-when-someone-grumbles-about-the-upgrade" DR drinking game hasn't taken too much of a toll on you. Go easy on the acetaminophen....)

Not fond of double lines for new content -- takes up twice (right, Jake?) the space on the page. If for some reason I wanted to go to beginning of topic, a.k.a. "old content," from new posts, I could simply scroll up or click on first page button.

(I add a toast of thanks to you, Don. Hope the new "drink-when-someone-grumbles-about-the-upgrade" DR drinking game hasn't taken too much of a toll on you. Go easy on the acetaminophen....)

I'm not fond of the "double lines" for new content either, and think it might be a bug in the conversion. I'm going to report a problem ticket to Invision right now.

Grumble away, I say. The squeaky wheels will get the oil - don't assume that I'm on top of everything that irks you about the upgrade ... my silence over the course of a few days indicates that I got busy and forgot, so remind me if there are issues!

The more I explore this upgrade, the more optimistic I am that it's going to be better than what we had. I think one big key is to make it look a little nicer, which I hope to do in the next week or two. There is a cottage industry out there of Invision developers, who implement little custom projects (or "apps," as they call them), and they don't seem to charge very much for the work.

Thanks for the toast! :D

I tend to embrace change, but this downgrade sucks, just sucks. Clicking on new content brings up double lines, neither of which will bring you to the last post (at least not in my experience); the screen space is less-efficiently used. It's so bad I have actually been discouraged from posting or reading anymore. The Invision Vista? Did I mention it sucks?

Clicking on new content brings up double lines, neither of which will bring you to the last post (at least not in my experience); the screen space is less-efficiently used. It's so bad I have actually been discouraged from posting or reading anymore.
Banco, on the forum home, did you turn off the "related new topics" box? That will maximize the screen space similar to the older version once you click on the forum threads.* Also, if you read upthread, I think the key is to start anew, meaning, go to the bottom of the page, click on "mark board as read," and then start using the "new content" link to bring up new content. It's working for me so far this way, and clicking on the 2nd, lower thread link will now actually bring me to the new post. HTH.

*ETA: Never mind. Once you start clicking on the thread, the screen space widens.

Clicking a link in a post used to open a new tab or window automatically; now, it repopulates in the current window, taking you away from dr.com. Hopefully a bug and not a feature...

I changed that setting two days ago, and it has worked for me ever since. Try going down to the bottom and clearing your cookies. Contact me if you still can't get it to work and we'll figure it out.

:D The "remember me" function on the login page really ought to be opt-in rather than opt-out. Y' think maybe Invision would get with the times and change that already?

Don, since you've asked us for feedback on things we'd like to see change, I second Porcupine's early complaint. This sort of thing is common in commercial sites, but it should be easy to get rid of on Invision.

And thanks! While it is more likely that a Mormon will buy you a drink than me, should you ever decide to visit a farmers market when I am around, I'd be happy to spring for a carton of berries to go next to the butter in your fridge. :blink:

I changed that setting two days ago, and it has worked for me ever since. Try going down to the bottom and clearing your cookies. Contact me if you still can't get it to work and we'll figure it out.

Cleaned the cookies, logged back in, still doesn't work.

FYI - clicking a link in a signature works, but not a link in a post body. Dining guide is a particularly bad example of this feature.

Cleaned the cookies, logged back in, still doesn't work.

FYI - clicking a link in a signature works, but not a link in a post body. Dining guide is a particularly bad example of this feature.

Okay, I tried a Dining Guide link and got the same result as you.

This setting::

Open posted links in a new window?

Forces links to open in a new window, if javascript is available.

is now set to "Yes." So either "javascript is not available" (whatever the Hell that means), or something needs to be re-cached. Before I fill out a ticket for Invision, can someone clarify what the javascript comment implies?

As long as we're going to enumerate things that are different...why is the Return to the top of the page button gone and now relegated to a somewhat grayed out line at the very bottom of the page? Why can I click on either of the duplicate lines and go to the last post in a forum? Which beggars the question, just why are there two lines for every forum?

I think one big key is to make it look a little nicer, which I hope to do in the next week or two. There is a cottage industry out there of Invision developers, who implement little custom projects (or "apps," as they call them), and they don't seem to charge very much for the work.

Thanks Don! I agree that it's important to make the site look nicer. The "upgraded" style looks a bit messy and cluttered...the earlier version had a nice, retro feel to it. Now it's like a cross between a forum and facebook...kinda weird. Hopefully you can find some apps that will help.

aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The View New Content thread is driving me nuts. I click on it and up comes two links, one inverted to the right, for each thread. Most of the time when I click on the first one I get the very first post in that thread. Sometimes I get the most recent post. Same thing when I click the inverted one. This happens on two different computers, one PC and one Mac. I convinced my temporary office mate that I was frustrated with online paperwork because I kept yelling at the computer all day. I've deleted the cookies so that's not the problem. Please tell me you can fix this.

Also, I miss the visual indication of pinned threads at the top and new threads that start below in the forums.

And it's a pain to send an initial PM to more than one person. I can't imagine trying to do an event like this.

Edited to add two more complaints:

All new topics don't show up in the new topic thread. I posted in the Oyamel thread early this morning and the Dean replied but the thread didn't show when I clicked the View New Topic button.

Also, while I like that the topic is in the heading of email notifications, I think something there still needs to be worked out. Inox was the first thread I got an email on after the upgrade and now a good portion of my emails say Inox, even though there is no update about Inox. Anyone else getting this?

Edited by hillvalley

Christ almighty, I learned quickly how to use the old version without recourse to a "how to" thread or a manual. This version has all the natural intuitiveness of tying a bow tie in front of a funhouse mirror while drunk. (Sorry to be so squeaky, but hey, I like getting greased.)

I feel your pain, my friends, I feel your pain. Hillvalley, the problem you just reported has been discussed twice on this thread already, and I mentioned upstream that I submitted a ticket to Invision.

Would anyone like to volunteer to help with these issues?

I feel your pain, my friends, I feel your pain. Hillvalley, the problem you just reported has been discussed on this thread already, and I mentioned upstream that I submitted a ticket to Invision.

Would anyone like to volunteer to help with these issues? (If so, please get in touch with me via PM - so far, not one single person has offered to help.)

Don--

Invision will no longer pick up my dry cleaning for me, calculate my taxes, respond to the many e-mails I receive from Paris Hilton begging me to go out with her, program the telemetry for the replica Vergeltungswaffe 2 rockets I am building in my basement in preparation for the upcoming Sietsema review, or find my binky. Not only that, I now have to turn my computer on and off myself.

Thanks a lot for the "downgrade." Since the site will no longer do these things for me, perhaps you could take care of these chores for me. In fact, I kind of expect it. Can't you do anything right?

You know, you could be a little more appreciative of the time I spend here.

Cheers,

Michael

Don--

Invision will no longer pick up my dry cleaning for me, calculate my taxes, respond to the many e-mails I receive from Paris Hilton begging me to go out with her, program the telemetry for the replica Vergeltungswaffe 2 rockets I am building in my basement in preparation for the upcoming Sietsema review, or find my binky.

Don, how come Invision did all this for Michael Landrum but not for me??!?!?!?! Is there some sort of caste system I'm unaware of? I mean, I know he owns great restaurants and all, but can't you make Invision work for me the way it worked for him? This belongs on your to do list post-haste!

aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The View New Content thread is driving me nuts. I click on it and up comes two links, one inverted to the right, for each thread.

It looks like this has been fixed. I only get 1 thread-line-link upon hitting "View New Content." Thanks Don & Invision! Maybe Hillvalley will now downgrade to 3a's, 5r's and 4h's now. :D

Search results are ordered either by relevance or by (inverse) date...but if you select "relevance", simple queries tend to result in a (forward) date-order. Presumably the items were equal-relevance and it fell to forward date as a secondary sorting criterion, but this seems bass-ackwards to me. Shouldn't freshness play a minor role in relevance, in a user-created-content context?

BTW, Don was spot-on about Google whacking my display option in the old version of the board. Something I hadn't noticed before, or at least hadn't remembered noticing, as I rarely access postings that way.

Search results are ordered either by relevance or by (inverse) date...but if you select "relevance", simple queries tend to result in a (forward) date-order. Presumably the items were equal-relevance and it fell to forward date as a secondary sorting criterion, but this seems bass-ackwards to me. Shouldn't freshness play a minor role in relevance, in a user-created-content context?

I suspect this is a design flaw, not a bug. I'm going to report it to Invision, however.

Other than the skins ("look") of the program, what are the remaining problems people are having? I am curious, as I came across one post that the formatting was still funny.... Please feel free to PM me if you don't feel like posting here. Thx.

Other than the skins ("look") of the program, what are the remaining problems people are having? I am curious, as I came across one post that the formatting was still funny.... Please feel free to PM me if you don't feel like posting here. Thx.

It seems to randomly forget that I've reset it to the lo-fi version on my Blackberry. Aside from that (and that is something I can easily live with!), things are going well.

I've had two comments just today from experienced users of this website, essentially saying 'I now need a user's manual to navigate dr.com.'

The letters surprised me a bit, because other than the fact that the new look is (temporarily) ABOMINABLY UGLY, I don't really see what else has changed in terms of day-to-day use. Can someone make this clear for me so I can work on it?

Thank you!

Rocks

I've had two comments just today from experienced users of this website, essentially saying 'I now need a user's manual to navigate dr.com.'

The letters surprised me a bit, because other than the fact that the new look is (temporarily) ABOMINABLY UGLY, I don't really see what else has changed in terms of day-to-day use. Can someone make this clear for me so I can work on it?

Thank you!

Rocks

One thing that's been particularly annoying since the change is that you can't simply click on a thread title and drop back into the thread where you were before - Invision 3 doesn't seem to use the "last visited" info like Invision 2 did, and if you click on a thread title it'll drop you at the very first post of the thread unless you specifically click on a page number or on the "x minutes ago" last post indicator, which on a particularly active thread means you end up backtracking one or two pages to figure out where it was you stopped reading. (and yes, I know the "view new posts" button is supposed to take care of this, but I don't like it.)

One thing that's been particularly annoying since the change is that you can't simply click on a thread title and drop back into the thread where you were before - Invision 3 doesn't seem to use the "last visited" info like Invision 2 did, and if you click on a thread title it'll drop you at the very first post of the thread unless you specifically click on a page number or on the "x minutes ago" last post indicator, which on a particularly active thread means you end up backtracking one or two pages to figure out where it was you stopped reading. (and yes, I know the "view new posts" button is supposed to take care of this, but I don't like it.)

Hannah, I'm not quite sure I'm following - maybe we need to talk on the phone? Does this thread on the Invision Peer-To-Peer Support forum address the same issue? I'm not sure.

Hannah, I'm not quite sure I'm following - maybe we need to talk on the phone? Does this thread on the Invision Peer-To-Peer Support forum address the same issue? I'm not sure.

It may, but that's a password protected forum and I can't see what it says; let me poke around some of the developer resources upthread and see if I can find something that explains what I'm talking about.

One thing that's been particularly annoying since the change is that you can't simply click on a thread title and drop back into the thread where you were before - Invision 3 doesn't seem to use the "last visited" info like Invision 2 did, and if you click on a thread title it'll drop you at the very first post of the thread...

Actually, Invision 2 did that as well. Almost certainly the problem is that during the upgrade, all individual thread placeholders were lost, meaning that you'll have to start over again. The easiest way to do that is to read everything you want to, then go back to the DR main page and (just once!) mark all posts as having been read - click on each dark icon in the leftmost column to turn them grey.

From that point onward, any new posts will be directly accessible. To jump directly to unread posts in a thread, click on the small rectangular orange icon (it's a nearly-illegible depiction of a dog-eared page bearing a right-arrow), which you'll find immediately to the left of each thread title.

Annoying is having the Back to Top, Mark Board As Read, Forum Home, and Delete My Cookies at the bottom of the page and View New Content stuck in the upper right of the page. I've had no problem with returning to the last message I read, but the ergonomics of this upgrade are horrible.

Annoying is having the Back to Top, Mark Board As Read, Forum Home, and Delete My Cookies at the bottom of the page and View New Content stuck in the upper right of the page. I've had no problem with returning to the last message I read, but the ergonomics of this upgrade are horrible.

THIS I completely agree with. The mark all forums read button should be in multiple locations as should the back to top of page buttons. Making them so tiny and only at the extremem bottom of the page is the only annoying thing about the new version of the software. Other than, of course, how horribly ugly this new 'Web 2.0' lookee feely schlock is. The use of the little 'new posts in thread' indicator works like a charm for me otherwise.

Actually, Invision 2 did that as well. Almost certainly the problem is that during the upgrade, all individual thread placeholders were lost, meaning that you'll have to start over again. The easiest way to do that is to read everything you want to, then go back to the DR main page and (just once!) mark all posts as having been read - click on each dark icon in the leftmost column to turn them grey.

From that point onward, any new posts will be directly accessible. To jump directly to unread posts in a thread, click on the small rectangular orange icon (it's a nearly-illegible depiction of a dog-eared page bearing a right-arrow), which you'll find immediately to the left of each thread title.

Yeah, I did the "mark all posts as read" thing already. I didn't realize the orange thing was supposed to be clickable, since it's not what I was clicking on in 2.0 to get to the new content - I was clicking on the thread title.

THIS I completely agree with. The mark all forums read button should be in multiple locations as should the back to top of page buttons. Making them so tiny and only at the extremem bottom of the page is the only annoying thing about the new version of the software. Other than, of course, how horribly ugly this new 'Web 2.0' lookee feely schlock is. The use of the little 'new posts in thread' indicator works like a charm for me otherwise.

Actually, I don't remember where they were before. I'm not sure there's much I can do about these two buttons being at the bottom; it seems the "Back To Top" button should logically BE at the bottom, no? And do people really use the "Mark All Forums Read" feature? As moderator, I guess I tend not to use certain features that others might find crucial. Regardless, I'm afraid we may be stuck with these.

Again, I want to emphasize that I HATE how ugly the default "skin" is in Invision 3.0.0, and I will gladly pay a little money for a better skin. Right now, I think that not many new skins have been developed, but hopefully in the upcoming weeks, entrepreneurial designers will be offering them for sale. If anyone wants to hunt around for potential candidates, please do, and let me know what you find. I know that this is ultimately my responsibility, but I also have 80 trillion things I have to be doing, so some things are bound to slip. Still, I consider the overall "look and feel" of this website to be of primary importance; I wish I knew what to do about it right now.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Actually, I don't remember where they were before. I'm not sure there's much I can do about these two buttons being at the bottom; it seems the "Back To Top" button should logically BE at the bottom, no?

In version 2.0 it was on the left side of every message. That way if you decided you weren't really interested in 1000 ways to cook a dishmop", you could click the Top button and return to the top where you could...

use the "Mark All Forums Read" feature
I used it quite a bit. If there are 30 new topics and I'm only interested in 3, after I've read those topics, I'll use the All Forums Read button so that the next time I look for new topics, I don't have to wade through the ones I've ignored before.

And do people really use the "Mark All Forums Read" feature?

Actually, I use that feature a lot. And I, too, find it annoying that it is in small type at the bottom of the page. That being said, I have to say that after the intial shock of the first few days, I am finding the upgrade to be no problem at all. There are some things that I even like better.

There is one thing that I've noticed is still a problem. When a post has a quote, the quote box bleeds to the left into the description of the person who posted.

And do people really use the "Mark All Forums Read" feature?

Constantly; every time I read the forums (which is more than I should probably :rolleyes: ). Every time I go through the new threads I hit the "Mark All Forums Read" button so I know the threads I should look at next time. I'm not a huge fan of where it is now, but I've adapted already. A 'Ctrl-End'(to get to the bottom of the page)-click takes care of it.

In version 2.0 it was on the left side of every message. That way if you decided you weren't really interested in 1000 ways to cook a dishmop", you could click the Top button and return to the top where you could...

I used it quite a bit. If there are 30 new topics and I'm only interested in 3, after I've read those topics, I'll use the All Forums Read button so that the next time I look for new topics, I don't have to wade through the ones I've ignored before.

Thanks for clarifying this for me to don....Having the 'Back to Top' within each post is extremely useful and desirable to me. The 'Mark All Forums Read' is something that I use constantly, every time I visit the site. Once I am done reading what I am interested in, I use the feature to mark everything read so that only the new stuff appears as really new to me the next time I show up. Having it at the bottom of the page in tiny print, and ONLY there is crazy.

I know that placing these things in multiple locations and the like IS possible, but requires some coding. I am not a code jockey, nor am I willing to learn, so I can live with things as they are since I'm not running the show here. But, as something that could be improved, I am happy to point it out and then move along. :rolleyes:

OK, I've had no issues so far, until yesterday. Seems I can't receive personal messages. My inbox is not full and I have not disabled the function. Any ideas what's going on?

You know, I tried to send someone a PM a couple days ago, and it said they couldn't receive them. Then I tried a day later and it worked. Anyone else?

ETA I just sent you one and it worked :rolleyes:

Maybe the first time someone gets sent a message under 3.0.0 someone it fails, but on subsequent attempts it works?

Edited by DonRocks

You know, I tried to send someone a PM a couple days ago, and it said they couldn't receive them. Then I tried a day later and it worked. Anyone else?

ETA I just sent you one and it worked :rolleyes:

Maybe the first time someone gets sent a message under 3.0.0 someone it fails, but on subsequent attempts it works?

I've tried and failed with at least 4 DR members. Not this week. Last. The week before.